Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Heavy rain in Midlands and East this evening, risk of lightning

• 10-07-2010 10:42am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looks like some maybe very heavy rain for a time in some parts this evening with a risk of thunderstorms developing. Could lead to some spot flooding.

Rtavn124.png

Rtavn1211.png

The Midlands and East look most at risk but most places will see heavy rain at times later today and overnight. The lot pushing North over night.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Yes the bbc show big massive green spots coming over me so maybe some thunder storms tonight, but that rain on the radar dosen't look too heavy. Lets hope so it would get rid of the boring weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Any idea what time this is expected to clear ??

I don't wanna get saturated at Oxegen !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

It srianing very heavy here in Offaly for the past hour.

WOnder is this it that was due this evening? No sign of it easing looks like today is going to be a day for the bed here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Heavest rain will over the eastern half of the country this evening, roughly between 3 and 9 ish. Fairly good chance there will be some thunder mixed in there too. Horrible conditions for July.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,572 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Possible Thunder?!:):):):):):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Also watch out for tornados! :)

http://www.torro.org.uk/site/forecast.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Met Eireann's 18Z aviation Significant Weather chart has some isolated embedded thunderstorms in an area covering all of the country. The only mention of thunderstorms for any of the TAFs for the 13 airports on the island is for Galway, from 15Z.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Bucketing down here now. If today's heavy rain isn't enough for you.
    The good news is that next Tuesday and into Wednesday we should have an area of Low Pressure moving in right over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭woysworld

Su Campu wrote: »
    Met Eireann's 18Z aviation Significant Weather chart has some isolated embedded thunderstorms in an area covering all but the extreme west of the country. The only mention of thunderstorms for any of the TAFs for the 13 airports on the island is for Galway, from 15Z.

was raining this morning in Dublin... its stopped now and fairly warm...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Bucketing down here now. If today's heavy rain isn't enough for you.
    The good news is that next Tuesday and into Wednesday we should have an area of Low Pressure moving in right over us.

Strange its bone dry here and the radar shows again its missing us. seems really to be moving NE up from Cork/Kerry!

• Advertisement

Its ment to be thundery around about 9pm here, i hope i get it like the time the electricity was cut out and it lasted 3 hours into the morning, it was worst ever thunderstorm in northern ireland i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

We had some very heavy rain from around 11.30 to 13.30 today, but has since died off. No thundery storms either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 CJWRC94

Next Thursday looks to be the best day for convective activity this summer , we better just wait and hope GFS doesn't decide to change it's mind.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

in fairness i think the west of Ireland has seen only a fraction of the rain that the east has seen over the past 3 days, water levels must be back to normal here now.

Gonzo wrote: »
    in fairness i think the west of Ireland has seen only a fraction of the rain that the east has seen over the past 3 days, water levels must be back to normal here now.

Apparently the east has had the most rain but i haven't had much rain infact its dry again and last night was just drizzle again! I really want a thunderstorm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Been raining here in the Midlands since early afternoon, after a long day of rain yesterday too. :(

And i think i heard a rumble of thunder just now, but it could have been a truck passing!. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

owenc wrote: »
    Its ment to be thundery around about 9pm here, i hope i get it like the time the electricity was cut out and it lasted 3 hours into the morning, it was worst ever thunderstorm in northern ireland i think.

You mustn't have been around in 1985 then.

Not near you but there is some lightening strikes poping up on the south west coast of the island, lets hope that they cover the whole island by tonight!

djhaxman wrote: »
    You mustn't have been around in 1985 then.

Obviously not!! lol. That night cut off thousands of homes of power. Met office warning out YAY!

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Been raining here in the Midlands since early afternoon, after a long day of rain yesterday too. :(

And i think i heard a rumble of thunder just now, but it could have been a truck passing!. :D

Well maybe , lightning detectors have picked up a few strikes , but they all seem to well of the west coast , a good sign all the same , it will be later this evening the real thunder risk arrives and it will mainly the east/northeast aswell.

• Advertisement

CJWRC94 wrote: »
    Well maybe , lightning detectors have picked up a few strikes , but they all seem to well of the west coast , a good sign all the same , it will be later this evening the real thunder risk arrives and it will mainly the east/northeast aswell.

Yay all coming for me! Which thingy do you suggest would be best to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

A kite with a key on the end, recreate an old experiment. ;)

djhaxman wrote: »
    A kite with a key on the end, recreate an old experiment. ;)

Naw i won't be doing that i'm not stupid. Are you trying to kill me.!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

rain has started here, hope there is a storm tonight!

Well for you I'd advise this one: http://sproule.co.uk/weather/svlightning.html

Im going to mainly use this one: http://www.corklightning.com/

Might be good to see stuff coming from the south.

EDIT: Anybody in Clare seen anything , first strike onland according to that cork detector

CJWRC94 wrote: »
    Well for you I'd advise this one: http://sproule.co.uk/weather/svlightning.html

Im going to mainly use this one: http://www.corklightning.com/

Might be good to see stuff coming from the south.

EDIT: Anybody in Clare seen anything , first strike onland according to that cork detector

Ok i shall use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Weather Warning

Issued at 10 July 2010 - 14:30
    Updated Weather Alert for heavy rain.
    The humid conditions will persist until late tonight and will give further heavy and thundery downpours in many areas.
    Totals of 25 to 40 mm are expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I heard a rumble of thunder here in galway city there a while ago. It must have been that strike that was detected in Clare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

The frontal boundary is approaching the East coast now hitting that humid air on this side of the country. I suspect the radar will be igniting shortly...keep an eye out here.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

When you see the yellows, light pinks, and reds indicating heavy rain from now on chances are there will be thunder and lightning aswell. Also keep an eye off the South coast too. Some beefy echos in the last two hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SexVicar

darkman2 wrote: »
    The frontal boundary is approaching the East coast now hitting that humid air on this side of the country. I suspect the radar will be igniting shortly...keep an eye out here.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

When you see the yellows, light pinks, and reds indicating heavy rain from now on chances are there will be thunder and lightning aswell. Also keep an eye off the South coast too. Some beefy echos in the last two hours.

Isn't that a bit presumptuous? There has been barely any sunshine and mostly overcast on the East Coast as well today as well and that was one of the indicators MT mentioned in his forecast last night. There just hasn't been the heating and convection needed for the spark you seem to be predicting. As well, the last GFS run changed where the majority of insatiability would be and it indicates more that the West/North Midlands will pick up the brunt of it into NI for this evening. Plus, it was mentioned that the primary hours for anything building would be 1500 to 1700 and only Galway and the West Midlands seems to have gotten anything like the GFS predicted.

Your forecasts are helpful, but you seem a bit overboard at times wishing for thunder (Not that thats a bad thing).

Advertisement