Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kill it, cook it and eat it

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I currently am a meat eater but I would not be able to kill my own food
    Oh ya, have killed cooked and eaten loads of fluffy and feathery stuff. Much more honest way of feeding yourself and loved ones. Wish I could do it more often nowadays but don't currently live in a country where I can hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

As in killing a pet dog or something?
    Or do you mean raising animals for the sole purpose of killing them?

Former, no. Latter, sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

People regularly eat small spiders whilst asleep. Does that count? I remember reading that somewhere ages ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

People regularly eat small spiders whilst asleep. Does that count? I remember reading that somewhere ages ago.

You mean they don't wake the spiders first? To give them a decent chance of escape? LOUSY! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

As in killing a pet dog or something?
    Or do you mean raising animals for the sole purpose of killing them?

Former, no. Latter, sure.
    If it really came to it tho that dog would be another mouth to feed or could be used to feed you and your family. at the moment iv 3 dogs which would feed me and mine for about 3 weeks if needed, thats certainly not a resourse id pass up!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

I am a vegetarian anyway
    I would happily live on pure vegetables if I had to kill and eat my own meat.

I eat it because its convenient and tasty but theres no way I will kill any animal.

I'm happy to be ignorant on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

I live on a farm full of three legged animals. Love meat but cannot bring myself to kill one of my tasty friends.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Pull it, twist it, bop it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I am a pescetarian
    Vegetarian already anyway.
    But I have in the past killed chickens on my uncle's farm, and helped slaughtering pigs.

I think there certainly is something to be said for the approach "If you couldn't kill it, don't eat it". I had a friend at university who was pescetarian for that exact reason, she realised one day that the meat she was eating came from an animal that she wouldn't be able to bring herself to kill. So she stopped eating meat. I felt that it was a very morally honest approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

aaakev wrote: »
    If it really came to it tho that dog would be another mouth to feed or could be used to feed you and your family. at the moment iv 3 dogs which would feed me and mine for about 3 weeks if needed, thats certainly not a resourse id pass up!!

Well yeah, if it was "eat the dog or die", I'm eating the dog.
    But if someone said "here, kill the lamb or kill your dog", I'd pick the lamb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I am a pescetarian
    I'm vegetarian a long time and I have no problem with meat eaters at all in general. But I have no respect for those who deliberately avoid and ignore information about how the animals they eat were reared and how they were killed. If you know the facts and enjoy your meat then fair play but I have a low opinion of those who bury their head in the sand and can't face the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'd have little problem with the killing part. It's the butchering part that would catch me. I'd probably need to be shown how to do it correctly first. After that, it's dinner time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I'd have little problem with the killing part. It's the butchering part that would catch me. I'd probably need to be shown how to do it correctly first. After that, it's dinner time.
    After a couple of times it gets easy, you would be used to it in no time if you had no choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Justice!

aaakev wrote: »
    After a couple of times it gets easy, you would be used to it in no time if you had no choice!

Yeah I guess hunger really would be the best sauce in a situation where you had to catch and cook everything you wanted to eat!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement