Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q SAT

Options
  • 29-07-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Having seen the ad I'm intrigued to know how they can promise Irish and U.K channels from hylas 1 satellite.
    http://qsat.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

Me to, ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 siocs

Minimum contract 24 months???? Thats a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

elsie1b wrote: »
    Having seen the ad I'm intrigued to know how they can promise Irish and U.K channels from hylas 1 satellite.

Am more interested in how they plan a Phone service over the satellite link...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

elsie1b wrote: »

I just love the propaganda !

Whilst the price of the box is €49.50 (half the price of a Saorview box according to the propaganda) they neglect to mention that you will still have to pay €17.50 A MONTH for channels that are actually FREE to AIR.

And even then it look like they may not have a FULL list of channels.

The hard sell for the less knowledgable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

STB wrote: »
    I just love the propaganda !

Whilst the price of the box is €49.50 (half the price of a Saorview box according to the propaganda) they neglect to mention that you will still have to pay €17.50 A MONTH for channels that are actually FREE to AIR.

And even then it look like they may not have a FULL list of channels.

The hard sell for the less knowledgable!

You also missed the €99 installation cost as well. The Tv service is an "addon" to their broadband service. So now i make it €24.50 + €17.50 for the minimum package...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭AstralTV

'can you see the sky? say hello to qsat'

as you can see the sky from most locations, its still no guarantee of line of sight,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

2re4655.jpg

I see they are referring to selected digital TV and radio channels. Could this be an IPTV service?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭4ndroid

Read the t's & c's......torrents and peer to peer not compatible and will result in disconnection. Daily interest charged on late payments. Some other good ones in there too. Coverage wise it sounds good but if other options are available then better speeds can be found for better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭PressTheButton

AstralTV wrote: »
    'can you see the sky? say hello to qsat'

as you can see the sky from most locations, its still no guarantee of line of sight,

Elevation? :confused:

quinnietv.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Possibly an IPTV service rather than encrypted but since Niall Quinn lives in England is he missing out on potential income from fellow expats for the Irish channels?

• Advertisement

@RLogue Dont know if you have been keeping up with the reception reports from UK of Saorsat on 9E, but it certainly seems like an free avenue for you to explore for a once off outlay.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

rlogue wrote:
    Possibly an IPTV service rather than encrypted but since Niall Quinn lives in England is he missing out on potential income from fellow expats for the Irish channels?
    He wouldn't be able to market the Irish channels to people in UK though:confused:

Saorsat might work if I had a 2.5 m dish and a Ka LNB but as soon as the French spots are active I'd get nothing.

@byte why be confused? There is an opportunity for some one out there if the rights issue could be resolved. The only confusion lies at Montrose where no one in RTE seems to appreciate there might actually be a demand for their channels here - hence the grey market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭AstralTV

Elevation? :confused:

quinnietv.jpg

nice one

byte

rlogue wrote: »
    Saorsat might work if I had a 2.5 m dish and a Ka LNB but as soon as the French spots are active I'd get nothing.

@byte why be confused? There is an opportunity for some one out there if the rights issue could be resolved. The only confusion lies at Montrose where no one in RTE seems to appreciate there might actually be a demand for their channels here - hence the grey market
    Yes, and the likelyhood of the main RTE channels having broadcasting rights in Britain.. Nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

byte wrote: »
    Yes, and the likelyhood of the main RTE channels having broadcasting rights in Britain.. Nil.

Why isn't it reciprocal? I am thinking about the fact the BBC, for example, allow their channels to be viewed here In Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

pat13wx wrote: »
    Why isn't it reciprocal? I am thinking about the fact the BBC, for example, allow their channels to be viewed here In Ireland.

The cost of programme rights.

The BBC buy programming for 60 million+ people and pay producers/distributors based on that potential audience. Irish channels pay based on a population of 4.5 million.
    Mr. Conor Hayes: ...
    The BBC, ITV and a number of other companies have put their services on one of the wideband Astra satellites. The services are broadcast unencrypted, or “in the clear” as we call it. The trouble with those wideband satellites is that they have a very big footprint. If RTE were to be put up on a wideband satellite, its services would be in the clear to the UK, France, Holland and many other countries. One might ask why that should not be done, to which I would respond that we do not have the resources to purchase the rights to enable us to broadcast into those countries. We buy programming that allows us to broadcast to 4.5 million people. We do not have the money to broadcast to 100 million people. Therefore, the option taken by the BBC when Freesat was launched is not available to us.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/MAJ/2010/07/14/00003.asp

The Cush wrote: »
    The cost of programme rights.

The BBC buy programming for 60 million+ people and pay producers/distributors based on that potential audience. Irish channels pay based on a population of 4.5 million.

Thanks for that. I had always assumed it was a mutually exclusive agreement between Ireland and the UK, but clearly not.

What byte doesnt mention is that there has been legislation in place for some time now authorising RTE to operate an overseas satellite TV service. The rights DO exist for a lot of RTE's home produced programming otherwise RTE would not be able to stream them worldwide on the RTE player.

RTE's primary responsibilities are rolling out DTT and ensuring suitable free to air coverage to the people of the Island of Ireland. This has been considerably expensive even with the TV licence revenue generated from [eople who actually reside here.

Whilst the idead of having a service for the diaspora is all very nice on paper, the real paper that would be needed to provide such a service is not available. We do not have the luxury of the €4bn that the BBC collect in licence fee revenue and so as a country have to cut our cloth to its measure.

Saorsat should be an alternative for people who reside in the UK if the reception reports are to be believed (1.2m).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Are they looking at providing a satelite broadband service as well?

Are they looking at providing a satelite broadband service as well?

Who, RTE? If the were that would be interesting.

Q-Sat does provide a BB service, it is their main function....but their download monthly allowance/limit is a meagre 2 gigs regardless of which package you chose. Not good by any stretch.

There is an on going discussion here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056342136

byte

rlogue wrote: »
    What byte doesnt mention is that there has been legislation in place for some time now authorising RTE to operate an overseas satellite TV service. The rights DO exist for a lot of RTE's home produced programming otherwise RTE would not be able to stream them worldwide on the RTE player.
    I'm aware of that alright, but you were on about the main TV channels, not a dedicated expat service.

Anyway, I imagine that RTE think that the RTE Player being available overseas for homegrown content will cover their asses for now.

@byte it exactly covers their asses right now but it's a bit like going out into a snowstorm clad only in a loincloth. @STB don't fool yourself over Soarsat - have there been verified reception reports in London? The furtherest I've read is Cardiff. When the French spots go active there's no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

"can you see the sky" -

well im inside and its getting dark...so no....does that mean then i should just forget it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

17.50 for channels that i can get free with a dish installed?.... er someone should tell Niall that the days of people paying for free tv are numbered...

17.50 for channels that i can get free with a dish installed?.... er someone should tell Niall that the days of people paying for free tv are numbered...

That is a good point. However, for those who do not already have a dish or any way of receiving the free-sat channels it would be an option. Mind you, being charged a monthly price is unfair for what are essentially free channels. A one-off price would be more understandable, which is what most providers of free to air TV are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's more than unfair. Especially when there is a BB sub. It's verging on dishonest.

byte

What about cableco's who, you could argue charge for BB, and also charge for what includes FTA channels too? Sky do the same in the UK, though not here... yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Cable companies provide payTV channels also even channels FTA on Satellite or Aerial are costing the cable company money out of their own spectrum and head end and they have to pay Royalty/Rights for most FTA channels on Cable. Sky subs are always including Pay TV.

Is there any evidence that Qsat provides even one Pay Channel on their Sub?
    Qsat have no TV headend or TV sprectrum. It's entirely Broadcast TV carried by others. If they are charging a TV sub they are legally obliged to pay Royalties to the FTA channels.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement