Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas Boardies Wicklow shin-dig 29th Dec

• 16-11-2012 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭

Where?
    Glenmalure Valley/ Glenmalure Lodge

When?
    Sat 29th Dec

What?
    A few Xmas drinks for any Boardies who fancy a trip to one of the nicer parts of Wicklow. The idea is we meet up Sat daytime at the Lodge, run a bit of the Wicklow Way, cross over and up the zig-zag trails to Kelly's Lough, swim Kelly's Lough, and either run or Mountain Bike trails back down to the lodge. Focus is on fun rather than race.
    Then have a meal and a few drinks in this brilliant pub. Anyone who wants to stay over is advised to book in advance, limited room availability (there'll be a few staying over). There's zero public transport in this area, something to bear in mind, maybe anyone coming from afar could consider carpooling with a non-drinker?

Who?
    Anyone who fancies coming along to either the "race" or the drinks. There's already a core group organized, the more the merrier.

Why?
    Why not? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Ok, so I have 6 beds provisionally booked, but from PM's it looks as if quite a few will be getting a taxi home. I'll need to confirm or cancel the beds with the Lodge, so let me know ASAP if you want a room that night (about €35-€40pp B&B).

But to confirm, there is sufficient interest and numbers to make this happen (there was a huge spike in queries after Oryx asked if clothing was mandatory for the swim;)), so it is most definitely going ahead.

Plan is: meet at the Glenmalure Lodge 1pm Sat 29th. We'll run some trails, and ascend a path that will take your breath away. Weather dependent, we should be able to traverse Clohernagh to the summit of Lugnacoille, the highest mountain in Leinster. The views to and from here are something to always remember. From there we'll head down to either Art's or Kelly's lough (again, route will be determined by the weather), swim in the lake :D, and run back down the trails back to the lodge. Showers should be available, and we'll grap a table by the fire, get a bite to eat, and set into pints and merriment. I'd have liked to include bikes, but in all honesty there isn't the daylight to set up MB's beforehand. Lots of MB routes for anyone staying the night, who wants to clear the head the next day, though!

There's a good few confirmed, enough for it to happen and be fun, and if you want to turn up, please do, the more the merrier. It's a done deal though, in that the date and time are picked and as are, so there's no messy poll option; just bring yourself and your gear and your funnybone, and we'll bash a bit of Xmas cheer out of the day:D The more the merrier, all most welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good man KG The Organiser
    Looking forward to this

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Wow! Fair play to any hardy mofo that is gonna swim on the 29th of December :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Really looking forward to this. I'm currently doing sports related first aid, and will read up on hypothermia particularly, so no need to worry, we will thaw you out!

Im still considering whether to do a wetsuit proper swim or a non wet suit, turn completely blue 10 min splash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I will not make this now as i am at a wedding.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Im still considering whether to do a wetsuit proper swim or a non wet suit, turn completely blue 10 min splash.

I don't think consideration will come into it. You're not hiking up a mountain the arse end of December to wuss out;)

Looking forward to this already:)

Kurt Godel wrote: »

I don't think consideration will come into it. You're not hiking up a mountain the arse end of December to wuss out;)

Looking forward to this already:)
    Wussing out was not one of the options!

Wussing out was not one of the options!

Hmm, that's quite true, it wasn't. What is the preference, wetsuits or not? I guess if we're going to all the bother of getting up to this magical place, something more substantial than a dip is warranted.

This is where we'll be swimming. We'll leave the Glenmalure Lodge carpark at 1:00pm, run up past the lake, dump bags/wetsuits, run up to the top of Lugnachoille (weather dependent), run back to the lake and start the swim (its about 400m long), and then back down to the lodge to get cleaned up. There's one triple room booked for those staying over, everyone else, we'll have a few drinks at the bar. Bar food is an option, although if people prefer, I can book a table in the restaurant.

Open to everyone, there's about 8 confirmed so far, the more the merrier.

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-W5fpbTK_Ats/UNQ9X5gPETI/AAAAAAAAAvo/Svfx449YgpA/s800/Screen%20shot%202012-12-21%20at%2010.35.34.png" height="531" width="800"[/IMG]

Showers available for the non staying frozen peeps?

And because of the skewy perspective in that photo, the lake looks tiny :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

On the off chance that someone finds themselves back in the city earlier than expected after the Christmas break, where would that person find out about potential lifts to this fantastic event?

Showers available for the non staying frozen peeps?

They do have showers, available to those hillwalking etc, but in case they aren't working, we have a triple room booked for those who are staying over, can use that shower I guess. Ladies first.

And because of the skewy perspective in that photo, the lake looks tiny :)

I guestimate from the map its about 400m at its widest.
    BTH wrote: »
    On the off chance that someone finds themselves back in the city earlier than expected after the Christmas break, where would that person find out about potential lifts to this fantastic event?

Anyone willing/able to help out here? As it happens, I think everyone confirmed is coming from all around the country except Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

I guestimate from the map its about 400m at its widest.

Anyone willing/able to help out here? As it happens, I think everyone confirmed is coming from all around the country except Dublin!
    ill pick you up,pm were ul be

It's going to be cold swimming, no matter what the weather, so no harm in being prepared. Loneswimmer has some very good advice on cold water swimming, well worth looking over. Also, this is a corrie pool, which means submerged rocks, so no diving and be aware (especially so when near the sides).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Myself and Abhainn will be getting a Joe Maxi back to Wicklow, I'm sure we can take a detour (Roundwood or Rathdrum direction if needed).

BTW - I won't be swimming - someone needs to mind the clothes ;)

Also, if anyone's doing the Streets of Wicklow 5k, there'll be a few of us heading for pint in the Bridge about 1pm - give me a shout if anyone's looking for a shower (the get yourself clean type, not the Wicklow Tri Club ;))

It's going to be cold swimming, no matter what the weather, so no harm in being prepared. Loneswimmer has some very good advice on cold water swimming, well worth looking over. Also, this is a corrie pool, which means submerged rocks, so no diving and be aware (especially so when near the sides).
    Great advice in that article. How many will be used to cold water, and how many wont?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Great advice in that article. How many will be used to cold water, and how many wont?

Never swam in anything under 12 degrees so I'm suitably nervous.

I have a drysuit, so often "swam" in the winter sea wearing it. You don't feel any cold until the water hits bare face. It's all about layers, and I've worn fleece clothing under it. Good fun, but not really good for anything approaching a proper stroke.

Beyond that, I've broken the thin ice and swam in Cavan lakes many an Xmas. Dying of a hangover, a shot of whiskey beforehand, and jump in and swim starkers. All the things loneswimmer says not to do:rolleyes: So nothing really useful for our lake swim.

I think I'll be wearing my trisuit under my wetsuit for Kelly's Lough, and at least two swim caps. I'll bring first aid and bivvy bags, and will try and get a flotation device up there beforehand. Phone coverage isn't great up there, but we can have one of the non-swimmers prepared to run up to Cloghernagh to get a better signal if we need Mountain Rescue. It's not going to come to that, but no harm being prepared.

• Advertisement

Its a long time since I did the total immersion that is Tough Guy, but I'm hoping that experience will stand to me. At least I know the symptoms of hypothermia..... And I still have my neoprene hat and gloves. :) My biggest problem wont be in the water, it will be getting changed afterwards, that after drop thing loneswimmer describes hits me hard! But its gonna be great craic. Just make sure you fast runners wait for this plodder!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭griffin100

Its a long time since I did the total immersion that is Tough Guy, but I'm hoping that experience will stand to me. At least I know the symptoms of hypothermia..... And I still have my neoprene hat and gloves. :) My biggest problem wont be in the water, it will be getting changed afterwards, that after drop thing loneswimmer describes hits me hard! But its gonna be great craic. Just make sure you fast runners wait for this plodder!

Don't worry, I'll be sitting on your rear ;)

griffin100 wrote: »
    Don't worry, I'll be sitting on your rear ;)
    Ah, now. Noone told me it was a piggyback race. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I'll probably tag along but could bike up on the mountain bike. I could carry gear for people of you like. Must pack a hip flash :D

There was a piece on the RTE news recently about a Dingle lady who is heading to Russia to take part in sub zero swims. She trains by immersions in ice baths at the local fishery and there was a lovely camera shot of her swimming in a mountain like up around the Conor pass, which is as cold as they come down in the Kerry.

Good to see at least one bike Mick, it will help make it a proper Tri excursion!

I was doing a recce today, the zigzags are easy to ascend, but the area from the top of them to Kelly's lough is very damp. I'd like to include the views from the zigzags, so we'll probably ascend along drier forest trails via WW to the lake, (weather dependent ascent to Lug and back), swim, and descend getting our feet wet by the zigzags. Back to the Lodge for ales and food.

If anyone is interested in a map, EastWest mapping (based in Clonegal) have a very good map which includes this area, Lugnaquilla & Glendalough. Superb detailing, and a must for hillwalkers/runners, they usually get orders delivered in a couple of days.

*Edit* Actually now that I think about it, anyone who wanted to make a proper "off-road" tri of this could. Mountain bike the trails up to the lake, run to Lug and back, swim the lake, MB back down. Options there if more than one are interested I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Given the location its ideal for hitting both Slieve Mann & Elliot climbs on the bike. From memory take right out of the car park of Glenmalure Lodge and then left to go up Slieve Mann or take right for Elliot. I like both climbs, an hour should see you good for descending and ascending both sides of Slieve Mann and Elliot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Ill bring mtb and wetsuit for this. What time will we meet?. I've a circa 3 hour drive

It'll be getting dark around 4:30, so I'd say we'd want to be leaving the carpark at 1pm sharp, so meet at 12:45 or so at the carpark?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

It'll be getting dark around 4:30, so I'd say we'd want to be leaving the carpark at 1pm sharp, so meet at 12:45 or so at the carpark?

Do you ever sleep? :D

• Advertisement

Prepare for unlikely circumstances, I'll bring a backpack with some essentials in it.

Advertisement