Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2013 Martin Earley Tour of Kildare

Options
  • 29-07-2013 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

The twelfth annual Martin Earley Tour of Kildare in aid of the Marie Keating Foundation takes place on Sunday 11th August.

The Tour of Kildare started in 2001 with about 20 cyclists taking part and is now one of the major leisure events on the cycling calendar. It offers participants the opportunity to cycle with one of Ireland's most successful cyclists, Giro d'Italia and Tour de France stage winner Martin Earley. Martin has again generously donated his time to host this year's event.

This year we have decided to alter the 2013 routes with both the traditional 100km and 50km routes being slightly extended to 110km and 65km. The 20km family cycle route remains the same. The 110 and 65km routes will leave the Naas Court Hotel, Main Street, Naas at 10am and will, for the first time, head out to Johnstown and pass over the motorway at Kill staying together behind the safety car until we reach the Straffan Road. Once through Straffan, the routes then separate about 300 meters after passing through the Barberstown Roundabout on the Maynooth Road when the 65km route turns left and the 110km heads straight on towards Taghadoe Cross. Left at Taghadoe followed soon after by Ladychapel and then bypassing Maynooth and heading into Kilcock along by the canal. Left again at Kilcock bridge and on towards the fast, open road to Clane. Meanwhile, the 65km takes a nice back road to Rathcoffey and into Clane via Clongoweswood College.

Clane GAA on the Prosperous Road, have kindly allowed us to use their facilities for the foodstop this year and this is located at 47km into the 110km route and 31km into the 65km route. After the foodstop both routes head to Prosperous, Kilmeague and for the first time this year, over the Hill of Allen and into Milltown. The routes separate again in Milltown with the 65km heading on straight for Newbridge and the 110km turning right towards the Curragh. Another right turn brings the 110km onto the familiar Boston Hill and then onto another new climb this year, Dunmurray Hill. Right turn at the top of Dunmurray and downhill via the duck pond and right to a new stretch of road that leads us to the foot of "The Wall". The Tour of Kildare would not be complete without a photo opportunity of cyclists ascending this traditional section of the TOK. Be advised, this section of four hills in about 20km will catch out those who have been tempted to go too fast in the earlier stages of the tour so pace yourselves! New route through Kildare town and we pass the National Stud and Japanese Gardens for the first time on the way across The Curragh Plains. Next up is Athgarvan and Two Mile House and we then head home via Killashee. After Milltown the 65km route takes a left before Newbridge and then another left at the College before heading back into Naas via Newhall.

Sign on for the 110km and 65km will open at 8.30am for a 10am start while the 20km family cycle starts at 12 noon. We hope to still have all the factors that have helped make the Tour of Kildare a success such as good mechanical backup provided again this year by EUROCYCLES, broom wagon and medical support, a friendly atmosphere and the now traditional burger when you finish at the Naas Court Hotel.

EUROCYCLES have also generously donated a €200 gift voucher which can be redeemed at any of their stores and everyone who signs up and pre pays online will be entered into a draw to win this voucher. So don't wait until the morning to sign on to be in with a chance to win. Online Registration at www.tourofkildare.com. Further information, event poster and route maps etc at www.tourofkildare.com and www.facebook.com/tourofkildare

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Also known as.......:)

hammerfest-logo.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Looks good. I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Looking forward to this probably the best road surface route in the country

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Ah, the Kildare County Championships. Always a good fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Looking forward to this probably the best road surface route in the country

You haven't been over The Wall so.

Route this year goes right by my front gate, some interesting changes but Haldir is right the section leading up to the Wall is tougher than it looks on paper, especially if the wind is blowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sheepfield

Well done to haldir and the people in Naas CC. I don't think this will be the same "hammerfest" as in previous years as the club is believed to be including rolling marshalls among the riders this year to keep an eye on some of the usual problems/loonies that pop up in this event. This is a good idea.
    The four hills in quick succession plus the new approach to "The Wall" make this route a whole lot better, definitely harder but also safer than before; plus at 95km+ we head across the Curragh towards the golf course on a very windy stretch of open country - hope its behind us cos that can be really heavy going some times. Either way, its a great route and I hope Naas CC and Marie Keating get a record entry. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Marou

sheepfield wrote: »
    Well done to haldir and the people in Naas CC. I don't think this will be the same "hammerfest" as in previous years as the club is believed to be including rolling marshalls among the riders this year to keep an eye on some of the usual problems/loonies that pop up in this event. This is a good idea.
    The four hills in quick succession plus the new approach to "The Wall" make this route a whole lot better, definitely harder but also safer than before; plus at 95km+ we head across the Curragh towards the golf course on a very windy stretch of open country - hope its behind us cos that can be really heavy going some times. Either way, its a great route and I hope Naas CC and Marie Keating get a record entry. :)

Thinking of doing this event but just wondering what problems cropped up in the past with it? Presume you mean people treating it as a race?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Haldir

What has a tendency to happen on the Tour of Kildare is that after the safety car pulls away a 'lead group' usually puts the hammer down and treats the rest of the route like a 'race between themselves'. Sometimes they do not even bother to stop at the halfway foodstop (shock, horror!). This is not encouraged by NCC or the Marie Keating Foundation as you can find many of the cyclists in this lead group are not experienced racers, fit sportive riders would be a better description and unfortunately some of them lack the skills required to cycle at high speed in a group. The only solution is to let them at it and settle into a group that is going at a speed that suits you. With over 600 riders on the day, there will be several groups on the road at various cycling levels and speed so finding a compatible group should not prove difficult.
    The first half of the tour is flat on well paved roads while the second half still has good road surfaces (with a few brief exceptions) and has four hills in a row which will punish those who initially set out too fast. You can take a certain amount of satisfaction as you pass those who have blown a gasket after Allen, Boston, Dunmurray and 'The Wall!
    Just to reiterate, 'racing' is very much discouraged, the Tour of Kildare is a leisure sportive, do your racing in your club league or open races. Most importantly, cycle within your own personal cababilities and enjoy the day in the company of other like minded cyclists. The first rider back to Naas (someone has to be first) can bask in their own solitude :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Haldir wrote: »
    ......The first rider back to Naas (someone has to be first) can bask in their own solitude :rolleyes:

....or have their photo taken as the victor and posted on the NCC Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Haldir

Rua_ri wrote: »
    ....or have their photo taken as the victor and posted on the NCC Facebook page.
    People who should have known better unfortunately posted such pictures after the Wicklow Peaks but I can guarantee that it won't happen again!!!

• Advertisement

Did this happen before? I can't recall but maybe it did. And what is your point exactly?

You might be better off acknowledging the work that has been put into making this event safer - sportives attract all sorts of cyclists with all levels of skills and aspirations and the organisers do a lot to ensure safety on the day but ultimately each individual is responsible for their own behaviour.

And don't forget that we are in the company of one of the country's greatest cyclists too.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

sheepfield wrote: »
    Did this happen before? I can't recall but maybe it did. And what is your point exactly? .

See Haldir's response above.
    Didn't mean to hit a nerve.

Glad it was just an oversight by a member as the NCC is a fine club with good sportives that I have enjoyed in the past.

See Haldir's response above.
    Didn't mean to hit a nerve.

Glad it was just an oversight by a member as the NCC is a fine club with good sportives that I have enjoyed in the past.

No bother.

I think the Naas club run some very good sportives and I hope this one is as good as ever. Enjoy the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

Haldir wrote: »
    What has a tendency to happen on the Tour of Kildare is that after the safety car pulls away a 'lead group' usually puts the hammer down and treats the rest of the route like a 'race between themselves'. Sometimes they do not even bother to stop at the halfway foodstop (shock, horror!). This is not encouraged by NCC or the Marie Keating Foundation as you can find many of the cyclists in this lead group are not experienced racers, fit sportive riders would be a better description and unfortunately some of them lack the skills required to cycle at high speed in a group. The only solution is to let them at it and settle into a group that is going at a speed that suits you. With over 600 riders on the day, there will be several groups on the road at various cycling levels and speed so finding a compatible group should not prove difficult.
    The first half of the tour is flat on well paved roads while the second half still has good road surfaces (with a few brief exceptions) and has four hills in a row which will punish those who initially set out too fast. You can take a certain amount of satisfaction as you pass those who have blown a gasket after Allen, Boston, Dunmurray and 'The Wall!
    Just to reiterate, 'racing' is very much discouraged, the Tour of Kildare is a leisure sportive, do your racing in your club league or open races. Most importantly, cycle within your own personal cababilities and enjoy the day in the company of other like minded cyclists. The first rider back to Naas (someone has to be first) can bask in their own solitude :rolleyes:

I'm otherwise engaged on that day so won't be doing it this year, and maybe I'm just weird, but I'm less inclined to do it in future years having read this. The times I've done it I've enjoyed getting into the lead group and riding fast. I didn't feel I was racing as I didn't care if I came first or 10th in the first group, I just wanted to see if I could stay with them. The others in the group around me also seemed the same, although I guess there might have been a bit of a sprint for the line in Naas.
    When I did it I didn't see anybody doing anything illegal or dangerous, which is entirely different and should be discouraged, I can't really see the problem with a group riding a sportive hard though.

I guess I'll stick with the Tour of Louth in future, as they seem happy for people to get the hammer down if they can.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Guybrush T wrote: »
    I'm otherwise engaged on that day so won't be doing it this year, and maybe I'm just weird, but I'm less inclined to do it in future years having read this.

Ah here. It isn't directed at you personally.

I've done the Tour of Kildare a few times and in one year at least ended up doing it at a fair clip, because the course usually lends itself to that. Nothing wrong with riding fast within your ability.

But you do see some people treating sportives as races and that shouldn't be encouraged. There's plenty of races on the calendar if you want to race and its pretty dickish to start pulling risky manoeuvres or bawling people out at a leisure cycle. It's those people I reckon Haldir is talking about.

Any Naas event I've been to has always been exceptionally well run and I don't blame the club for wanting to keep their events safe and enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wisjoc

Does anyone know if you can still register for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Says in the OP that you can sign on in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DaveR1000

signed up for the 110k - and i don't have any hammers to put down:)

would know most of the roads and the surface is very decent

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

Looking forward to this, the route changes should make it more interesting not as flat a course as previous years also the dreaded Wall remains to be conquered ! Bring it on hopefully the weather will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭purple cow

Signed up for the 110km. Only my second sportive ever - after doing the Wicklow 100 earlier in the summer.

Looking forward to this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Signed up for the 65k, first time out at any cycling event so hoping it'll be decent weatherwise. I've done 50k, just getting into it, so should at least finish :-)

How is parking in naas usually? Do the council offices actually have enough parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭AnswerIs42

If you register online, do you still have to que for anything in the morning or can you just skip that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

AnswerIs42 wrote: »
    If you register online, do you still have to que for anything in the morning or can you just skip that?

If I remember correctly, you still have to sign on and collect your wrist band .
    But there are two sign on areas, one for those, who have registered online, and one for those, who haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Eamonnator wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, you still have to sign on and collect your wrist band .
    But there are two sign on areas, one for those, who have registered online, and one for those, who haven't.

How is security around there? Is it generally ok to leave bikes sitting around or do you need a lock at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

gerrowadat wrote: »
    How is security around there? Is it generally ok to leave bikes sitting around or do you need a lock at all?

Sign on is inside the Hotel grounds. Bicycles are not allowed into the grounds.
    Most riders leave their bikes outside, which is the Main Street.
    I have never had any problem, nor have I heard of bikes being stolen.
    However, "you pay your money and you take your chances"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

gerrowadat wrote: »
    How is parking in naas usually? Do the council offices actually have enough parking?

You might get lucky with on-street parking but the council offices are only a minutes cycle away and there's about 300 spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Couly

Signed up for the 110k. Glad to see the routes overlap so we're all mixed in together. Do you get anything at the end of it? other than a burger that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Stollaire

Is there a strava segment for the 2013 route? To get an idea of gradients, hills etc
    I find the map-my-ride information a little vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Stollaire wrote: »
    Is there a strava segment for the 2013 route? To get an idea of gradients, hills etc
    I find the map-my-ride information a little vague.

I know one of the Naas groups rode the route last weekend and a quick search found this, it's public so should be OK to share

http://www.strava.com/activities/72090362

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Signed up for the 110km. Might go retro for this one and bring some steel along for the craic.:)

Advertisement