Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Character question

Options
  • 24-06-2012 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

So ive been watching the threads, some of the Youtube stuff, and I'm seeing a strong focus on a few characters.... so much.... BISON !

Well anyway this is just another random question to familiarise myself with the community. Who do you guys use ?

My record will have you believe that I main Cody, this was true but out of nowhere i just suddenly lost my ability with him, i tried practicing combos and that but it just wasnt the same :P

So at the moment im focusing on Gen, awesome character IMO, i like the play style and combos, still have to learn them of course :P

Let me know so i have an idea of whats going on aroud me, and it might be nice to have some level of preparation whenever i can get to a tournament ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

cody requires so much skill bro

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭recnib

true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

recnib wrote: »
    true
    No it's not. Don't encourage him.

Rose is the best.

I beleive the Tempest 12 footage says otherwise Sairus ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Guile is the worst character ever. Don't use him.

Anyone who ever wins a fight with him must be gdlk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Contrary to what Japan says, Adon is actually low-tier.
    But he's also the most loved character in the game.
    You should totally learn him.
    No one could possibly hate on Adon.

Doom you are Godlike ;) And i like Adon, i actually was getting my ass beat by a Guile while using Adon, and in both rounds he had nearly full health while i had barely any left, each time i trapped him in a corner to even it out and ended each one by going through an EX boom that he did in panic :D Also at one point i used Jaguar Revolver, it only hit once since he was jumping over me, for the sole purpose of keeping him in the corner :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Everyone tell me Juri is a bit on the pyscho side! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

ladnopoka wrote: »
    cody requires so much skill bro

from the charter:
    Posts that are just complete nonsense will be deleted.

get on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Yang/Seth mainly, bit of other chars for laugh now and then :)

• Advertisement

I like Yang and Seth, they're both very good, I mean we all know what poongko can do with Seth :P And as for Yang, watch some games by ACQUA0316 on YF's channel, it's scary O_O

And Misty I'm not sure what you mean about Juri being on the psycho side :P , but from what I've seen if you know enough she can be a beast of a character and an absolute pain in the ass to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Shotos are my mains. I'm trying to get good with Oni but his short range hadoken makes it a bit annoying to use for zoning. I'm still trying out different characters so if you meet me online, you'll often find me using Balrog or Guile. Even though Guile isn't my main, for some reason, I have a good win/lose ratio with him compared to my other characters. I guess playing Guile forces me to be more patient :P. Balrog is great as well because he's a hard hitter, crap at long range but once you're in close, he can make a world of pain! And my main strength is close fighting, even when using Shotos, so Balrog, and possibly Fei Long, suit my play style.

Im still unsure of close range fighting, i have a lot of trouble getting in and starting combos, and im always being crossed up. I try to ant air them but i hardly ever get it right :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

recnib wrote: »
    Im still unsure of close range fighting, i have a lot of trouble getting in and starting combos, and im always being crossed up. I try to ant air them but i hardly ever get it right :P

Anti air them with what? If they are crossing you up on your wake up you might be better off to just block.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If you're not anti-airing with Cody (except on wake-up) you're playing him wrong.

b+MP HEY

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

Primary is Rose, secondary is Juri or Evil Ryu. Started pissing about with a bunch of others in recent months too.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

I play Guy, badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Havent played in any tournaments in a while.. work calls.. But work ended so :D

I mainly play Ibuki, aint really got a back up. I can play an alright Ryu thats bout it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I play Guy, unsafely.

I also cant resist picking T.Hawk lately even though I'm fecking useless with the big galoot. A giant native american pretending to be an airplane appeals to me for some reason. I tend to play while making airplane diving noises and shouting pew,pew,pew while mashing jab.

My call would be to stick with Gen. I wish I had stuck out relearning him on stick instead of ****ing out and moving onto a new characters. Plus that red/blue mask alt he has is pure win.

Haha i must get his alts :)

• Advertisement

To the OP: I recently went through a process of choosing a main, and settled on Ryu, because he suits my playstyle, is quite well rounded and has a bit of everything. He's also a huge amount of fun to play with and doesn't have a huge execution barrier to get to a half-decent level. I'm currently busy burning his moves & combos into my muscle memory. I'm still rubbish, but I'm improving....

If you're trying to settle on a main, i would look at tier lists like this one from arcadia magazine in Japan recently, and play around with characters in the upper half of the table, looking for one that suits your style.

Personally speaking, I would steer clear of the lower tiers. Not everyone will agree, but i figure, why handicap your chances of doing well right from day 1 by picking a bottom tier character?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Personally speaking, I would steer clear of the lower tiers. Not everyone will agree, but i figure, why handicap your chances of doing well right from day 1 by picking a bottom tier character?

At our level of play it doesn't make too much of a difference what tier you pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I play Deejay because my body can handle the rhythm.

I think Gen is awesome though. If I didn't find the concept of stance-changing mid-combo to be so daunting I would definitely play him more for fun.
    If you're trying to settle on a main, i would look at tier lists like
    this one from arcadia magazine in Japan recently, and play around with characters in the upper half of the table, looking for one that suits your style.

I would pretty strongly disagree for two reasons

(1) Tiers change
    (2) Good tier lists are written by all the top players, coming to some kind of consensus. Arcadia magazine tier lists are only ever written by one person (so are way more flawed and biased), and THAT particular tier list is uncredited, so we have no idea who wrote it

I would say there's only maybe 10 people in the country who play to a level where the tier list can be applied. Even then, which tier list?

The top tier characters are by and large weaker than the lower ones unless you understand and can perform their safe jumps, set ups, options selects and mix ups. For example, if you're not able to do Akuma's demon flip set ups and vortex on command, you are effectively playing a weakened Ryu with a teleport. Most of Akuma's tippy topness comes from what you can do when you knock someone down.

When SF4 first came out you could see plenty of people placing top 8 with whatever character they felt like: Wouldn't happen now tbh because the top players ARE finding their feet with the best characters, but until you get to that level, I don't think you need to be all that pushed, and tbh if you're that good just pick up a top tier character when you get to that point :)

PPC wrote: »
    At our level of play it doesn't make too much of a difference what tier you pick.

I don't agree. Sure there are a lot of finer points to any tier list that come into play at very high levels of execution, but you don't have to be at the very top level of play to feel the advantage/disadvantage you're at by picking a low/high tier character, otherwise you would see Dan winning regional tourneys and casuals games all over the place. I think as long as you're at a reasonable level of competency where you can exploit weaknesses in matchups, tiers will have some effect on the success you can expect to see.

For example, I started this game maining deejay, who is generally regarded as not really being a contender tier-wise, and switched to Ryu, and saw an instant improvement. Deejay doesn't have the tools to deal with a lot of stuff that happens very often in this game, regardless of player skill, hence he's lower tier. Ryu does (at least moreso), and as a direct result i was in a better position to compete, without undergoing any improvement in my own individual ability.

Besides all of this though, don't you play a game like Street Fighter with the intention to improve and eventually attain a higher level of ability? Maybe even get to the top level or near it? I do, and putting myself at a disadvantage from day one by picking a lesser character just seems strange to me. I'm not saying that's not valid, there are lots of different ways to approach picking your character, but for me, character design alone isn't enough.
    Good tier lists are written by all the top players, coming to some kind of consensus. Arcadia magazine tier lists are only ever written by one person (so are way more flawed and biased), and THAT particular tier list is uncredited, so we have no idea who wrote it

No to split hairs with you, but i wasn't recommending that tier list specifically. I was just making the point that having an idea what the general concensus was about who was upper/lower/middle tier, and having an idea about a character's general limitations before choosing to main him or her was a good idea, rather than just saying "ooh i like the look of this smiley guy's pink outfit and his funny throw, I'll learn all his moves".

I agree with you that tier lists change over time, and will vary from source to source in their accuracy and impartiality, but they are also a good indicator of a wider concensus, once you read enough of them, from various sources.

No offence mack daddi but I literally think you don't know what a tier list is.

It's assuming that the players are high level ( higher than the best in this country).

It is literally irrelevant unless you're approaching that level.

Here's how I look at it lads. There are characters that will suit different people, for example, I couldn't imagine playing Dhalsim, but there are people who have no problem with him. For me personally, I like using Gen, i like the feel when i move and i like the moves, it fits me.

Tier lists mean nothing, they are different people's representations of which characters they think are the best and worst. In my personal opinion, every single character in every fighting game ever is godlike, people just need to know how to play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

This is going to go south in a hurry. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

If you're trying to settle on a main, i would look at tier lists like this one from arcadia magazine in Japan recently, and play around with characters in the upper half of the table, looking for one that suits your style.
    Thats not from Arcadia Magazine. Thats a French players personal opinion.

This is the Arcadia magazine tier list afaik:

A: Seth, Cammy, Fei Long, Adon
    B: Ryu, Ken, Honda, Bison (Possibly meaning Boxer), Balrog (possibly meaning claw), Sagat, Vega (possibly meaning Dicktakor), C.Viper, Rufus, Akuma, Sakura, Ibuki, Makoto, Juri
    C: Blanka, Zangief, Guile, Dhalsim, Abel, Rose, Gen. Guy, Cody, Dudely, Yun, Yang, Evil Ryu, Oni
    D: Chun Li, El Fuerte, Gouken, Dan (Not last!!), T.Hawk, Dee-Jay, Hakan

Not that i agree with it. Just eh... saying

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The Hound wrote: »
    Thats not from Arcadia Magazine. Thats a French players personal opinion.

This is the Arcadia magazine tier list afaik:

A: Seth, Cammy, Fei Long, Adon
    B: Ryu, Ken, Honda, Bison (Possibly meaning Boxer), Balrog (possibly meaning claw), Sagat, Vega (possibly meaning Dicktakor), C.Viper, Rufus, Akuma, Sakura, Ibuki, Makoto, Juri
    C: Blanka, Zangief, Guile, Dhalsim, Abel, Rose, Gen. Guy, Cody, Dudely, Yun, Yang, Evil Ryu, Oni
    D: Chun Li, El Fuerte, Gouken, Dan (Not last!!), T.Hawk, Dee-Jay, Hakan

Not that i agree with it. Just eh... saying

That's a rediculous list. Dee-Jay is clearly better...(than T.Hawk) :P

Advertisement