Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-02-2012, 12:08   #16
krudler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Panda View Post
Never actually saw The Insider. Might give that a go tonight. After a few episodes of Married with Children! Ahead of it's time I tell ya!
Great film, intelligent adult drama, its superbly shot too as you'd expect from Michael Mann. Full of great character actors too
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-02-2012, 12:30   #17
johnny_ultimate
Production Model EVA-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fysh View Post
Any other recommendations from the UK/Ireland anime selection?
Summer Wars is the director's follow up to Girl Who Leapt... and is (IMO) a superior film. Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is meant to be great too. I still haven't gotten around to the TV show and the dub is a cause for concern, but still really want to give it a gander soon.

Last edited by johnny_ultimate; 23-02-2012 at 12:38.
Thanks from:
23-02-2012, 12:41   #18
Fysh

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_ultimate View Post
Summer Wars is the director's follow up to Girl Who Leapt... and is (IMO) a superior film. Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is meant to be great too. I still haven't gotten around to the TV show and the dub is a cause for concern, but still really want to give it a gander soon.
Boo, Summer Wars isn't on UK Netflix

I'd noticed Disappearance Of Haruhi Suzumiya alright, and I'll likely plow through all the Ghost In The Shell stuff as well. It's amusing that the Anime category includes Invincible Iron Man and Thor
23-02-2012, 12:49   #19
johnny_ultimate
Production Model EVA-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fysh View Post
Boo, Summer Wars isn't on UK Netflix
Just checked the Irish one and it's gone too, which is a shame. Oh well, means you have to buy the subbed Blu-Ray instead
23-02-2012, 13:00   #20
Fysh

Quote:
Just checked the Irish one and it's gone too, which is a shame. Oh well, means you have to buy the subbed Blu-Ray, full-HD TV and Blu-Ray player instead
Fixed that for you

I've read suggestions that a lot of the current anime selection is provided through the soon-to-expire Starz deal, but I'm hoping they have some sort of plan to address that. I know there's not a huge selection on the UK/Irish set up, but it'd be a real shame to lose what's there.
Advertisement
23-02-2012, 13:09   #21
johnny_ultimate
Production Model EVA-02

Well in the US version there are a few distributors on board, with varying selections: a company called Viz seem to be the ones providing subtitled anime like Death Note, whereas Starz are the ones sticking with dubs. They do the same on iTunes - downloaded the (dreadful) Eden of the East movies and was disgusted to discover they didn't provide an original language option .

I'm not sure if Manga are on board over here yet, but since they 'own' a lot of the anime properties released over here there'd be a lot of potential for subbed stuff. But streaming anime has never been adequately handled over here. Bar whatever's available on crunchyroll (a significantly poorer selection than the US, I gather) there's few legal alternatives. Whereas the US has quite a number of anime streaming sites and services - anime network, adult swim etc... - here Netflix seems the only the option. And it would be a real shame if the distribution contracts don't allow for online distribution options.
23-02-2012, 13:28   #22
Fysh

Quote:
Well in the US version there are a few distributors on board, with varying selections: a company called Viz seem to be the ones providing subtitled anime like Death Note, whereas Starz are the ones sticking with dubs. They do the same on iTunes - downloaded the (dreadful) Eden of the East movies and was disgusted to discover they didn't provide an original language option .
Hopefully they'll expand the deal with Viz - they're the crowd who provide a lot of manga to the US (stuff like Shonen Jump as well as Dragon Ball, 20th Century Boys, Pluto etc).

Quote:
I'm not sure if Manga are on board over here yet, but since they 'own' a lot of the anime properties released over here there'd be a lot of potential for subbed stuff. But streaming anime has never been adequately handled over here. Bar whatever's available on crunchyroll (a significantly poorer selection than the US, I gather) there's few legal alternatives. Whereas the US has quite a number of anime streaming sites and services - anime network, adult swim etc... - here Netflix seems the only the option. And it would be a real shame if the distribution contracts don't allow for online distribution options.
Yeah, it'd be awesome to get Manga on board. Might go and pester ask nicely via mail if there are plans to get them on board
23-02-2012, 13:38   #23
krudler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipsy McSwagger View Post
Pulling John was very good. I'm currently watching the first season of Sons of Anarchy which is brilliant. It takes a few episodes to click but once it does it's mental.
SOA is excellent, but be warned,most of season three is nearly a show killer, but season 4 is amazing again so its worth sticking with it, ask any SOA fan and yeah, season 3 sucks for the most part.
23-02-2012, 13:46   #24
Technocentral

Watched "Lives Of Others" last night, fantastic film, great evocation of what it must have been like to live in such a dour, colourless dictatorship where you couldn't trust anyone , fantastic performance from main Stazi guy (sad that he died around time that the film was released).

Last edited by Technocentral; 23-02-2012 at 13:49.
Advertisement
23-02-2012, 13:47   #25
adox

Possibly Cronenbergs finest hour, The Fly is available in HD for anyone who hasnt seen it. A gem of a movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.M.B. View Post
Being Elmo: A Puppeteers Story was added to US Netflix the other day.

Highly recommended for being just an all round feel good and inspiring documentary.
Going to check this one out over the next few days.
23-02-2012, 16:34   #26
elWizard

Citizen Ruth

Alexander Payne's first movie. Never properly released here and I'd always wanted to see it and, though for me it's not his best (hint: Election) it proved well worth a watch. An unusually scuzzy role for Laura Dern. Kurtwood Smith. Abortion satire. (On US Netflix only, assuming everyone has that now!)
23-02-2012, 17:36   #27
baby and crumble

The Bridge: Great documentary following a year looking at the suicides jumps from the Golden Gate Bridge.
23-02-2012, 18:02   #28
Cazale

Have been watching 24 and Breaking Bad so have not got to watch as many films as I would liked but here are some I enjoyed.

TrollHunter

A group of students investigates a series of mysterious bear killings, but learns that there are much more dangerous things going on. They start to follow a mysterious hunter, learning that he is actually a troll hunter.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740707/

Best Worse Movie - A look at the making of the film Troll 2 and its journey from being crowned the "worst film of all time" to a cherished cult classic.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1144539/

Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Tucker & Dale are on vacation at their dilapidated mountain cabin when they are attacked by a group of preppy college kids.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1465522/

House of 1000 Corpses

Two teenage couples traveling across the backwoods of Texas searching for urban legends of serial killers end up as prisoners of a bizarre and sadistic backwater family of serial killers.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251736/

The King of Kong

Diehard video game fans compete to break World Records on classic arcade games.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0923752/
(4) thanks from:
23-02-2012, 18:06   #29
krudler

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby and crumble View Post
The Bridge: Great documentary following a year looking at the suicides jumps from the Golden Gate Bridge.
crazy footage in that, I thought it'd be cctv stills not actual footage of people committing suicide, but you're seeing the last moments of someones life, its powerful stuff.
23-02-2012, 20:01   #30
adox

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudler View Post
crazy footage in that, I thought it'd be cctv stills not actual footage of people committing suicide, but you're seeing the last moments of someones life, its powerful stuff.
I watched it a while ago and posted about it in the Doc. Forum. The one thing that didn't sit with me too well was that the director didn't tell any of the families interviewed, that he had filmed their loved ones jumping.

Fascinating documentary all the same which stayed long in my mind afterwards.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion