Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Turning cold with Frost/ Ice and some Snow (Thursday night/ Friday/ Saturday)

• 08-12-2011 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Winds will continue to be strong tonight particularly in the northeast.

As the evening progresses it will turn notably colder from the northwest with temperatures tumbling to 0-3c overnight.

Most notably dew points will turn lower and remain at 0c or below from around 6pm this evening.

Wintry showers will affect the north and west increasingly turning to snow inland of the coast and on hills.

Towards dawn a organised areas of precipitation will push into the north associated with a shortwave type feature illustrated here to our northwest.

11120900_0806.gif

This has the potential to bring more organised snow showers to the northern half of the country towards from early morning to early afternoon.

It is likely some accumulations will take place especially inland and over 100m.

We will use this thread to chat about the impending short cold snap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

No good at reading these charts, no matter how detailed.
    If this materialises, will the showers affect the North, NW, or more countrywide? Or is it too soon to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The temperature has actually risen again here after consistently dropping all morning, back up to 7.4C again having been at 6.2C an hour ago. Dew point continuing to drop though with RH at only 69%, currently at 2C so it should go below zero at some stage this evening assuming humidity doesn't rise too much

A few squally hail showers but mostly dry so far

Won't be online again until at least 7pm so hopefully things will start to change by then!

Edit: Again just as I post something happens! Very heavy shower of sleet and hail just there, first proper wintry shower and dew point down to 1.2C, not too far to go now!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

I take it this dew point is somehow related to the chance of snow, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Sneachta in Scotland :)

184371.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

HEAVY RAIN HAIL SHOWER HERE IN N.DUBLIN!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Temp 5.0 Dewpoint 2.0 Just getting very windy now again with heavy hail and sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

dermiek wrote: »
    I take it this dew point is somehow related to the chance of snow, yes?

I think the dew point has to be at 0C or below for snow, but there's other factors involved... there always is! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

cant see where the snow is coming from myself to be honest.

think hailstones will be as wintry as it gets

6c here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

pauldry wrote: »
    cant see where the snow is coming from myself to be honest.

think hailstones will be as wintry as it gets

6c here

met eireann has no warning out either even for the very north of the country.

what are they not picking up that Weathercheck and MT are?

It was snowing here a while ago :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

really. do you live on top of mount errigal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

am back here after a long time busy with studies.big potential of snow later during the afternoon that low which past us in the north is draging the cold air behind it even the shower could b widespread as the winds will b strong and also the shower wont lose much intensity as it always do,but this time the wind is going to help it,sure its will b am interesting evening.but sorry for the southeast dont think theres will be any snow.be precautious on the roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

YanSno wrote: »
    am back here after a long time busy with studies.

YanSno formerly known as ...?

search Yansnow on boards.ie i was a contributer before

Ok:) Just wondering since it was your first post.

Yellow warning out for ice in Northern Ireland for Friday

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html?from=rss&sn=4E5F3D3C-D29A-7265-8435-1D8A045AAB26_3_NI

pauldry wrote: »
    really. do you live on top of mount errigal ?

lol no, SW Donegal, there was snow flakes for a brief period but then it was replaced by sleet.

WolfeIRE wrote: »

At the expense of the snow warning I see :(

changed my username.i have been busy wid my studies.ur defo geting some snow tonight in clare.a more organised feature will cross the country in the event into fri morning northern half of the country most as risk

YanSno wrote: »
    changed my username.i have been busy wid my studies.ur defo geting some snow tonight in clare.a more organised feature will cross the country in the event into fri morning northern half of the country most as risk

No prob Yan. No need to explain. Just thought I might know you from an older username. Welcome back either way.

Not sure about Clare seeing much snow. I agree that showers will be widespread up and down the west coast and in Ulster but not sure the snow will fall below 250 metres or so here. Lower level snowfall more likely in Ulster alright.

Would love if I was wrong. Only saw one flake here last winter. The cat ate it before I got a chance to take a picture even.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

showers turning wintery here in mayo. Some yet snow, sleet mixed in with rain. Trying to look across to conemarra to look at mountains, but they are in the murk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Only saw one flake here last winter. The cat ate it before I got a chance to take a picture even.

Really , you had no snow in your area last year. Thought everywhere got snow last year. What about the year before that did you have snow?

• Advertisement

you never know u might see more snow tonight than u saw last winter.temp and due point will drop quite quickly in the next hour or 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

je55ie wrote: »
    Really , you had no snow in your area last year. Thought everywhere got snow last year. What about the year before that did you have snow?

I think Clare was about the only county that didn't get snow last year - was talking to someone who lives in Ennis yesterday and he was saying that they got no snow there last year.

je55ie wrote: »

No Jessie. I am 450ft above sea level but in the easterly setup it was a case of hit and miss. There was snowfall to may north, west, east and south. Very disappointing. We got a heavy snowfall in January 2010. Nothing since then.

I am on the leeside of a mountain about 11 miles from the coast. We have had plenty of snowfalls in the past but the last two years almost have been disappointing. Blustery wintry showers in a NW setup has often brought snow to these parts through the years but it is a setup I am more accustomed to seeing in February or even March. I think the maritime influence might keep temperatures just that bit too high tonight for us to see any snow in this part of Clare

DEC 3 2010
    Europe_2_01.2010336.terra.250m.jpg

Temp has dropped from 6c to 3.9c in the space of 15 minutes here. A heavy shower passing through. Can anyone explain the sudden temp drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Temp has dropped from 6c to 3.9c in the space of 15 minutes here. A heavy shower passing through. Can anyone explain the sudden temp drop?

Sure, its got colder :p

/gets coat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

COld front has passed over! :)

BRrrrrrr!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

M4 DP is down to 1.7 now. Getting there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

No Jessie. I am 450ft above sea level but in the easterly setup it was a case of hit and miss. There was snowfall to may north, west, east and south. Very disappointing. We got a heavy snowfall in January 2010. Nothing since then.

I was so lucky to get snow last year so looking at that picture :) ... lets hope we are all lucky in Jan-Mar this year to get some snow

I thought it might have something to do with the shower as opposed to the cold front.

tntn - Make sure it's a warm one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I really hope we get snow this christmas. So that all the flights will be cancelled, the sport called off, the footpaths and roads too treacherous to leave the house and life in general being made a living misery. Bring it on :rolleyes:

Advertisement