Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-09-2009, 14:36   #1
Morlar

WW2 Pillboxes in Ireland

I read on another forum recently about Pillboxes built by the Irish govt in the event of an invasion from the british army.

Here is a link to a 9 page acrobat file
http://www.meath.ie/LocalAuthorities...e,35795,en.pdf

page 5 has this text ;

3.9.11 During the Emergency (1940s) the main planned line of resistance against a threatened overland invasion by British forces based in Northern Ireland was formed by the rivers Boyne and Blackwater.A line of fortifications, comprising blockhouses and machine-gun pits concentrated along the riverbanks, was built.Thirteen of these structures lie within Brú na Bóinne (Fig. 13).

Followed by one photograph and 2 maps on page 6, you can blow the maps up to 300% + without distortion to get the detail. There were a series of approx 30 pillboxes in a 20k line from Navan to Drogheda following the Boyne.

I was wondering if anyone has been to any of these ? Are many still there ? Anyone have any information on the history of them, when exactly they were built, were they regularly occuppied for any period ? Does anyone have any photos of them now or at that time ?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-09-2009, 14:57   #2
marcsignal

Nice 1 Morlar

I haven't heard of, or been to any of these yet, but just got the Vespa fixed, so I feel a road trip coming on
Thanks from:
16-09-2009, 15:25   #3
lucky-colm

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsignal View Post
Nice 1 Morlar

I haven't heard of, or been to any of these yet, but just got the Vespa fixed, so I feel a road trip coming on

groovy
Thanks from:
16-09-2009, 19:12   #4
leincar

There is a pillbox on the Waterford to Tramore Road. I think its midway between Waterford and Tramore on a rocky outcrop on the right hand side.
16-09-2009, 19:25   #5
ttm
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by leincar View Post
There is a pillbox on the Waterford to Tramore Road. I think its midway between Waterford and Tramore on a rocky outcrop on the right hand side.
Often seen that one and wondered why it was there, another is/was on the North side of the River bridge at Fidown (on the old road), but you can correct me on that as I havn't been on that road in a few years.
Advertisement
16-09-2009, 21:13   #6
FiSe

Hmm, interesting... One only wonders if 'they' were ever serious about the machineguns.
Doubt that the army had enough of ammo and guns and that the Dept of Finance would puke a few bob for the purchase, even if the Churchill would approve the transaction.
17-09-2009, 21:47   #7
Fuinseog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlar View Post
I read on another forum recently about Pillboxes built by the Irish govt in the event of an invasion from the british army.

Here is a link to a 9 page acrobat file
http://www.meath.ie/LocalAuthorities...e,35795,en.pdf

page 5 has this text ;

3.9.11 During the Emergency (1940s) the main planned line of resistance against a threatened overland invasion by British forces based in Northern Ireland was formed by the rivers Boyne and Blackwater.A line of fortifications, comprising blockhouses and machine-gun pits concentrated along the riverbanks, was built.Thirteen of these structures lie within Brú na Bóinne (Fig. 13).

Followed by one photograph and 2 maps on page 6, you can blow the maps up to 300% + without distortion to get the detail. There were a series of approx 30 pillboxes in a 20k line from Navan to Drogheda following the Boyne.

I was wondering if anyone has been to any of these ? Are many still there ? Anyone have any information on the history of them, when exactly they were built, were they regularly occuppied for any period ? Does anyone have any photos of them now or at that time ?

i have only been to two of them. there is one in Limerick guarding the road to Ardnacrusha. easy to miss.

there is another in the woods overlooking Blessington. not marked on any OS map.

I was at both 20 years ago. i would be surprised if they have been removed.
Thanks from:
17-09-2009, 22:38   #8
chalkitdown

There are two on the river Shannon at Corbally Limerick, near the baths.
It's at a possible fording point, quite shallow, so I figured that there must have been some plan to blow the main bridges.
(2) thanks from:
18-09-2009, 09:35   #9
FiSe

I haven't heard about these before, so I'll be speculating here, but could part of them be WWI leftovers built as a protection against possible German U-Boots or some agents landing / secret service operations?

Ardnacrusha power plant had its own AA battery, or should I say a gun or two, during WWII, so that one could be a part of the guarding system.
There were worries from possible IRA attacks on some of the installments too, I believe...
Advertisement
18-09-2009, 10:27   #10
chalkitdown

You can drive right up to the one at the end of the Mill rd. in Corbally, it covers the old Salmon weir.
Thanks from:
24-09-2009, 11:40   #11
Linus67

There are loads of Pillboxes scattered around the Curragh. Though I believe they date from the First World War.
24-09-2009, 12:22   #12
Morlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus67 View Post
There are loads of Pillboxes scattered around the Curragh. Though I believe they date from the First World War.
Do you have any photos or links to anything on these ?
24-09-2009, 15:27   #13
Linus67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlar View Post
Do you have any photos or links to anything on these ?
I don't have any photo's myself but here is a link. The kids in the photo appear to be sitting on a pillbox.

http://www.curragh.info/landmarks/plains.htm
Thanks from:
24-09-2009, 15:54   #14
FiSe

Found this link:

http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...hp/t-9447.html

15th post from the top and beyond...
Thanks from:
24-09-2009, 16:04   #15
Caoimhín

I know where there are several, along the Boyne and another few beside bridges down the country. I was told that in addition to being used as pillboxes to shoot out of, the army had drilled holes in parts of the nearby bridges. If the British or the Germans attacked, the explosives stored in the pillboxes would be put into the holes in the bridges and blown up leaving the bridge useless.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion