Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why have RTE employed a 15 second time delay on the bailout announcement?

Options
  • 21-11-2010 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭

I cant believe that Irish TV had no coverage of the Bailout discussions this evening, why ae they not keeping the people informed?

Now that the state broadcaster RTE has finally shown some interest in our disasterous finanical affairs this evening, why are they 15 seconds behind every one else? Do we live in a democracy or does the state brodcaster and/or the government censor information to the extent that they need 15 seconds to cut out anything they don't want us to hear? What the hell is happening in Ireland ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

To be fair, RTE's feed might have to go through two upload sequences......don't know for definite, but the other station feeds would be direct from London through Sky.

If you are watching on a terrestrial signal, is the delay still there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

To cut off Vincent Browne. Sky News is still live and RTE cut him off mid-interview.

Censorship not seen like this outside of maybe China.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Just in case you still want to watch it as RTE have cut coverage of questions - its on BBC news channel.

Brian Cowen has just answered questions from Vincent Brown, as he wants the Irish people to hear his answers - well RTE aren't showing the answers - the BBC are.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    To be fair, RTE's feed might have to go through two upload sequences......don't know for definite, but the other station feeds would be direct from London through Sky.

If you are watching on a terrestrial signal, is the delay still there ?

Its live from Dublin -.

I have also checked on analogue and digital - a Geostationary satellite delay is at most 2 seconds.

Again why is there a 15 second delay? What are they afraid will happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭wiseguy

In case somebody threw a shoe... or two :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Thats a 17 sec delay in total, vincent put cowen on the spot and he would not even at this stage give an honest answer, just on sky leading with 2 cops assaulting a protester whacking him off a mondeo and onto the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Absolutely shocking behaviour from RTE in fairness, terrible carry-on. I would've expected this in China or North Korea but not here. Disgusted :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Its live from Dublin -.

I have also checked on analogue and digital - a Geostationary satellite delay is at most 2 seconds.

Maybe that the truth will out. OR TE is a FF tool and has been for some time now IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Its live from Dublin -.

I already told you: the public and worldwide humiliation of Brian Cowen courtesy of Vincent Browne.

Cowen avowed with a smirk on his face that he shouldn't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

so they could cut it off as soon as Vincent came on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

wiseguy wrote: »
    In case somebody threw a shoe... or two :cool:

I wouldn't really have approved of violent protest before but the absolute smugness and arrogance of Brian Cowen in particular is astonishing. He keeps parroting about how he takes "full responsibility for his actions" but thats utter crap. I was almost hoping that we'd have a "shoe guy" as well as Cowen obviously does not feel any of shame or humiliation that he and his cronies have inflicted on this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Did RTE really cut of Vincent?? I was watching on BBC and they showed it untill the very end.

RTE are pure scum if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

RTE have been a government propaganda outlet for sometime now!

I honestly was not that shocked that they cut away from the Browne grillin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Absolutely shocking behaviour from RTE in fairness, terrible carry-on. I would've expected this in China or North Korea but not here. Disgusted :mad:

by rte cutting away from vinnys savaging of cowen , more than three quaters of the population ( at least ) missed the only honest part of the whole half hour wafflathon , rte baschcially went into damage limitation mode so as 17% didnt become .17%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I wouldn't really have approved of violent protest before but the absolute smugness and arrogance of Brian Cowen in particular is astonishing. He keeps parroting about how he takes "full responsibility for his actions" but thats utter crap. I was almost hoping that we'd have a "shoe guy" as well as Cowen obviously does not feel any of shame or humiliation that he and his cronies have inflicted on this country.

Biffo is not capable of taking responsibility.....his words are just words and mean nothing to him. He made an absolute hash of being Minister for Finance a nd he has reaped what he has sown as the most inept and incompetent Taoiseach ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

RTE will be held to account in the forthcoming Traitor Trials.

I turned over to BBC to hear Brian Cowen (who I dont believe is even capable of telling the truth at this stage) tell Vincent Browne to be quite
    while he gave the answers to questions that the Irish people needed to hear
    the answers too - just not on RTE it seems.

But still why was a 15 second delay needed - this is really troubling me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Anyone got a link to where I can watch the proper video?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Is this anywhere online to watch?? This needs to be seen. I don't have a television so repeats are out of the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Advertisement

To cut off Vincent Browne. Sky News is still live and RTE cut him off mid-interview.

Censorship not seen like this outside of maybe China.

time for everyone to stop paying the TV licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Thaedydal wrote: »

http://www.rte.ie/about/complaints.html
    Code of Practice for the Handling of Complaints
    RTÉ is obliged under Section 39 (1) of the Broadcasting Act 2009 to ensure that

(a) all news broadcast . is reported and presented in an objective and impartial manner and without any expression of the broadcaster's own views

(b) the broadcast treatment of current affairs, including matters which are either of public controversy or the subject of current public debate is fair to all interests concerned and that the broadcast matter is presented in an objective and impartial manner and without any expression of his or her own views, except that should it prove impracticable in relation to a single broadcast to apply this paragraph, two or more related broadcasts may be considered as a whole, if the broadcasts are transmitted within a reasonable period of each other

(d) anything which may reasonably be regarded as causing harm or offence, or as likely to promote, or incite to, crime or as tending to undermine the authority of the State, is not broadcast .

(e) in programmes . and in the means employed to make such programmes, the privacy of an individual is not unreasonably encroached upon.

(2) Nothing is subsection (1)(a) or (b) prevents (RTÉ) from transmitting party political broadcasts provided that (RTÉ) does not, in the allocation of time for such broadcasts, give an unfair preference to any political party

Complaints form...

http://www.rte.ie/about/RTE_Complaints_Form_2010.doc

I highlight in bold the parts of the act which I feel they have broken and which people should complain about in regards what they've done this evening and also highlight in red their possible line of defence - if they had the further gaul to do so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Byron85 wrote: »
    Is this anywhere online to watch?? This needs to be seen. I don't have a television so repeats are out of the question.

Same trying to find it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

This is called a broadcast delay and has been used in live broadcasting for several decades. It's not usually as long as 15 seconds but it's nothing new at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

time for everyone to stop paying the TV licence

send rte a message that we are not north koreans

info@rte.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Nehaxak wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/about/complaints.html

Complaints form...

http://www.rte.ie/about/RTE_Complaints_Form_2010.doc

I highlight in bold the parts of the act which I feel they have broken and which people should complain about in regards what they've done this evening and also highlight in red their possible line of defence - if they had the further gaul to do so...
    I have already submitted my complaint. I encourage everyone else here to do the same. It takes 2 minutes to fill out the form. Just point to the relevant pieces of the Act which you feel they have failed to uphold.

See here for more info: http://www.rte.ie/about/complaints.html

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Duplicate post - woops!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

RTE are hardly biased. In fact I would argue they are anti Fianna Fail. Just look at all the grillings certain presenters have given them and just the other night allowing Pat Rabbit to go on an almighty tyrant against Pat Carey.

I think this situation is more to do with an idiot of a director rather than anything else.

Edit: As for the 15 second delay, if you are watching on Sky this has always been the case. Sky News comes direct from Sky. RTE however first has to send the signal to Sky and then Sky forward it to homes causing a delay. It's possible they delay the analog signal as well to keep everything in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

• Advertisement

OctavarIan wrote: »
    This is called a broadcast delay and has been used in live broadcasting for several decades. It's not usually as long as 15 seconds but it's nothing new at all.

Please dont pretend that this is the norm or even the normally way a profanity unit is used.

Time delay, broadcast delay, and more usually named a profanity delay - does it really matter? I am well aware of what delay units are called. It is very unusual for the delay to be 15 seconds so it is something way out of the ordinary - why was it necessary :confused:

They are usually employed so that bad language and/or libelous statements will not go out live on air, but they are sometimes used to censor other things that for one reason or another may need to be censored.

So why was there a 15 second delay tonight - it wasn't for technical reasons so why was it necessary.

Obiviously I have already complained to RTE

Advertisement