Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour De Burren

Options
  • 21-06-2012 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Is there many here planning on doing Tour De Burren in North Clare on saturday 23 rd ,tough route this year from what I am told especially the first 60 kms of the longer spin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I'll be doing it as a prelude to a drunken night out in the wesht.
    I believe it may be a bit hilly in places?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Planning on the 160km, my morbid dislike of the rain notwithstanding ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

dafman wrote: »
    Is there many here planning on doing Tour De Burren in North Clare on saturday 23 rd ,tough route this year from what I am told especially the first 60 kms of the longer spin.
    I may be there as well, if the weather is any.

Where is the start point / place of arrival?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

i going to do it depending on weather, not sure which route yet as have no idea how difficult it may be

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

The weather will be the big unknown this year (again) until Friday evening after the news when Joan Blackburn or Jean Byrne will do some crystal ball-gazing.

I'll be doing the 160 and this years route is challenging. I did most of the route a few months ago and the climbs are short but high gradient. Overall gain is about 1,500m.

The first will be 'Slieve Elva' near Fanore, this will be at the first turn left and up a 3-4km stretch that is at 5-6%, the drop is rough surface and the road is narrow, so expect a lot of close overtaking on the up and down.

The next climb is out of Doolin toward the cliffs. This is an out of the seat 2km climb that starts at 5% and kicks to 15% near the top. The wheel will spinin if wet or on patches of dung.

The corkscrew itself is grand its the slow 3-4% up to it that saps energy and especially as its at 120km approx.

Plenty pasta Friday!:pac::pac:

Jean+Byrne.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭ratracer

Two nice warm fronts coming in there from the left.. :) I'm registered for the big day out, but if the weather is crap I'm gonna do the 108 km instead. Decide which on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

im lookin forward to this rain or not ill give it a lash was out today in the rain its only rain lads

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Will do the 108km in prep. For ROK, hate those Clare hills tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

I am looking forward to it, a new route for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

I hopefully will do it... Depends on whether I can swing tomorrow off !

I will be on the Vitus 979 Peugeot or better known as "Puggy4sex" with all the older gear on... Do come and say hello

Im not relishing the hills as my lowest gear is 39/21 and I only have 12 well 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Doing the 108k regardless of weather. Is anyone heading down from Dublin? There are 3 of us, but we only have a commercial 4x4 as transport so one will be bussing it if we can't source a lift. I can take a bike for someone though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Doing the 160km - well, certainly planning on it. Is the new 160 route much tougher than the old one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I can't make this one but enjoy the Corkscrew anyone who is heading down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Doing the 160km - well, certainly planning on it. Is the new 160 route much tougher than the old one?

Certainly is....! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Certainly is....! :eek:

God DAMMIT! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Mr Velo wrote: »

Not able to do it myself this year but done some of the new climbs last week and there's a few doozies in there. There's one about 10km into proceedings, a left turn at Fanore, about 4km climb I think, I reckon anyone giving it socks on that one will be paying for it later, a lot of cycling to go after it. There's also one up by Doolin, not long but rises to something like 18% (so I'm told), it's bordering on vertical. All perfectly doable though and you'll enjoy the ice-cream all the more after it :)

Reckon it'll be a great day all the same, sickened I can't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

its windy here just now .may be they can turn it down a bit by mornin :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

ArraMusha wrote: »

Plenty pasta Friday!:pac::pac:

I had my pre-sportive vindaloo tonight :)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

That's terrible news. Hope he's going to be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭ratracer

Most miserable day I've had on the bike in quite a while. Hope the injured cyclist will be ok, makes my bad day pale into insignificance.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GKiraly

Hadnt done this one before but im glad I did, not a bad route, well, at least the second half was generous. Done the 66km. THAT climb was a killer, managed to stay on the bike all the way up to the fruity pit-stop, it was those walkin it that nearly had me off the bike, and I dont blame them for walking it!! A welcome food stop a while later and then a good spin downhill home. Yummy ice cream too. Nice bag and jersey.
    Could give out about the weather but whats a bit of rain when you hear the terrible news about a fellow participant having a serious accident, hope hes ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I wasn't in the Tour but I'm down in Fanore on my holidays.Fair play to anyone who did any degree of the race.It was an awful windy,wet day.I don't know how ye survived. That hill in Fanore must have claimed a few victims.Its a killer

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Chavways wrote: »
    I wasn't in the race but I'm down in Fanore on my holidays.Fair play to anyone who did any degree of the race.

It's not a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Lumen wrote: »
    It's not a race.

Would you prefer if I called it a Tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Chavways wrote: »
    Would you prefer if I called it a Tour?

Yes, thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭daludo

yeah the conditions were terrible,it wasnt too bad for the spin home by the coast though,the food stop in lisdoonvarna was worth it all!have to say it does all pale into insignificance when i think about seeing that poor man lying on the ground in fanore,hope all is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

A great day out in the Burren, we did the 108 (111 on my Garmin). Weather was chronic but really enjoyed the new course. Those 2 hills really tested a lot of legs, i struggled to the top of fanore hill but most walked.The Corkscrew isn't so bad but is pretty long. The foodstop at Lisdoonvara was savage, cakes were divine and hot cuppa was badly needed given the weather. I saw that ambulance leaving the burren and it's sad to hear there was a casualty, hopefully he'll be ok asap.Thanks to all the organizers and volunteers for their efforts, pat on the back for you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

We did this tour today and really enjoyed it. Despite the rain and wind it went really well. Very upset that there was a casualty -it could have been anyone in those conditions. Hope the gentleman recovers quickly.

I have never been to an event were so many cyclists had to walk up a hill. It was incredible my bike came to absolute standstill on that hill outside doolin. The food stop was incredible. So much variety. I noticed that there were cars everywhere asking people if they needed help. Hats off to the organisers for a great day. Love the bag!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

kavanagh_h wrote: »
    . Does anyone know what happened?
    Can posters avoid discussing cause or possible fault. In addition, please do not speculate over the condition of the cyclist at this time or provide any information that may be used to identify the individual involved

At this stage I think we should simply keep it to mentioning any further public reports on the matter

Thanks

Beasty

Advertisement