Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Sequels, Prequels, Remakes and Reboots

Options
  • 22-06-2011 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭

250 sequels, prequels, remakes and reboots from Hollywood over the next three years

http://www.imdb.com/list/WUNCarSomaM/?view=compact&sort=listorian:asc

but scrolling to the end actually number 250, I see a remake of a very good horror movie "The Woman In Black" so looking forward to that one among maybe 5-6 others

Other than that Hollywood is really scraping the bottom of the barrel at the moment when it comes to original ideas

some examples

Raging fckin Bull 2
    Untitled Drugstore Cowboy Sequel
    The Seven Samurai
    All Quiet on the Western Front
    The Thing

some movies shouldn't be revisited :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

IMDB isn't reliable though. Most of those films won't happen anytime soon, if at all. If someone so much as mentions the possibly of a sequel in an interview, IMDB adds it as being in development. They use it to sell their Pro subscription service.

But yeah, there's too many sequels being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Sequels, Prequels, Remakes and Reboots have been going on for 80/90 years Its only more noticeable nowerdays because of VHS and DVD of films being available when sound came in there was remakes when colour came in there was remakes the 30s and 40s was awash with sequels and reboots to various western, sci fi and horror films but because of no home entertainment people forgot about them and years later the film was remade heck John Wayne remade one of his old films a decade or so after the original.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That's a good point actually. I mean, Howard Hawks and John Wayne remade Rio Bravo twice. Hitchcock remade his own film The Man Who Knew Too Much as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I don't mind the idea of a sequel in principle, since ideally it's just an expansion of a story that already exists. I don't think this is a case of a lack of imagination in Hollywood, though. It just happens that we have a couple of genres now - the superhero genre in particular - that lend themselves very well to making series of films. Half of Hollywood films are so formulaic in any case that accusations of unoriginality at them for releasing sequels or remakes are pretty unfounded anyway.

A remake can be better than the original (Hitchcock's second The Man Who Knew Too Much), a sequel can be better than earlier films in the series (Toy Story 3), a reboot of a series can be better than the original (Nolan's Batman films), an adaptation can be better than its source material (The Godfather). It's not the story that's important - most stories have been told by now. It's the way that the story is told that's important: Shakespeare is probably the most famous writer in the English language, but most of his plays were adapted from earlier material.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ah, it's not the worst. If a Sequel, Prequel, Remake or Reboot is better or as good as the original, then it was worth making. If it isn't, it just highlights how great the first film was and also gives it some free exposure.

Today's generation probably won't care to see a 20+ year old film but if you remade it they might. And might seek out the original afterwards. Spreading the love is what it's all aboot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

what terrifies me is movies that arent even that old will eventually be remade, imagine them remaking/rebooting stuff like Speed, or The Matrix, or American Pie, I'll feel ancient!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Just saw the trailer for the remake of Footloose and Kenny Wormald is no Kevin Bacon and Dennis Quaid is a poor sub for John Lithgow. Really don't understand the need to remake films unless your really going to go down a different path with the subject matter or add some sort of twist. The Footloose remake just looks like they added in some hip-hop/street dancing to make it seem cool and new.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

krudler wrote: »
    what terrifies me is movies that arent even that old will eventually be remade, imagine them remaking/rebooting stuff like Speed, or The Matrix, or American Pie, I'll feel ancient!

I really hope this never gets rebooted/remade, fav film ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Today's generation probably won't care to see a 20+ year old film but if you remade it they might. And might seek out the original afterwards. Spreading the love is what it's all aboot!

Shame remakes usually come across as a cynical cash grab relying on name recognition rather than making a good film in and of itself. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

There's a lot of movies on that list that I'm looking forward to seeing! Such as:
    Dark Knight Rises
    Ghostbusters 3 (Provided Bill Murray stars)
    Zombieland 2
    28 Months Later
    There's also a lot that I think will never be made and are only rumours at the moment. When it comes to remakes I'm not that fussy because they never really tarnish the original and as for reboots I learned my lesson not to be so dismissive of them from "The Dark Knight". When I first heard they were rebooting The Joker i was disgusted because at the time I thought Jack Nicholson was the definitive Joker but I was proved wrong to say the least!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

krudler wrote: »
    Christ that's a scary thought actually.

I hope they never touch the matrix, never :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Has that time not passed with the rebooting of the Scream franchise albeit just calling it Scream 4?

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I hope they never touch the matrix, never :(

Well a 2nd stab at Matrix 3 wouldn't hurt :o

I really thought we weren't done with the matrix. I really thought we'd get at least 1 prequel...and if that did well, 1-2 more prequels.

There's a bit in the movie
    where the Architect tells Neo that he wasn't he first; there were 6 (?) other "Neos" before him? I thought; oh god - SIX PREQUELS!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Well a 2nd stab at Matrix 3 wouldn't hurt :o

I really thought we weren't done with the matrix. I really thought we'd get at least 1 prequel...and if that did well, 1-2 more prequels.

There's a bit in the movie
    where the Architect tells Neo that he wasn't he first; there were 6 (?) other "Neos" before him? I thought; oh god - SIX PREQUELS!

How come Neo could see in the real world with that yellow stuff? If you can provide an answer that makes sense it will improve that movie a lot for me.

Sorry, OP!
    How come Neo could see in the real world with that yellow stuff? If you can provide an answer that makes sense it will improve that movie a lot for me.
    You mean in
    Matrix 3 when he gets blinded, but he goes into Machine City to strike a deal with the robots? He's actually seeing things as Matrix code; and since it's so close to the source it's ultra bright/strong, it's gold and not regular-green Matrix. Either that or the 'city of light' Machine City is made with a different Matrix code.

Practically it's gold to let u know how important it is lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Sequel's I don't mind, depending on it's handling.

All too often you get movies of which are thrown a sequel purely to cash in on the original's success... I got that feeling with the likes of Hangover 2 - I mean, it's literally identical to the first with minor tweaks and less laughs, but yeah, apparantly comedy of the year or some garbage.

Reboots, same principle... I'm an adamant fan of the 80's "The Thing" (Even that is somewhat of a remake, itself) so I will be gravely upset if this upcoming remake doesn't do it justice and, given the track-record for the insurgence(sp) of remakes, I have little to no faith it'll be good to begin with.

Then you have dire stuff like Conan the Barbarian remake, already there are alarm bells and I don't need to link the trailer to remind myself how woeful it looks - Leave these classics alone!

I'd adore something like "The Thing" to be remade with most of it's original cast... I mean, think of that classic being redone with todays technology and maybe a bit of nip & tuck. Kurt Russel is more than capable, Keith David is still on the circuit and no doubt a lot of the others - Wouldn't matter that they're aged now as I'm sure it wouldn't hamper the enjoyment all that much - But then again you have folks who would be happier with a 'fresher' cast and a complete revamp.

*shrug*

All in all the reason Seq's/Preq's/Rem's/Reb's are percieved as generally negative is purely because they churn out SO DAMN MANY OF THEM that it puts the default perspective of them as negative because, let's face it, very few actually do their original work justice and too many just make a shambles of it.

Isn't the new Thing movie a prequel and not a reboot/remake?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Just saw the trailer for the reboot of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I've only seen the original about 3 months ago. Are they saying there was something wrong with it? Hollywood really must be scrapping the bottom of the barrell for ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Just saw the trailer for the reboot of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I've only seen the original about 3 months ago. Are they saying there was something wrong with it? Hollywood really must be scrapping the bottom of the barrell for ideas!

Nothing new there is a large group of people out there that won't watch foreign films or subtitles so the logical step is to remake them into english lanuage films.

The Swedish original wasn't that great IMO. I'm looking forward to Fincher's take on the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

The Swedish original wasn't that great IMO. I'm looking forward to Fincher's take on the book.

It wasn't bad though either. I just have not seen a remake of a foreign film to be made better in English. Plus the fact the trailer seems to have cast the roles on what they looked like in the swedish version doesn't leave my expectations too high.

• Advertisement

It wasn't bad though either. I just have not seen a remake of a foreign film to be made better in English. Plus the fact the trailer seems to have cast the roles on what they looked like in the swedish version doesn't leave my expectations too high.
    Well you can come back here in 6 months and tell us that you now have.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

humanji wrote: »
    Isn't the new Thing movie a prequel and not a reboot/remake?

Apparently it's about the Norweigen guys, one of whom you see at the start of The 80s Thing chasing a dog.
    They will all die

• Registered Users Posts: 85,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/08/08/dirty-dancing-remake-kenny-ortega/

Kenny Ortega has signed on to direct a big-screen remake of the 1987 hit Dirty Dancing

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Nearly three years ago we were reading that Johnny Depp was cast in The Lone Ranger. Now we hear that this film isn't going ahead after all. Oh well.

He was going to be Tonto, not the Lone Ranger himself. Armie Hammer, best known for playing both Winklevii in The Social Network, was cast in the lead role.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Oscar the grouch

But sometimes foreign language films should be left alone...the french horror film "Them" was brilliant and then loosley remade into an english language movie called "The Strangers"which imo destroyed the original.Also the talk of re-doing the spanish horror movie"the Orphanage"which was imo a brilliant film,in english will defile the original....

How could it destroy the original?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just now I was looking up Julie Dreyfus on IMDB: she's one of the stars of Kill Bill Vol 1, and I was curious what she was up to. Well, one of her rumoured future projects, according to IMDB, is ... Kill Bill Vol 3. Uma Thurman is listed too, of course, as is Daryl Hannah. Considering that Sofie Fatale (Dreyfus) was last seen missing an arm, and Elle Driver (Hannah) had had her one remaining eye forcibly extracted, I wonder whether the plans are for a prequel ..? :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Isn't Kill Bill 3 a joke QT played on the media?
    Y'know
    What with Bill being dead and all....

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

bnt wrote: »
    Just now I was looking up Julie Dreyfus on IMDB: she's one of the stars of Kill Bill Vol 1, and I was curious what she was up to. Well, one of her rumoured future projects, according to IMDB, is ... Kill Bill Vol 3. Uma Thurman is listed too, of course, as is Daryl Hannah. Considering that Sofie Fatale (Dreyfus) was last seen missing an arm, and Elle Driver (Hannah) had had her one remaining eye forcibly extracted, I wonder whether the plans are for a prequel ..? :cool:

You should never believe IMDb on stuff like this. They said Nic Cage and Bruce Willis were cast in Captain America

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Galvasean wrote: »
    Isn't Kill Bill 3 a joke QT played on the media?
    Y'know
    What with Bill being dead and all....

Maybe
    he comes back as a zombie and Robert Rodriguez is directing.

Advertisement