Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East-West, Sligo-Dundalk Upgrade Scheme

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

This does not relate directly to the East-West Link which is the subject of this thread but seems relevant to it. Mods could move this post if they feel it belongs elsewhere.

Monaghan CoCo last week issued a tender for Consultancy Services for the Realignment of the R181;

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/190315/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

This appears to be a standalone project, rather than part of a wider cross country route. The R181 seems like an odd road for them to want to upgrade, I would have thought the R190 would be a more strategic route and more heavily trafficked. An upgrade of the R190 and R188 would be a huge boost to the region, I'd even suggest that the route could even become a National Secondary as an extension of the N53. Looking at the R181 in isolation seems a bit pointless and I cant see much funding being made available for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    This does not relate directly to the East-West Link which is the subject of this thread but seems relevant to it. Mods could move this post if they feel it belongs elsewhere.

Monaghan CoCo last week issued a tender for Consultancy Services for the Realignment of the R181;

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/190315/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

This appears to be a standalone project, rather than part of a wider cross country route. The R181 seems like an odd road for them to want to upgrade, I would have thought the R190 would be a more strategic route and more heavily trafficked. An upgrade of the R190 and R188 would be a huge boost to the region, I'd even suggest that the route could even become a National Secondary as an extension of the N53. Looking at the R181 in isolation seems a bit pointless and I cant see much funding being made available for it.

It's probably to do with the heavy liquid milk transportation on that road to lough egish , Glanbia and Lakeland have built new dryers there over the last few years with more on the way. You also have some of the largest cold stores in europe based In lough egish I believe

Advertisement