Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Ghost signs'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

That would be a good thing, as long as they can spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

'Anderson Furniture' on Usher's Quay over the nicest and most distinctive post office frontage left in Ireland:
    7735317376_a83e8a1886_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Also, as for "ghost signs" a more enduring example of a business advertising itself on its business premises is the carved figures advertising Sunlight soap at the corner of Parliament Street, and designed in 1902 as the Dublin office for Lever Brothers. There's an interesting history here about its background (see the close-up photos on that link to the photo below - very interesting designs):

sunlight_chambers.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Resurrecting the ghosts...

Some building work being done at 133 North Strand Road today uncovered this - John Keenan - J.J. Keenan's - used to be a grocer and greengrocer according to a 1969 Thom's.

picture.php?albumid=2386&pictureid=15419

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

spurious wrote: »
    Resurrecting the ghosts...

Some building work being done at 133 North Strand Road today uncovered this - John Keenan - J.J. Keenan's - used to be a grocer and greengrocer according to a 1969 Thom's.

]
    Nice one Spurious, saw this recently and was wondering about it.
    There looks to be another ghost sign to the left of the Keenan sign, a metal one. Is it a man with a carpet, was there a carpet\furniture shop there up to lately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

imme wrote: »
    There looks to be another ghost sign to the left of the Keenan sign, a metal one. Is it a man with a carpet, was there a carpet\furniture shop there up to lately.

There have been a few failed businesses in there, including a sort of junk shop a couple of years ago. It looks like he's making it residential now, so it will be another North Strand Road residence that bus passengers can look in and see the packed in bunkbeds. Seems every building now is becoming an Air BnB 'jam as many as you can into a room' place.

Looks like the Fruit and Veg shop about a hundred yards further to town will be becoming a chipper soon. Pity - she used to do fancy stuff like figs and fennel. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Pub on Parnell street spotted while sitting in traffic. Looks long gone

20181123-102839.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

neris wrote: »
    Pub on Parnell street spotted while sitting in traffic. Looks long gone

20181123-102839.jpg

It's actually not gone as long as it looks, maybe 8yrs.

A crazy spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

ANXIOUS wrote: »

A crazy spot.

Still there. Don't know how to attach photo as I used to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

This place was open very briefly around 1990 in Hawkins St.
    Although the premises never opened again the sign was there literally until last week.

472992.jpg

• Advertisement

ANXIOUS wrote: »

A crazy spot.

Quiet an unfortunate tale attached to that place.

The original owner,Maggie had been in a nursing home for many years and when she eventually died the bill for her care came to over 500k.
    Her son, John has been ordered to put the pub on the market to pay the bills but there's a bit of legal wrangling going on at the moment so it still belongs to him at least for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Quiet an unfortunate tale attached to that place.

The original owner,Maggie had been in a nursing home for many years and when she eventually died the bill for her care came to over 500k.
    Her son, John has been ordered to put the pub on the market to pay the bills but there's a bit of legal wrangling going on at the moment so it still belongs to him at least for the moment.

I often wondered about that place. I go by on the Luas quite often, and it's frequently repainted to cover the graffiti, but then graffiti appears again a while later.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Metro Burger sign has been saved! \o/

https://www.thejournal.ie/metro-burger-sign-hawkins-street-4477415-Feb2019/

I read somewhere a few years back that it used to be a notorious rent boy pickup place back in the day

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I read somewhere a few years back that it used to be a notorious rent boy pickup place back in the day

Actually true. It was open 24 hours and near enough to the public toilets on Burgh Quay.

Some of those rent boys were heroin addicts as were a fair few of the Cafes "regular" late night custom.

Saw this this morning. Store Street, just under the railway bridge.

I believe it would have been for McGowan Brothers, Metal Merchants, who had a yard to the right of the sign.

picture.php?albumid=2386&pictureid=15481

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Paddy Whelan's has been visible for a while, the cork st post office is new though - probably not that old

476003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

It has found a new home in the beer garden of Lucky's (on Meath St.): https://www.thejournal.ie/metro-burger-sign-hawkins-street-dublin-ghost-signs-4729824-Jul2019/?utm_source=twitter_short

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I know only one side is going to be visible where it is at the moment, but they put the back panel in the wrong way round :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,503 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

retalivity wrote: »
    Paddy Whelan's has been visible for a while
    That's where I bought my first bike with my confo money - yellow Dawes Chevron 5-speed - loved it.

weirbros.jpg

Mary Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

retalivity wrote: »
    Paddy Whelan's has been visible for a while, the cork st post office is new though - probably not that old

If memory serves me right, the Post Office closed before Paddy Whelans. They relocated the Post Office down to Centra in McGovern's Corner up the road. The apartments opened up in 2003, Centra must have followed soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Culchie_85

I'm glad I found this thread, I do a lot of walking around Dublin (and other cities) and my IG account is very geared towards this:

@rareoldsigns :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I went and had a look at lunch time, here it is, Loftus Lounge and Sonny Kings old signs on what was The Bernard Shaw. I've no idea how old those signs are (or are not :D)

494795.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Culchie_85

vlN5g1R.jpg

CB0rWxS.jpg

dY1LuwY.jpg

sjmwmc2.jpg

wgLumyC.jpg

QHW3527.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Dolphin Hotel, Essex Street, closed as a hotel in the 1970's

108930278_3189436401103299_6986212901485943246_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=VZxZ7FLCAHQAX-AWuKm&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=a38f3b8dc977aa59ebc3bbd4165d71eb&oe=5F3D1B9B

Nice to see some ghost signs of Frawleys still around.

115547394_218808022661608_5953786255468307828_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=O1S0Uili_lEAX8Mk-ac&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=769df560122b42f801b446fa01d61b8d&oe=5F39CE99

• Registered Users Posts: 28,503 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

vektarman wrote: »
    Dolphin Hotel, Essex Street, closed as a hotel in the 1970's

And became Dolphin House family courts in later years?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

And became Dolphin House family courts in later years?

Yes, is now the family law courts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

A sign for the Turk's Head is hardly a ghost sign.

• Advertisement

I'm sure this has already been posted (edit. Just saw it posted above!) but it's one I like as I used to live beside it.

Nuzum Brothers were a French Hugenot family of coal merchants, who had a business on South Brunswick Street (now Pearse Street) in 1869

As far as I can see, the name has gone out of circulation altogether, in ireland.

Advertisement