Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite chick flick/Disney/tear jerk-er movie??

Options
  • 20-07-2011 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Anybody have any personal favorites for when they're curled up on the couch?

I love Homeward Bound-makes me bawl like a baby everytime! And I love 50 First Dates for when I wanna see something simple, nice and easy to watch :)

What do you guys like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Evonatron

For the first time I watched Marley and Me last week,and I had a few tears its such a good film!

Sex and the City the first one always gets me at the wedding scene, other than that its an easy watch whilst doing the ironing or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,592 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Not a chick Flick, but I absolutely love "The Princess Bride"-
    a happily ever after story with a difference and enough humour to suit everyone's tastes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

The Lion King. Best movie EVER :)

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

The Notebook = one of the best love stories ever. Gets me every time. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Crouching tiger is something of a tear jerker for me

Don't really have any chick flick favourites at all...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

Thelma and Louise, The Color Purple and Steel Magnolias are some of my favorites. Also Somewhere in Time.

As far as Disney, I loved Mulan, Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music, Wall-E, Up, The Incredibles... the list goes on and on.

And ok ok, I will admit it, I also love the Twilight movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

msthe80s wrote: »
    Not a chick Flick, but I absolutely love "The Princess Bride"-
    a happily ever after story with a difference and enough humour to suit everyone's tastes:)

This is my favourite film ever!

Disney-wise, another vote for The Lion King, although I love most of them really. I'm not usually one for chick-flicks but did bawl my eyes out at The Notebook. And I have to admit to being a Pretty Woman fan, embarassing and all as that is! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

bluewolf wrote: »
    Crouching tiger is something of a tear jerker for me

Don't really have any chick flick favourites at all...

I woke up during the credits.

Toy Story 3 made me cry. [What is happenning to me?]

Midnight Cowboy

Io non ho paura" -cry so much cant even see the credits

Same for Cinema Paradiso

Titanic. I think its a crap movie but someone dear and lost [died] to me was in it and everytime the ship goes down the hurt comes back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Serendipity and Beauty and Beast :D:D

Just wanted to add two of my favorite movies - House of Flying Daggers and The Remains of the Day. They're most definitely tear jerkers for me at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

My OH and I watch a lo-ot of films.

One day I decided to introduce him to The Hairdresser's Husband, a French film I'd watched and loved in my yoot.

As the film concluded I started to cry. I cried for about 20 minutes and couldn't stop. It got to the point where I left the room and went to the bathroom to continue and he's seen me cry a gazillion times.

The film was heart-breaking and dealt with a theme I find truly difficult ... lost or wasted love.

What I found interesting is the visceral reaction I had to the film the second time I watched it. Before I just thought it was a beautiful film, the second time I had an idea of what the loss meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Favourite Disney movie has to be Lady and the Tramp!
    A Walk to Remember is my favourite chick flick though. Its a real tearjerker

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

There are very few films I would watch more than once.

I love The Princess Bride, but it doesn't make me cry. King Kong made me cry (animal cruelty...can't take it :pac:) but I wouldn't watch it again for that very reason.

Oh and I found the scene in The Road where
    the father takes back ALL the stuff from the man who stole from them
    just appalling. That REALLY upset me. But again. Not a viewing experience I ever want to repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

I don't really like chick flicks and very rarely cry at movies but I tend to get something in my eye when I watch The Lion King. I've been crying over Mufasa since I was 6 years old, I'm hardly going to stop now! :p
    Malari wrote:
    Oh and I found the scene in The Road where ...

I hated that part too. I found it pretty hard to watch but not as upsetting as certain other parts of that film. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

From childhood I can remember Who will Love my Children and The Champ, and another really old one called The Yearling,( pretty sure it had a bit where a kid's deer was killed), as movies that had me bawling.
    Bambi is a real Disney tearjerker.
    In more recent years Pearl Harbour, The Notebook and The Bucket List have brought a lump to my throat..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    The Notebook = one of the best love stories ever. Gets me every time. :)

Gonna get flack for this but I hate that movie, its so contrived and manipulative. "go out with me or I'll drop myself off this ferris wheel" thats not romantic, its psychotic.

I vote for the episode of Futurama where Fry's dog is waiting for him outside the pizza parlour, you'd want to have a heart of stone not to find that sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

73Cat wrote: »
    From childhood I can remember Who will Love my Children and The Champ, and another really old one called The Yearling,( pretty sure it had a bit where a kid's deer was killed), as movies that had me bawling.
    Bambi is a real Disney tearjerker.
    In more recent years Pearl Harbour, The Notebook and The Bucket List have brought a lump to my throat..

Only saw The Champ a few weeks ago and i cried like a baby. Such a good movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

The Lion King is getting another vote from me. One of the best Disney films there is. Along with Bambi, The Lady and the Tramp, and Dumbo.

Toy Story 3 made me very teary, as did The Notebook, and Pearl Harbour.

I love Four Weddings and a Funeral, the funeral bit in particular always brings a tear to my eye.

Also, the part in The Green Mile when
    the French prisoner is being electrocuted and it goes horribly wrong because of that pr*ck of a guard doesn't bother with the sponge. And when Mr. Bojangles is killed.

krudler wrote: »
    Gonna get flack for this but I hate that movie, its so contrived and manipulative. "go out with me or I'll drop myself off this ferris wheel" thats not romantic, its psychotic.

So true, but that stuff is shockingly common in movies. Cracked recently featured a nice list of examples. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Titanic gets me every time (the scene where the captain goes down with the ship, he kind of looks like my dad :( )

Toy story 3 also made me cry.

Stand by me and My girl always get me too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I like a good soppy film. A couple I keep going back to are While You Were Sleeping (brilliant comedic performance from Sandra Bullock) and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. There's something about the deconstruction of the relationship that's just heartbreaking. It's a good catalyst to think back on the early days of a relationship and why you got together in the first place.

A few Christmas films too but I'll leave them til closer the time ;)

I'm with krudler on Futurama - I get misty every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Anytime Steel Magnolias is on when I'm flipping channels I stop to watch it - my favorite chick flick of all time.

In college, my roommate and I used to watch The English Patient while eating brownie ice cream sundaes and dreaming about having a passionate affair with a mysterious foreigner who has an apartment in an ancient city with a lovely claw-foot tub big enough for two. :o

Any scene involving the sisters in The Color Purple makes me bawl like a baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

English patient is a three hour long perfume ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Haha, I never thought about it that way, but it's true!

I would kill for those leather jackets and that Cairo apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

Well!! What seems to come out regularly at some stage for all us girls is ''he's just not that into you'' oh the drama, the tears and the reality that yes ''he's just not that into us/me''

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Pretty Woman

Sleeping Beauty <3

Tear Jerker - Notebook and pretty much anything and everything i'm a saddo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

You dont have to be English, but you have to be patient....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I often wonder was the next thing Richard Gere bought her in Pretty Woman an STD test? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Mulan. In my opinion, one of the best Disney movies, right up there with The Lion King, and so few people have seen it!

My Girl. I've never watched it and not cried. :( Same with The Notebook.

Dirty Dancing never gets old, neither does Moulin Rouge.

• Advertisement

I love the music in Mulan. Oh, and Hercules, too.

Also, since Disney is now the distributor for The Nightmare Before Christmas, I'll throw that in, as it's also one of my favorites. It also has excellent music.

Add anything by Miyazaki to that list as well, for the same reason.

Advertisement