Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East-West, Sligo-Dundalk Upgrade Scheme

Options
  • 07-10-2010 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any more info on this.
    It doesnt seem to be an NRA project, at least they arent documenting its progress on their website.
    East-West link project is progressing
    Oct 06 2010

Progress on the East-West road, to link Sligo to Dundalk, is continuing.

Consultants working on the route are currently preparing an initial design for the road from Cavan to Dundalk - which will be directed through Carrickmacross, Shercock and Cootehill.

It's expected that the design stage of the project will continue next year - subject to the availability of funding.

The route selection caused much controversy as Monaghan County Council wished to see the road go through Castleblayney and Ballybay instead - but Cavan County Council's original prefferred option won out in the end.
    http://www.northernsound.ie/news-details.php?nid=5156

With the way funding is going it'll be a long while yet before anything gets done on the ground with this scheme.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

First I've heard of this. A new N-road of Type 2 DC standard, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

dunno what the story is,
    I found this on the 2010 Cavan County Council budget documentation
    €663,327 was allocated for 3 Strategic Non-National Road Schemes (which
    are schemes that facilitate the implementation of the National Spatial
    Strategy).

• Fehily Timoney Gifford carried out a route selection and preliminary
    design on the Northern Strategic Route Link for Cavan Town.
    Roughan & O’Donovan – Faber Maunsell Limited were appointed as
    Consultants for the The East West Link Road from Dundalk to Sligo
    (Preliminary Design Stage).

• Atkins are the consultants on the Cavan Eastern Town Centre Access
    Route – Design Stage. ERDF funding will be received in 2010 to help
    progress this scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

I would think connecting Sligo to Enniskillen and then using the A4(m4)and N2(m2) to connect to dundalk would delivey a higher quality route.

Not saying that the roads in Cavan don't need improvement. But with limited resources we should make use of existing and planned roads where possible.

Th point of this road isnt primarily to get people from Dundalk to Sligo, or vice versa.
    (the route via Northern Ireland may be the only A Road/ N Road linking the 2 towns and its a good road at the moment aside from a substandard section near Sligo town itsself)

Its purpose is to link Dundalk & Sligo better to the areas SOUTH of the border which are nowhere near the road via Armagh.

Its also not something to forget that Greenore Port is also just beyond Dundalk and is a landing point for thousands of tons of bulk produce like animal feed stuff ingredients destined for plants in the region and is also a container port for exporting of goods from the border region.

EDIT: you also have a lot of east west traffic of bulk milk HGVs to and from the various Lakelands Dairies plants and the Golden Vale plant at Virginia.
    From the Lakeland Dairies site: "Lakeland operates across fifteen counties on a cross border basis processing some 800 million litres of milk annually through its facilities."

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

you also have a lot of east west traffic of bulk milk HGVs to and from the various Lakelands Dairies plants and the Golden Vale plant at Virginia.
    From the Lakeland Dairies site: "Lakeland operates across fifteen counties on a cross border basis processing some 800 million litres of milk annually through its facilities."

from this description of the road requirement it is a local issue not a key national infastructure issue. There are many corridors and roads in the country that need upgrading for local business and tourist issues.

While I understand that not much has been invested in the roads north of the m4 and east of m1 and access to the boader counties and northwest is bad, building a "national" (island of ireland) grid of roads should take preference over local ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

IMO the M3 should be extended to Sligo, as the main Dublin to Sligo route, as I suggested before (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68160463#post68160463). This could also double as the western half of a Sligo to Dundalk route.

Cootehill - Shercock - Carrickmacross - Dundalk would seem like a good route for the eastern half. On the Cavan side it could pass north of Butlersbridge and join the current N3 where the new Belturbet bypass is proposed to start with a large roundabout (in order to limit the number of junctions on the N3 heading north from Cavan to allow for upgrade of this stretch of road to 2+2 in the future). The existing N3/N55 would link the two roads.

With bypasses of towns like Ballinagh, Killydoon and Granard on the N55, and the roads I described above we could have a proper road network for the border region with a road linking all the national primary routes and most of the major towns in the region; M1 (at Dundalk), N2 (at Carrickmacross), M3 (at Cavan) and N4 (at Edgewothstown). More upgrades on the N55 further south would also link Athlone and the M6 into the network.

Here is a quick map of what I am talking about if you dont understand (extended M3 in purple and new Cavan - Dundalk route in pink).

I found another article on the proposed project which gives a small insight into why this route was chosen and not a more northerly "tour de Monaghan" via all major towns in Monaghan, which was strangely enough pushed by Monaghan county council.
    Published: Wednesday, 14th April, 2010 5:00pm
    East/West route finally settled on

A new consultancy study has confirmed the original route of the proposed East/West transport corridor through Carrickmacross, Cootehill, Belturbet and Enniskillen.

This was revealed at Monday's meeting of Cavan County Council when members were presented with copies of the study by the consultancy team for the project, Roughan & O'Donovan AECOM Alliance.
    The new study was warmly welcomed by councillors, in particular the announcement that the proposed transport corridor was now being progressed to preliminary design stage with a sum of €600,000 allocated for this purpose.

There has been considerable pressure from some councillors in Co. Monaghan seeking to have the new road travel via Ballybay and Clones to Enniskillen.

However, the consultants examined this option and a strong factor in favour of the Cootehill, Belturbet route was the existing new road and bridge at Aghalane, which will be complemented by the new Belturbet bypass connecting as it will on to the current Cavan bypass.
    This takes the new transport corridor down the western side of Upper Lough Erne enabling it to skirt Enniskillen as it heads towards Manorhamilton and Sligo. Opting for the Clones route would have presented difficulties for a major highway crossing the Erne at Enniskillen.

Director of Service, Joe McLoughlin, stated that the consultants were working on the project with a steering committee comprised of representatives of local authorities in the Border region. The new East/West transportation corridor connects the gateway centres of Dundalk and Sligo providing easy access to hub towns such as Monaghan, Cavan and Enniskillen on the way.

In their study, the consultants state that the existing national primary road network for the Border region radiates from Dublin and Belfast with a large number of regional roads providing the means of travelling from east to west.
    In selecting the core route, the consultants were mindful of its potential to facilitate access from a series of upgraded connecting roads in the region. The linking of towns in Cavan and Monaghan to the new highway through vastly improved regional roads is seen as essential to the success of the project.
    http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2010/04/14/3996357-eastwest-route-finally-settled-on/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Indeed like everyone here I had never heard of this and I'm confused as to why it isn't a National Route (though that would explain why it's not on the NRA's site) considering it's a route of national importance. Also like many of the rest of you I had also independently come up with this idea and it's on my site. I have it run from Dundalk for 90 km to just west of Carrick-on-Shannon where it links with the new N5 from Carrick to Frenchpark.

There's no route number mentioned in the text quoted but I thought it might be N53. Here's the page discussing it, note that I haven't updated it and some of the info (destination and length) is wrong.

You didnt see a route number as there is no single route number for the stretch between Cavan and Dundalk.

From Dundalk-Carrickmacross-Shercock its the R178 (37km)
    From Shercock-Cootehill its the R192 (16km)
    And Cootehill to Cavan is the R188 (21km)

Map of Proposed Upgrade Scheme - Dundalk-Carrickmacross-Cootehill-Cavan (bypass)

And then from Cavan (bypass) you follow the N3
    via Belturbet Bypass (due to start 2011)
    then from Belturbet bypassing Enniskillen to the west on the N3/ A509 which has been substantially upgraded since the ceasefires.

Its then a straight run on the A4/ N16 Belfast-Sligo road into Sligo.
    Map of route from Cavan (bypass) - Enniskillen(west)- Sligo

spacetweek wrote: »
    Indeed like everyone here I had never heard of this and I'm confused as to why it isn't a National Route (though that would explain why it's not on the NRA's site) considering it's a route of national importance. Also like many of the rest of you I had also independently come up with this idea and it's on my site. I have it run from Dundalk for 90 km to just west of Carrick-on-Shannon where it links with the new N5 from Carrick to Frenchpark.

There's no route number mentioned in the text quoted but I thought it might be N53. Here's the page discussing it, note that I haven't updated it and some of the info (destination and length) is wrong.

Do you do that website yourself spacetweek? It is very impressive and makes for an interesting read, well done.

Can I just make a few observations. The route you have coming from Dundalk to Carrick-on-Shannon uses the existing N3 on approach to Cavan town. Due to disgraceful planning policy in Cavan town over the past 20 years this stretch of road is lettered with entrances to retail parks/industrial estates and should not be used as a national primary route in the future. That is why I suggested the road from Dundalk should be north of Cavan town and would meet the existing Cavan bypass north of Butlersbridge where the proposed Belturbet bypass will begin. That way you have one node where three roads meet, instead of having multiple junctions to link them. As the article above mentions, this has the obvious advantage of using the Belturbet bypass which is at a more advanced stage and should start construction at some time next year. Also by extending the M3 passing south of Ballinagh as in my map, the main flow of traffic in Cavan would be north-south alone the bypass, instead of east towards Dublin on the existing Dublin road.

You have a new road replacing the N54 from Butlersbridge to Clones and Monaghan town. I doubt there will ever be money available for such a road, although it would be great for match days in Clones. Anyway I think a new road linking the N54 to the Cavan bypass north of Butlersbridge, meaning traffic could avoid the village, along with online upgrades and bypasses of Clones and Monaghan town would be a cost effective and realistic solution. Online upgrades would be possible on this road as there are not many private entrances onto this road.

I would also question the need for a new road from Granard to Cavan as there are some good stretches of the N55 and other realignments and widenings would be possible because again, there are a lot less private entrances onto this road than on many other roads. Bypasses of Ballinagh and Killydoon would quite easily done. Further improvements/bypasses on the N55 and N62, along with your N52 road, would create a Nenagh-Birr-Athlone-Edgeworthstown-Granard-Cavan route which would then split to allow travel to Sligo(M3 extension as I suggested), Monaghan (N54 upgrade) or Dundalk (the new road this thread is about).

Thats just a few of my own ideas anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

There is a broader issue here. The route from Belfast to Galway is of national significance. Do you just to via the M50, do you travel via Cavan or do you travel via Sligo. This is one trip between major centres where it is impossible to tell what is planned as the major route for this trip.

And of local importance, Monaghan and Enniskillen are poorly connected, unless you travel via Augnacloy. There is a strong rationale for the cross border rationalisation of things like hospitals in this region, but this is compromised by poor road links.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

the n16 sligo-to enniskillen is a really bad road
    i think it would be hard to up grade this road
    it cuts through to many valley's ect
    i think the road should continue through north leitrim
    and then on to sligo

and then on to sligo
    The entire N16 from Sligo to the border at Blacklion was in line to be upgraded but all 3 sub projects are now suspended according to the nra website (last active status is below).
    [B]Scheme				Status[/B]
    N16 Glenfarne to Blacklion  	Feasibility Study  (7km)
    N16 Glenfarne to Glencar  	Route Selection  (35km)
    N16 Sligo to Glencar  		 Route Selection (7km)

Interestingly, the 3 sections above are entirely in Cavan, Leitrim and Sligo respectively, divided up by county rather than any relation to which sections of the road itself should be logically treated together as a package.

Anyhow, if this road is in line for upgrade on its own merits even in the medium term, it makes sense to incorporate it into the Dundalk-Sligo routing!!
    Being part of a bigger plan might even give it higher priority. Who knows.

The entire N16 from Sligo to the border at Blacklion was in line to be upgraded but all 3 sub projects are now suspended according to the nra website (last active status is below).
    [B]Scheme                Status[/B]
    N16 Glenfarne to Blacklion      Feasibility Study  (7km)
    N16 Glenfarne to Glencar      Route Selection  (35km)
    N16 Sligo to Glencar           Route Selection (7km)

Interestingly, the 3 sections above are entirely in Cavan, Leitrim and Sligo respectively, divided up by county rather than any relation to which sections of the road itself should be logically treated together as a package.

Anyhow, if this road is in line for upgrade on its own merits even in the medium term, it makes sense to incorporate it into the Dundalk-Sligo routing!!
    Being part of a bigger plan might even give it higher priority. Who knows.

It is odd that they would divide it based on where it crosses a county border, after all as a national primary route it should fall under the control of the NRA and county councils should have nothing to do with it.

Im sure it has everything to do with how it fits in with the respective county development plans. This is a very limited way of looking at it because upgrading 7km of road between Sligo and Glencar may have very little economic benefit to county Sligo but the overall scheme including the sections in Cavan and Leitrim would have huge benefits. Sligo has no say in the other sections and therefore there is no point in progressing their own section of the project until everybody else is at the same stage.

Just another example of how our county development plan system actually stifles development rather than promoting it. I have no doubt that if a proper regional development plan was drawn up this Sligo - Dundalk route would be near the top of it because of the benefits it would have to counties Sligo, Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan and Louth. Unfortunately county councillors are too vain and will fight tooth and nail to hang onto what little piece of authority they have at the expense of the people they are representing.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nickhilliard

and then on to sligo

Depends which part of the road you're talking about. Enniskillen to the Clancy's side of Glenfarne is on pretty flat land, and would be reasonably easy to upgrade - if you ignore the road topology, the dressing quality is quite good in places. After that, there are some pretty dodgy bits between there and Manorhamilton. After Manor, there's some stretches of really good road, but once you get to the Glencar vally, all bets are off. Upgrading this section will be expensive and difficult, and the only alternatives would be to plough straight through the bottom of Glencar valley (which would ruin it), or else add 10km to the route by building a completely new road south of Benbo, heading towards Dromahair.

It's difficult to build roads through mountains.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

EDIT: you also have a lot of east west traffic of bulk milk HGVs to and from the various Lakelands Dairies plants and the Golden Vale plant at Virginia.
    Thats only 100 (loaded) outgoing trucks per day ..... across fifteen counties.
    Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    It is odd that they would divide it based on where it crosses a county border, after all as a national primary route it should fall under the control of the NRA and county councils should have nothing to do with it.
    Oh how innocent ye are. The NRA do funding and policy. The councils and NRDOs do everything else. Look at how the M3 project magically stopped just at the Cavan and Dublin borders, but provided all sorts of secondary upgrades within Meath.

I'm wondering if a dedicated Sligo-Dundalk route is a bit premature and if upgrading existing routes should have priority, especially the N52. remember Sligo town only has a population for 20,000 and Dundalk 30,000. Boyle-Charlestown is the only new route on this map.

Victor wrote: »
    Thats only 100 (loaded) outgoing trucks per day ..... across fifteen counties.
    Oh how innocent ye are. The NRA do funding and policy. The councils and NRDOs do everything else. Look at how the M3 project magically stopped just at the Cavan and Dublin borders, but provided all sorts of secondary upgrades within Meath.

I'm wondering if a dedicated Sligo-Dundalk route is a bit premature and if upgrading existing routes should have priority, especially the N52. remember Sligo town only has a population for 20,000 and Dundalk 30,000. Boyle-Charlestown is the only new route on this map.
    the whole point of the road is not to specifically connect dundalk to sligo
    but to improve infrastructure for the whole border region and acess to the north

Depends which part of the road you're talking about. Enniskillen to the Clancy's side of Glenfarne is on pretty flat land, and would be reasonably easy to upgrade - if you ignore the road topology, the dressing quality is quite good in places. After that, there are some pretty dodgy bits between there and Manorhamilton. After Manor, there's some stretches of really good road, but once you get to the Glencar vally, all bets are off. Upgrading this section will be expensive and difficult, and the only alternatives would be to plough straight through the bottom of Glencar valley (which would ruin it), or else add 10km to the route by building a completely new road south of Benbo, heading towards Dromahair.

It's difficult to build roads through mountains.

Nick
    i agree i think the dromahair proposal is the best option
    as you said upgrading the road in the glencar valley would be too expensive(plus it would ruin the view i like the winding roads there you could be mistaken for thinking you are in switzerland:D)

the minister of transport made a statement on the matter
    Written answers
    Tuesday, 19 October 2010

Rory O'Hanlon (Cavan-Monaghan, Fianna Fail)
    Question 315: To ask the Minister for Transport the position regarding the upgrade of the road from Dundalk to Cavan; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [37379/10]

Noel Dempsey (Minister, Department of Transport; Meath West, Fianna Fail)
    Proposals to deliver an upgraded route linking Dundalk to Sligo, taking in Cavan, involve linking elements of the national road network and regional roads along as direct a route as possible. Such a route is recommended in the National Spatial Strategy as a strategic national transport corridor. Essentially the route involves upgrade/realignment works on the regional routes from Dundalk to Cavan and on national routes from Cavan to Sligo. The latter would involve a route that passes through Northern Ireland. The improvement and maintenance of regional and local roads, in its area, is a statutory function of each road authority in accordance with the provisions of section 13 of the Roads Act, 1993. Works on such roads are a matter for the relevant local authority to be funded from its own resources supplemented by State road grants.

Funding of the national roads sections of the route are a matter for the National Roads Authority (NRA) under the Roads Acts 1993 to 2007 in conjunction with the local authorities concerned.
    As Minister for Transport, I have responsibility for overall policy and funding in relation to the national roads programme element of Transport 21.
    Cavan County Council was allocated €600,000 in 2010 from the grant stream for Strategic Regional and Local Roads, to progress design and planning work on the section of road from Dundalk to Cavan. The Council’s consultant has identified a route corridor and is now carrying out a constraints study so that a specific route alignment can be selected. It is also part of the consultant’s brief to indicate what priority should be given to different sections of the road between Dundalk and Cavan.

Separately, the NRA has been asked to review investment needs for the national roads network into the future. This review is being carried out based on a commitment in the Renewed Programme for Government agreed in October last year. Its scope includes all matters surrounding national road development such as cross-section and routing. Progress on particular road schemes in 2011, and later years, will be dependent on the outcome of this review and the availability of funds within a reduced capital budget.
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2010-10-19.1503.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

Just blowing the post Xmas cobwebs off this thread. Have been hearing rumours and talk of this road starting sometime this year, mainly from friends laid off in construction work eager to see this commence for a bit of work, but can only find local news reports from a couple of months back on this.

During the December shopping rush to Dundalk, it felt like the car was going to fall apart because of the quality of the route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

the minister of transport made a statement on the matter

Now former Minister for Transport:
    Noel Dempsey, Dermot Ahern and Tony Killeen have joined Mary Harney in resigning from Cabinet.

A spokesman for the Taoiseach confirmed this evening that he had received letters of resignation from the three.

The ministers had already announced that they are not to contest the general election.

Their letters are to be forwarded to the President who will formally accept the resignations.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0119/harneym.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Spike_irl

INFO MEETING ON EAST WEST CORRIDOR

03 February 2011
    A public consultation on the route of the East West Corridor will take place this evening in Dundalk.
    The route will be on display at the Louth County Council buildings from 3 - 8pm.
    Local Councillor Tomas Sharkey is encouraging people to attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Spike_irl wrote: »
    INFO MEETING ON EAST WEST CORRIDOR

03 February 2011
    A public consultation on the route of the East West Corridor will take place this evening in Dundalk.
    The route will be on display at the Louth County Council buildings from 3 - 8pm.
    Local Councillor Tomas Sharkey is encouraging people to attend.

...and here's a PDF giving an indication of the route that may be used between Cavan and Dundalk:

http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Louth_County_Council/General_Notices/Cavan-_Carrickmacross-_Dundalk_Route_Improvement_Strategy_.pdf

Will be interesting to see if the entire route from Sligo to Dundalk will be designated as a National Primary Route...

...we'll just have to wait and see...

thought I'd copy and paste this from tender watch just to update the thread with the progress!
    Thursday 22nd March 2012 - 1 Notice:

1) Tender: Cavan to Dundalk Strategic Route Improvement Scheme – Topographical Survey Contract (Cavan CC).

#1 - Last year, l drove a section of the R178 from near the village of Louth towards Carrickmacross and discovered, to my complete surprise, a newly built section of Single Type 1 - yes, it had hard shoulders and all. The section in question must have been around 2km in length. From Dundalk, the R178 continues via Carrickmacross towards Shercock before dipping down towards Bailieborough. Backtracking to Shercock, the R162/R192 leads from there towards Cootehill and from there, the R188 leads on to Cavan Town. I wonder is this the route the local authorities (Louth/Monaghan/Cavan CCs) have in mind.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The R192 from the junction just outside Shercock with the road to Castleblayney for about 3km would resemble a particularly tricky engineering challenge for the finances such a route will have but the most difficult overall stretch in terms of road improvements needed would be Carrick to Shercock. The busiest stretch with most value for money improvements for people would probably be the Dundalk to Carrick road (R178). The R188 from Cootehill to Cavan is generally of an okay standard and only needs substantial remediation work going through the forested part or on the approaches to Drung and Tullyvin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Louth_County_Council/Latest_News/Cavan_Dundalk_Strategic_Route_Improvement_Strategy.html

In February 2011 a series of Public Information Events took place to brief interested parties on the process of developing an improvement strategy for the road linking Cavan and Dundalk via Cootehill, Shercock and Carrickmacross. Previous studies and policy documents have highlighted the need for improved road infrastructure in the Border Region as being a vital factor for future economic development and the Cavan to Dundalk route has been identified as strategically important in this regard. Cavan County Council, in conjunction with Monaghan County Council and Louth County Council, have been progressing the process to advance the improvement of the Regional Roads that form this strategic route. A series of further Public Information Events are now planned in order to present the developing preliminary design proposals for the required upgrade. The dates and times are as follows (3pm to 8pm in each case): Tues 17th April 2012 Civic Offices, Carrickmacross Wed 18th April 2012 Errigal Hotel, Cootehill Thurs 19th April 2012 Crowne Plaza Hotel, Dundalk Improvements are proposed to some 60km of the total route length, key elements being the elimination of sub-standard sections of road, particularly those with bad accident records, and the provision of additional safe overtaking opportunities. Some sections of existing road will be widened and other sections will be replaced by new section of road. Forward visibility, road pavement quality and signing and lining will all be improved along the full length of the route, as will facilities for pedestrians and cyclists. These improvements, which will be implemented in a phased manner, will lead to shorter and more reliable journey times, reduced accidents and provide a consistent road standard along the entire route. At present there is no proposed timescale for construction owing to the on-going uncertainties in respect of funding. Over the coming months the following activities will be carried out • On-site surveys to collect detailed topographic, geotechnical and environmental data • Detailed development of the design proposals to facilitate future Part 8 planning procedures which will be carried out on a phased basis as funding becomes available. The purpose of the forthcoming Public Information Sessions is to present engineering drawings and other relevant information showing the developing preliminary design proposals for the required upgrade within the relevant county area. Council Officials and their consultants will be in attendance to answer any questions which may arise. An information leaflet will also be made available. All members of the public, who may be interested in or affected by the proposals, are invited to attend the Public Information Session relevant to their area.

Following the Public Information Sessions the information leaflet referred to above can be viewed by visiting the County Councils’ websites:

For County Cavan: www.cavancoco.ie
    For County Monaghan : www.monaghan.ie
    For County Louth: www.louthcoco.ie

this whole project seems to be going nowhere and Minister Ross has no interest in even giving the smallest funding for any part of it.

2 years ago there was a small Dail debate and Mr Ross basically said that he has requests from all over the country and theres no money and there will be no money.
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2017-02-08/16/

More recently, last May (referencing the section from Cavan to Dundalk):
    The Minister said 'the regional road aspect of the proposal, the improvement and maintenance of regional and local roads in its area is a statutory function of local authorities in accordance with the provisions of Section 13 of the Roads Act.'

'Works on such roads are a matter for the relevant local authority to be funded from its own resources supplemented by State road grants.'
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/argus/news/renewed-appeals-for-dundalksligo-route-37047459.html

In a more recent debate in June, Mr Ross just goes on about random road projects generally north of a line between Galway and Dublin, including the A5 upgrade to Derry, as what he is doing for the area.
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2018-06-12/17/

Im half thinking the only way forward would be a change of tack and get the Cavan-Dundalk stretch upgraded from Regional to National Secondary, but looking at the Enniskillen-Sligo road even being graded as a national primary doesn't guarantee a decent stretch of road.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

this whole project seems to be going nowhere and Minister Ross has no interest in even giving the smallest funding for any part of it.

2 years ago there was a small Dail debate and Mr Ross basically said that he has requests from all over the country and theres no money and there will be no money.
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2017-02-08/16/

More recently, last May (referencing the section from Cavan to Dundalk):

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/argus/news/renewed-appeals-for-dundalksligo-route-37047459.html

In a more recent debate in June, Mr Ross just goes on about random road projects generally north of a line between Galway and Dublin, including the A5 upgrade to Derry, as what he is doing for the area.
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2018-06-12/17/

Im half thinking the only way forward would be a change of tack and get the Cavan-Dundalk stretch upgraded from Regional to National Secondary, but looking at the Enniskillen-Sligo road even being graded as a national primary doesn't guarantee a decent stretch of road.
    Dreadful, but typical of this current government. Neglect the parts that have already been neglected.

In fact the Carrickmacross to Shercock stretch has been as bad as it has ever been even though the traffic on this road has more or less tripled over the past years at peak times. I do Dundalk to East Cavan on a daily basis and the trucks on this route are barely able to squeeze past passenger cars never mind their counterparts.

So much for linking our supposed new urban regional centres... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭roadmaster

cournioni wrote: »
    Dreadful, but typical of this current government. Neglect the parts that have already been neglected.

In fact the Carrickmacross to Shercock stretch has been as bad as it has ever been even though the traffic on this road has more or less tripled over the past years at peak times. I do Dundalk to East Cavan on a daily basis and the trucks on this route are barely able to squeeze past passenger cars never mind their counterparts.

So much for linking our supposed new urban regional centres... :rolleyes:

I actually think people in urban areas dont understand how busy these roads are especially with HGV'S due to the agri Industry. You are right about the carrick shercock road it is in bits

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Advertisement