Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-06-2011, 02:22   #1

Very chilly Tuesday-Wednesday with rain and risk of hill snow

M.T.'s forecast:

Quote:
UPDATE _ Sunday, 8:30 p.m.

The south has fared considerably better than the north today, and this trend will continue. One slow-moving upper-level disturbance is presently located over Ulster and will drift off towards Scotland on Monday. A second very chilly upper level low that is phasing with surface low pressure near Iceland today will drift southeast and arrive over Donegal Bay late Monday night, taking most of Tuesday and Wednesday to cross the north. While today's rain gradually tapers off to drizzle across the north tonight and a few breaks appear in the cloud cover mid-day Monday, this second disturbance will bring heavy rain, very chilly temperatures and even the risk of sleet or snow at higher elevations. Some of this unsettled weather will spread into central and parts of southern counties by Tuesday, but Donegal, Mayo and nearby counties appear likely to get the worst of it. Temperatures may be held as low as 5-8 C at times on Tuesday, and hills above 500m have the risk of snow or sleet with temperatures of 2-4 C. There may be some risks to safety of livestock on higher terrain, and it would definitely not be a good time to be camping or climbing with conditions no better than mid-January on average. The worst of this second round will last from early Tuesday to early Thursday.

As always, the impacts on Dublin and most of the south will be much less dramatic but I think that everyone will feel the chill at some point as this unusual weather pattern comes and goes. The eventual end game for this slow moving storm seems to be a leisurely return to base as the low starts to head north and then west later in the week. This will keep Ireland in a rather chilly westerly flow but as the clouds lift and break somewhat, temperatures should struggle back to the mid-teens.

More details in the morning forecast.
Last edited by M.T. Cranium; Yesterday at 20:35.

Did he just say snow? In June?

Last edited by thetonynator; 06-06-2011 at 10:33.
Advertisement
06-06-2011, 06:49   #2
M.T. Cranium

Yes, but the main story will be how cold the temperatures remain for the next 2-3 days in northern counties. Have a look at the current temperatures in Iceland.

http://en.vedur.is/weather/observations/areas/

(this map should be current whenever you click on it)

These are very low temperatures for early June near sea level in some cases.

Of course it's a bit more complicated than just to say this chilly air is coming southeast to cover the northern half of Ireland, but while the intervening ocean would warm up the flow somewhat, the upper dynamics then change to allow the air to cool off especially when it starts to drop rain (latent heat of condensation will chill the column). The latest soundings show temperatures are not much above freezing around hilltop heights of 700-900m. This is why I'm speculating that higher slopes could start to see rain change over to sleet and snow at times.

Tony, if you have a chance, perhaps you could change the thread title to something like

Very chilly Tuesday-Wednesday with rain and risk of hill snow

that may spread the alert more effectively than the current title. Thanx.

Last edited by M.T. Cranium; 06-06-2011 at 06:53.
06-06-2011, 08:38   #3
Birdnuts

It appears these islands have become some sort of magnet for cr%p summer weather in recent years - made worse by seeing all the heat heading into Scandanavia and Eastern Europe again this year!!
06-06-2011, 11:29   #4
maquiladora

(3) thanks from:
06-06-2011, 11:32   #5

Blatant attempt to get thread hits!
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-06-2011, 11:38   #6
Min

I think it would be great if all the snow lovers went and lived above 500M, they would get snowed in and lose comunications in the winter and those of us who want no snow would get some peace rather than it is January and it's 16C....

Pity it isn't that warm now...
Thanks from:
06-06-2011, 12:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike65 View Post
Blatant attempt to get thread hits!
In fairness, i don't think anyone wants snow right now . . .
06-06-2011, 12:08   #8
Pangea

One word of snow and Min is back, we all know you secretly love the stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min View Post
I think it would be great if all the snow lovers went and lived above 500M, they would get snowed in and lose comunications in the winter and those of us who want no snow would get some peace rather than it is January and it's 16C....

Pity it isn't that warm now...
I have another proposal, all snow haters leave the Country in the winter, it is winter afterall!

http://www.australia.com

Last edited by Pangea; 06-06-2011 at 12:15.
(3) thanks from:
06-06-2011, 12:53   #9

Time to roof the farm I reckon.
Advertisement
06-06-2011, 13:04   #10
Min

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangea View Post
One word of snow and Min is back, we all know you secretly love the stuff

I have another proposal, all snow haters leave the Country in the winter, it is winter afterall!

http://www.australia.com
I posted yesterday but the snow attracted more than me

I will leave if you come and work on my farm for free - will give free accommodation, I am kind , remember we get plenty of snow here so you should enjoy it as you try and de-ice the water and milking machine in - 16C temperatures...
Just have to be careful with Australia as one area got flooded and then the cyclones...maybe Barbados or some other Caribbean island outside of hurricane season.
06-06-2011, 13:49   #11
BEASTERLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min View Post
I posted yesterday but the snow attracted more than me

I will leave if you come and work on my farm for free - will give free accommodation, I am kind , remember we get plenty of snow here so you should enjoy it as you try and de-ice the water and milking machine in - 16C temperatures...
Just have to be careful with Australia as one area got flooded and then the cyclones...maybe Barbados or some other Caribbean island outside of hurricane season.
Typical Min! No weather will ever be good enough!

Last edited by BEASTERLY; 06-06-2011 at 13:51.
06-06-2011, 13:58   #12
Min

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEASTERLY View Post
Typical Min! No weather will ever be good enough!
True

I want rain now as some of the ground is burning up but not the cold. Warm and thundery weather would be ideal.

Look at what we are getting
06-06-2011, 14:35   #13
nacho libre

If only this was a winter forecast! - Still, even it was, i doubt it could be as good as that magical couple of days last December. Will I ever see snowfall as epic as that again, in Ireland, I fear not!
06-06-2011, 15:35   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho libre View Post
If only this was a winter forecast! - Still, even it was, i doubt it could be as good as that magical couple of days last December. Will I ever see snowfall as epic as that again, in Ireland, I fear not!
End of November was good, December was just 1 miserable cm sitting on the ground for 10 days . .
06-06-2011, 15:50   #15
nacho libre

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetonynator View Post
End of November was good, December was just 1 miserable cm sitting on the ground for 10 days . .
I thought the foot of snow that fell in the north west on the 17-18 of December would be as fresh in your mind as it is mine. Could it be we apportion more significance to snow that falls in our own area

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion