Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-07-2010, 04:37   #1
darkman2
Banned

Turning warm but mostly cloudy

So a cloudy warm is coming - sunny breaks at times - temperatures reaching maybe 26C in some places.

It is wrong to criticise MT. He gives alot to this forum of his own time - and frankly how dare anyone question his forecasts or his competency in this area. How in tune are the posters that criticise? Not very much I would suggest.

But we are here all the same to try and explain why certain things happen. I hope we do that as best we can.

WE ARE NOT MYSTIC MEGS - sometimes we are wrong.

But MT has far more experience then anyone here - so might I and others warn of an event - he is always there before hand to say it could happen. And I think his contribution to our forum is wonderful and I really appreciate it. He has the foremost skill and says it as it is. Bare in mind we are evaluating computer models. Nothing more.

Last edited by darkman2; 24-07-2010 at 04:47.
Advertisement
24-07-2010, 07:09   #2
yogidc26

Thanks Darkman2

I haven't read the post's you are talking about but for any to speak bad of MT is wrong he gives one of the best forcasts for this little island and he's not even on it. Some people just have nothing better to do
24-07-2010, 08:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkman2 View Post
So a cloudy warm is coming - sunny breaks at times - temperatures reaching maybe 26C in some places.

It is wrong to criticise MT. He gives alot to this forum of his own time - and frankly how dare anyone question his forecasts or his competency in this area. How in tune are the posters that criticise? Not very much I would suggest.

But we are here all the same to try and explain why certain things happen. I hope we do that as best we can.

WE ARE NOT MYSTIC MEGS - sometimes we are wrong.

But MT has far more experience then anyone here - so might I and others warn of an event - he is always there before hand to say it could happen. And I think his contribution to our forum is wonderful and I really appreciate it. He has the foremost skill and says it as it is. Bare in mind we are evaluating computer models. Nothing more.
Was someone criticising MT? Where?
24-07-2010, 09:41   #4
weisses

I dunno which posts you talk about either .... But if he makes wrong forecasts ... and that happens sometimes .... he gets criticized ...same as ME would be and has on these forums ... he is not some kind of weather god (he was wrong on my location yesterday )

The problem is (i think) that a lot of forecasting is to general and Ireland is not a country for general forecasting

I appreciate a lot what he does ... no discussion there

Last edited by weisses; 24-07-2010 at 11:37. Reason: typo
24-07-2010, 09:53   #5
jambofc

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisses View Post
he is not some kind of weather god
now you've gone and burst my bubble.....
i suppose you're the type that goes around telling people that Santa doesn't exist as well.
Advertisement
24-07-2010, 10:32   #6
owenc
Banned

Well, i'm sorry but i'd have to agree with them, i can't see 29c ever being reached at all. The met office are forecasting 16/17c all weeks now that is way off 29c and i doubt a national forecast center would get that even marginally wrong. Aswell as that if we have achieved 2c yesterday then that shows things are cooling down.
24-07-2010, 10:34   #7
Pangea

Its a rotten day here in Donegal, floods!
Thanks from:
24-07-2010, 10:52   #8
Storm 10

It is very wrong to say anything against MT I have not seen that post either, MT gives us a lot of very accurate forecasts here and its greatly appreciated.

The Met Office are the ones who I think got it very wrong, last Sunday for the week ahead the said that a high pressure would move up and would not break down giving good weather, even last night they said we were in for a good week, however I heard Evelyn on Newstalk this morning and she said we would have rain on and off and Monday would be the best day so who do we beleive ?????????
24-07-2010, 11:17   #9
owenc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm 10 View Post
It is very wrong to say anything against MT I have not seen that post either, MT gives us a lot of very accurate forecasts here and its greatly appreciated.

The Met Office are the ones who I think got it very wrong, last Sunday for the week ahead the said that a high pressure would move up and would not break down giving good weather, even last night they said we were in for a good week, however I heard Evelyn on Newstalk this morning and she said we would have rain on and off and Monday would be the best day so who do we beleive ?????????
No the uk met office would be more accurate than the irish one, the irish one can be about 5c down and the uk one like 1 or 2c down. The ones on netweather are forecasting 24c for the south east that says it all...

Last edited by owenc; 24-07-2010 at 11:23.
Advertisement
24-07-2010, 11:35   #10
weisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambofc View Post
i suppose you're the type that goes around telling people that Santa doesn't exist as well.

now you've gone and burst my bubble.....
Thanks from:
24-07-2010, 11:44   #11
up for anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
i doubt a national forecast center would get that even marginally wrong.

Two words. Michael Fish.
(2) thanks from:
24-07-2010, 11:53   #12
pauldry

It is quite difficult in Ireland to predict when warm weather will happen and MT does a damn good job. Hes righter than any of the mets and us lot. He must be a fast typer too coz it takes me ages to write even this amount of sentences.

Mild and misty northwest means at least there wont be any mosquitos here like there was on my holidays. I hates those things
Thanks from:
24-07-2010, 11:53   #13
owenc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by up for anything View Post
Two words. Michael Fish.
Hes on netweather you want me to go over and tell him that.
24-07-2010, 12:11   #14
maquiladora

The GFS can often be around 2 degrees off. For Monday alone its showing 24 for parts, which could translate to up to 26 in reality. Not much point looking at the gfs or any model too closely beyond a few days as the output can change hugely from run to run the further you look.
24-07-2010, 12:14   #15
owenc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maquiladora View Post
The GFS can often be around 2 degrees off. For Monday alone its showing 24 for parts, which could translate to up to 26 in reality. Not much point looking at the gfs or any model too closely beyond a few days as the output can change hugely from run to run the further you look.
Yes but that is the only day that is warm after that it is like 17c and mt thinks its going to be 25c.. he says 25c for tomorrow while the gfs shows 17c you can't add 8c to that! Then on friday he says 27c and the gfs has 14c the temp can't rise a whole 13c above what the gfs says especially with cloud, i don't know what hes using but i'm sorry its really wrong.

Last edited by owenc; 24-07-2010 at 12:18.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion