Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-06-2010, 11:16   #1
JayeL

Google Street View now available for Republic of Ireland!

Just saw the little orange man staying orange over Dublin in Google Maps. I dragged him out and sure enough, Google seems to have activated random spots around the country for Street View. Very sporadic, seems to be only one photo every 10 kms or so.

Are they testing it, preparing for a full launch or is it all just a mistake? Who knows, Google move in mysterious ways!

p.s. Couldn't look at the imagery myself as I don't have Flash 9 on my work PC so not even sure it works.....
Advertisement
16-06-2010, 11:17   #2
cml387

Nope,they are photos submitted by the public.Anyone can do it.
16-06-2010, 11:18   #3
Danbo!

Unfortunately its just geo-tagged images from the web from joe public, rather than street view cars.
16-06-2010, 11:20   #4
Sponge Bob
Banned

Not streetview, they are geocoded snapshots scraped from various photo sites. Well spotted though
16-06-2010, 12:38   #5
DWCommuter
Closed Account

Why havent they introduced street view in Ireland? They had enough cameras out working last year.
Advertisement
16-06-2010, 15:39   #6
dubhthach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWCommuter View Post
Why havent they introduced street view in Ireland? They had enough cameras out working last year.
Maybe they deleted the photos along with the wireless data they collected illegally
17-06-2010, 10:55   #7
SeanW

Huh?

BTW I was very bored one night so I tested out Google Street View at the Irish/NI border. You can see into the Republic from a number of border crossing, and I think that the Google SV vans actually started taking snaps in the republic as well, albeit only a few meters on the Irish side.
17-06-2010, 11:01   #8
actuallylike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanW View Post
Huh?

BTW I was very bored one night so I tested out Google Street View at the Irish/NI border. You can see into the Republic from a number of border crossing, and I think that the Google SV vans actually started taking snaps in the republic as well, albeit only a few meters on the Irish side.
They've already mapped a lot of the republic, the vans were seen driving around well over a year ago. They just haven't uploaded them yet.
I hope the inflatable penis I had in my window shows up! (It was there for street view...honestly )
(3) thanks from:
18-06-2010, 02:41   #9
banquo

Send a message via Skype™ to banquo
Dying to play around with this. Get on it, google!
Advertisement
09-07-2010, 09:43   #10
irishdub14
Closed Account

Looks like we'll have street view next week!

http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/
09-07-2010, 11:00   #11
Sponge Bob
Banned

which bit of "driving" needs explaining ????

Dublin Dublin South West
Donegal Letterkenny, Buncrana, Derrybeg, Donegal Town, Ballyshannon
Sligo Cliffoney, Sligo
Leitrim Ballinagrelah
Cavan Cavan West
Louth Dundalk
Monaghan Carrickmacross
Kildare Newbridge
Wicklow Stratford on Slaney
Kerry Killarney
Limerick Limerick West
To find out more about where we're driving get in touch or learn more about how Street View works and how we protect privacy you can do so here: streetview-europe@google.com
09-07-2010, 11:10   #12
Danbo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdub14 View Post
Looks like we'll have street view next week!

http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/
Looks more like we'll have the cars on the the streets again next week, rather than streetview being available. Damn.
10-07-2010, 23:29   #13
Danno

According to an article in today's indo, it will all be up by the end of 2010 after google satisfied the authorities over wifi data gatering.
11-07-2010, 13:54   #14
John Lynch Ph.D

Quote:
In May we announced that we had mistakenly included code in our software in Street View cars that collected WiFi payload data.
Haha, no mistake, in case it wasn't obvious enough. I know for a fact it was actually the primary purpose, payload is the actual data been sent, so as you can imagine collecting this would be a far greater exercise then simply collecting data about wifi locations, not something you do by mistake.

It is the PRIMARY reason for google street view. the pictures are just an excuse.
11-07-2010, 14:02   #15
unit 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lynch Ph.D View Post
Haha, no mistake, in case it wasn't obvious enough. I know for a fact it was actually the primary purpose, payload is the actual data been sent, so as you can imagine collecting this would be a far greater exercise then simply collecting data about wifi locations, not something you do by mistake.

It is the PRIMARY reason for google street view. the pictures are just an excuse.
I'm a bit stretched understanding some of this new technology, could you expand a bit on your theory, and does it fall into the "if you are doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about category", or is there a corporate greed for data basis to it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion