Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning cold with Frost/ Ice and some Snow (Thursday night/ Friday/ Saturday)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

I really hope we get snow this christmas. So that all the flights will be cancelled, the sport called off, the footpaths and roads too treacherous to leave the house and life in general being made a living misery. Bring it on :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    I thought it might have something to do with the shower as opposed to the cold front.

tntn - Make sure it's a warm one :)

Evaporative cooling maybe?
    The melting snowflakes/evaporating water need energy to do so and take it from the surrounding air which in turn cools the air around it and allows snow to penetrate lower and lower into the atmosphere as it continues to cool the air around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I really hope we get snow this christmas. So that all the flights will be cancelled, the sport called off, the footpaths and roads too treacherous to leave the house and life in general being made a living misery. Bring it on :rolleyes:

Go. Away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Thanks Trogdor. After the shower passed it jumped straight back up to 5.7.

Another showers has just came in and it has dropped to 3.8C

Either that or the batters are going in the weather station:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

BBC weather said just hill snow for NI tonight, there goes any hope of the white stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Would love if I was wrong. Only saw one flake here last winter. The cat ate it before I got a chance to take a picture even.

Hiya Wolfe, fellow Clare snowshield dweller *waves*
    Better not flippin snow tonight mind, I've to get to work in Ballinasloe at the sparrowfart in the morning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

A word of warning Brianderunner, you're in snow bunny territory here, and though they may look cute..

They bite!

Hiya Wolfe, fellow Clare snowshield dweller *waves*
    Better not flippin snow tonight mind, I've to get to work in Ballinasloe at the sparrowfart in the morning...
    Hi Chicken Run. Do let us know if you get those snow headaches :)

I still cannot see much snowfall over the next 2-3 days, with the exception of high ground in Ulster and north Connacht. I maintain the best chance of low level snow will be next Tue/Wed in west Munster, Connacht and west Ulster.

Ultimately, we will remain stuck in this mild,cold,mild,cold setp in the run up to Christmas with the south and southeast fairing poorest regarding potential snowfall

08 December 2011 16:25

Today Staying very windy and gusty this evening especially in the west and north, with further squally showers which will be heavy at times. Temperatures will start to drop and it will become cold.
    Tonight

Winds will gradually moderate tonight and many places will become dry with clear periods. However showers will continue in western and northern parts and some will be wintry on higher ground in the northwest. Indeed some of the showers may penetrate further inland to parts of the midlands and north Leinster. Cold with lowest temperatures of 0 to 3 degrees with ground frost developing and the risk of some icy patches. hr.gif

Tomorrow

It will be a cold, bright day tomorrow Friday with some sunny spells. Further showers will affect western parts of Connacht and Ulster, and some will be wintry in particular on higher ground. It will be breezy during the morning but winds will moderate in the afternoon, with highest temperatures of 4 to 7 degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Everything has calmed down dramatically here in Donegal in the last half hour or so very little wind and no precipitation of any kind. I thought around now was predicted to be the worst period? Or has the front simply missed us?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Everything has calmed down dramatically here in Donegal in the last half hour or so very little wind and no precipitation of any kind. I thought around now was predicted to be the worst period? Or has the front simply missed us?

Around now is the worst period in scotland, The worst has passed in the north

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

major disappointment with the storm and associated snow

one big gust in malin. one tree down in sligo. one hailstone in leitrim

all gone now.

even the storms for next week arent as apolcalyptic as yday

bah humbug. noonan probably cut them in the budget though howlin obviously cut the winds:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Sigh...some people ask for waaaay too much out of the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

John.Icy wrote: »
    Sigh...some people ask for waaaay too much out of the weather.

I think that if you think that your in the wrong forum :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it has gotten fairly gusty here again.

i wasn't holding out much hope for snow despite the promising forecasts earlier in the week, blustery westerly to north westerly winds are not conducive(?) to low level snow fall(bar ulster) from what i've seen over the years.

if the jet stream would do the decent thing and allow these system to plunge southwards, we might be in business with some of these cold snaps that follow the systems..

on a more positive note, i think one of these storms should deliver for much of the country before this period of active weather is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Kilkennyweather.com its reporting light snow, 4.2C. Surely a mistake! DP - 0.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I think we will just about see the snowline to sea-level in any showers in the northern half of Ulster later tomorrow afternoon, with a mix further south. The snowline will rise fairly steeply to around 150 m through central Ireland, provided that any showers make it that far.

850 theta-w values of around 0-1 °C where sea level pressure is around 1000 hPa should make fairly certain that precipitation at sea level willl be predominantly snow. With pressure higher further south, the same value of theta-w will still mean that the snow line will rise, by about 200 m per 10 hPa rise.

850-1000 thickness at around 1290-1295 m is a little higher than the 1285 m max I would like, but evaporative cooling may just offset this enough.

184403.gif

The GFS lies in fairly close agreement, with the "Schneefallgrenze" (snow line) showing a similar pattern tomorrow afternoon.

184405.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

leahyl wrote: »
    I think Clare was about the only county that didn't get snow last year - was talking to someone who lives in Ennis yesterday and he was saying that they got no snow there last year.

Below was taken around Christmas Eve last year. Yes, Clare (and Waterford/South Tipp/Cork coastline) seem to be the only places that show green. Awful if you were a snowlover in those places :mad:
    507997main_ireland670-1210.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I think that if you think that your in the wrong forum :pac:
    :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

no chance of snow for most of us I'd say, that map of Europe showing snowlines looks depressingly bad just about everywhere throughout Europe, not just Ireland. There doesnt even seem to be much snow on the Alps or Eastern Europe which seems very odd. Snow looks confined to high ground even in scandinavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

That image of snow covered Ireland is great. Wicklow and Dublin really took a blast of snow! Hopefully everybody gets some this time around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Temperature has actually risen 2C here again, back up to 4.5C now, dew point was -0.9C now up to 1.5C. Not a hope of any snow here tonight by the looks of it

Back to mostly rain now after hail and graupel for the past 90 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

had a heavy snow shower for 5 min .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Gonzo wrote: »
    no chance of snow for most of us I'd say, that map of Europe showing snowlines looks depressingly bad just about everywhere throughout Europe, not just Ireland. There doesnt even seem to be much snow on the Alps or Eastern Europe which seems very odd. Snow looks confined to high ground even in scandinavia.

That chart only shows the fresh snowfall for the previous 6 hours, not the total snow cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Tv3 about to show the snow from last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Finally something resembling snow here, small and very wet flakes which is pretty much what we've had all week already but a start I suppose. Dew point back below 0C and temperature on the way down again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭arctictree

It's snowing here. +2.0c. Looks like a rogue shower from the radar. Also, I'm at 250M.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

arctictree wrote: »
    It's snowing here. +2.0c. Looks like a rogue shower from the radar. Also, I'm at 250M.

rogue alright, there's nothing there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

tis clear now.

Look at that band straddling down into the north channel.

Could give some interest for our northern folk.

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

Advertisement