Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

03-03-2012, 04:14   #1
darkman2
Banned

Sleet and Snow showers in the West and North - Possible Wednesday March 7th

Hi all,

Just to say that snow showers will affect the North and West over the next 72 hours. Accumulation of snow likely Saturday night. Snow showers more widespread Sunday night for a time before dieing out. Frost and Ice likely.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-03-2012, 10:29   #2
BEASTERLY

Above 300m though yea?
03-03-2012, 15:05   #3
Sponge Bob
Banned

And this is what MT says in his daily forecast today.

I think I'll not bother getting excited .....as usual.

Quote:
SUNDAY ... Morning sleet or snow possible near east coast and over parts of the south, variable cloud elsewhere with isolated wintry showers, followed by a general clearing trend, chilly, highs 5-8 C. Winds northerly 20-40 mph in eastern counties, 15-30 mph west.
Can you explain to us why you say west and north while MT says east and south Darkman???
03-03-2012, 15:20   #4
ZX7R

We have had some major hail showers a bit of tunder too.The tempature has droped over 5 degrees in the last hour (suncroft kildare)
Thanks from:
03-03-2012, 15:20   #5
nacho libre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge Bob View Post
And this is what MT says in his daily forecast today.

I think I'll not bother getting excited .....as usual.

Can you explain to us why you say west and north while MT says east and south Darkman???
Well met eireann seem to be of the view that there will be wintry showers in the north and west tonight and tomorrow, albeit any snow being confined to high ground. Also the BBC precipitation charts last night did show some snow showers in the north and west.
Advertisement
03-03-2012, 15:32   #6
Sponge Bob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho libre View Post
Well met eireann seem to be of the view that there will be wintry showers in the north and west tonight and tomorrow, albeit any snow being confined to high ground.
ah yes, Met eireann say

http://www.met.ie/

Quote:
Tonight, showers will continue in Western and northwestern coastal counties, some of hail and sleet, with snow over high ground. There is also a risk of thunder. Some heavy showers of rain and sleet are possible for a time later this evening and early tonight in parts of Munster and Leinster, with snow over high ground, but most parts will become dry and clear later in the night. Very cold everywhere, with widespread sharp to severe frost and a risk of icy patches. Mist and fog patches also, as winds slacken. Minimum temperatures 0 to minus 3 Celsius.
Nothing unusual about flurries of muck on high ground in March. However 95% of the population does not live on High Ground.

I think that wintry showers could occur absolutely anywhere save on the south coast myself and I still wonder why the west and north are being picked on here
03-03-2012, 15:53   #7
nacho libre

Quote:
ah yes, Met eireann say

http://www.met.ie/

Nothing unusual about flurries of muck on high ground in March. However 95% of the population does not live on High Ground.

I think that wintry showers could occur absolutely anywhere save on the south coast myself and I still wonder why the west and north are being picked on here
I'm well aware that most of us don't live on high ground. However,
there is always the possibility that snow may make it to lower ground at times in these situations when its not forecasted to. I recall this actually happening earlier this winter , believe it or not!

Any showers will most likely die out in most other places over night on Saturday. Showers do look more widespread on Sunday, though.

Last edited by nacho libre; 03-03-2012 at 16:58.
Thanks from:
03-03-2012, 15:58   #8
nacho libre

actually there has been a slight upgrade to the met eireann forecast:

Cold this evening and tonight with clear spells and showers. Some showers heavy and possibly thundery and turning to hail and sleet in places overnight. A few snow showers also, mainly on high ground. Lowest temperatures plus 1 to -3 C., with a hard frost, icy patches and possibly some patches of fog at dawn.

not likely there will be any disruptive snow lower down, but at least the possibility of snow at lower ground is being mentioned.
03-03-2012, 16:17   #9
Redsunset

Ah perhaps we could get some surprise snow but I'm not holding my breath. Its spring now and even though in the past we have experienced some harsh cold, I'm in warm mode now and a scorching summer with ferocious thunder storms would be gladly welcomed.
Advertisement
03-03-2012, 16:52   #10
glossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsunset View Post
Ah perhaps we could get some surprise snow but I'm not holding my breath. Its spring now and even though in the past we have experienced some harsh cold, I'm in warm mode now and a scorching summer with ferocious thunder storms would be gladly welcomed.
oh yeah !!!!!
03-03-2012, 17:05   #11
darkman2
Banned

Quote:

There is alot of chopping and changing that comes with marginality in certain events. MT is correct that there could be some sleet and snow for a short time in the East (at low levels too) later tonight as an occlusion crosses the country pepping up activity but most shower activity will be in the West. There won't be much snow in the East and it looks to be mostly rain. Back edge snow. Needless to say most of the sleet and snow on higher ground but lower ground at times too.

Very marginal

Last edited by darkman2; 03-03-2012 at 18:07.
Thanks from:
03-03-2012, 17:54   #12
TheFairy

The **** flinging by certain members at other members on this forum is now beyond a joke. If someone makes a judgement and it differs from another poster why should they have to quantify it? Used to be a great place to get an idea on the weather, but now its an ePeeing ground!
03-03-2012, 18:18   #13
Sponge Bob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkman2 View Post
Back edge snow. Needless to say most of the sleet and snow on higher ground but lower ground at times too.

Very marginal

Exceedingly marginal. It is 6c or so out there now so it could happen I suppose. But it was a 25% possibility all along.

I'll report first hand accumulation data from 40mASL in the West tomorrow morning shall I???

12z GFS. Not that different from 00z shown below.

Saturday 00z GFS for same timeframe. This would have been the latest operable around thread start time.

03-03-2012, 22:36   #14
pauldry

snow borderlineish but it is a cold night. a lot of cloud here and 3.8c almost constantly since 9pm so doesnt seem to be getting colder. id say there will be hail and ice patches here.
03-03-2012, 22:42   #15
Iancar29

Sleet/snow In Tuam right now..

(3) thanks from:
Thread Closed