Banned

Found this hilarious.

Quote:
Hi CatacombKittens,

You have been banned from After Hours for the following duration:

7 Day(s)

for the following reason:

Calling another user a sociopath

Not expecting it to be reversed or anything, nor am I that bothered, but it is pretty hilarious. I get the feeling if it wasn't a moderator I was talking about I would have gotten away with it, even if they did something any balanced human being wouldn't. It would have nice if ye were honest about it like that. I thought I'd explain why I said that at least.

Before I signed up here, I read a thread by several ex-Boards members I'm sure you know and love on Thumped about a moderator Theadydal. I got linked to a thread where someone was suicidal, really on the brink and just needed someone to talk to. Thaedydal locked that thread almost immediately, and told them to talk to the Samaritans, "The Professionals"(what). I'm near certain this has happened multiple times. I'm sorry, but it's widely accepted the best thing to do with a person like this is to talk to them and shutting off an avenue like this is only going to make it worse. You can't go off and tell them to talk to someone else. That's further rejection, and there's no guarantee it's better for them. If they came here it's for a reason.

Someone who was capable of putting themselves in that person's shoes and feeling for them would not have done that. That's why I feel it was apt to throw around the weighty accusation of sociopath. I don't think a person like that should be a mod. There are internet equivalents to a lot of things and people forget that sociopath is one of them. Upholding rules is not more important than human life, even if it's a relatively small probability. Putting legal paranoia before someone's well-being is the measure of a bad person for me.

So when I join this forum months later, I see a thread on suicide saying that yes the best thing to do is talk about it, which is being rather hypocritically thanked by several mods some of whom no doubt are buddy buddy with this one. I joined this forum knowing this and have refrained from commenting up until now, but this is too much.

As far as I'm concerned, Thaedydal could very likely have killed someone and I got punished for pointing this out. That is, as they say, not on. You're creating an environment where people with poor social interface can take harmful courses of action without any consequences. Me saying "Sociopath" isn't likely to do much damage, especially to someone who could care less if someone was about to top themselves. Shooting down a suicidal person probably is, if only psychologically.

Last edited by CatacombKittens; 16-09-2009 at 21:29.
Advertisement
16-09-2009, 21:37   #2
Banned

Also, the arguments that mods were staying up all night, anyone can leap in etc. is the biggest load of piss.

There are countless other forums that allow it. Nobody expects moderators to stay up all the night, that's unreasonable. That doesn't mean you make that person feel worse by shooting them down. I think what Boards mods don't understand is that nothing is worse than that. People are used to getting "Lol kill yourself" remarks and they're obviously just asshole trolls. When a mod gives a big, shiny, official stamp of rejection, that's something that matters. If people are throwing abuse, at least there's still hope that someone will come along and save the day. Much like with suicide, there is always hope in life, but there is no hope from death. I find it unbelievable that the boards mods can't make this observation. I think you only care that if something goes wrong, you'll get sued again. Personally I hope it happens anyway under your current policy(and is more likely to happen). You deserve it.

And people shouldn't be throwing abuse if the mods were doing their jobs, anyway.

You remind me of American Xenophobes saying how universal healthcare "can't work" when it does in other countries. If what you were saying was true, there would be a lot more forums that ban talking about suicide. Unfortunately the mods are too busy sticking up for each other to consider that maybe their philosophy is in the wrong. This isn't just me saying this. Once one or two people get an idea in their heards you get this impenetrably cirlce jerk and that is exactly what's happened here. This is the only forum I have been on that I have seen this policy on. This includes forums of comparable size(like Harmony Central).

Last edited by CatacombKittens; 16-09-2009 at 21:42.
16-09-2009, 21:49   #3
Ponster

Send a message via Skype™ to Ponster
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatacombKittens View Post
Unfortunately the mods are too busy sticking up for each other to consider that maybe their philosophy is in the wrong....Once one or two people get an idea in their heards you get this impenetrably cirlce jerk and that is exactly what's happened here. This is the only forum I have been on that I have seen this policy on.
I was with you until this bit.
16-09-2009, 22:37   #4
My name is URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatacombKittens View Post
electing sociopaths as moderators

I think you'll find it's Cronyism

Last edited by My name is URL; 16-09-2009 at 22:39.
17-09-2009, 00:20   #5

Paging Karl Hungus. Karl Hungus to the checkout please.
Advertisement
17-09-2009, 00:29   #6

Rozie is that you?

The issue about locking thread in PI with a suicide risk was already addressed by the admin/owners of this site and it is the site policy to do just that.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055510008

The thread on thumped was part of a nasty series of attacks by someone who pestered me by email,
stalked me on various emailing lists and put vicious comments on my blogs.
Thankfully the admin at thumped kindly removed my email address after that person was trying to
get people to send me hateful emails and also locked that thread.

Last edited by Nevyn; 17-09-2009 at 00:36.
17-09-2009, 00:33   #7

I think I'll take my advice on mental health issues from someone who is at least aware that there is actually no such thing as a diagnosis of sociopathy (the diagnosis was changed to psychopath for the DSM III and anti-social personality disorder/APD for the DSM-IV and DSM-IV-R).

Regarding your other point, mods are not mental health professionals (as I am going to assume you aren't either) and are not qualified to deal with or assist people who are suicidal and like all other unqualified persons (ie. the vast majority of people on boards, the people who would reply to that thread) are at risk of doing more damage than good in that situation. The users are directed towards people who are qualified and better able to help them - in this case the samaritans. No amount of bleeding heart stuff changes the basic facts.

Last edited by orestes; 17-09-2009 at 00:36.
Thanks from:
17-09-2009, 00:36   #8
feylya

Hi Rozie

.o/
17-09-2009, 00:41   #9

Hang on, it's Rozie?

Maybe the OP knows more about mental health problems than I had given them credit for so
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-09-2009, 00:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaedydal
Sorry to hear that happened Blitz, I know how much the hat means to you.
Bastards may theynever have a moments luck and may they die roaring in pain.
To be fair I think anyone who posts this is entitled to be called a sociopath
17-09-2009, 00:56   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aDeener View Post
To be fair I think anyone who posts this is entitled to be called a sociopath
Have you any idea of what the diagnosis of a sociopath was? Before it became completely defunct and ceased to be recognised as a clinical mental illness several decades ago that is
Thanks from:
17-09-2009, 00:59   #12
Steve
Life is hard, deal with it.

Thaed is infallible, surely you know that by now.

Any questions --> modconspiracy@boards.ie
17-09-2009, 01:05   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestes View Post
Have you any idea of what the diagnosis of a sociopath was? Before it became completely defunct and ceased to be recognised as a clinical mental illness several decades ago that is
Sociopathy otherwise known as antisocial personality disorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Answers.com
A personality disorder characterized by chronic antisocial behavior and violation of the law and the rights of others.
Wanting someone to die "roaring in pain" for the theft of a hat fulfils the conditions set out.
17-09-2009, 01:05   #14

I thought the address was modbastards@boards.ie
17-09-2009, 01:08   #15

I got elected Pope?
Why didn't someone tell me?
Thread Closed