Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City Marathon 7.6.10

• 01-02-2010 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭

With exactly 18 weeks to go I thought this to be an appropriate time to start a thread for the Cork City Marathon on Monday June 7th.

18 week training schedules start today ;).

Good luck.

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 41 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    24%
    geriresmunchkinshunnymonsterRoyMcCMick RicesarsfieldsrockZuppyd-sherGringo78tisnotover 10 votes
    3 stars (average)
    58%
    DCopusgaf1983RacoonQueenhappy_73fitzie79hf4z6sqo7vjngimenoscemoSUNGODnutzzz123Bally8RICHIE-RICHOisin11178CerlanOl' DonieeliwallachPapa_LazarouTFBubendorferultraman1lecheile 24 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    14%
    trotter_incDermo123aFlabbyPandabaza1976SharkTalechinguetti 6 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    2%
    Brianderunner 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

you planning the full one this year..

Who will be able to take your spot in the relay!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

4 stars (good)
    Yes, my 18-week programme starts today also - with a rest day :pac: Looking forward to meeting up with the boardsies again.

Surely, by the law of probabilities, we can rely on more a normal day temperature-wise this year?

No doubt Woddle will be along at some stage to sort out the relays, great craic last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    you planning the full one this year..

Who will be able to take your spot in the relay!!

Well I won't be doing Dublin again!
    Am planning the full for Cork (but Shhhhh, don't tell the OH!), but will have to get an able replacement* for the Boards A relay team.

* someone not capable of running sub 70min 10 mile :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭TheLargerBowl

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Surely, by the law of probabilities, we can rely on more a normal day temperature-wise this year?
    Now you've done it, it'll be cold and rainy now for it :p:pac:

Relay is a lot of fun, don't think I'll do it myself this year but it'd be nice to see a couple of boardsie teams do well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I've been getting in base miles for a few months and my 18 week starts today........did 9 miles yesterday just to get ready:D

Off to Lanzarote this week so my 1st week will be warm wearther training. When i get back on Feb 10 the booze is gone until June !!!

Room booked down there for the Sunday night and plans falling into place.

Ala big brother...............day 1 in the Cork marathon schedule, elvis is resting after 9 miles yesterday:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No way I'm doing a marathon in June. I don't care what you people think the weather is "normally" like, it's June, it's summer, it's not weather that robinph is going marathon running in. :D

I'm definately up for the relay again though and if eliwallach is going for the full we'll need to get a new team together. If we can get two teams made up of boardies again it would be great, and we can have another bash at that 3hr target as well.

3 stars (average)
    robinph wrote: »
    I'm definately up for the relay and we can have another bash at that 3hr target as well.

That's why I so magniminiously* stepped aside......;)

* check spelling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

Hey guys,

A cork guy here. CC Marathon is gona be my first full marathon, done 10k, 10m and relay before but this is gona be my first.

Best of luck to everyone who's gona be doing it, I'll be the one just hoping to finish it.

On the weather topic, whats the story with it, like I did the relay for the last 2 years and its been unreal, like its never that hot for the rest of June, it just always seems to be that weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

2 stars (poor)
    I reckon the warm weather is due to the Leaving Cert starting 2 days later. Surely we can all remember sitting in a gym writing like a demon about the madness of Hamlet and Peig Sayers with the sun blasting in through the windows?

Would love to do the relay for Boards but already signed up for Edinburgh and couldn't guarantee if i could make it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

chinguetti wrote: »
    Would love to do the relay for Boards but already signed up for Edinburgh and couldn't guarantee if i could make it.
    On last years race one of the relay legs was only 3.2 miles long, with the rest being between 5.2 and 6.4 miles long. So the short leg could be possible if you'd not want to risk committing to more.

They have yet to put the details of the relay legs on the website though, they actually still have the 2009 distances listed as them not being certain about. :confused: I'm not sure how the changes to this year route will effect the relay and the changeovers though.

Edit: I just found this map from the Cork Running blog which shows approximately how the route will be changed this year:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KzUvGt3xDV0/S0fC3-qGrMI/AAAAAAAAE9w/rBGNZkhINwk/s1600-h/CorkMarathonRoute2009_Maybe.jpg
    The changeover points last year are where the 1, 3 and 4 are on the map. The 2 seems to have been deleted in the editing of the map, but with the route changing that much I guess the changeover locations will have to move.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Lads, after discussion with Cap'n Woddle I'm opening a Cork Mara Relay thread. Then we can keep this one for the full marathon animals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

4 stars (good)
    Given the heat wave in Cork the last few years, I'm wondering what people's thoughts/experience of Marathon Pace should be.

Pacing - How badly does the heat impact trying to keep to a goal pace?
    Strategy - Should you set-off 10s/mile slower than what you might under normal conditions?
    Heart-Rate - Rather than maybe targetting a pace, would it be better to target a heart rate range and sticking to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

tisnotover wrote: »
    Given the heat wave in Cork the last few years, I'm wondering what people's thoughts/experience of Marathon Pace should be.

Pacing - How badly does the heat impact trying to keep to a goal pace?
    Strategy - Should you set-off 10s/mile slower than what you might under normal conditions?
    Heart-Rate - Rather than maybe targetting a pace, would it be better to target a heart rate range and sticking to that?

I have only done one,which you have read the report.
    I have learned a few things.

1.Without a doubt,start the first 2/3m 10s a mile slower...you have 23/24m to make up those 20 seconds,if you have trained well,you will make them up.

2.I can only imagine that the heat will play a big factor,but what can you do about that...nothing...you could decide on the day to go slower...i know that i wouldnt.
    If you went up there and it was wind and rain,you would have to deal with that also !

3.Dont know a thing about HR.
    (hopefully getting a forerunner 405 soon)

Hopfully i will be at the start line myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Gunnersonny

What sort of a course is the Cork marathon? Is it hilly? Thinking of doing it. Will be first one, so the less hills the better!

4 stars (good)
    What sort of a course is the Cork marathon? Is it hilly? Thinking of doing it. Will be first one, so the less hills the better!

Ah there's a few, and it gets a bit sporting in the third quarter. I'd hardly call it a 'hilly marathon' though, amazingly, some do.

Your best bet is to train on some hills, get used to them, welcome them in. Then you'll approach any race, hilly or not, without trepidation.

Good luck on your first mara, see you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Gunnersonny

...Lovely. Hills in the third quarter just where you'd like to see them! Cheers.

...Lovely. Hills in the third quarter just where you'd like to see them! Cheers.

The route has been changed,supposed to be unveiled next week or the following...alot of the hills gone.

any half marathons in April, i just want some race pratice for running around others and general race preperation.

Oh and i'm in Laois but don't mind traveling.

3 stars (average)
    any half marathons in April, i just want some race pratice for running around others and general race preperation.

There's one in Ballybunion www.runballybunion.com in early April.
    But if I were you (and quite obviously, I'm not ;)), I would try to run the Half Marathon a bit closer to the main event. i.e. in May. For that check out www.bayrun.ie

I think there is also a half marathon lumped in the the full marathon planned for Limerick in May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Wexford Half is on 2nd May

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    signed up for Cork and Bayrun and hear's me thinking i'd a fear of commitment ;)

eliwallach wrote: »
    There's one in Ballybunion www.runballybunion.com in early April.
    But if I were you (and quite obviously, I'm not ;)), I would try to run the Half Marathon a bit closer to the main event. i.e. in May. For that check out www.bayrun.ie

I think there is also a half marathon lumped in the the full marathon planned for Limerick in May.

I'm looking at Wexford in May but just wanted one is April so i have 2 under my belt......................

Ballybunion is too far with my night work as i'm working the night before. Ah i'll go and have a look elsewhere on the site.

How is everyone's training going ?

4 stars (good)
    How is everyone's training going ?

just starting into it now really, put together a rough 18week training plan off the Hal Higdon Intermediate II plan. how're things going yourself?

I'm using HH Novice 2 plan myself. I'd love to do a sub 4.30 but who knows that will shoe itself in the next few months.

This was my 1st proper week as i was away in Lanzarote. I was feeling lazy on sunday but still got up and did 9 miles......felt all the better for it.

I also got Hal's training book from Amazon and its helping me as well.

My diet has had to change and i'm feeling all the better for it.

4 stars (good)
    I'm using HH Novice 2 plan myself. I'd love to do a sub 4.30 but who knows that will shoe itself in the next few months.

This was my 1st proper week as i was away in Lanzarote. I was feeling lazy on sunday but still got up and did 9 miles......felt all the better for it.

I also got Hal's training book from Amazon and its helping me as well.

My diet has had to change and i'm feeling all the better for it.

good stuff. best of luck with training from here on!

do you've a link to the book? Mite give it a look. I hear ya about diet, i'm using lent as an excuse to give up bad habits!

Im sure i would have heard by now,but are there pacers for cork ?

4 stars (good)
    Sosa wrote: »

there hasn't been the last few years AFAIK.
    the new route is meant to be announced today by all accounts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

4 stars (good)
    Hopefully its the course as suggested a few weeks back.....ran the course from mahon point SC to end of centre park road which would be hopefully miles 8.25 to 15 on the new course and its a nice stretch....5 or 6 miles flat as a pancake (apart from a footbridge) which would help to steady the ship nicely.

3 stars (average)
    Confirmed:

The organizers of the Bord Gáis Energy Cork City Marathon are changing the race course in 2010, taking out the punishing hills along the 26.2 mile route to make it flatter and more enjoyable for all those taking part.
    On the back of feedback from runners and relay teams, the main change to the 2010 route is the exclusion of the energy sapping uphill on Model Farm Road from Inchigaggin Bridge out to Nangles Nursery and the tough downhill after that on Church Hill. To compensate for the loss of two miles in the western section, the new route takes in the popular walkway amenity along the Lough Mahon waterfront and the Rochestown/Blackrock section of the old Passage railway line. Two miles out from the finish line, the new route also sees a shift from the Western Road at the Sacred Heart Church to the Mardyke, a stretch of road with a more favourable camber for runners. Full map and course details are available to download on the marathon’s brand new ‘social media hubat www.readysteadycork.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

4 stars (good)
    Sosa wrote: »

Why would you be asking about the pacers? Sure they're not going to have pacers for 2:50-2:55 :D

Advertisement