Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Potential very warm spell ahead

• 20-04-2010 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

Both GFS and ECM are going with the idea of high pressure over northern France gradually building Northwestwards over the coming weekend and early days of next week. MT hinted at this in his daily forecast this moring, but I thought i'd give the roller-coaster a little push start, and suggest temps well into the mid 20's by the middle of next week.
    Its still a fair way out to reliably predict anything, but its looking good thus far.

ECM

ecm500.192.png

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bloody hell, right at exam time too. Typical :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Bye bye winter :D

Think it is safe to say that now......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Bring it on! :cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Min wrote: »

Maybe bit too early - ground frost is predicted for next couple of nights

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i'd love for that weather to stableise over the May bank holiday weekend

*crosses fingers*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just on wetterzentrale and was about to start this thread!

/does a little dance, whatsmore its south to north airflow so the Volanco will be kept at bay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Jean Byrne hinted at this last night; she said hopefully high pressure over Europe would be able to block any fronts that the new southerly airflow would bring and that temperatures should get up near 20C by Monday. Evelyn Cusack also said we could see 20C by Moday on Newstalk this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Min have you learned nothing these past few months;) what happened each time you turned your back on snow??:p

well, you are probably right, but i do recall getting snow as late as the end of June way back in the mid 90s'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Yes, an encouraging trend emerging. Would have preferred yesterday's ECM though which had the high more to the east with a volatile SE airflow over Ireland which had the potential to bring in some severe thunderstorms pluming up from the Bay of Biscay. However, some heat will be most welcome all the same, even if it is of the more non-descript type as per today's charts. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Min have you learned nothing these past few months;) what happened each time you turned your back on snow??:p

well, you are probably right, but i do recall getting snow as late as the end of June way back in the mid 90s'

lol, yeah true.....Katla explodes and we have snow in June.....

I will be an optimist though, have to be right sometime :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Jean Byrne hinted at this last night; she said hopefully high pressure over Europe

I always have high pressure every time I look at Jean :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

that certainly would be welcome. ............

but it would mess up my predictions for a 7.6c April in the Boards contest.

Does look likely to be a warm end to April and Start to MAy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

YUM! Cant wait! and no exams this year!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Woo! .... SOme good dog waLKIN WEATHER fiNALLY!

Better go get my hey fever injection soon! hA
    :cool:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

oh, fingers crossed

having a bbq on saturday:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

So can I take it the snow-hunting season has officially ended, and we're now into the mercury-hunting season? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

This is the best news in a long time!!!!!!!!!!

Definately deserves a full row of smileys . . .

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Not long ago we were all over the weather forum to see who got the lowest temperatures and who got the most snow and now it looks as if we will be looking for the highest temperatures and which resevior will dry up first.

Why are we so obsessed with the weather in this country. Imagine if we had cyclones, monster twisters, moonsoons.

As someone who works outdoors all day I am looking forward to shedding a few layers of clothes, people will think I've lost about two stone after spending a few months with about five layers on all day every day lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 the mucker

kakee wrote: »
    Not long ago we were all over the weather forum to see who got the lowest temperatures and who got the most snow and now it looks as if we will be looking for the highest temperatures and which resevior will dry up first.

Why are we so obsessed with the weather in this country. Imagine if we had cyclones, monster twisters, moonsoons.

As someone who works outdoors all day I am looking forward to shedding a few layers of clothes, people will think I've lost about two stone after spending a few months with about five layers on all day every day lol.

i think we are obsessed because lately its seems so much more extreme. looking forward to some nice weather. i work outside too. nothing worse than persistent rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

jesus i need to get some study done before this arrives so! fingers crossed it works out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Please God so; but even with covers on last night my seedlings (peas and broad beans etc) are frozen to a crisp.. cannot afford to replace them and that will be a sizable loss.

Waiting to see if they will recover.. sigh...

kakee wrote: »

Much of it is a natural response to the changing seasons.

I can guarantee that any week now we will get folk asking for rhubarb jam!

Bitter cold still this morning and we have closed the heating off for the summer. So bring on the sun...

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MANSFIELD

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I always have high pressure every time I look at Jean :)

Lol same here ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Sharp frost here this morning, -1.7c at 6am

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

We have now had 2 nights of VERY sharp frost.

The atmosphere may warm enough next week but i would plant nothing out at all this week and would feck a few inches (at least) of straw across any seed beds that might germinate and leave it there a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Sponge Bob wrote: »

The atmosphere may warm enough next week but i would plant nothing out at all this week and would feck a few inches (at least) of straw across any seed beds that might germinate and leave it there a few days.

Tonight will be another chilly one, possibly -1 in parts of the midlands and south-east. I'd maybe be careful tomorrow night as well as a pre-dawn slight frost is still possible.

From then on though there should be no problems.Night time temps will probably reach double figures in the south on Sat night.

Sponge Bob wrote: »

I throw an old cotton sheet over seedlings that were already out; peasticks raise it away from them. If I had straw would use it.

And bring in all seed trays.

The peas were frosted even so but have survived.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

snaps wrote: »
    Sharp frost here this morning, -1.7c at 6am

Ha! That's nothing we had a min of -4c two nights ago and -1c last night under cloud and today we had a max of 5.4c with showers on and off which were rain becaus the dp was above 0!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i'm sure you'll have the highest temperatures next week too:P)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭flutered

around my neck of the woods one always have hard dry weather while the blackthorn is starting to bloom, until it finishes frlowering, then one gets soft weather for about 2 weeks until the whitethorn starts to blossom, then it is hard again until it finishes flowering.

Advertisement