Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Much colder Tues onward ------>Frost/wintry showers (Risk of snow in East for a time)

• 30-03-2012 12:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Looks like wintry weather on the way. Some models even show a risk of snow showers in the East midweek as very cold artic air moves down over the country. No certainty how long the much colder weather might last but some interesting charts none the less.

198251.GIF

198252.GIF

Definitely a very different week coming up wrt the weather. Frost becoming widespread and severe as night time temperatures end up a good few degrees below freezing. A bitter temporary Northeasterly may prevent frost in the East but could also bring heavy hail, sleet and snow showers. Keep up to date here! Bbl.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

if this was up to a month ago i would be very excited but at this stage it's way too late. Chance's are all most of us will see is frost and cold rain/sleet. Hopefully this will be very short lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Gonzo wrote: »
    if this was up to a month ago i would be very excited but at this stage it's way too late. Chance's are all most of us will see is frost and cold rain/sleet. Hopefully this will be very short lived.

If the source of the cold was deep enough it wouldnt really make a difference to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

One last gasp of winter looks very possible alright... but goose bumps on top of sunburn doesn't really go does it?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chucky Norris

please snow piss off and return in December if you don't mind so theres no chance of a warm weather next week is there :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

ahhh for feck sake. :mad: i want sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

You've made my day Darkman2.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

I've been planning on getting out to West Clare for a few surfs all week in work-reeeally looking forward to splashing about in the sunshine...ffs! I love cold weather but its too late now-feck off snow! (mind you it'll probably just mist a constant and depressing drizzle in the West):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

No thanks, It's well past my snow watching time. I want sun, heat and boobies hanging out.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

...teach me to plant my peas out in March won't it ?

*digs out bubble wrap*

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Oh my poor petunias. Must dig out the straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

temperatures of around 4 to 8c by day and snow on mountains some wintry showers at lower levels. more exciting than constant mist and more sun than dull damp grey.

it could be cold for quite a bit of April but not extremely. mite have to change my Boards Forecast IMT but I think ill leave it. Think end of April will be warm.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I wouldn't be suprised if we saw more frost and snow in April then we saw all winter:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I wouldn't be suprised if we saw more frost and snow in April then we saw all winter:rolleyes:

Nuthin nuts about you Bird. This would also be Darkmans second right call on the trot...well done Darkman. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Really? I spotted a potential northerly a week ago and even predicted the reappearance of Darkman. :pac:

I would suggest that this thread title be prefixed 'Late Winter' to go with the more recent 'Early Summer' thread :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Hey all! Alot of positivity in here! :D

More confidence in the forecast for next week now. Good agreement on a much colder midweek. This looks temporary atm so by Friday temperatures may recover somewhat. Increasingly it looks like Tuesday and Tuesday night into Wednesday is the timeframe to watch. There is a real risk now of either a prolonged spell of rain turning to sleet and snow or heavy showers in the East and Southeast in particular which could well be snow showers. This is a bit awkward in terms of specifics. I am confident enough though we may well have the forum lit up like a Christmas tree on Tuesday night the way the trend is:)

Latest UKMO pressure and 850hpa temp chart and precipitation for Tuesday

UW72-21.GIF?31-18

UW72-7.GIF?31-18

UW72-594.GIF?31-18

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Just looking at the the forecast after the six one news, no mention of next week, and 10 degrees over us Tuesday and nothing to wintry on MT'S update this morning are we all looking at the same models:)

Just looking at the the forecast after the six one news, no mention of next week, and 10 degrees over us Tuesday and nothing to wintry on MT'S update this morning are we all looking at the same models:)

Yup. No question things will be going downhill for the sun worshippers on Tuesday very rapidly. They just don't want to officially depress the nation yet;)

And the speed of change is quite something - looking at 7 or 8c currently widely on Tuesday morning falling into low single figures by the afternoon. This is associated with a cold front that has a very sharp thermal gradient on current forecasts and hence the threat of frontal rain turning to snow during the day. Definitely something to track although it's not completely nailed yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Seems to be a small potential for some heavy showers to develop overland this coming Monday as the fairly slack air mass destabilizes a little during the afternoon but may depend on how much high cloud there is ahead of an approaching front.

PS. I really hope this cold spell does not last too long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Joe Bastardi ‏ @BigJoeBastardi By by spring UK and western Europe.. snow coming to alot of places along with well below norm temps

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

You can't beat a good Darkman2 thread :) For genuine weather fans its going to be a very interesting week ahead. Personally i love when a cold front passes through and the temps drop like a stone in a short space of time. Some really fantastic charts for mid week :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

May this **** off back oop north pronto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

its snowing in Rathdrum....!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

JJJJNR wrote: »
    its snowing in Rathdrum....!!

April 1st

Seems boards.ie has contrived to make the charts not viewable for the day (April 1st).

You can view lots of stuff on these sites in any case...I doubt anything barring the earth shifting on it's axis is going to change the forecast drastically at this stage.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsenseur.html

http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/gfse_cartes.php

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&CONT=euro&MODELL=gfs&VAR=prec

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Think of the poor lambs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I have a feeling that this April will be a very different one from the last few years;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Well I suppose we cannot complain that the weather has been boring meh for the past week or so, and it seems to be shaping up for some interesting charts ahead. Wonder what the possibility of sleet or snow will do to the numbers on here???:D Come out, come out where-ever you are Snowbunnies.... Easter is coming...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Well I have to say I'm somewhat excited at a brief flirt with cold, this could produce accumulations of snowin some places, all going to plan of course.
    hirlam-0-57_yey5.png

hirlam-2-60_dtg7.png

hirlam-1-57_hqr3.png

Advertisement