Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV internet

Options
  • 25-07-2012 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭

Have had Eircom for the last while and today a sales guy called to offer UTV internet with up to 24mb download. Eircom can only give me 1mb.

So how can UTV give me 24?

One thing that was mentioned was un-congested, what's that?

I have signed up as it's almost half price per month compared to Eircom. Any speed increase will justify that price reduction.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Since UTV use Eircom lines, UTV speed will unlikely be any better than Eircom speeds, as they just resell Eircom bitstream.

I don't think UTV unbundled any exchanges for LLU?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

UTV Sales team are on a major push now. Been all around town and managed to rope my auntie in to signing up. Promised faster broadband and better reliability. She never even told them her provider.

Told my mother to ignore them. We were with them for a while and their customer support team is a disgrace. No help whatsoever and always passing the buck to Eircom.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you have dsl bb it is important that you know your line stats then you will know exactly what your line is capable of.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

UTV are only creating problems for themselves in the long run by allowing their salespeople to adopt these sort of tactics.

Oh for those days when UTV were innovative (in an honest way!) and provided excellent customer service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Amen to that. They went from the best to the worst in record time. Made Eircom and BT look competent in the end. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

dahamsta wrote: »
    Amen to that. They went from the best to the worst in record time. Made Eircom and BT look competent in the end. :)

I wonder if Carl is still with them? Amazingly helpful chap:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

DO NOT sign up with them. Safe yourself the agro and stress. I didn't do enough research beforehand and signed up last month and have regretted it ever since. Went from getting 5 mbps to 6 mbps speeds with Eircom to getting a maximum of 4 mb/s with UTV but worst of all my evening speeds (from about 5 to after midnight) are down to 0.5 mbps to 1 mbps. I signed up to what is supposed to be a 10 mbps package. I have been complaining to them for the last 2 weeks via phone and email. Last phonecall they told me that there is a "hardware problem" on the line (I don't know what this means) and it will be fixed by next week. If it is not fixed (which I am pretty sure it won't be) them I am defo cancelling.
    Check out this thread for loads of people who have problems http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056561927 and take a look and these reviews. http://ratemyisp.ie/ratings/utv-broadband/ The only positive one is from an "ex" member of staff giving out about the customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

I have been a UTV customer now for 2 months and i am very happy with it. Initially it was running at a peak of 4meg, I rang UTV they done something over a 48hr period i left my router on and it and i get 18meg now.

Also they have a deal on at the moment where the line rental fee is waived for 7 months so my internet is €9.99 until Jan now & €35 thereafter. Much better service than those overpriced peasants at Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭thefa

Had a salesman around in Drogheda this evening trying to hard sell it versus the current eircom service which we were are down to a rolling contract on. He had a few inconsistencies and was pushing to sign up there and then with very little documentation so didn't go for it. Glad now after seeing the threads about them and also seeing them offering cheaper prices online which suggests he was making up the prices based on who the person he was talking to was currently being charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MOB1

Crap I'm in drogheda and have just signed up. I told him I was unsure about it and he told me about the cooling off period which he said was 7 days. I'm going to cancel tomorrow after reading this. Has anyone tried cancel during the cooling off period??? I'm sickened now

• Registered Users Posts: 4 shaneb1983

hey about 2 or 3 months ago a utv rep called to my house im living in the platin road area of drogheda he lied and told me he could give me up to 24mb broadband but he said id at least get 16 mb on some llc lines or some crap, anways gave him some details not all, rang utv a week later they told me my line could only take up 6 mb he should have sold me that, i thought that was the end of it considering havent heard from them in a few months, looked at my bank to day and they took 67 euro direct debit out this week and yet im still on vodafone broadband, if anything id stay clear of them, there was another rep in the area this week and he was talkin crap as well with his "up to 24 mb" on a line that can only get 6mb max...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Be very careful signing up with these sales guys that call to the door. VERY CAREFUL!

I am in the middle of an awful mess with them in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

kcb wrote: »
    Be very careful signing up with these sales guys that call to the door. VERY CAREFUL!

I am in the middle of an awful mess with them in Cork.

I'm in Cork too and am getting on to them later to cancel. I thought the sales person was very pushy and wasn't quite truthful about the service. On another UTV thread someone posted this from their terms and conditions
    Cancelling the Agreement
    3. The Broadband speed that we quote when you order the service is an estimate only. Once
    your Broadband speed has settled (usually 10 days after provision), if you are always
    getting speeds lower than the estimated range that we quoted, you can contact us any time
    within the first 3 months after you ordered the service and we will try to improve the
    speed. If, despite any improvements we try to make, the speed you get is less than the
    "minimum guaranteed access line speed" for your service (go
    to http://www.utvinternet.com for more details) you will be entitled to cancel your
    broadband contract without paying a charge for ending it early subject to you following our
    instructions to resolve the problem.

Full Terms and Condtions - http://www.utvinternet.com/pdfs/NI_UTV_Internet_Broadband_Service_Terms-Dec2011.pdf
    I'm hoping that this covers me to cancel without penalty. They have had more than enough time to rectify the problem at this stage (Changed over on 9th July).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

lindtee wrote: »
    I'm in Cork too and am getting on to them later to cancel. I thought the sales person was very pushy and wasn't quite truthful about the service. On another UTV thread someone posted this from their terms and conditions

Full Terms and Condtions - http://www.utvinternet.com/pdfs/NI_UTV_Internet_Broadband_Service_Terms-Dec2011.pdf
    I'm hoping that this covers me to cancel without penalty. They have had more than enough time to rectify the problem at this stage (Changed over on 9th July).

Let me know how you get on with that.

My case is slightly different (and partly my fault for falling into the trap of dealing with one of these sales guys!)

My issue is more with the Sales company working on UTV's behalf in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

After 2 months, I'm with UTV internet and the speed is mindblowing. Long may this continue.

(I'm going to look for answers as to why it took so long so until then, nothing more to report).

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ShadowFax

I changed from Vodafone to UTV in April.

THE WORST MISTAKE I EVER MADE!! DO NOT USE THEIR SERVICE!!

Soon after I changed to them, my speeds dropped ..... to 1-2mb download and 100k upload.

I have been in contact with them to try and get this sorted out but to no avail! Customer service is a joke, speeds are a joke

I am stuck with them till I figure out a way to get away from em.

My Advice --- STAY CLEAR OF THEM!!

Advertisement