Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Estate Agents - rentals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Anyone have any more experiences with Barry McLoughlin?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

Hey all,

Barry McLoughlin

Really helpful and pleasant agent. She said there's normally no difficulty doing Saturday viewings but this particular Saturday was an exception, two agents were on holiday and another was unavailable. Extremely apologetic and pleasant.
    I assume you mean Mcloughlin-Barry?
    Don't be fooled by the courteousness and professionalism now when they want your business. If you take up a tenancy with them they'll no longer be returning your calls so promptly once they have your money. If there are pre-existing issues in the property that they promise to fix, theyll start forgetting these / debating them / making vague promises of visits by handymen etc that never happen. Not to mention the ultra-defensive / threatening / intimidating attitude of Aine McLoughlin on the phone all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Fifi Trixie Belle

Tarzann wrote: »
    Hey all,

Barry McLoughlin

Really helpful and pleasant agent. She said there's normally no difficulty doing Saturday viewings but this particular Saturday was an exception, two agents were on holiday and another was unavailable. Extremely apologetic and pleasant.
    I assume you mean Mcloughlin-Barry?
    Don't be fooled by the courteousness and professionalism now when they want your business. If you take up a tenancy with them they'll no longer be returning your calls so promptly once they have your money. If there are pre-existing issues in the property that they promise to fix, theyll start forgetting these / debating them / making vague promises of visits by handymen etc that never happen. Not to mention the ultra-defensive / threatening / intimidating attitude of Aine McLoughlin on the phone all the time.

Yes I did mean it the other way around. That's really good to know given that I've just resumed my house hunt. Thanks for the information.

Yes I did mean it the other way around. That's really good to know given that I've just resumed my house hunt. Thanks for the information.
    Happy to be of help. Best of luck. I now tend to agree with others who say dealing directly with a landlord is the best way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭dj_

I'll give my opinion on Trading Places. Have been with them for 2 years and everything has been fine so far but now that they know we will be moving out soon on the last inspection they found lots of stuff wrong with the place. It's in the very same condition it has been in for the last few visits and they had no complaints then... I am sure that when we go looking for our deposit back they will come up with reasons to try and hold onto it.

What's the best way to ensure we get as much as we can back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I've had a bit of a mixed bag really, I've rented 4 houses in Cork. Two of which were dealing directly with the landlord and two of which were with rental agencies - including the current place.

First place was directly with the landlord - very awkward to deal with, rude and ignorant + I'm sure she wasn't registered. Second was with a rental agent Marie Kelleher I think her name was....she was unbalanced at the best of times again awkward and rude to deal with and again pretty sure not registered.

Next place dealing with the landlord directly again...now that I think of it, it was actually Carlton that we got the house through but any issues were dealt with by the landlord directly. But he was the best landlord we've ever had, any issues were dealt with straight away and he always treated us with respect and honesty, first thing he had us do when we moved in was register with the PRTB, and same deal with the place we're currently in through Carlton again.

So from my experience I would say try and meet directly with the landlord either way and consider walking away if they don't offer to register you with the PRTB straight up.

Also Choices are the devil they'll do all in their power to try and withhold any deposit put down on a property in my experience with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Faith wrote: »
    I've also heard bad things about Choices.

We dealt with Barry Auctioneers the last time and they were great.

I've had bad experiences with Choices, they're great when you're looking to rent but after you sign up they are fairly sparse with helping you out and the inspections they do of the property are a joke, as if I'm minding someones house for them rather than paying rent to live there.

If by Barry Auctioneers you mean McLoughlin Barry then I have to say I've dealt with them twice and they were beyond a joke. Not showing up to viewings they arranged, turning off their phone when they did this (happened twice) and then not apologising and doing the same thing the following day. Without trying to sound like another disgruntled customer I have to say that Eric Barry, in my experience, is a joke.

I've had good experience with Redfords, very friendly and professional.

Gamb!t wrote: »
    I rent with FV Sheehan on South Mall and I find them a pleasure to deal with.Management and Maintenance staff are really nice.

Made an appointment, half an hour after the time there was nobody showing so I rang, they'd no idea, asked me if I was going to show up, I told them I was waiting for half an hour, they sent someone other than the expected person down 15 minutes later. The tenants had no idea there was a viewing, the place was a mess. the woman I was dealing with was a complete bitch about it and then after telling me she'd ring me back with a few places that I would prefer she just never called back.

Unprofessional and assholes to boot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Dermighty wrote: »
    If by Barry Auctioneers you mean McLoughlin Barry

I don't, I mean Barry Auctioneers. They're on South Mall, beside the Imperial Hotel.

Mcloughlin Barry are a joke. Heating that works and rubbish removed from previous tenant shouldn't be too much to ask for in a house, but there's no rush getting this done if your name is Aine Mcloughlin or Eric Barry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

I'll second all those that say avoid Choices - the MOST IGNORANT RUDE UNINTERESTED shower of morans you will ever come across. No interest whatsoever in you.

We were looking to let for an employee as we are opening an office in Cork - nice corporate letting - and their attutude stank on 3 occasions we talked to them.

FV Sheahans & Sherry Fitzgerald Lettings were both brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

sandin wrote: »
    I'll second all those that say avoid Choices - the MOST IGNORANT RUDE UNINTERESTED shower of morans you will ever come across. No interest whatsoever in you.

We were looking to let for an employee as we are opening an office in Cork - nice corporate letting - and their attutude stank on 3 occasions we talked to them.

FV Sheahans & Sherry Fitzgerald Lettings were both brilliant.
    Worst crowd I ever dealt with,so rude and unprofessional.
    Unfortunately they seem to have most of the decent places to rent in Cork as there are a lot of dumps with outdated furniture for ridiculous prices.
    I'm amazed choices do so well,not to mind are still in business considering their attitude to customers stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 justme112

Hey all,

sorry to post on an old thread but I'm currently having the same issue with McLoughlin Barrys regarding getting deposit back.
    Its always the same story about the landlord being out of the country and he has to drop a cheque in.

Can anyone let me know how they dealt with McLoughlin Barrys and how they got their deposits back. Also the house is exactly as it was when we first rented it - no damage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

I haven't dealt specifically with Barry Mc Loughlins, but a clear and firm registered letter outlining their responsibilities, if possible after consulting with PRTB, should do the trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 justme112

Yeah, looks like thats the way its heading. Completely unnecessary hassle!! Threshold and then submit complaint to PTRB?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Yet another "avoid Choices at all costs". They are very nice and courteous when it is about viewing and initiating the rent, after that you don't exist anymore. They only remember about you when money is due to them and the inspections every three months are an absolute joke - I was even told they hold on a spare key and can do the inspection regardless if you are there or not.

The place I am in is managed by them and I will be moving out next year, rest assured.

If you can find a property that they are renting but not managing, then it's OK - previous apartment I was in (for 3 years) I rented through Choices but was managed by Joe Neville & Sons...I can't recommend them enough, absolutely spot on the ball all the time, any issue - no matter how small or big - dealt with in a matter of days, no annoying inspections and invasions of your privacy, definitely "5 stars" stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Jeebus, not good feedback re Choices!

I've been dealing with them for years. They're not great, no. They've improved though - they were utterly abysmal a few years ago... and now they're not great. An improvement is an improvement! :pac:

Redfords maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Jeebus, not good feedback re Choices!

I've been dealing with them for years. They're not great, no. They've improved though - they were utterly abysmal a few years ago... and now they're not great. An improvement is an improvement! :pac:

Redfords maybe?

I am dealing with them right now, and they're not bad - they're absolutely rubbish. Short of purposely putting rats in my apartment and trying to charge me to remove them, there is really nothing they could do worse than they're doing - the constant ignoring of calls, emails and even personal visits (you go there, make your point, they go "ah sure, that's bad, we'll send somebody ASAP"...and nothing happens) added to the continuous harassment about their "inspections" is really too much to take. I am staying where I am until the end of the contract next year, then I'm running like the wind.

Only big problem, it looks like any place in Cork that's not a total dump, is managed or rented by Choices :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I am dealing with them right now, and they're not bad - they're absolutely rubbish. Short of purposely putting rats in my apartment and trying to charge me to remove them, there is really nothing they could do worse than they're doing - the constant ignoring of calls, emails and even personal visits (you go there, make your point, they go "ah sure, that's bad, we'll send somebody ASAP"...and nothing happens) added to the continuous harassment about their "inspections" is really too much to take. I am staying where I am until the end of the contract next year, then I'm running like the wind.

Only big problem, it looks like any place in Cork that's not a total dump, is managed or rented by Choices :mad:

I don't know how they control such a large chunk of the market. When we were moving in June, we purposely excluded anywhere managed by Choices and it easily halved our options. Some gorgeous looking houses were passed up without even viewing them because we refused to deal with Choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I've not read through the whole thread so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but: We got our house through Choices. That was the only dealings we had with them though, the initial viewing and signing of the lease . Everything from that point has been through the actual landlord. My only complaint about them would be that the house wasn't.. too well cleaned* prior to us moving in, but I'm not sure if that was Choices responsibility or the Landlords though.

*Socks under beds, makeup/toys/stickers under couch cushions, stickers stuck to ceiling etc. Looked like the last tenants left in a very big rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭Milly33

It should be there's I know they will catch you when you move out for having the place spotless. Baffled also how they have managed to run a lot of the lettings out there. Everyone knows to stay away from them so I am surprised people still use them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Milly33 wrote: »
    Baffled also how they have managed to run a lot of the lettings out there. Everyone knows to stay away from them so I am surprised people still use them
    Except the landlords? If they offer competitive rates to the landlords then they are likely to get their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Anerak

Hi I am currently looking to move to Cork.
    Has anyone any dealings with Rose property?or recommend anyone to contact for rental places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

deRanged wrote: »
    they are an absolute dose to deal with. if you can avoid them at all I'd strongly advise it.

Choices don't pay there tradesmen for work done. When I looked for payment I was told the person who I was dealing with had left and no record of my work and so no payment.......
    I've been given this story by other agencys too.
    That is the reason they can't get anything fixed. Nobody good will work for them anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭ladysarah

my name is marie kelkeher and i have been receiving abusive texts today from a lady who wanted to view a property tomorrow to move in next month and i explained to her the landlord would not wait a month.

Obviously in my job i have unpleasent situations where i have to follow guidelines and issue warning letters re rent arrears etc.

I have just emailed my solicitor re the above post.
    Please stop posting material as above.

mods i would appreciate you viewing bia44 post. Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bia44

Marie, as you can see I was not the only person that in one point in my life had a bad experience with you. There was no hard feelings as at the point we did find accomodation in the end. This is a discussion page where people express opinions, it is called freedom of speech. You don't see any other of the Estate Agents that was mentioned in above posts contacting their solicitors. Maybe take this opportunity to change the way you conduct yourself, then you might get more positive feedback.

using words as "screw loose" is v serious.

but just because i told you something you did not want to hear doesnott warrent the above comment.

As i said by text earlier i wish you well.but you made a threst which i am not going to post on a public forum.

Mods please review posts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

ladysarah wrote: »
    my name is marie kelkeher and i have been receiving abusive texts today from a lady who wanted to view a property tomorrow to move in next month and i explained to her the landlord would not wait a month.

Obviously in my job i have unpleasent situations where i have to follow guidelines and issue warning letters re rent arrears etc.

I have just emailed my solicitor re the above post.
    Please stop posting material as above.

Well, I'll be honest here, and I tend to avoid such drama.

I called you a few weeks back about a place on the Boreenmana Road and you promptly said "Oh, that place is gone."
    I tried to respond and ask about another place, and you hung up on me.

I note that place is all listed on Daft. Is it just there for attention or something?

I tried calling you on a few occasions and my calls were ignored or again, you hung up.

I went from agency to agency looking for an apartment (which I did), and each one named you and advised to avoid you, but still recommended each other for places.

Even speaking to friends and family who have looked in the past, they all advised against you.

I'd really have a good think about your reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bia44

Marie I think you are mistaking me with somebody else, which means your above comments were not meant for me.

• Advertisement

mods i am happy to print off converaation from bia44 sent to my phone and texts i sent her back.

it was simply because i was not wanting to waste her time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement