Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying problem with 3 mobile data connection

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

On my One X when I select "WCDMA only" it can take up to 15 minutes to find a signal and it also wont stay on "WCDMA only" a lot of the time it will revert back to auto. At my wits end with this now. What's the point in having a top of the range phone if all I can seem to get is an Edge connection mostly. When I got the phone I had to cut my standard sim down to a micro one, would this cause problems and should I change the sim over for a proper micro sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

aaronm13 wrote: »
    On my One X when I select "WCDMA only" it can take up to 15 minutes to find a signal and it also wont stay on "WCDMA only" a lot of the time it will revert back to auto. At my wits end with this now. What's the point in having a top of the range phone if all I can seem to get is an Edge connection mostly. When I got the phone I had to cut my standard sim down to a micro one, would this cause problems and should I change the sim over for a proper micro sim?

No effect whatsoever. The only difference between the two is the size of the plastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Just wanted to follow up on my experience after moving from 3Ireland to eMobile.

I was having terrible trouble with my S2 staying on 2G most of the time.
    I just got used to having to manually switch from 2G to 3G each time i wanted to go online. More recently though, it was becoming a real pain in the a*se.
    Setting to 3G only wasn't an option as I wasn't able to receive calls once I walked more then two foot inside a building :(

After switching to eMobile, all I can say is...wow. What a difference switching network makes!
    I really can't believe how easily the phone switches from 2G to 3G automatically. Very happy I moved.

After switching to eMobile, all I can say is...wow. What a difference switching network makes!
    I really can't believe how easily the phone switches from 2G to 3G automatically. Very happy I moved.

This is because emobile have two actual networks, unlike Three who have no real 2G network. Its one of the two big cons to being with three, and is something thats inherent in their system.

Ah yea, I just wanted to give my experience though. I've been with Three since the early days so hadn't tried another network in a while.
    (for ages I thought it was a normal problem on all networks :o - then their pricing kept me with them) Now I'm using the internet so much, it was time to switch.

Btw, eMobile customer service has been great too (so far!). They've been very pleasant to deal with.
    ED E wrote: »
    This is because emobile have two actual networks, unlike Three who have no real 2G network. Its one of the two big cons to being with three, and is something thats inherent in their system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

This is can only be good for people on 3?

Hi Zagato, link doesn't work. Looks like you have "http://http//..."

Interesting news all the same.

BN
    Zagato wrote: »

Zagato wrote: »

Pros: Fix 3G switching bug
    Cons: See data be raped to uselessness

Result: Porting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Seems a bit pointless since 3 customers spend all their time on vodafone anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

ED E wrote: »

What's the other big con?? Was thinking of switching to 3 when my current meteor contract expires

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The other big con is the worst support you can possibly imagine. See the 3 forum for comedy/horror http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1367

You are crazy to switch from meteor... Sure you might save a few quid, but meteors network actually works (so does everyones except 3 really).

G1032 wrote: »
    What's the other big con?? Was thinking of switching to 3 when my current meteor contract expires

Mumbai. Or wherever it is. Dell/Microsoft pick up the best of the best and then train them with users who have english as a second language. Three on the other hand hire fools who have only rudimentary english and dont appear to be too smart either.

If you're going billpay though you get support from Louth and are fine. Its only us prepay customers who get shafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Not so, I'm bill pay (SIM only plan) and get 'shafted'

well least the reps on boards are better.

god's toy wrote: »
    Not so, I'm bill pay (SIM only plan) and get 'shafted'

well least the reps on boards are better.

If you call and hit the right option from the automated menu you should get louth, thats what the staff in store said.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

niallb wrote: »
    There are reports that it can occasionally stop you sending text messages on some networks.
    This is because there is also a space on that page for the SMSC (SMS Center) number,
    and with some networks if this box is blank it wipes the setting instead of leaving it unchanged.
    If this were to happen, you can find the SMS settings on the mobile boards here, type it into the box, and should be good again after pressing update.
    You should also just be able to put it in in the SMS settings under System settings, but phones vary.

Can you explain this a bit clearer please. I have all of a sudden not been able to send texts on 3 with my SGS2 due to (i think) me alternating between WDWCMA only and Auto. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

well vodafone and 3 are talking about merging their backbone soon so hopefully 3g coverage will improve.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/359471/20120704/vodafone-hutchinson-whampoa-joint-venture-merger-telecom.htm

Advertisement