Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Original SFIV = GG or BG?

Options
  • 22-04-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

Right well as we come to the end of the original Street Fighter 4's domination as the main Street Fighter game, as Super SF4 is around the corner, I think this topic is due its own thread!

So what is the community's opinion of the game that has arguably revitalised the fighting game genre?

Good Game Or Bad? 33 votes

My current favourite Street Fighter game.
    0%
    Fantastic addition to the SF series, even if I don't like everything about it. Can't wait for super
    42%
    RopeDrinkbushevad_lhorgJazzyBurning EclipseMonkeytoKirbySairusD4RK ONIONDARK-KNIGHTRed350BourketheJerkDunjohnThe Hound 14 votes
    Only alright, I do get some enjoyment, but I MUCH prefer other SF games
    42%
    CreatureJimayjayirlchopperbyrneK.O.KikiIcarianDoctor DooMSagat06YrevalXlunaSiskoGeneric_name01Ian McTetlyCymatics 14 votes
    Terribly made game , everything about it is awful so I don't play it all.
    15%
    UberPrinny_BaalDreddybajsOwwmykneecapRamzaScavenger XIII 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Well, since its the first FG I've gotten properly into and properly understand, so naturally I like it. Really enjoy playing it. Going back to old games, 3s etc I can see why there's hate. Those games are better imo, but I think the step back SFIV was needed to "save" the genre.

A necessary evil, which I happen to quite enjoy playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Fantastic addition to the SF series, even if I don't like everything about it. Can't wait for super
    I really enjoy it. It totally reinvigerated my love for fighters.
    Up till this point I would dip my beak in every fighter around, but I've never come near to dumping the same amount of hours into any other fighter - online play is obviously a massive factor in this.
    Possibly this is down to going to the actual meetups with yee fellars, but SFIV is the only fighter where I've actually aspired to get really good at it and not just able to use every character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

I'm a massive street fighter fan. I personally was'nt a great fan of three. Like some fans of the series I disliked many of the new characters,and I hated 3rd strikes soundtrack. That said I can still appreciate what a great and well crafted game it is. I don't think any fighting game could truly rekindle the "spirit" of the street fighter 2 sub series but SFIV is doing a fine job. JRPGs aside, it's the best game I've played-until tomorrow week.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

LOL I'll just type what I typed earlier today

Being an avid follower of FGs, I was disappointed with SFIV, but still enjoyed playing it and obviously I was eager to witness the latest and greatest addition to the SF family

I didn't play it much at all at first but I have kind of given it a second chance, given my first impression of it. I'll be honest and say my impressions haven't changed but I do get a kick out of playing it but I don't take it very seriously

My main qualm with SFIV was that it was boring, very boring. And well there's just not a lot of meat to it, let's be honest. You can survive on ok execuion just fine, and mindgames aren't as intense or at all as mentally demanding as other SF titles. It's way too defensive IMO too, with some chars being either ridiculous or pure arse. There's like 3 or 4 things in SFIV you need good execution for and even at that you barely need/see them

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

GG.

If it was 4th strike I wouldn't still be playing it.

I believe it was designed to snare old SF2 players like me so mission accomplished if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Yeah, I've been playing fighting games for two decades now, and played some of them to death, but SFIV is the first I've really made an effort to become good at, to learn the really intricate mechanics and not just basic timing and combo stuff. I downloaded SSF2T HD Remix a couple of weeks ago for a laugh, and I revisited SF3 recently too, and the way I played both games now was completely different to how I used to play them. Like parrying. I think I successfully parried more times in a single half hour of SF3 than I had in the entire months when I played it regularly.

It's not the deepest fighter out there, but it's definitely the most accessible, and that shows in how it's managed to sustain popular interest way longer than games in other genres. I've nothing bad to say about it, except that the animated character intros suck. I even like "Indestructible."

...It is safe to admit that now, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Now to add stuff from that other thread but as this is on topic now we can get into nitty gritty stuff:

Sisko wrote: »
    Sf4 is a damn good game. Yes some people like ST or 3s more but that doesn't take away from the fact that SF4 is still fantastic. Honestly, they could have really made an utter balls of it , things could have gone wrong on so many levels.

I don't think SF4 is perfect , I love 3s and don't think that's perfect either. When it comes down to it, its trendy for some people to say 'SF4 is terrible, but I'll play it cause its the most popular'

It goes with out saying to take that shit with a pinch of salt, cause what they're really saying is "SF4 isn't exactly like [insert fav fighting game] and for that reason I'm not over the moon about it, but I enjoy playing it anyway"

Cause I'll be damned if these people would still actually play it if they hated it and found absolutely no enjoyment from the game, what so ever.

In the end though these people are in the minority and in fact more people who play it think its a good game and play it cause of such, even if they think tis not as good as their fav fighting game.
    Ramza wrote: »
    For me personally I would take the word fantastic and replace it with ok (for me) :)

Like in summary, yeah SFIV is a fun game, and I do enjoy playing it, but I was really disappointed with it when it first came out (and still am). I just don't think it's great/brilliant.

When I bougth SFIV on launch day and played it, I thought the same on my first day of playing that I think now. I just didn't like it (that much). I literally put the game down and didn't touch it for months. And I know a logical response would be "don't play it then". I like it enough to play it, like it's fun, but to me its' disappointing, so take from that what you will

I'm on Ramzas wavelength here, those are my thoughts on SF4 pretty much down to the letter. It's a third place in my biggest disappointments of all time, behind Brawl and SC4.

It did grow on me a bit and I'll admit that on paper it's technically much more fair than most previous SFs, but it just doesn't do it for me and I only really bother with it because nobody plays much of anything else.

Supers coming out at a good time for me to give it another chance though, besides it's not like everyone else is going to suddenly drop it and start playing games I like better.
    D4RK ONION wrote: »
    SF4 has introduced me, a person with no drive or love of fighting games, to a new and awesome community of people. I know for a fact I'm not alone in this, so for that alone (ignoring that it's about as solid as a fighting game can get) it should get props, for introducing so many people to the genre.
    D4RK ONION wrote: »
    it's about as solid as a fighting game can get
    :confused::confused::confused:

Don't just reply to that with a confused smiley, if you think he's wrong, explain why?

I honestly think SFIV was/isn't well received, I'm an avid FG fan/player and I think I speak for a majority when I say SFIV is disappointing to avid FG players

I don't think this is the case and I've heard 3s haters say the same thing about 3s , ST players say the same thing about HDR etc etc

Ok, obviously each their own or whatever but come on, SFIV is a letdown, and you know it is

For you it is, but for me it's a revitalization of SF2, not Super turbo, but the SF2 I loved before everything went to hell in the arcades here.

Is it perfect? No. But it is relatively balanced, to the point where Azza can beat me, I can beat all our local Sagats, etc etc. There's no insurmountable mountains in it, the zoning and mind games are great in it.

Yeah there's silly things in it but it's the first go. But it's not a letdown for me at all. If it was another 3s like game, THEN it would have been a letdown to me, believe it or not.

LOL I'll just type what I typed earlier today

Being an avid follower of FGs, I was disappointed with SFIV, but still enjoyed playing it and obviously I was eager to witness the latest and greatest addition to the SF family

I didn't play it much at all at first but I have kind of given it a second chance, given my first impression of it. I'll be honest and say my impressions haven't changed but I do get a kick out of playing it but I don't take it very seriously

My main qualm with SFIV was that it was boring, very boring. And well there's just not a lot of meat to it, let's be honest. You can survive on ok execuion just fine, and mindgames aren't as intense or at all as mentally demanding as other SF titles. It's way too defensive IMO too, with some chars being either ridiculous or pure arse. There's like 3 or 4 things in SFIV you need good execution for and even at that you barely need/see them

Ah ****e I hoped to have that stuff pasted from the other thread before you got to reply to save you time. But I see you've elaborated on your opinion anyways which is good. I'd even agree with some of what you say but it certainly doesn't effect my enjoyment of the game as much as it does yours/other peoples.

Hate is a strong word so I'll just finish by saying I don't think it's great (but **** off if you think it doesn't give me rights to play it), and a lot of people feel the same way. And incase you haven't noticed the scene is pretty small and finely divided so admit it, if you guys were in my shoes you would still play too :pac:

The end

Agree with you completely there, btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I was/am literally confused, I'm bewildered!

What, you think me hating on SFIV has something to do with me playing other games? My dislike for SFIV comes from SFIV itself. If I never touched a FG before then played SFIV I'd still think the same thing. :pac:

But as you know, SF is a series, and series are meant to be evolutionary, well let's just say SFIV is a devolution for me, and well, sorry to say, a LOT of other people feel the same, SFIV is a letdown
    it certainly doesn't effect my enjoyment of the game as much as it does yours/other peoples.

That's good to hear, people have to realise I'm not trying to undermine anyone's opinion or experience of the game, who am I to do that? If you enjoy the game that's great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

GG.

If it was 4th strike I wouldn't still be playing it.

I believe it was designed to snare old SF2 players like me so mission accomplished if so.

My thoughts exactly.

I think it's got the balance to attract new players and there's def enough depth there to keep the fans happy imo. Granted it may be inferior mechanics wise to third strike but as doom said, maybe some people wouldn't be as interested or still playing if it was.

Truly great game for me. It's been virtually the only game spinning in my Xbox for the last year and with super on the horizon, that'll just take it's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

I only have two issues with this game, shortcuts and auto block. If capcom removed those two things, the game would be perfect in my eyes.

Then again I'm viewing it from the mighty pedestal that is ryu ;)

That's good to hear, people have to realise I'm not trying to undermine anyone's opinion or experience of the game, who am I to do that? If you enjoy the game that's great :)

Oh we all do realise that. I made this thread so people can elaborate on why they do or don't like SF4 or what elements etc.

Its all peoples opinions etc etc.

I naturally would like it to move more towards the pace of 3s. I love both games and theres things about 3s I don't like too.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Remove Guile = perfect game.

Red350 wrote: »
    I only have two issues with this game, shortcuts and auto block. If capcom removed those two things, the game would be perfect in my eyes.

Agree with this and a faster pace more fluid movement speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

Agree with this and a faster pace more fluid movement speed.

Yea definitely. From the small amount of 3rd strike I've played, the faster speed is definitely what I enjoy most about it.

SF A3
    Pro's
    M.Bison is in it. +100 points.
    I'm gonna take you for a ride is not in it. +100
    Indestructable is not in. +100 points.

Con's
    Custom Combo's. -100

ST
    Pro's
    M.Bison is in it. +100 points
    Bison has cape toss intro. +200 points.
    It has the little plane the flys between the countries on the character select screen + 3,000.

Con's
    Old Sagat.
    T.Hawk and T.Hawks stage. -100 points

3rd Strike.
    Q is in it. +100 points.

Con's
    M.Bison is not in it. -100 points.

Street Fighter 4
    M.Bison is in it +100 points.
    Safe Scissor Kick + 200 points.
    People actually play it. +200 points.

Con's
    Guile is in it. -300 points.
    Indestructable is in it -400 points.
    Lariat is in it -600 points.
    Doctor Doom plays Guile in it. -900 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I much prefer HD Remix, because I spent a lot of my childhood kicking around on various versions of SF2 in the arcades/megadrive/snes; and it's kind of like a greatest hits.

My big gripe with SFIV is its "Too many damn buttons" syndrome, and the heavy emphasis on MASSIVE DAMAGE off of one hit.

Wha? doesn't a throw in SF2 rape your life bar? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I love it. Ive only really played sf2 and this. When the arcades died I had no one to play anymore. I had a few sf games and other fighting games over the years but never got into them since playing the single player is ****. People moan about sf4 and its online but its the only reason I got back into it.

Weird that you find SF 2 better, since everyone has a TOD combo in that game.

Oh indeed, if it wasn't for online play I'd have never realised how deep the game was and how fantastic street fighter is. I never got to experience arcades.

Only single player and my friends. Even though I enjoyed it before I really knew what it was about, it was more about the affection I had for it as a game I liekd when I was a child. If I told my 15 year old self that @ 25, I'd be massively into street fighter, my 15 year old self would be like WTF? A 2D game?

I was clueless until the day I found out how to play 3rd Strike online.

Bush80 wrote: »
    I love it. Ive only really played sf2 and this. When the arcades died I had no one to play anymore. I had a few sf games and other fighting games over the years but never got into them since playing the single player is ****. People moan about sf4 and its online but its the only reason I got back into it.

I'm the exact same. I tried quite a few at home but nothing lit the old fire like SF4 did.
    Azza wrote: »

Yeah but there was no intarwebz so no one knew about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Slightly off topic,am I the only person who loved the chain combos,ala Darkstalkers, in SFA 1 and was pissed off them they removed them in Alpha 2 and 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Bearable, but could and should have been so much more.

Bearable, but could and should have been so much more.

Elaborate? What don't you like, what would you want changed to make it .. more bearable? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Azza wrote: »

I think for me it's probably the difference between refining and honing the skills to successfully land and input a TOD combo which seems really difficult; and DP trade -> FADC -> Ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Elaborate?

I would but I'd estimate it's all been said before; annoying shortcuts, ultras too lengthy and poorly balanced against supers (which are next to worthless), not a fan of the focus system or its cancels, hate the overemphasis on learning crazy links... etc.

Oh and they made Guile suck. :pac:

• Advertisement

I agree with some of those things there, cept for the focus system, I love the focus system.

Interesting though that those negative things make the game terrible for some and for others they're just imperfections to a great game.

I look forward to more useful 'supers' in super... Its a pity the character I plan to try and get good with has such an annoyingly long ultra. (Ibuki)

I like the ultra but it in my 3 quick shots of playing as her, I landed the ultra in most rounds and it got old fast!

Advertisement