Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Wet and Windy Friday-Saturday(14th-15th), Potential Flooding.

• 13-01-2011 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭

From Friday evening its looking to be very wet and windy along the West and south west Coasts. Winds will be southwesterly touching gale force at times, with gusts possibly up to 65mph ( storm force 10) at times , especially near coasts.

Rain amounts could lead to spot flooding in places , most at risk at this time would be low lying parts Galway, sligo , mayo and parts of Roscommon. Rain spreading to all areas later on.

As the storm moves more inland the winds will be dampened to an extent, but rain will still persist, heavy during Saturday morning in inland counties.
    Below is Saturday's predictive run by MÉs 5 day chart.

web_irl_rainfall_2011011600.gif?h=1294923600000

And A Surface Pressure Chart For Friday
    FSXX00T_24.jpg
    My guess for rainfall amounts at Mullingar to be 30-35mms of rain throughout friday night and saturday.

Seeing that im not so skilled at doing my own forecasts , all corrections and comments welcome .

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I don't think rainfall will be as intense as forcasted. Weather Friday looks fine, with light/medium precip at night. Might get a bit heavier in the morning but I don't see 65mph gusts either. Another disappointing storm a brewing over the weekend :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! :D \o/ More of the same for the remainder of the month please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Anything that keeps the snow bunnies off this forum is good news...even if that event does not even look wet by west of Ireland standards. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

mike65 wrote: »

AH Crap sorry man!, i didnt notice that thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Had some pretty heffty thunderstorms this morning. Another one rolling in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Violent rainstorm just hit here in south Meath. The blue and yellow on the met radar just doesn't give any indication of the intensity of those showers.

Not wrote: »
    Violent rainstorm just hit here in south Meath. The blue and yellow on the met radar just doesn't give any indication of the intensity of those showers.

Ive noticed that b4 , especially with shortlived but real heavy showers, rain today would be Slightly better i think.

Westport getting a good shower now any min.

id love a good ol' storm today. Lots of thunder and lightning would be great.
    Bored with this weather.

Jake1 wrote: »
    id love a good ol' storm today. Lots of thunder and lightning would be great.
    Bored with this weather.

Totally agree! :)... perfect weather for making a chicken and sweetcorn soup for dinner! ... :)

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Totally agree! :)... perfect weather for making a chicken and sweetcorn soup for dinner! ... :)

Ooh sounds lovely. :)

Just as I wrote the other post it started storming like a mad thing here. (tech term ehem..) Huge gust of wind scared the bejeeebus outta me :) Mind you it didnt help that I was watching the solar flare from earlier , the one that looks like the Scream picture. Did you see it?
    , its almost identical to that famous pic.

http://www.lmsal.com/solarsoft/latest_events_summary/gev_20110114_0128/gev_20110114_0128_laslm.html

I think ill make an aul soup for dinner too. Perfect weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,186 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Jaysus! Just got hail and heavy rain. Loads of wind too! I thought I saw slight, very slight rotation, I wonder if we can get a ickle funnel? :D

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Jaysus! Just got hail and heavy rain. Loads of wind too! I thought I saw slight, very slight rotation, I wonder if we can get a ickle funnel? :D

wouldnt suprise me, that was mental wasnt it? Came out of nowhere too.

Ok, Id like some more now .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,186 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

All my doors were slamming away, something was happening above us anyway!

Thanks for that heads up! :) , got my first HD video recorded! :)

its only a short one tough :) ( FECKING TAKING ages!, only 60% ! ) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,013 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Just hit Newcastle Dublin very stormy

Short gusty shower passing by. ( My first FUll HD Video :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Flan_Da_Man125

localised flooding looking a certainty by the way this front is approaching. will be with us at around 9pm to 12 period and will stick around till sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I have issued an alert in the forecast section for strong winds and heavy rainfalls overnight. Expect some gusts to 65-70 mph and 20-40 mms of rain sweeping in fairly soon in the southwest and by 9-11 p.m. in the east, lasting most of the night, but peaking for wind at least around 0300h. Belmullet could see gusts to 70 knots (almost 80 mph) but that's not too extreme for the location. This won't be localized, it will affect almost every part of Ireland as it comes through. Ship reports are indicating the winds have already developed.

Nothing down here, sunny & dry all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Around two weeks ago MT said it would be windy mid month. That guy is freakishly accurate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

HIRLAM 24hr rainfall total from 0300hrs tomorrow morning:

143357.JPG

Fair splodge of rain over the country.

Image source: yr.no

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

HIRLAM 24hr rainfall total from 0300hrs tomorrow morning:

143357.JPG

Fair splodge of rain over the country.

Image source: yr.no

Not sure how accurate that will be for my neck of the woods. Think we will get more than a few millimeters.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

lol - looks like i am in the isle of man shadow :D

Still nothing here...getting chilly under calm skies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Heavy rain now in Waterford City, wind picking up a little but nothing special.

LOOK all the activty out in the atlantic!

sf_na_1d.gif

Bring it on, nothing says winter like a slashing gale!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Very heavy rain here in south Tipp the last hour or so, quite gusty too, sounds awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

nothing happening here ATM,overcast&mild

Advertisement