Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-08-2011, 12:57   #1
Nuri Sahin

Send a message via Skype™ to Nuri Sahin
Golf - WGC Bridgestone Invitational and Reno Tahoe Open

WGC -

Considering a 5th bet or having one on the Reno Tahoe Open where there's some value no doubt, but the four I have already picked are -

Van Pelt @ 40/1
Garcia @ 40/1
Haas @ 55/1
Jacobsen @ 66/

Can't take Stricker @ 16/1 nor Mahan @ 25/1 despite his form around Firestone, the last top 10 of his was back in early May! Cink @ 60/1 was very tempting, and while he was poor in Ireland last week, Clarke on a course he has won on before @ 100/1 I might throw a couple of euro on before Thursday. Gonna stick with two of my consistent bets in Garcia and Jacobsen.
Advertisement
02-08-2011, 13:57   #2
Jayo11780

yup....
i'll have Bill Haas @ 55/1
also fancy Gary Woodland at 50's...
02-08-2011, 15:30   #3
the groutch

actually tempted to back Tiger for the first time ever, e/w of course
02-08-2011, 15:39   #4
The_Kew_Tour

I was going to wait till next week but after Stallings giving me my best win in while I just had to have bet for this week.

WGC
Stricker 18/1
Watney 25/1

Reno
Scott Piercy 55/1
Derek Lamely 400/1 bet365..think this is massive price not saying he going win but he better then few 150/1 or so players in field.

Not backing Stallings for first time in 2 or so months
02-08-2011, 18:17   #5
albert kidd

fowler@46
moore@100
hanson@100
mannasero@150
sabbatini@150
wilson@210..hes 250 now..i think his price is huge and way overpriced.
larrazabal@400.
big ernie@160..crazy price
atwal@860
GL to all.

Last edited by albert kidd; 04-08-2011 at 11:40. Reason: added to my selections.
Advertisement
03-08-2011, 11:57   #6
wiger toods

woods, woods, woods! e5 O/R and e2 to be first round leader
Garrigus and hunter hass in reno!
03-08-2011, 17:11   #7
premierstone

McIllroy, Scott, YE Yang, Clarke and Laird for me this week, have given up on Garcia after backing him for the last three months so dont be suprised to see him bolt in
03-08-2011, 20:08   #8
Fursttimer

Only two europeans have ever won at Firestone.

Jason Day 40/1 Nick Watney 26/1 & Zach Johnson 55/1 for me this week

Best of luck
03-08-2011, 20:32   #9
Degag

Have gone with McDowell @70s and Wilson @150s.
Advertisement
03-08-2011, 21:50   #10
jive

Win
Backed Furyk @ 150.0

Top 5
Backed Mahan @ 8.0
Backed Vo Ban Pelt @ 9.8
Layed McIlroy @ 4.6
Layed Woods @ 5.7

I can't see Woods doing anything this weekend after seeing him limp of the course at the last tournament. He's been good at Firestone over the years yes but these are completely different circumstances and he is probably hoping to just put in a half decent performance ahead of next week. He came 78/80 last year and has just 7 top 10s in his last 22 events (not good by Woods' standards). Considering his injuries you have to wonder how much practice he's been able to put in and I think this week may be a warm up to ensure he'll be able to compete at the major next week.

McIlroy seems distracted by things other than golf at the minute and while it wouldn't surprise me to see him in the top5 I don't think he should be that price by any means. He seems very focused on majors and I suspect he has one eye on next week. I can see him finishing between 10-20 and just putting in an ok/solid warm up type performance (or so I hope ).

Mahan and Bo Van Pelt have been consistent all year so it wouldn't surprise me to see them competing at the top of the leaderboard. Mahan has a good record on this course finishing top 5 in '09 and winning it on '10. BVP came Top5 last year (3rd?) and has probably been the most consistent player on the tour this year.

Furyk has a good record around this course and at that price why not. I don't expect him to win it or anything like that but he does look greatly overpriced even if he isn't too hot at the minute. Class is permanent, form is fickle!
03-08-2011, 22:07   #11
albert kidd

jive i honestly dont know what to make of tiger here..i backed him three times on his return (took him at 35 on the final day at the masters)..bar the masters final round surge hes been pretty disappointing..im mad to see him return to somewhat of his old form because the man was savage to watch controlling tournys at his will.

thing is he could be a great back to lay..two birdies and hes single digits i reckon..ive went to back him a few times and pulled back since monday..

i think the break will have done him good..with ditching the caddie it all looks like a clean fresh start for him..once his head is finally right..its wheelbarrow time in following tiger to the big bucks once again.
03-08-2011, 22:13   #12
jive

I agree. I think McIlroy (while a very good and consistent player) is being blown out of proportion just because there is nobody dominating the sport and people think golf needs that (and it probably does to some extent). Woods is untouchable on his day and I think that he will dominate again once he's fit and able. I don't think he's good enough to just turn up and place in the top 5 in this day and age. All the other players have been playing all year and practicing consistently. I think it will take Woods a few tournaments to get back in the swing of things. I can't see him just turning up this week with a lack of practice (and probably niggling injury) and beat the worlds top players.

I just don't think he should be as short as he is. Woods could turn up and blow them all away but he hasn't done that in 2 years and I see no reason why after being injured that he will do it this weekend!

I agree about him being a good back to lay. The risk there is will he turn up at all though, he could drop a few in the front 9 and just fade into obscurity. I'm taking the risk that he won't put in a big performance and at that price I think it's worth taking regardless of how good he's been on this course over the years - just because I think these are vastly different circumstances to every other year with the exception of last year where he did really bad
03-08-2011, 22:23   #13
albert kidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jive View Post
I agree. I think McIlroy (while a very good and consistent player) is being blown out of proportion just because there is nobody dominating the sport and people think golf needs that (and it probably does to some extent). Woods is untouchable on his day and I think that he will dominate again once he's fit and able. I don't think he's good enough to just turn up and place in the top 5 in this day and age. All the other players have been playing all year and practicing consistently. I think it will take Woods a few tournaments to get back in the swing of things. I can't see him just turning up this week with a lack of practice (and probably niggling injury) and beat the worlds top players.

I just don't think he should be as short as he is. Woods could turn up and blow them all away but he hasn't done that in 2 years and I see no reason why after being injured that he will do it this weekend!

I agree about him being a good back to lay. The risk there is will he turn up at all though, he could drop a few in the front 9 and just fade into obscurity. I'm taking the risk that he won't put in a big performance and at that price I think it's worth taking regardless of how good he's been on this course over the years - just because I think these are vastly different circumstances to every other year with the exception of last year where he did really bad
rorys prices are a joke imo..and it looks like its all going to his head already..pity because he has some serious talent if he could ditch the circus around him and concentrate on his golf..

pretty fair statement.
03-08-2011, 22:32   #14
jive

Cue a McIlroy/Woods 1/2!

Anyway I'll have my fingers crossed cause I can speculate all I want but you never know I put some good thought into my selections anyway so hopefully it'll pay off.

Good luck
03-08-2011, 22:38   #15
albert kidd

same to you jive..good luck.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size