Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-08-2011, 11:08   #1
Sponge Bob
Banned

Veradkar formally suspends 45 road projects

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...e-2842859.html

Some of these require no further planning, they are shovel ready. Apart from that it is no real surprise.

Quote:
In a statement to the Irish Independent, Mr Varadkar confirmed he had "instructed the NRA to rein in spending on planning and preparatory works".
He said: "Specifically, the NRA is taking all road projects to the end of their current stage of planning and will suspend them at that point.
"In my view, we should focus the limited resources we have on maintain existing infrastructure and proceeding with the small number of shovel-ready projects that we can afford to proceed with.
"I do not believe that it is appropriate to continue to spend millions of euro planning projects when we do not know if we can fund them.
List

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...d-2842853.html

N2 Slane bypass.
N2 Castleblayney to NI Border.
N3 North of Kells to Cavan.
N4 Mullingar to Longford Rooskey.
N4 Carrick-on-Shannon to Dromod.
N4 Collooney to Castlebaldwin.
N5 Westport to N26 at Bohola.
M8 Dunkettle interchange upgrade.
M11 Enniscorthy to Gorey.
N11/N25 Oilgate to Rosslare Harbour.
N14 Letterkenny to Lifford.
N15 Ballybofey/Stranorlar bypass.
N15 Sligo to Bundoran.
N15 Lifford to Ballybofey/Stanorlar.
N17 Collooney to Tobercurry.
N17 Tobercurry bypass.
N17 Knock to Tobercurry.
N17 Tuam to Claremorris.
N21 Adare to Abbeyfeale.
N21 Adare bypass.
N22 Farranfore to Killarney.
N22 Ballyvourney to Macroom.
N22 Cork North Ring Road.
N24 Pallasgreen to Bansha.
N24 Ballysimon to Pallasgreen.
N25 New Ross bypass.
N25 Dungarvan bypass.
N25 Carrigtwohill to Midleton.
N25 Cork Southern Ring road upgrade.
N25 Waterford to Glenmore
N26 Ballina/Bohola.
N30 Clonroche to New Ross.
NATIONAL SECONDARY ROADS
N52 Kilbeggan to Tullamore.
N52 Ardee bypass.
N56 Dungloe to Glenties.
N56 Mountcharles to Inver.
N59 Clifden to Oughterard.
N59 Moycullen bypass.
N59 Westport to Mulranny.
N62 Thurles bypass.
N69 Listowel bypass.
N71 Kenmare bypass.
N81 Tallaght bypass to Hollywood Cross.
N86 Tralee to Dingle.
N87 Ballyconnell inner relief road.
Advertisement
09-08-2011, 11:37   #2
dubhthach

Talking about it on RnaG at the moment, just tuned in sounds like Pearse Doherty is on the phone.
09-08-2011, 11:38   #3
veryangryman

Very few of these that are badly needed (maybe Slane but even then you can make argument on M1-N33-N2 for inter city traffic)

I guess the dream of N61 Athlone-Roscommon being upgraded to primary is about as useless as that yellow lemon shaped rock over there.

Any of these old roads accident blackspots? I dont see too many. Maybe this shelving is not THAT bad an idea (though of course i like a good road)
09-08-2011, 11:53   #4
dubhthach

No wonder "Phiarais" is so animated. I see they've cancelled the new bridge over the River Finn to connect with the proposed A5 in Northern Ireland.

http://www.donegalcoco.ie/NR/rdonlyr...7751/0/N14.pdf

Perhaps we will hear a statement about the A5 from Leo next?

The N14 Lifford/Letterkenny is a 19km Dual carriageway which would also obviously hook into proposed A5
http://www.donegalcoco.ie/services/r...amstrabane.htm

Map of N15 scheme here (likewise hooks into A5): N15 Lifford - Stranorlar - Ballybofey
http://www.donegalcoco.ie/NR/rdonlyr...hemeLayout.pdf
http://www.donegalcoco.ie/services/r...ballybofey.htm

They weren't long getting Pat The Cope on after Pearse.
09-08-2011, 12:18   #5
D.L.R.

Good. The era of building giant roads for imagined settlements in the middle of nowhere is finally at an end, and the flagrant abuse of the national exchequer that entailed.

Hopefully essential projects (where people actually live) can be accomodated in due course.

Furthermore, lets hope the likes of the Tralee Bypass is the last time we see the country held to ransom by independent TDs with too much power and not enough sense.
Advertisement
09-08-2011, 12:29   #6
munchkin_utd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubhthach View Post
No wonder "Phiarais" is so animated. I see they've cancelled the new bridge over the River Finn to connect with the proposed A5 in Northern Ireland.

http://www.donegalcoco.ie/NR/rdonlyr...7751/0/N14.pdf

Perhaps we will hear a statement about the A5 from Leo next?
[/URL]
probably not.
Its a project that is not a department of transport funding matter.

Dept of the taoiseach is the responsible dept if I remember rightly.
09-08-2011, 12:30   #7
Sponge Bob
Banned

The N14/N15 to A5 Link is NOT on the list the Indo got. Leo obviously has to cancel his own roads first before he goes near the A5 project. The N5 Ballaghadereen Bypass mysteriously survived as well.
09-08-2011, 12:47   #8
dubhthach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge Bob View Post
The N14/N15 to A5 Link is NOT on the list the Indo got.
Indeed I noticed that myself but both Pearse and Pat "the Cope" mentioned the Finn Bridge been cancelled in the interview I was listening to earlier -- either that or I really need to listen to more Donegal speakers more often.
09-08-2011, 12:51   #9
Tabnabs

N81 Tallaght bypass to Hollywood Cross.

Bugger, that's one I hoped would get through, it can be a very heavily congested and the section after Tallaght is a nightmare.
Advertisement
09-08-2011, 13:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.L.R. View Post
Good. The era of building giant roads for imagined settlements in the middle of nowhere is finally at an end, and the flagrant abuse of the national exchequer that entailed.

Hopefully essential projects (where people actually live) can be accomodated in due course.

Furthermore, lets hope the likes of the Tralee Bypass is the last time we see the country held to ransom by independent TDs with too much power and not enough sense.
While I agree with the last paragraph, the rest is just pure anti-road / anti-car nonsense! In the whole scheme of things, the highest amount of money spent on roads for any one year was €2bn - pittance compared to Health (€20bn approx at peak) and Social Welfare (€20bn approx at peak) as well as other big spending departments such as education. The €2bn (peak) for roads included Road Building, Maintenance, Street Lighting, Footpaths, Traffic Calming and Safety Measures, Council Grants etc. I think motorway spending itself peaked at around €1bn!

IMO, the motorway system is great - got my driving test last January and love driving the motorways and the smaller country roads! We need the M11 A to R, N7 NLX, M18 and M20 including CNRR section.

Regards!
Thanks from:
09-08-2011, 13:57   #11
munchkin_utd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish and Proud View Post
..... In the whole scheme of things, the highest amount of money spent on roads for any one year was €2bn - pittance compared to Health (€20bn approx at peak) and Social Welfare (€20bn approx at peak) as well as other big spending departments such as education.
yup. 100%

Childrens allowance alone is 2.5 BILLION a year for example.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...280400882.html

Free travel is 600 million a year IIRC, which would nearly on its own build the M20.

Ireland is not poor because of building a few roads and other capital schemes.

Its running a chronic defecit by spending too much in day to day expenses without taking in enough cash to pay for them.
Thanks from:
09-08-2011, 14:02   #12
Bards

We should be closing rural hospitals in sparsley populated towns and the money saved to build better/faster roads to reduce the time it takes to get to a major Hospital which will be better staffed etc. through economies of Scale.
09-08-2011, 14:06   #13
imangry29

So presumably all the staff within the NRA whose job it was to progress these schemes will be let go? What will we be paying them to do now? And all the people in our Local Authority Roads Design Offices? If these projects were being managed privately, the announcement would be coupled with significant redundancies. God bless Croke Park eh? I would be more impressed if Leo announced that all these local design offices were to be amalgamated into (perhaps) 2 or 3 strong design offices (e.g. Dublin, Cork, Galway could easily cover the country). With so few projects, it could be entirely centralised to Dublin. That's where the real saving lie, current expenditure.

Also, the N22 Ballyvourney-Macroom scheme is through all stages of planning. Application and EIS are approved by An Bord Pleanala, CPO is approved by An Bord Pleanala. So really Leo is axing everything which hasn't started
09-08-2011, 14:19   #14
Sponge Bob
Banned

The NRA staff who worked on these frequently expensive and vapourificatious projects are to be transferred ( on a large scale) to the new National Water Authority which will be set up formally in the Autumn.

Course if they refuse to go quietly per the Croke Park terms they will then be made redundant.
09-08-2011, 14:54   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bards View Post
We should be closing rural hospitals in sparsley populated towns and the money saved to build better/faster roads to reduce the time it takes to get to a major Hospital which will be better staffed etc. through economies of Scale.
Try telling that to the people of Rockchapel (for instance) who are already over threequaters of an hour* from Mallow A&E and will be at least another 20 minutes getting to CUH (the other side of Cork city) when Mallow closes just to sit on a trolley in a corridor for hours (amid scum and drunks), and tieing up the Ambulance Crew who cant be released until the patient is accepted.

* more actually as it takes the Ambulance 20 minutes to get there from base in the first place)
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion