Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-11-2012, 15:29   #1

Xmas Boardies Wicklow shin-dig 29th Dec

Where?
Glenmalure Valley/ Glenmalure Lodge

When?
Sat 29th Dec

What?
A few Xmas drinks for any Boardies who fancy a trip to one of the nicer parts of Wicklow. The idea is we meet up Sat daytime at the Lodge, run a bit of the Wicklow Way, cross over and up the zig-zag trails to Kelly's Lough, swim Kelly's Lough, and either run or Mountain Bike trails back down to the lodge. Focus is on fun rather than race.
Then have a meal and a few drinks in this brilliant pub. Anyone who wants to stay over is advised to book in advance, limited room availability (there'll be a few staying over). There's zero public transport in this area, something to bear in mind, maybe anyone coming from afar could consider carpooling with a non-drinker?

Who?
Anyone who fancies coming along to either the "race" or the drinks. There's already a core group organized, the more the merrier.

Why?
Why not?

Last edited by Kurt Godel; 16-11-2012 at 15:36.
Advertisement
05-12-2012, 19:41   #2

Ok, so I have 6 beds provisionally booked, but from PM's it looks as if quite a few will be getting a taxi home. I'll need to confirm or cancel the beds with the Lodge, so let me know ASAP if you want a room that night (about €35-€40pp B&B).

But to confirm, there is sufficient interest and numbers to make this happen (there was a huge spike in queries after Oryx asked if clothing was mandatory for the swim), so it is most definitely going ahead.

Plan is: meet at the Glenmalure Lodge 1pm Sat 29th. We'll run some trails, and ascend a path that will take your breath away. Weather dependent, we should be able to traverse Clohernagh to the summit of Lugnacoille, the highest mountain in Leinster. The views to and from here are something to always remember. From there we'll head down to either Art's or Kelly's lough (again, route will be determined by the weather), swim in the lake , and run back down the trails back to the lodge. Showers should be available, and we'll grap a table by the fire, get a bite to eat, and set into pints and merriment. I'd have liked to include bikes, but in all honesty there isn't the daylight to set up MB's beforehand. Lots of MB routes for anyone staying the night, who wants to clear the head the next day, though!

There's a good few confirmed, enough for it to happen and be fun, and if you want to turn up, please do, the more the merrier. It's a done deal though, in that the date and time are picked and as are, so there's no messy poll option; just bring yourself and your gear and your funnybone, and we'll bash a bit of Xmas cheer out of the day The more the merrier, all most welcome!

Last edited by Kurt Godel; 05-12-2012 at 20:04.
Thanks from:
06-12-2012, 09:41   #3
Abhainn

Good man KG The Organiser
Looking forward to this
06-12-2012, 09:44   #4
Briando

Wow! Fair play to any hardy mofo that is gonna swim on the 29th of December
06-12-2012, 12:19   #5
Oryx

Send a message via MSN to Oryx
Really looking forward to this. I'm currently doing sports related first aid, and will read up on hypothermia particularly, so no need to worry, we will thaw you out!

Im still considering whether to do a wetsuit proper swim or a non wet suit, turn completely blue 10 min splash.
Advertisement
06-12-2012, 12:23   #6

I will not make this now as i am at a wedding.
06-12-2012, 21:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
Im still considering whether to do a wetsuit proper swim or a non wet suit, turn completely blue 10 min splash.
I don't think consideration will come into it. You're not hiking up a mountain the arse end of December to wuss out

Looking forward to this already
06-12-2012, 22:12   #8
Oryx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Godel View Post

I don't think consideration will come into it. You're not hiking up a mountain the arse end of December to wuss out

Looking forward to this already
Wussing out was not one of the options!
07-12-2012, 06:50   #9

Quote:
Wussing out was not one of the options!
Hmm, that's quite true, it wasn't. What is the preference, wetsuits or not? I guess if we're going to all the bother of getting up to this magical place, something more substantial than a dip is warranted.
Advertisement
21-12-2012, 10:48   #10

Kelly's Lough

This is where we'll be swimming. We'll leave the Glenmalure Lodge carpark at 1:00pm, run up past the lake, dump bags/wetsuits, run up to the top of Lugnachoille (weather dependent), run back to the lake and start the swim (its about 400m long), and then back down to the lodge to get cleaned up. There's one triple room booked for those staying over, everyone else, we'll have a few drinks at the bar. Bar food is an option, although if people prefer, I can book a table in the restaurant.

Open to everyone, there's about 8 confirmed so far, the more the merrier.

(3) thanks from:
21-12-2012, 10:52   #11
Oryx

Showers available for the non staying frozen peeps?

And because of the skewy perspective in that photo, the lake looks tiny
21-12-2012, 10:54   #12
BTH

On the off chance that someone finds themselves back in the city earlier than expected after the Christmas break, where would that person find out about potential lifts to this fantastic event?
21-12-2012, 10:54   #13

Quote:
Showers available for the non staying frozen peeps?
They do have showers, available to those hillwalking etc, but in case they aren't working, we have a triple room booked for those who are staying over, can use that shower I guess. Ladies first.
Thanks from:
21-12-2012, 10:59   #14

Quote:

And because of the skewy perspective in that photo, the lake looks tiny
I guestimate from the map its about 400m at its widest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTH View Post
On the off chance that someone finds themselves back in the city earlier than expected after the Christmas break, where would that person find out about potential lifts to this fantastic event?
Anyone willing/able to help out here? As it happens, I think everyone confirmed is coming from all around the country except Dublin!
21-12-2012, 16:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Godel View Post
I guestimate from the map its about 400m at its widest.

Anyone willing/able to help out here? As it happens, I think everyone confirmed is coming from all around the country except Dublin!
ill pick you up,pm were ul be

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion