Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnny Depp Cast In Tim Burtons Alice, The Lone Ranger and POTC4

Options
  • 25-09-2008 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Taken from and read in full here.

deppsparrow.jpg

Johnny Depp has been cast as The Lone Ranger in the upcoming Jerry Bruckheimer produced adaptation of the classic old-time radio and early television show created by George W. Trendle. Depp will play a masked Texas Ranger in the Old West who rights injustices with the aid of his native American assistant, Tonto. He gallops along on his white horse Silver. The character’s signature quote is “Hi-yo, Silver, away!” Pirates of the Caribbean writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio have been writing the script. No start or release dates have been announced.

Depp must have signed a multi-picture deal with the studio, because it was also announced that the actor would play The Madd Hatter in Tim Burton’s 3D part live-action, part computer animated adaptation of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Principal photography is set to begin in November, with a March 5th 2010 release date previously announced. Concept art from the film was shown, showing the classic Alice in Wonderland scenes done in Tim Burton style, complete with curved and slanted corners. Everything is really stylized. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb have huge heads, and are shaped like upward missiles. None of the characters look like a dramatic departure from the traditional designs.
    At the conclusion of the presentation, Walt Disney Studios Chairman Richard W. “Dick” Cook announced “How about another pirates movie!?” signaling that Depp was now signed for Pirates of the Caribbean 4.

I have to say I'm so totally excited!!! I cannot wait!!! Not to sure about POTC4 as I thought the last one was very bad but hopefully they might do a better job this time around!!! :D

I most can't wait to see Tim Burton's Alice!!! Sounds really awesome!!! His style with fit it perfectly!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I love Johnny Depp, but over-exposure can kill a career.
    Especially if he keeps doing this pirate crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Ah I dont know. I like J. Depp as an actor and I think he's very good but its getting a bit tiresome a this stage.

Take a look at the last lot of film's he's done
    POTC (1,2,3)
    Charlie & Chocolate Factory
    Sweeny Todd

The character he plays in each of those films is a carbon copy of the Jack Sparrow style of carachter a "zany" guy of many quirks and facial expressions.

Admittedly its suited to the Mad hatter role but ...

If he keeps going into roles like this its going to end up killing his career too, theres only so long a single charachter formula can work.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

c - 13 wrote: »
    Ah I dont know. I like J. Depp as an actor and I think he's very good but its getting a bit tiresome a this stage.

Take a look at the last lot of film's he's done
    POTC (1,2,3)
    Charlie & Chocolate Factory
    Sweeny Todd

The character he plays in each of those films is a carbon copy of the Jack Sparrow style of carachter a "zany" guy of many quirks and facial expressions.

Admittedly its suited to the Mad hatter role but ...

If he keeps going into roles like this its going to end up killing his career too, theres only so long a single charachter formula can work.

Its a little unfair to hone in on one style of character over his whole career unless people consider his performance in say donnie darko as "zany",

I mean the statement os honing in on one type of character should be said for sam jackson, Arnie, Bruce Willis, (even thought i'm massive fan of all 3)

The likes of Depp and say Russle Crowe have visited the same kind of character but TBF they have also played very different ones aswell.

I for one loved the first POTC but only found the next two passable at best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

c - 13 wrote: »

I dunno, Ben Stiller still gets work..

Adding to this he's rumoured to be (well, Michael Caine said he was) playing the Riddler in the next Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Enlil_Nick wrote: »

Adding to this he's rumoured to be (well, Michael Caine said he was) playing the Riddler in the next Batman.

Ben Stiller gets work because he also writes (poorly) and directs (even worse)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

Enlil_Nick wrote: »

Oh, FFS.

Michael Caine never said that.

What Michael Caine said was that some idiot Hollywood exec was speaking off the top of his head, and saying that "wouldn't it be cool if JD was to be the Riddler in the next movie."

It doesn't even have the status of rumour. It has the status of third hand wishful thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DaveyGem

Oh, FFS.

What Michael Caine said was that some idiot Hollywood exec was speaking off the top of his head, and saying that "wouldn't it be cool if JD was to be the Riddler in the next movie."

It doesn't even have the status of rumour. It has the status of third hand wishful thinking.

Thank you! and we all know that Casey Afleck would make a much better riddler anyway.

Am i the only one who enjoyed POTC series? Thought JD did a cracking job of his role, i would welcome a 4th enstalment but leave out bloom and knightley out. Geofrey Rush on the other hand has to be in it...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

He is really starting to annoy me for some reason.
    Cant even remember the last good movie he was in.
    Oh no, wait, Donnie Brasco.
    I used to have that jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

DaveyGem wrote: »
    Thank you! and we all know that Casey Afleck would make a much better riddler anyway.

Am i the only one who enjoyed POTC series? Thought JD did a cracking job of his role, i would welcome a 4th enstalment but leave out bloom and knightley out. Geofrey Rush on the other hand has to be in it...
    I enjoyed POTC.

I did feel that POTC3 was a but much. Tried to be a Jacksonian LOTR. Didn't work. So hyperbolic it was extraneous. I still enjoyed it, but half out of tribute to the first two. But it's still good. Just disappointing.

I wasn't really irritated by JD in it. I did think, however, that his character was a little marred by the misplaced self-confidence of the writers. Jack Sparrow became more of a brand than a character - a caricature of himself built on the praise of POTC1. But JD still made it entertaining.

The material for POTC3 was over-compressed too. There were characters I wanted more of, but their appearances became little more than teasers, on account of there being too much to get done in the film. I wanted to see more of the Pirate Kings, more of Jack's Dad, more of Geoffrey Rush, more of Jack Davenport, more of Cutler Beckett, more of Davey Jones, more of Stellan Skarsgaard, more of Chow Yun Fat, etc. But it couldn't be done in one movie. So I couldn't help wishing they hadn't put them in there at all.

Unfortunately, they killed off a goodly portion of the good supporting cast, and kept the Knightley/Bloom thing, which wasn't really a touchstone for me. And it all ended up repeating too much of the Luke/Leia/Han triangle from Star Wars, albeit with a few differences. But the characters are the same, by the end of POTC3.

That world, though, is so colourful and rich, and there is so much narratival atmosphere to it. That's what they've done so well. It seems so magically real and alive, and exciting. A real vade mecum. That's the strength of the franchise. There's so much to draw on - so many murky waters and strange places and mystery to it. So much history to draw on - the diversity and otherness of the native Americas, the mass confusion and conquest of the New World story, the clash of cultures, the mythology and superstition of seafarers, the historical and literary invention of the time, the sense of time passing, and of historic changes in the world, and the wonderful chaos of the Carribean sea.

Did anyone ever play Monkey Island? That had it all too. ( Would have been cool if they could have worked in a Guybrush Threepwood reference - just a tiny one! ) They overdid it for POTC3. POTC is better being just what it wants to be - a superlative pirate franchise, rather than trying to fight the fad for epicness on its own ground. It's supposed to be swashbuckling, not world-spanning. And when they do it right, and it doesn't overwhelm you with tediousness, it's epic enough as what it is. If they could do another one that has that formula right (like the first one, and to a lesser extent, the second one,) I would totally go to see it. I don't give a toss that it "underuses" Depp. It's just good fantasy cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Also rumored to be in sincity 2 or 3(not sure which one it is) and obviously he would be heavy favourite for the Riddler should they do another Batman although I think Jim Carrey should be re-cast :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Aintitcool are reporting that george clooney is in talks to play The Lone Ranger.

Maybe they will darken the story from the old TV series, make into a proper western instead of some kind of zorro type mess.

Clooney and depp, that would be a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Oh, FFS.

Sorry, don't have time to check the sources of every paragraph long IMDb article. :o

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I enjoyed POTC.

I did feel that POTC3 was a but much. Tried to be a Jacksonian LOTR. Didn't work. So hyperbolic it was extraneous. I still enjoyed it, but half out of tribute to the first two. But it's still good. Just disappointing.

I wasn't really irritated by JD in it. I did think, however, that his character was a little marred by the misplaced self-confidence of the writers. Jack Sparrow became more of a brand than a character - a caricature of himself built on the praise of POTC1. But JD still made it entertaining.

The material for POTC3 was over-compressed too. There were characters I wanted more of, but their appearances became little more than teasers, on account of there being too much to get done in the film. I wanted to see more of the Pirate Kings, more of Jack's Dad, more of Geoffrey Rush, more of Jack Davenport, more of Cutler Beckett, more of Davey Jones, more of Stellan Skarsgaard, more of Chow Yun Fat, etc. But it couldn't be done in one movie. So I couldn't help wishing they hadn't put them in there at all.

Unfortunately, they killed off a goodly portion of the good supporting cast, and kept the Knightley/Bloom thing, which wasn't really a touchstone for me. And it all ended up repeating too much of the Luke/Leia/Han triangle from Star Wars, albeit with a few differences. But the characters are the same, by the end of POTC3.

That world, though, is so colourful and rich, and there is so much narratival atmosphere to it. That's what they've done so well. It seems so magically real and alive, and exciting. A real vade mecum. That's the strength of the franchise. There's so much to draw on - so many murky waters and strange places and mystery to it. So much history to draw on - the diversity and otherness of the native Americas, the mass confusion and conquest of the New World story, the clash of cultures, the mythology and superstition of seafarers, the historical and literary invention of the time, the sense of time passing, and of historic changes in the world, and the wonderful chaos of the Carribean sea.

Did anyone ever play Monkey Island? That had it all too. ( Would have been cool if they could have worked in a Guybrush Threepwood reference - just a tiny one! ) They overdid it for POTC3. POTC is better being just what it wants to be - a superlative pirate franchise, rather than trying to fight the fad for epicness on its own ground. It's supposed to be swashbuckling, not world-spanning. And when they do it right, and it doesn't overwhelm you with tediousness, it's epic enough as what it is. If they could do another one that has that formula right (like the first one, and to a lesser extent, the second one,) I would totally go to see it. I don't give a toss that it "underuses" Depp. It's just good fantasy cinema.

Very good points here, I would also like to see them move back towards the first one. Actually one of my favourite movies simply for surprising me so much, OB is an awful actor and I would be delighted if he was restricted to a cameo. Geoffry Rush and JD would be much more interesting in the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland?

Why does Hollywood always insist on sticking them in there? They weren't in the book.

Nothing will ever come close to Jan Švankmajer's version for pure brilliance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

I used to have time for johny depp as an actor I thought he was fairly funny in the first POTC but the other two films make me cringe. I havent got time for any of the more recent tim burton films and I feel he is probly gona kill his career by the time he finishs the next batch of films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I aagree way to much over exposure he says hes doing the kids films for his own kids that they have something for them.But im sure when they are older they would rather have quality rather that quantity.Plus you have to think for years he done mostly independent films and now hes living in Hollywoods purse,i dont think his career will go much further unless he starts doing films that are off beat and a bit weird again.And i did like potc but i think doing a 4th will completely ruin him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

there will be gap between these films and his last lot, we've only seem him in the barber recently

Advertisement