Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

• 17-01-2013 4:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Enough model guidance this morning to open a warning/chat thread for likely cold spell which could arrive with a bang as early as tomorrow.

Initial guidance is showing the chance for snow to fall in some areas as early as 6am Friday, however there remains uncertainty over where the border between rain and snow will be and with timing.

Overnight Thursday heavy rain will push from the west to affect most areas. During Friday morning cold air will begin to be pushed in to the northeast and this will continue through Friday slowly turning the rain to snow from the northeast. The extend southwest of the transition remains uncertain. Areas right on eastern coastal fringes will take a little longer for a full transition to snow due to sea influence.

There is potential for significant accumulations of snow in places through Friday evening and overnight.

Through Friday night the cold air will steadily track over much of the country, particularly more northern parts with periods of snow coming onto the east coast at times.

Saturday will see Ireland in a bitter east flow with snow showers at times on the east coast. Extremely icy overnight Saturday with minima towards -6c.

Late Sunday frontal features from the southwest will bring further risk of snow to many areas, but track and detail will be best kept for later.

So initial risk tomorrow, with the NAE map for 6pm Friday used as rough guidance (but expect some change to snow-line between now and T0)

13011818_1700.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Just a word on the temps forecast for late Sat night / early Sunday morning. I would not be surprised if temps of -10 were recorded in inland areas with snow cover. If I had to pick an area most at risk of snow cover and extreme low temps, County Monaghan would be a good bet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

To kick things off, at least Evelyn is on duty this morning. :)

Just caught the end of her sea area forecast on Radio 1 and she said ' tune in at 5 to 8...looks like some very wintry weather on the way'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,691 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Crikey, had to check I wasnt still dreaming when I read here and MetE, sounds like things got very serious overnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

DOCARCH wrote: »
    To kick things off, at least Evelyn is on duty this morning. :)

Just caught the end of her sea area forecast on Radio 1 and she said ' tune in at 5 to 8...looks like some very wintry weather on the way'.
    Certainly when ME start talking about sub zero daytime maxes later next week, you start to sit up. But see how quickly they changed from yesterday morning. FI is 48-72 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

and Im in the pink zone! Nice :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

NAE for Friday at 6am

13011806_1700.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭pad199207

Oh that's delicious !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

t|nt|n wrote: »
    NAE for Friday at 6am

13011806_1700.gif

But is that rain after it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

But is that rain after it?

It is, but, in theory the front should be stalled and/or move back west or fizzle out.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

:D:D

I can't help but singing it this morning.Come on you bustard and SNOW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The MetE website forecast a world away from last nights New Forecast.

The MetE website forecast a world away from last nights New Forecast.

Evelyn in a good mood !

Finally we see something we can track on the hi-res models, its been emotional up to now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Radio forecast sounds nice!! :D and she at least stresses uncertainty unlike Gerry- also says high possibility of severe weather.

Possible disruptive Snow tomorrow! :)

Snow showers in the east on Saturday... :)

Dan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Radio forecast sounds nice!! :D and she at least stresses uncertainty unlike Gerry- also says high possibility of severe weather.

Possible disruptive Snow tomorrow! :)

Snow showers in the east on Saturday... :)

Dan :D

Never seem such a dramatic change of forecast. Met eireann all rain yesterday, now snow. Unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS4X5_-OAE8

0U25Fl.jpg

Dstqjl.jpg

hSaPPl.jpg

Also The Main BBC forecast said Conditions will be atrocious in NI tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

better get my snow gear ehm let my wee fella get his snow gear at the ready

Cheers folks

If this comes off you have made a 38 year old ehmm 3 year old very happy:cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The UK Met Office only has a rain warning for N.I. after downgrading it from an earlier snow warning. They will have to change that now today. Just like Met Eireann have changed their forecast.

When the models change, it makes the official forecasters a soft target no matter where they are.

Now the initial snow pivot line Friday is still up for debate. It could be Wicklow or it could be Down. The snow line has conensus support to drift quickly south through Saturday morning, but for Friday, the exact pivot point is still uncertain. So Dubliners should not be counting their snowflakes for tomorrow yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

ramp.png

Go on Evelyn ya good thing

Now the initial snow pivot line Friday is still up for debate. It could be Wicklow or it could be Down. The snow line has conensus support to drift quickly south through Saturday morning, but for Friday, the exact pivot point is still uncertain. So Dubliners should not be counting their snowflakes for tomorrow yet.

Especially coastal areas! :(

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    Especially coastal areas! :(
    Yep we'll be the last to see the rain turn to snow. But hey it's always been the case, we're well used to it by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

how about us in North Meath?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Villain wrote: »
    ramp.png

Go on Evelyn ya good thing

Beat's Gerry's incredibly mild ramping on 9pm news last night...he will not be comfortable with this!

Maybe Evelyn has the snowy weather pre-booked for herself :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

What a change in forecasts overnight from the Met. Looking good for the East and North East in the next few days and into the weekend. A quick scan through Dew Points and 850 temps temper my excitement somewhat imby especially and for the south in general. Still potential into next week as the cold deepens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Ok. Seems like a good time to sign in on my phone for the first time this winter. Greetings old friends. Nice to see you again this year. :)

irish1967 wrote: »
    Ok. Seems like a good time to sign in on my phone for the first time this winter. Greetings old friends. Nice to see you again this year. :)

Yay ! Welcome back :)

What a change in forecasts overnight from the Met. Looking good for the East and North East in the next few days and into the weekend. A quick scan through Dew Points and 850 temps temper my excitement somewhat imby especially and for the south in general. Still potential into next week as the cold deepens.

Regarding 850 temps, I'd use hi-res models like the NAE. For example, 0Z NAE has -9 uppers in Ulster at 48 hours where the GFS has -5. And for frontal snow you don't need uppers as cold as you do for showers anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Can somebody explain what uppers means, does -9 uppers mean higher or lower temps than that on the streets of Ireland

• Advertisement

Can somebody explain what uppers means, does -9 uppers mean higher or lower temps than that on the streets of Ireland

It's the upper air temperature, about 1.5km up. One of the important factors that make the difference between rain/snow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement