Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
20-01-2012, 09:24   #1
BenThere
Registered User
 
BenThere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,727
Best breakfast after workout for weight loss?

Hi all,

I've been running 3 times a week for 2 years and do about 20km per week. Nothing fancy, a couple of 45 minute sessions in the gym from 6am to 7am (before the kids get up and turn the house upside down) and and a 7 min per KM slow run at the weekend for about 45-50 minutes.

I've had hypertension (high blood pressure) for 15 years so diet and exercise is important (isn't it always??) in order to keep on top of it and avoid having to increase medication. I do struggle a bit with my weight. I'm 43 and 183cm so ideally should be around 85KG in order to have a BMI of 25 but I'm 96KG and have a BMI of 30

In order to address this I've just started a complimentary resistance/weight based program which includes some core exercise work and an additional 30 mins of interval/hill style training i.e. 15 mins on the treadmill doing a hill program and 15 mins on the cross trainer doing the same. (They nearly killed me this morning!!)

The plan is to keep doing my 3 runs a week but and to do the resistance program on the 3 days I previously had off. I know I can do this as I wake up most mornings at 5:45 in time to go to the gym regardless of whether I'm going or not!! - How sad is that??

So that's the background.

My question however is "What is the right breakfast to have?"

At the moment I typically have the following:-

- 3 medium poached eggs on two slices of multi grain toast with butter
- 3 slices (150g) of of Aldi's traditional Porchon style French ham.
- A mug of sweet tea (two sugars) with a very small amount of skimmed milk, literally a table spoons worth of milk.
- 300ml of freshly squeezed/grated apple, carrot and ginger juice.

This keeps me going all morning but by lunchtime I'm hungry again and although I've tried eating nuts etc it just doesn't work and I usually end up getting a sandwich of some sort.

In order to lose 0.68 of a KG per week MyFitnessPal tells me I need to keep my net calorie intake to below 1,620 per day net of any calories I "gain" through exercise which is usually about 500 on the days I work out.

It calculates that the above breakfast is 748 calories.

Are there alternative foods I can eat which would keep me full for most of the day without bursting the calorie limit?

I do have a bit of a sweet tooth (2 sugars in tea, honey in porridge etc) but apart from that I'm prepared to try anything.

I'm also hoping there is some sort of super duper shake with bananas, honey, yoghurt and nuts (or whatever) which I could make up and bring to work to have when the lunchtime munchies kick in.

Appreciate any suggestions you guys can give me.

Cheers,

Ben

Last edited by BenThere; 20-01-2012 at 09:28.
BenThere is online now  
Advertisement
20-01-2012, 21:35   #2
BenThere
Registered User
 
BenThere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,727
Seriously, 101 views ^^^^^ and no one has any contribution to make?? This is not the Boards.ie spirit!!
BenThere is online now  
20-01-2012, 22:53   #3
RobAMerc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,660
I am certainly no expert but in order to get things moving here and hopefully some useful debate, I'll suggest the following.

keep the eggs, change the toast to whole grain or home made brown
swap the ham for a bowl of porridge as it will help keep you fuller
dump the sugar in your tea - it's useless and much easier to cut than you'd think
get rid of the juice as its all sugar and no fibre, you'd be much better off keeping the whole fruits as snacks later in the morning to stave off hunger.

also - in order to lose weight you need to run a deficit all day and keep the carbs low ( imo ) - scrap the sambo too for some pre prepared dishes like a piece of salmon and a salad brought from home ( made on the mornings you get up but dont go to the gym perhaps ?)
RobAMerc is offline  
(3) thanks from:
20-01-2012, 23:31   #4
Serafijn
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dublin
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenThere View Post
At the moment I typically have the following:-

- 3 medium poached eggs on two slices of multi grain toast with butter
- 3 slices (150g) of of Aldi's traditional Porchon style French ham.
- A mug of sweet tea (two sugars) with a very small amount of skimmed milk, literally a table spoons worth of milk.
- 300ml of freshly squeezed/grated apple, carrot and ginger juice.
[...]
It calculates that the above breakfast is 748 calories.
That is a breakfast and a half

How about breaking it down into two smaller, separate meals. So have your eggs and toast straight after your workout along with your cup of sweet tea. Then save the ham and juice for mid morning when your tummy starts to rumble a little. I find that if I eat a big meal all in one go it wears off quicker, but if I spread it out it lasts longer. Just a thought
Serafijn is offline  
Thanks from:
22-01-2012, 15:45   #5
The Davestator
Registered User
 
The Davestator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,720
It's a decent brekki. Lose the toast, add a protein shake and change it up most days. Steak and scrambled eggs makes a lovely high protein, very filling brekkie. Cook steak night before to save time.

The juice will be quite high in empty sugar calories (even though they are natural sugars) so limit it.
The Davestator is offline  
Advertisement
22-01-2012, 21:40   #6
BenThere
Registered User
 
BenThere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,727
Thanks all,

I'll drop one of the two toasts and change to whole grain (need something to eat the poached eggs with), add a small bowl of porridge with some seeds and a little honey (there's that sweet tooth again) and try and drop or reduce the sugar in my Tea. I'll also reduce the fruit juice to 150ml.

Steak and eggs sounds like a treat of a breakfast. Had steak for dinner tonight and cooked a little extra which I'll have with eggs on Tuesday.

I'll also bring some fruit to have in work. An apple, banana and/or orange a day wouldn't go astray would it?

What protein shakes should I go for? I've no idea about these. Do I make them up myself from yoghurt, fruit etc?

Ben
BenThere is online now  
23-01-2012, 13:29   #7
daviesp856
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Best breakfast after workout for weight loss?

Ben

Why not give an appetite suppresant a try so you feel less hungry?

There are tonnes of them around.
daviesp856 is offline  
23-01-2012, 13:55   #8
Jarren
Registered User
 
Jarren's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Neverland
Posts: 4,181
Small portion of oats with sliced banana, black coffee,it usually keeps me going until lunchtime.
Jarren is offline  
23-01-2012, 14:20   #9
prettygurrly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenThere View Post

I'll drop one of the two toasts and change to whole grain (need something to eat the poached eggs with)
try eating your eggs with some grilled bacon instead. I dont eat bread with my eggs anymore (i usually scramble with a bit of cheese and curry powder, yum),

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenThere View Post
add a small bowl of porridge with some seeds and a little honey (there's that sweet tooth again) and try and drop or reduce the sugar in my Tea. I'll also reduce the fruit juice to 150ml.
The porridge would be good, maybe try splenda instead of honey and use splenda in your tea. it's made from sugar so it's not aspartame. I've used it and it's brill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenThere View Post
I'll also reduce the fruit juice to 150ml.
you'd be better to increase your intake of water rather than drink fruit juice. however what I do to quell my sweet tooth (particularly in the evening) is have a diet coke (just a glass, but i know it was aspartame in it ) or if earlier in the day i have fairly weak, no added sugar blackcurrant squash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenThere View Post

I'll also bring some fruit to have in work. An apple, banana and/or orange a day wouldn't go astray would it?

What protein shakes should I go for? I've no idea about these. Do I make them up myself from yoghurt, fruit etc?

Ben
if you seriously want to lose weight then for a month or so to increase your fat burning you need to reduce carbs and these include your fruit intake. if you're worried about your health, take a supplement for a little while. when you see a response to your restricted carbs on the scales then you can reintroduce slowly until you get a happy balance. remember to keep your fat intake steady. people are under the misconception that eating fat makes you fat, it's eating too many carbs that are stored as fat that makes you fat. you need fat in your diet to absorb a few vitamins.

i was/am a follower of the atkins diet and if i'm doing it properly my intake of veg and protein goes up and other bits of me start working correctly, i lost 2 stone over the course of 10 months and was in the best shape i ever was. nowadays I do take a protein shake and they keep me going until lunch time and have lost weight while on them but a bit slower because i drink them with milk. you can buy them from a fairly good discount irish website, pm if you want their info. i'm just going to start back into seriously watching what i eat as i'm slowing gaining weight again. so today i had my shake. lunch i had two eggs and 4 small pieces of pudding. dinner...i dont know yet but i'm thinking a pork chop with loads of chilli broccoli. anyway, hope some of my ramblings were useful.
prettygurrly is offline  
Advertisement
23-01-2012, 16:42   #10
BenThere
Registered User
 
BenThere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,727
Thank all,

An appetite suppressant would be cheating in my book so that's not an option.

Banana with porridge and some splenda and tea with one spoon of slenda both sound.....splenda

I'll also see about getting those protein shakes prettygurrly, will PM you.

Am already upping the meat content in the evenings with veg and potatoes so hopefully that will help a lot. Pasta and rice don't exist to me anymore!!

Ben
BenThere is online now  
24-01-2012, 08:53   #11
corkcomp
Registered User
 
corkcomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cork
Posts: 5,118
Send a message via MSN to corkcomp
OP, you should have a read of the stickies and calculate how many calories you need to be taking in and estimate from there (doesnt have to be 100% exact!) I would advise chaging your carb sources rather than cutting out carbs and increasing meat intake might be counter-productive tbh as you might end up increasing overall calories. I would keep whole fruit in the diet (not just bananas though) and cut out the juice completely.. as for sugar in tea - needs to go too
corkcomp is offline  
24-01-2012, 09:54   #12
BenThere
Registered User
 
BenThere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkcomp View Post
OP, you should have a read of the stickies and calculate how many calories you need to be taking in and estimate from there (doesnt have to be 100% exact!) I would advise chaging your carb sources rather than cutting out carbs and increasing meat intake might be counter-productive tbh as you might end up increasing overall calories. I would keep whole fruit in the diet (not just bananas though) and cut out the juice completely.. as for sugar in tea - needs to go too
Hi Cokcomp,

I actually downloaded the www.myfitnesspal.com Android app last week and I have to say it's a seriously useful way to set your target and track your calories Vs target. You input your height, age weight etc, then set your weight loss goal and timeframe ie. lose 5KG in 3 months or whatever and it calculates what your daily calorie consumption should be to achieve that. It also sets targets and tacks carbs, fat and protein etc.

Each day you input the foods you eat and the exercise you do and you track your weight. You get "extra" calories added to your allowance for doing exercise.

I think it's an excellent tool for getting a black and white handle on

a) what you should be eating
b) how you are doing against your plan

It's not at all intrusive or difficult to use. At the end of each meal it takes 30 seconds to enter what you've just eaten and you instantly see how many calories you have left for the day.

Here's my record so far today. What you don't see on this screen is the option to enter exercise. I did a 45 minute run this morning so that gave me back an additional 642 calories. My daily calorie target is 1,620 without exercise. By adding the 642 calories I 'gained" this morning my revised calorie allowance for today is now 2,262. I enter the info on the phone but it automatically sync's it to my account on the website which is easier to use for tracking progress etc.



I highly recommended it.

Ben

Last edited by BenThere; 24-01-2012 at 10:05.
BenThere is online now  
Thanks from:
27-01-2012, 00:26   #13
katherinekk
Registered User
 
katherinekk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenThere View Post
Hi Cokcomp,

I actually downloaded the www.myfitnesspal.com Android app last week and I have to say it's a seriously useful way to set your target and track your calories Vs target. You input your height, age weight etc, then set your weight loss goal and timeframe ie. lose 5KG in 3 months or whatever and it calculates what your daily calorie consumption should be to achieve that. It also sets targets and tacks carbs, fat and protein etc.

Each day you input the foods you eat and the exercise you do and you track your weight. You get "extra" calories added to your allowance for doing exercise.

I think it's an excellent tool for getting a black and white handle on

a) what you should be eating
b) how you are doing against your plan

It's not at all intrusive or difficult to use. At the end of each meal it takes 30 seconds to enter what you've just eaten and you instantly see how many calories you have left for the day.

Here's my record so far today. What you don't see on this screen is the option to enter exercise. I did a 45 minute run this morning so that gave me back an additional 642 calories. My daily calorie target is 1,620 without exercise. By adding the 642 calories I 'gained" this morning my revised calorie allowance for today is now 2,262. I enter the info on the phone but it automatically sync's it to my account on the website which is easier to use for tracking progress etc.



I highly recommended it.

Ben
just joined myfitnesspal due to ur post, its very handy and id say helps keep u motivated! im struggling with motivation after i lost weight very easily earlier in january and now am sturggling to keep up ( lost 1 whole stone in ten days!!!) pm me and il add u as a friend!
katherinekk is offline  
27-01-2012, 09:22   #14
BenThere
Registered User
 
BenThere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by katherinekk View Post
just joined myfitnesspal due to ur post, its very handy and id say helps keep u motivated! im struggling with motivation after i lost weight very easily earlier in january and now am sturggling to keep up ( lost 1 whole stone in ten days!!!) pm me and il add u as a friend!
I find it incredibly motivating because it allows you to track your calories in real time and you are in no doubt about it. Without some sort of tracking app like this I'd always "forget" how many calories I'd had so far that day or under estimate both of which undermine my objective.

Not into the whole tracking friends thing though so please don't take it personally that I won't be connecting with you, I won't be connecting with anyone!! Not my scene. Sorry.

Ben
BenThere is online now  
27-01-2012, 10:04   #15
Stench Blossoms
I don't actually smell
 
Stench Blossoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Never Never Land
Posts: 8,328
BenThere - Are you using a HRM to get your calories from exercise or using MFP estimates?

The estimates are WAY off. Gave me 450 calories for a 30min run whereas my HRM gave me 300 ish.

Last edited by Stench Blossoms; 27-01-2012 at 10:06.
Stench Blossoms is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet