Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-07-2010, 09:34   #1

Heatwave for end of July?

Joe Bastardai thinks so (below). Tail end of GFS output agrees that high pressure will be in place over the UK and Ireland.

SUNDAY 8 PM LONDON TIME

Major heat on the way for much of northwest europe last week to 10 days of the month
We have 2 systems that are rolling through the next 10 days to bring rainfall and lower temps to the northwest but be prepared.. the last 10 days or so of the month are liable to see the center of some 1st class heat develop over the northwest again.. as it is, much of central europe into northwest Russia is very warm anyway.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-07-2010, 10:04   #2
DOCARCH

Probably for everywhere in Europe except Ireland!
12-07-2010, 10:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCARCH View Post
Probably for everywhere in Europe except Ireland!
you sound like owen now docarch.

If it does transpire then the rain we have/will have between now and then will have been vital in keeping drinking water levels up. Joe Bastardi may be wrong but I hope not.
12-07-2010, 10:49   #4
lord lucan

I hope he's right. Rain was badly needed in many areas but a little sunshine wouldn't go amiss now.

Can't be bad for the economy either. When the weather was good i noticed that the BBQ's were out in force,people were buying a lot more food and drink. People were also out a lot more. I was out in Howth one of the hot weekends and the place was hopping. Chippers had ques out the door and the little market was doing a roaring trade. A friend of mine brought their kids to the zoo and said it was packed,never seen it so busy.

Contrast that with the weekend just gone. Saturday it was raining here in Dublin all day. I had plans to go out but ended up staying in. There was feck all at Croker to see the Dubs(doesn't help that they're poor atm too),the poor weather putting many off going. I've no statistical evidence for it but it seems that the good weather means people spend more than normal which is all good for an economy still wobbling badly.
12-07-2010, 10:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord lucan View Post
Contrast that with the weekend just gone. Saturday it was raining here in Dublin all day. I had plans to go out but ended up staying in. There was feck all at Croker to see the Dubs(doesn't help that they're poor atm too),the poor weather putting many off going. I've no statistical evidence for it but it seems that the good weather means people spend more than normal which is all good for an economy still wobbling badly.
Dont worry, there were a bunch of people in Punchestown propping the economy up with very overpriced food and drink, and the sale of ponchos

I think you're right though, I didnt leave the house on saturday at all, horrible day, hoping for a few more weeks of summer, not after blaring sunshine, but some settled weather would be welcome
Advertisement
12-07-2010, 11:07   #6
lord lucan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stee View Post
Dont worry, there were a bunch of people in Punchestown propping the economy up with very overpriced food and drink, and the sale of ponchos
I'd forgotten about Oxygen! Ah still,they hope for bad weather so they can role around in the mud!
12-07-2010, 11:14   #7

I did mention on another thread that things looked like setting again from 20th, the GSF on wetternzentrale looks very promising.
12-07-2010, 11:18   #8
Min

Plenty of rain now and then a nice hot spell, with later on some thunderstorms to just keep the ground from drying out too much = perfect.
12-07-2010, 12:35   #9
DOCARCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfeIRE View Post
you sound like owen now docarch.
Advertisement
12-07-2010, 12:39   #10

Will welcome a couple of weeks of 25c plus. All the better if there are plenty of thunderstorms thrown in too. Still, I think this current spell of wet weather should be embraced.
12-07-2010, 12:49   #11

any prolonged dry weather won't improve situation in clare

this story just came out. clare soil moisture deficit levels are the worst in Ireland, according to ME.

Water Conservation Measures Remain In Place In Clare

Clare County Council announced today that despite the rainfall in the last week, water supply to consumers continues to be vulnerable.

The local authority says a hose pipe ban introduced two weeks ago in the Ennis area, North Clare and Tulla will remain in force until further notice.

Most water supply sources throughout the County remain at low levels while there is still a considerable soil moisture deficit.

According to David Timlin, Director of Environmental and Water Services: “While the weather forecast is for unsettled weather in the next few days, we still require significant rainfall in the medium term. The Council urges all consumers to continue to save water and be prudent in its use.”

Mr. Timlin continued: "It is too early to relax our guard, even though the overall situation for water supply has improved slightly. I urge all public water supply and group water scheme consumers to use water wisely. The Council appreciates the efforts made by everybody to reduce consumption to date. Thanks to your co-operation, it has not been necessary to impose significant shut-offs in any supplies in the past fortnight, other than for a small number of localised maintenance operations."
Thanks from:
12-07-2010, 13:21   #12

With the current setup the way it is, I reckon what may happen is that over the next week or so, the north Atlantic upper vortex, which is feeding a warm southwesterly airflow over the continent, consolidating the Euro High there, could spawn an upper cut off low, which will head south towards Iberia. An Omega block forms, with the Euro High retrograding westwards over the North Sea. This setup feeds warm moist southeasterlies towards Ireland, giving us the Spanish plume we all crave.
(3) thanks from:
12-07-2010, 13:25   #13
km79

for us mere mortals does that mean sun or rain
12-07-2010, 13:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by km79 View Post
for us mere mortals does that mean sun or rain
Warm and sunny with all nasty rain fronts knocking on the door but not being allowed in.
Thanks from:
12-07-2010, 13:42   #15
km79

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion