Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Estate Agents - rentals

Options
  • 11-06-2012 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Cork city/suburbs at the end of the month. I'm looking to view some properties this weekend with a couple of different companies. Are there any companies that you would recommend because you had a positive or professional dealing with them? Are there any companies that you would warn against using? Why so on both counts?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I wasn't sure whether to put it here or in accommodation.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

only from personal experience, but I've always had problems renting from estate agents. Always slow to respnd to problems and impossible to get a hold of sometimes (which is bizarre).

daft.ie is the best website for rentals in my opinion. you get a mix of private and agency rentals listed there, so it's the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Fifi Trixie Belle

Yeah I've been using Daft to look for suitable properties and I've found a few. I'd just rather know in advance if certain agents have good reputations and certain ones have bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I will give you one piece of advice,even thought they have the nicest looking apartments stay well away from Choices,anyone I know that dealt with them have regretted it,shocking attitude and manner.I nearly ended up renting from them but pulled the plug in time before exchanging money with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Gamb!t wrote: »
    stay well away from Choices,

they are an absolute dose to deal with. if you can avoid them at all I'd strongly advise it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've also heard bad things about Choices.

We dealt with Barry Auctioneers the last time and they were great.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 singin bernie walsh

choices have some new faces working there. for the last few phone calls iv had to make, a nice mannerly person has answered and my queries/ requests have been acted on quickly! there must have been a change of personnel or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

I found Carlton to be quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

2nd that stay away from choices

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

I've also heard bad things about Choices. My only experience with them was last February when I was trying to view appartments with them. They stood me up twice!! I had to ring them both times & the first time someone had gone home ill & they had forgotten to cancel her viewings & the second time they were an hour behind appointments & wanted me to wait! I decided not to rent through them if they were that hard to deal with. I am now renting with absolute property & they were a pleasure to deal with when we were looking for a place but now they are a bit hard to get a hold of when we have problems!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Also been stood up by Choices. When I called to ask where they were the response was more or less, "what's your problem?".

Keep away.

Also keep away from North Gate Developments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

I would also stay away from Murrays Properties.

Remax is great - have had dealings with them and know people who have too, everyone has had good experience.
    They always deal with everything so fast and professionally, if something is broken, its unbelievable how fast they get it fixed/buy new.

That's brilliant everyone. Thanks so much for all the advice. Fingers crossed I find a place!! :)

I rent with FV Sheehan on South Mall and I find them a pleasure to deal with.Management and Maintenance staff are really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

Choices, 7 years after I'm still irate at them

Steve_hooo wrote: »
    Choices, 7 years after I'm still irate at them

Do you mind giving details? Either posting or by PM? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I agree stay away from choices, i have used numerous other estate agents and had no problems, choices and an idiot of a landlord nearly made me homeless,
    never went near them again

Thanks so much. This has been really helpful! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Just to add: I wouldn't touch Global either.

Tried their best to stitch us up over a rental. There's an English girl working there who I dealt with. If it wasn't for the fact I was in London at the time, I wouldn't have hesitated to stick one on her...And I'm not a violent person!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

For anyone reading this in the future, I'd echo what people are saying about Choices. So unorganized. If they need something from you they are onto you like a pack of wolves. But when you need something from them, be prepared to continuously ring/email/call in before you get it, probably weeks or months later. I don't even think they passed on half the issues to the landlord.

I was lucky enough to get my full deposit back from them, but that's because I knew exactly what they'd be like after dealing with them for a year and 1/2, I was ready for them and made sure they knew if they didn't give me back that deposit they were going to be fighting me all the way, if anyone finds themselves in this situation, PM me for advice if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Thanks so much. This has been really helpful! :)

And....Best of luck with the move to Cork.

Hope you enjoy. :D

Don't rent from Choices should be made a sticky until they clean up their act(so that people are made aware of the shambolic/rip off business they are).

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Don't rent from Choices should be made a sticky until they clean up their act(so that people are made aware of the shambolic/rip off business they are).

I actually thought it might be helpful to other people who have a similar query if (after this weekend) I give my experiences of all the companies I've phoned and emailed over the last two weeks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I actually thought it might be helpful to other people who have a similar query if (after this weekend) I give my experiences of all the companies I've phoned and emailed over the last two weeks..

Yes, FT. I think that would be an excellent idea. I look forward to reading your observations! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

deRanged wrote: »
    they are an absolute dose to deal with. if you can avoid them at all I'd strongly advise it.

avoid Choices at all costs - I've always got on best renting directly from a landlord

Hey all,

So after over a week of phonecalls and emails, something unexpected has come up and we've decided we are not going to conduct viewings of properties this weekend afterall. However here are a few observations about the agents that I've dealt with:

Trading Places

The agent I dealt with was extremely helpful. She had no problem doing Saturday viewings and replied to all emails promptly. Both properties I was interested had received a deposit by the end of yesterday but she was keeping me in mind if anything came up.

Leo

Another helpful agent. Didn't cite any difficulties doing viewings on Saturdays in the 3 emails she sent. Still waiting on a reply to a query from earlier this week but I wouldn't consider having to following up by phone as a fault - rental is a busy industry.

Barry McLoughlin

Really helpful and pleasant agent. She said there's normally no difficulty doing Saturday viewings but this particular Saturday was an exception, two agents were on holiday and another was unavailable. Extremely apologetic and pleasant.

Asera Ltd.

Agent was helpful. Informed me that they don't usually work Saturdays but that if the property was still available by then she would do her best to accomodate a viewing.

Platinum Property (Andrew Duggan Property)

Helpful. Willing to do viewings on Saturdays but I had to make the appointment on Friday evening, as he wouldn't commit to a time before that.

Carlton/Rose/Absolute

All pleasant but don't do viewings on Saturdays.

Choices

Had emailed last week and followed up on Monday before I started this thread. I haven't received a reply to that email yet. Had been good to reply before Monday's email, the agent had been really helpful and was willing to do viewings on a Saturday.

Murray

Helpful, replied to emails, property I was interested in was gone but recommended another property.

Sherry Fitzgerald

Either unhelpful or incompetent (I don't know which) - Explained a number of times that I was flying into the country this weekend and was only available to do viewings this Saturday. The agent sent me a couple of properties after I emailed what we were looking for. Helpful, but four out of five didn't actually have what we had asked for - we specifically asked for a dishwasher and none had one. The tenants in the place that had what we were looking for would not agree to a Saturday viewing. That's fine and their right, however the ad for the property states "It has never been lived in".

I asked that she keep me in mind if any new properties came in that would be suitable. I followed up with her yesterday as I spotted a suitable property on Daft and she informed me that they don't do viewings on Saturdays. If someone opens an email with "I'm flying into Cork for one day...", refers to Saturday in subsequent emails and the subject of the email "Juen 16th", then I think it's either incompetent or deliberately unhelpful to respond with your opening hours 6 emails later. Even if something came up that meant this particular agent was unavailable to conduct viewings just this Saturday, she could have said that and I would have understood and asked that she passed my details on to another agent.

(I only dealt with one agent there - this was my experience with her)

I understand (having working in property negotiation a few years back) that commission for rental property pales in comparison to commission for sales. But if a property is suitable for "young professionals" then how are "young professionals" supposed to view it if some companies only operate within traditional working hours?

Anybody else looking for a place in Cork who has had any similar or different experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

BTW, I found Choices fine and easy to deal with in terms of viewing/negotiating and getting the property. They will obviously be nice while trying to get you to sign on the dotted line.
    It was only afterwards when we were already signed up and paying money that problems occurred when we needed something.

babo9 wrote: »
    BTW, I found Choices fine and easy to deal with in terms of viewing/negotiating and getting the property. They will obviously be nice while trying to get you to sign on the dotted line.
    It was only afterwards when we were already signed up and paying money that problems occurred when we needed something.

Fair point. I never got to the handing over of money stage so my interaction with them was positive, on balance. One thing I'm extremely glad of is that I asked for opinions before committing to anything, so thanks to everyone who shared their experiences :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyscience

Anybody else looking for a place in Cork who has had any similar or different experiences?

Myself and my partner are currently looking also but so far have avoided dealing with estate agents. Really prefer to deal with the landlord directly if possible and cut out the middle man. In our experience they are just way too much hassle, unreliable, inflexible and generally an unnecessary nightmare. As you're looking to come over for one day of intensive viewing id imagine you'r looking for professionalism. Good look with that. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement