Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet and Windy Friday-Saturday(14th-15th), Potential Flooding.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Getting a serious hammering with wind in Achill. Things flying around outside, roof creeking, the works. No idea what speed it is but it's been bad for an hour or so.

Wont sleep through this!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

NMM showing some very high 24 hour rainfall totals coming up this weekend.
    NMM.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Wind has picked up in the last 15 mins or so, just had a 40km/h gust.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

themadchef wrote: »
    Getting a serious hammering with wind in Achill. Things flying around outside, roof creeking, the works. No idea what speed it is but it's been bad for an hour or so.

Wont sleep through this!

its mad windy alright in achill, worst i have heard in a while. the slates are flapping on the roof. at least the lights are still on.

we used to this sort of weather in achill though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

62 mph gust in belmullet.

• Advertisement

Sounds great out here in Ballyporeen, so it must be amazing in Achill!
    Lots of lightning in Connacht it seems http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&subpage_3=3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Extremely windy in Castlebar,Raining,but nothin too heavy and no lightning/thunder(well none that i seen/heard).

irishgeo wrote: »
    62 mph gust in belmullet.

Gust of 64mph now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Heavy rain here for the past few hours, once again the Met Eireann radar is showing hardly anything over us all evening while raintoday (accurately) shows us under heavy rain :rolleyes:

Wind is strong but nothing too extreme as of yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Stupid Dundalk and its stupid lack of weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Just a normal winter depression so far really.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

wind is insane in tallaght, we just lost tiles off our roof what's that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

starting to calm a bit now, serious amount of rain though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

craggles wrote: »
    wind is insane in tallaght, we just lost tiles off our roof what's that about?

It's wild out there tonight alright! Enjoyed walking home in some kind of "weather" again :)

The snow was much easier to navigate than this though, the wind and rain were peeling my face off and shooting daggers in my eyes tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I have a flight out of Dublin at 7 am Sunday, sounds like it will be a fairground ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I have a flight out of Dublin at 7 am Sunday, sounds like it will be a fairground ride.

Im not too far from Dublin Airport and the wind was very bad this morning, felt like it peaked around 4am!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Mild, wet and windy. A few gusts but nothing hair raising. Showery but not particularly heavy when it is raining.

Pretty normal windy day here in West Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Still raining hard here, pretty much non-stop since 9pm last night.
    Wind has dropped a little now, didn't get much sleep as the wind was whistling through something all night, will have to investigate if the rain stops.
    Localized flooding is a given at this stage, the rivers were quite full yesterday.

The rain has only begun letting up here in the last 5 minutes, still quite windy out though.
    Highest 24 hour rainfall total as of 6am in Claremorris at 21mm. Was expecting more than that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

The Met Eireann rainfall radar looks very colourful this morning :)

A few heavy showers to be seen in places :) (just not around West Limerick).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Temp currently 11.4. Winds gusting to mid 50's (mph) so nothing we don't see fairly regularly. Rainfall in past 24 hours 55.4.

Nth west Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Unimpressive tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

mike65 wrote: »
    Unimpressive tbh.

Is there any form of weather left that can impress you?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well I'm sorry but I was expecting something more substaintial than a standard winter wet 'n windy night & day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well I'm sorry but I was expecting something more substaintial than a standard winter wet 'n windy night & day.

why? with maximum gusts of 65 mph predicted it was only ever going to be a standard winter depression. 60 mph gusts during winter are no big deal for coastal areas.

is it that you are underwhelmed by the rainfall totals rather than wind?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Flew home first thing this morning for the weekend, was a fun landing :D The wings on the plane were flapping like bird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Rainfall totals at met eireann synoptic stations since midnight (up to 12pm)

143466.jpg

Claremorris 12hr total now over 20mm, yet Mace Head by the coast only on 3.0mm! Generally between 5mm and 10mm over the rest of the country so far.

Data c/o:
    met eireann
    Irish Weather Network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Unimpressive tbh.

Felt like the worst storm in a long time in South Dublin. The gusts where very violent and the roof and internal structure of the house were making noises I have never heard them before - an assortment of loud bangs cracks thuds and creaking noises. Also looks like we may lose a tree in the garden through a combination of wind and ground saturation :( I hope the wind dies down soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Feckin' mad in Cork - woken up several times during the night. The fact my street is like a wind tunnel didn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

There was something different about last nights storm. It's like it spent 4 or 5 hours last night trying to suck the roof off the house in between trying to blow it off :confused:

Advertisement