Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladies Only Introduction to Lifting

• 11-06-2010 8:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭

So in this thread I promised to try and organise a ladies' only lifting session so give some of the girls here (lurkers and posters like!) a chance to make themselves more comfortable with the fairly daunting task of lifting weights.

I'm a huge advocate of weights for weight loss, fitness and general well-being, and I'd love to give some women the confidence to be able to go into the gym and hold their own alongside the guys. The truth is, by and large, women take to weights a lot quicker than guys do - we tend to have better kinesthetic awareness (we instinctually understand the way our bodies move and how to move them), our flexibility tends to be a little better and we stand to gain an awful lot from being stronger (not bigger, just stronger - try as we might the getting bigger bit just doesn't happen to our testosterone-deprived forms :D).

So, the good folk at RAW gym in Portobello, Dublin 2 have very, very kindly offered to let us have free access to their gym on Saturday 19th June from 12pm onwards - RAW is an excellent gym with all the free-weight facilities you could possibly need as well as a plentiful supply of cardio machines and classes*. So what better place to get comfortable with the bar than here, in a safe, controlled environment under the watchful eye of yours truly :D

We'll be going through some barbell basics and concentrating on some compound lifts that will give you the best bang for your buck for all your fitness and weight loss goals. We'll also go through some core-work and exercises to help trouble-shoot some common problem area. If anyone has any specific requests for exercises they'd like to know about just shout!

This introductory session is completely free, just let me know on-thread if you're available and if you'd like to take part and I'll answer any questions that you guys have.

[I'm also trying to organise an Introduction to Olympic Lifting but I have to confirm the venue for this and hopefully I'll have it up and running in the coming weeks]

*they even have a tyre to flip - FUUUUUNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sign me up! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

same here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I would love to do this! I have plans for that afternoon though :(

How long do you think the session will be, g'em?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

It'll probably be a couple of hours - I want to make the most of the free space while I can :D But it will essentially be as long as everyone wants it to be.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Or until we collapse? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

g'em wrote: »
    It'll probably be a couple of hours - I want to make the most of the free space while I can :D But it will essentially be as long as everyone wants it to be.
    Dammit, I'll have to miss it so :mad::(

It sounds amazing though. If you ever do a second one, I'd be very interested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

This sounds great, I would LOVE to come along! :D

Little bit of background: went from training as a professional dancer to working behind a desk (studio desk so fun though!) and running own business. Got a car, got lazy and stupidly let my flexibility and fitness disappear :(

7 years later precious little time off to exercise combined with laziness has turned me from a super fit and toned size 6/8 to a podgy out of shape 10 :( Doesnt sound bad but I feel unhealthy and I really miss being fit, strong and flexy!

Also the ladies in my family are prone to knee and other joint issues that I'd really like to avoid ;) and my back is starting to hurt from crappy posture :rolleyes:

yay exciting! :D

What do we need to bring/wear/etc? thanks so much for organising this you're a star!

Ginny wrote: »
    Or until we collapse? :D
    or that too :pac:
    Hermione* wrote: »
    It sounds amazing though. If you ever do a second one, I'd be very interested!
    Cool - if there's a demand for another one (and I can get a venue again!) then I'll definitely do it another time :)
    Molberts wrote: »
    What do we need to bring/wear/etc?
    Just bring yourself and a bottle of water! Clothes wise be comfortable and don't wear anything restrictive or conversely too loose - a fitted t-shirt and loose tracksuit bottoms or yoga pants would be ideal, or the same kind of clothes you'd wear to an aerobic class. We'll be squatting so anything that gives you a builder's crack wouldn't be ideal :D

Regular trainers are fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Brilliant idea and brilliant offer G'em. Knowing women who've gone the weights route it can make a big diff, plus builds bone density which can be a problem for women and increases production of human growth hormone which is good for all sorts of stuff including keeping skin looking better.

I can endorse this 100% knowing as Im not a lady, my lazy bum cant be pressganged into it :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

This sounds just brilliant! Please sign me up. Thanks a million for organising this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

Would love to go to this but work saturdays, any chance of a sunday one sometime ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Sounds brilliant, I'd love to avail of it.
    I really need to develop a "core o' steel" to counteract my wonky pelvis.
    Developed spd (symphysis pubis dysfunction) on both pregnancies & the pain continued long after the 2nd one. Got physio about 2 yrs ago - turns out my right hip rides higher which pulls everything out of kilter and which is a major contributing factor to the pelvic pain.
    Started running last Summer and have been having issues with my left calf - and guess what? - most likely because of my wonky pelvis.
    I've done some weight training since January & love it & would love to learn more.
    See you there!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Can we come to play even if we've done plenty of lifting before? :D

Would definitely like to have a look at the olympic lifting one.

Portobello is such a lovely place. What a wonderful choice of venue. :pac: Have always wanted to go into RAW actually.

tempura wrote: »
    Would love to go to this but work saturdays, any chance of a sunday one sometime ?
    Possibly, again it depends on gym availability :)
    Can we come to play even if we've done plenty of lifting before? :D
    I'm going to be a little cheeky and say that I'd ideally like the spaces to go to women who haven't done a lot of lifting before because I don't think there's very much in the way of introduction to lifting classes out there. But if space permits it, no problem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I'd love love love to come if there's still spaces?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I'm in, assuming I'm not working :)

Do you have any idea what time It'll be going until? Just so I can swap shifts if needs be. :)

Cheers G'em, really looking forward to this!

Do you have any idea what time It'll be going until? Just so I can swap shifts if needs be. :)

I think most people will have had enough after a couple of hours :D It'd be fairly safe to assume you'll be done and dusted by 2.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I'd like to come if there are spaces still? I've always avoided weights because I don't know what I'm doing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 JosephineM

Sounds like a great idea and I'd love to come.... I am petrified of the weights section in gym!! But I will be on holidays on that day.... if you are doing another one I would defo go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Fair play to ya g'em this is a really decent thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

This sounds great! Count me in

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smoggy11

I'm in!

If theres no spaces though, or somebody with no experience of weights wants my spot, I will gladly give it up, the more people we can get squatting the better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

I'm not a lady but I'd recommend any lady who is new to weightlifting to go along to this.From being a regular lurker and poster (under a previous username) in the fitness forum for 3+ years, I would recommend G'em to anyone who wants to know a thing or two about fitness.Put simply, she knows her **** when it comes to training.

Partaking in G'em's famous "Boards Fitness Easter Challenge" 2 years ago was, as corny as it may sound, one of the best things that I've ever done for my health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

G'em very kindly organised a day like this in the Trinity gym a couple of years back which I went along to, and I would heartily endorse this product and service :D She's a great teacher and a great motivator, and learning to lift properly can and will do wonderful things for your physique and overall feelings of awesomeness!

I would encourage any ladies interested to do whatever they can to get along to this afternoon, you won't regret it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

This sounds brilliant. I'm away that weekend unfortunately but its a really generous offer Gem.

Have a great day everyone! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Definitely up for this! Something I'm looking to get properly educated about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

smoggy11 wrote: »
    I'm in!

If theres no spaces though, or somebody with no experience of weights wants my spot, I will gladly give it up, the more people we can get squatting the better!

+1, I have done a little & wouldn't like to take the place of someone who needs it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

I'd love to come along if theres room for a newbie! I've lifted a bit before with a personal trainer but would love to learn more, plus, i've always wanted to go to RAW gym but never plucked up the courage!
    And G'em, as a long time lurker, you really do know your stuff, thanks for organizing this! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Lola87

If there's still places I'd love to come too :)

• Advertisement

Girls I'm absolutely blown away at the response to this, it's fantastic! :D We've filled up all the spaces now (everyone who's posted to this far has a spot :) ) but the great news is that RAW have very kindly said that they'll let me hold another one of these in the gym in the near future (major kudos to the lads there, its so generous of them) so I'll put up another date shortly.

Can't wait to see you all next week!

Advertisement