Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking Days Off & Time

Options
  • 27-07-2009 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Folks,

I received a PM from somebody re taking days off and having limited time etc so I thought I would post the reply below for those who may be interested.

The key tenet of all successful training is found in my adage, "Keep the ball rolling". That means do no training so hard that you can't recover. That means take time off when you really are sick or injured. That means plan your work and work your plan, with intelligent flexibility. That means don't take days off just to be taking days off. Use them when you really need them.

I don't believe a runner should aim for 365 days of consecutive running. In fact, I think streaks beyond 2-3 months often are not wise. Having streaks for the sake of streaks means a runner is ignoring signs and symptoms of poor health or injury or chronic fatigue. It is hard to train wisely all the time; even with an intelligent training plan, simply because one can get sick at work or school or from your kids, if you happen to be a parent. One can strain a muscles running on an uneven surface, ice, or underestimate the heat and humidity. The list of potential problems for runners is long - including things like shoes become slightly too worn out, and out of nowhere you have a sore calf or sore foot or an Achilles Tendon that's tender - so that's why you reserve days off for when your body really needs them.

I believe training commitment is ultimately the number one factor of success. Runners who commit to training at the upper ends of their personal limits say, "I don't care how it is outside or how cold it is. If I have an obligation to go to, I get up early and run before everyone is awake. No excuses for me!" Now, if you want to not reach your potential, take days off just to take them off, but don't complain to other people that you aren't setting personal best times or winning your age category. If you can't commit to running every day
    (taking days off when you only really need them) then learn to live with the fact you're not going to reach your potential.

In the world of running, we have the watch to go by. It doesn't lie! You ran 17:30 a month ago and its 18:00 today. If the weather and course are comparable, then you realize right away you either trained insufficiently or too hard. And, you also have to take ownership of the things you did not do that you should have - like run as often as possible, within the limitations of your lifestyle.

When you commit to running, you run more and train more consistently. When you train more consistently you don't run yourself into the ground in any one workout. Your "off-day," when you don't feel great, is still faster than your old "fresh" days. When you commit to excellence you get the sleep you need, eat the foods you should, and take care of all the most important things. You take off when you really need it - and I mean rest completely when you are sick and injured. As soon as you are not sick or injured, you either cross-train until you are not injured or you run again. You don't waste time!

One last thing: Just because some of the Kenyans take a month off from training at the end of their hard racing year doesn't mean it's optimal. First of all, most of those guys ran 20km per day for 15 years, to and from school, before attempting formalized training. They have thousands of kilometers in their legs that most "white" folks don't have. Their economy is way better than most top white runners because they have improved it over 15 years before doing arduous training. Second, just because it is being done that way doesn't mean it's optimal.

If you really need to take days off then try to X train on those days with cycling, swimming or aqua jogging!!!

Re training and time. One thing to consider, too, is how much adaptive energy you have at any given moment. If you have plenty of energy, you can combine training elements and develop well. If you don't have that much energy (or time on your hands) then you must work on those things that give you the most benefit for the time you do spend. If you have a goal of being your best in a race 6 months from now, you can train in non-specific ways and develop your capacity to handle intense workout that are specific 4 months from now; using just 2 months of specificity to sharpen your skills. But, if you have only 6 weeks to get ready for a big race, you have to do those workouts and that training which gets you specifically ready to race; within reason.

So, to conclude I'll state two things:

1) You lose what you don't do enough of. If you skip mileage, long runs, and even the stamina zone (what most of you think of as threshold) it'll erode;

2) Use your time and energy wisely and in accordance to what you can realistically manage. You only have so much time and so much energy. If you have more time, do more non-specific work that builds your capacity handle harder workouts with ease. If you have limited time do the workouts that are most specific to your race needs. You probably won't reach your ultimate potential but it's not the point for someone who has limited time.

Tergat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Great stuff as usual Tergat but here's a question.

Im weak aerobically so Im looking to bump up the mileage to help with this. Now I run 6 days a week at the moment so my question is if I have to do 40 miles a week am I better doing 6 miles a day seven days a week or seven miles a day six days a week?

My gut would've said 7 miles for 6 days but reading your post that may not be right?

ps. I know the answer might be 7 miles a day seven days a week but lets say Im building up gradually and have a limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭tergat

Great stuff as usual Tergat but here's a question.

Im weak aerobically so Im looking to bump up the mileage to help with this. Now I run 6 days a week at the moment so my question is if I have to do 40 miles a week am I better doing 6 miles a day seven days a week or seven miles a day six days a week?

My gut would've said 7 miles for 6 days but reading your post that may not be right?

ps. I know the answer might be 7 miles a day seven days a week but lets say Im building up gradually and have a limit.

Running Bing,

To improve your aerobic system you can do two things:
    1) Increase Mileage
    2) Train more in the 'Stamina Zone' (paces from 10km to Marathon pace)

For you I would try running 7 days at 6 miles a day and take a day off if injured/sick or if you feel you need to. Just remember to keep easy days easy. Also cut out speedwork (paces 800m-5km) for a few weeks and focus on training at paces ranging from 10km-Marathon on your 2 harder days with a weekly long run over hills also.

Tergat

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭ss43

Would you recommend training everyday for teenagers or beginners who might not be able to read their reaction to training that well? A 15 year old just starting out mightn't really recognise at what point they need to take a day off. With that in mind, would you schedule rest days for younger athletes?

ss43 wrote: »
    Would you recommend training everyday for teenagers or beginners who might not be able to read their reaction to training that well? A 15 year old just starting out mightn't really recognise at what point they need to take a day off. With that in mind, would you schedule rest days for younger athletes?

ss43,

All the above info is geared towards athletes 18+, I believe younger athletes should always have at least one rest day during the week from sport. For Juvenile distance runners something along these lines is fine (bear in mind this is for athletes who only run and do NOT do any other sports):

u13- 2-3 days training per week
    u14- 3-4 days
    u15- 4 days
    u16- 4-5 days
    u17- 5 days
    u18- 5-6 days
    u19- 6 days
    u20- 6-7 days

PLEASE remember that training for example 4 days for the u15 athlete does NOT mean training HARD 4 days, this would be (2 easy runs, 1 longer easy run on hills, 1 workout). For the younger kids u13-u16, on the days they don't run it is no harm at times to do other sports. From u17 up I think athletes need to decide on what sport they want to concentrate on IF they want to maximise their potential at that given sport.

Again these are rough guidelines, it really is an individual thing. Coaches need to communicate well with the athlete, get to know him/her well and decide on the best plan for them. Motivation is a big factor also, there is no point in giving a 15 year old kid 5 days of training a week if he has no motivation, he will eventually get tired of it and pack it in. The key, build a group around the athlete and make it as fun as possible. A wise old coach once told me "you cannot give a guy motivation it has to come from within".

Hope that has answered your question.

Tergat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

I remain to be convinced by Tergat's argument, and am of the opinion that rest days (as opposed to recovery days) are necessary not only for physical recovery but also mental recovery (not to mention relationship recovery!)....that said, my longest running streak has been 9 days I think.

If someone is sufficiently disciplined to follow a well-structured plan (by which I mean a P&D-type marathon plan, Daniels plan etc.), what benefit do they get from doing a short run the day after every single hard session? I would think it's very difficult for someone who doesn't get very experienced training advice to make the judgement call between when such a session would be useful and when it would lead towards over-training.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Peckham wrote: »
    I remain to be convinced by Tergat's argument, and am of the opinion that rest days (as opposed to recovery days) are necessary not only for physical recovery but also mental recovery (not to mention relationship recovery!)....that said, my longest running streak has been 9 days I think.

If someone is sufficiently disciplined to follow a well-structured plan (by which I mean a P&D-type marathon plan, Daniels plan etc.), what benefit do they get from doing a short run the day after every single hard session? I would think it's very difficult for someone who doesn't get very experienced training advice to make the judgement call between when such a session would be useful and when it would lead towards over-training.

I havent tried it myself as I usually like to have one rest day, but sometimes I would still swim or do some cross training on these days. The idea of doing something short might be ok , but I would think that for me i'd need to keep it below 3 miles , so not sure if I'm better off with the swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

tergat wrote: »
    Running Bing,

To improve your aerobic system you can do two things:
    1) Increase Mileage
    2) Train more in the 'Stamina Zone' (paces from 10km to Marathon pace)

For you I would try running 7 days at 6 miles a day and take a day off if injured/sick or if you feel you need to. Just remember to keep easy days easy. Also cut out speedwork (paces 800m-5km) for a few weeks and focus on training at paces ranging from 10km-Marathon on your 2 harder days with a weekly long run over hills also.

Tergat

Hi Tergat,

How about this variation on Running Bing's question:
    Is training 7 days per week plus 3 doubles significantly better than than training 6 days plus 4 doubles?

Peckham wrote: »

Peckham,

Running slowly the day after a hard workout and race is very beneficial. When you are recovering from a hard workout, it is an excellent choice. Not only does slow running facilitate recovery by moving out damaged tissue and supplying nutrients for repair, it keeps the capillaries open and the mitochondria of slow twitch fibers stimulated.

Again, all my advice is optional and totally up to the individual. All athletes are different and need to be handled differently. Also, you build up gradually to 7 days a week over time, dont just jump into it. If you feel like a day off or two then take it, its no problem.

When coaching a runner, I find out their natural capacities through verbal discussion and observation. I consider the time-frame of their progression to a goal race. I also think about the demands of that race. And, last but not least, I consider their current fitness level. I won't give the exact same training to runners who vary in ability, tendencies, natural capacities (attributes), or time-frames that vary, if that makes sense.

Running workouts under control and not so much that it wiped you out is the turnkey to success. Only the ridiculously talented can get away with hammering every day, and even they breakdown and often don't reach their potential. It is the effective use of "self-control" that provides the pathway to personal excellence.

And, I'll add one more thing: It is about the journey, not just the destination. If you are enjoying your workouts, you are probably training right. If you are dreading your workouts, having to psych yourself up for them, or have an agitated body and mind often, then you are training too hard and pushing beyond your optimal training volume and intensity.

My advice is get out there are run as often as possible, don't kill yourself every day, run a few races but not more than your body can handle, and get used to doing the work. Remember, 90% of success in life is simply doing the work. The other 10% is a combination of strategy and opportunity.

If your not a serious runner, not in it to improve optimally, then take days off and ignore the information stated above. It doesn't matter, then.

Tergat

cfitz wrote: »
    Hi Tergat,

How about this variation on Running Bing's question:
    Is training 7 days per week plus 3 doubles significantly better than than training 6 days plus 4 doubles?

cfitz,

I really think it depends on the individual in question. Does he/she have time on their hands? Do they need a day off a week for a mental break? etc.

I don't think there will be a huge difference when you are doing doubles, some may prefer a day off to relax and recharge. It only becomes a problem taking the day off if you are trying to cram in miles the other days, due to the fact you have a day off each week. When just doing singles the extra day (7th day) is easier to tag on. It becomes a daily routine after a while.

Tergat

• Registered Users Posts: 18 TURFMAN

One last thing: Just because some of the Kenyans take a month off from training at the end of their hard racing year doesn't mean it's optimal. First of all, most of those guys ran 20km per day for 15 years, to and from school, before attempting formalized training. They have thousands of kilometers in their legs that most "white" folks don't have. Their economy is way better than most top white runners because they have improved it over 15 years before doing arduous training. Second, just because it is being done that way doesn't mean it's optimal.

Tergat

You advocate that athletes should not simulate the Kenyan approach by taking a month off at the end of the season.

What do you feel is an optimal recovery plan for middle distcance athletes at the end of a track season?

• Advertisement

TURFMAN wrote: »
    Tergat

You advocate that athletes should not simulate the Kenyan approach by taking a month off at the end of the season.

What do you feel is an optimal recovery plan for middle distcance athletes at the end of a track season?

TURFMAN,

Again that was aimed at athlees 18+ and is totally dependant on that particular individual. Everybody knows their own body and knows when they need a break and a coach should know an athlete and what they need in terms of recovery. Remember the Kenyans have years of running in their legs that we do not have. I bet some kenyans do run easy during their 'breaks' and some rest totally for a mental break.

For an athlete 18+ it is far easier to regain fitness if they take 3-4 weeks off at the end of the season end but incorporate an easy 15-30 min jog every 2-3 days. When you start back into REAL training you will feel a lot better than you would have taking 3-4 full weeks off. Your body has also kept in touch with the pounding associated with running, which will help avoid those niggling injuries people pick up when starting back into training.

Again it is an individual thing, if you prefer to take time off then do so. But doing it the above way will provide greater gains in the long term, whats an easy 15-30 mins every 2-3 days for 4 weeks when you have been training 5-7days a week normally with 2 harder days? Remember this is for athletes 18+ (Out of Junior ranks).

Tergat

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭ss43

ss43,

All the above info is geared towards athletes 18+, I believe younger athletes should always have at least one rest day during the week from sport. For Juvenile distance runners something along these lines is fine (bear in mind this is for athletes who only run and do NOT do any other sports):

u13- 2-3 days training per week
    u14- 3-4 days
    u15- 4 days
    u16- 4-5 days
    u17- 5 days
    u18- 5-6 days
    u19- 6 days
    u20- 6-7 days

PLEASE remember that training for example 4 days for the u15 athlete does NOT mean training HARD 4 days, this would be (2 easy runs, 1 longer easy run on hills, 1 workout). For the younger kids u13-u16, on the days they don't run it is no harm at times to do other sports. From u17 up I think athletes need to decide on what sport they want to concentrate on IF they want to maximise their potential at that given sport.

Again these are rough guidelines, it really is an individual thing. Coaches need to communicate well with the athlete, get to know him/her well and decide on the best plan for them. Motivation is a big factor also, there is no point in giving a 15 year old kid 5 days of training a week if he has no motivation, he will eventually get tired of it and pack it in. The key, build a group around the athlete and make it as fun as possible. A wise old coach once told me "you cannot give a guy motivation it has to come from within".

Hope that has answered your question.

Tergat

Thanks.

Are young athletes not capable of running everyday in a safe and healthy manner? You've referenced Kenyan runners who have come from a background of running to and from school - do you not think Irish people could handle a similar amount of running at childhood. I'm not suggesting, telling kids to run everday but if kids are happy to run (or do some other activity) everyday I don't see the need to stop them.

ss43 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Are young athletes not capable of running everyday in a safe and healthy manner? You've referenced Kenyan runners who have come from a background of running to and from school - do you not think Irish people could handle a similar amount of running at childhood. I'm not suggesting, telling kids to run everday but if kids are happy to run (or do some other activity) everyday I don't see the need to stop them.

ss43,

I fully agree with you, I would love to see young Irish kids being more active at younger ages and do something most days but the kids these days get very easily bored with training so it is better to progress them bit by bit every year, in the hope they can stay in the sport.

Running most days at a young age is not 'cool' or 'exciting' for Irish kids from my experience. They just dont want to do the work, it is a complete different story in Kenya so we really cant compare ourselves to the Africans. I firmly believe if you got a kid that was willing and had the motivation to start running more from 12-13 years old all way to 18-19 and had talent, you could have a top athlete on your hands. However 99% of Irish kids who would try this would probably be gone from the sport by 18. Unfortunately that is the age we live in, so I think gradual progression over time is the way to go for young Irish distance runners.

Tergat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

For what it's worth I have ran consecutively for the last 53 days, which was triggered by an earlier post by Tergat. My mileage has not increased it has been around my weekly average of 36M per Wk, but I have split a 10k run into 2 days of 6 + 4 particularly on race week.
    During this period of sustained running I have had 8 races, 6 interval sessions and 39 easy days and set a 5k M40 PB by 32 secs and have knocked 1 min off my 2M time.
    I'm really enjoying it, the days when I run the 6 and 4k it's nice to go out knowing there is no pressure or strain, the challenge will come when I increase my mileage to 50 in the Autumn, but I'll do that sensibly, starting after an enforced break in Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭eon1208

Folks,

I received a PM from somebody re taking days off and having limited time etc so I thought I would post the reply below for those who may be interested.

The key tenet of all successful training is found in my adage, "Keep the ball rolling". That means do no training so hard that you can't recover. That means take time off when you really are sick or injured. That means plan your work and work your plan, with intelligent flexibility. That means don't take days off just to be taking days off. Use them when you really need them.

I don't believe a runner should aim for 365 days of consecutive running. In fact, I think streaks beyond 2-3 months often are not wise. Having streaks for the sake of streaks means a runner is ignoring signs and symptoms of poor health or injury or chronic fatigue. It is hard to train wisely all the time; even with an intelligent training plan, simply because one can get sick at work or school or from your kids, if you happen to be a parent. One can strain a muscles running on an uneven surface, ice, or underestimate the heat and humidity. The list of potential problems for runners is long - including things like shoes become slightly too worn out, and out of nowhere you have a sore calf or sore foot or an Achilles Tendon that's tender - so that's why you reserve days off for when your body really needs them.

I believe training commitment is ultimately the number one factor of success. Runners who commit to training at the upper ends of their personal limits say, "I don't care how it is outside or how cold it is. If I have an obligation to go to, I get up early and run before everyone is awake. No excuses for me!" Now, if you want to not reach your potential, take days off just to take them off, but don't complain to other people that you aren't setting personal best times or winning your age category. If you can't commit to running every day
    (taking days off when you only really need them) then learn to live with the fact you're not going to reach your potential.

In the world of running, we have the watch to go by. It doesn't lie! You ran 17:30 a month ago and its 18:00 today. If the weather and course are comparable, then you realize right away you either trained insufficiently or too hard. And, you also have to take ownership of the things you did not do that you should have - like run as often as possible, within the limitations of your lifestyle.

When you commit to running, you run more and train more consistently. When you train more consistently you don't run yourself into the ground in any one workout. Your "off-day," when you don't feel great, is still faster than your old "fresh" days. When you commit to excellence you get the sleep you need, eat the foods you should, and take care of all the most important things. You take off when you really need it - and I mean rest completely when you are sick and injured. As soon as you are not sick or injured, you either cross-train until you are not injured or you run again. You don't waste time!

If you really need to take days off then try to X train on those days with cycling, swimming or aqua jogging!!!

Re training and time. One thing to consider, too, is how much adaptive energy you have at any given moment. If you have plenty of energy, you can combine training elements and develop well. If you don't have that much energy (or time on your hands) then you must work on those things that give you the most benefit for the time you do spend. If you have a goal of being your best in a race 6 months from now, you can train in non-specific ways and develop your capacity to handle intense workout that are specific 4 months from now; using just 2 months of specificity to sharpen your skills. But, if you have only 6 weeks to get ready for a big race, you have to do those workouts and that training which gets you specifically ready to race; within reason.

So, to conclude I'll state two things:

1) You lose what you don't do enough of. If you skip mileage, long runs, and even the stamina zone (what most of you think of as threshold) it'll erode;

2) Use your time and energy wisely and in accordance to what you can realistically manage. You only have so much time and so much energy. If you have more time, do more non-specific work that builds your capacity handle harder workouts with ease. If you have limited time do the workouts that are most specific to your race needs. You probably won't reach your ultimate potential but it's not the point for someone who has limited time.

Tergat
    On my 14th day today of the longest total rest break I have taken since I started running 6 years ago from completely unfit base. Have achieved some magnificent personal peaks resulting in medal winning performances but have laboured in many more valley periods for weeks and months at a time. I would continue to train during these times but my performances either plateau at a reasonable level or nosedive. Anyway I have bitten the bullet, 14th non training day today (was told to do this by a fellow runner), and I will resume training tomorrow. By the way I actually enjoyed non running days giving me the mental and physical break. What do you think ,any pointers going forward. Liked reading your piece....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

In the world of running, we have the watch to go by. It doesn't lie! You ran 17:30 a month ago and its 18:00 today. If the weather and course are comparable, then you realize right away you either trained insufficiently or too hard.

Tergat, Surely training and races is more about where you are in the cycle of priority races. All our training needs to have goals, A races, B races etc and sometimes after a hard training block your more tired than mid way through the last cycle. Taking one race like this I believe is out of context -- its the overall season goals not the individual.

I'n not a believer in 7 day a week training but is really depends on the individual and the program. Sunday has always been my rest day. A day for the family. It does mean three early morning runs but I've found having a full recovery day better. I've come from a pretty tough cycle training year and am about 3 months into Marathon training so I still have lots to learn.

eon1208 wrote: »
    On my 14th day today of the longest total rest break I have taken since I started running 6 years ago from completely unfit base. Have achieved some magnificent personal peaks resulting in medal winning performances but have laboured in many more valley periods for weeks and months at a time. I would continue to train during these times but my performances either plateau at a reasonable level or nosedive. Anyway I have bitten the bullet, 14th non training day today (was told to do this by a fellow runner), and I will resume training tomorrow. By the way I actually enjoyed non running days giving me the mental and physical break. What do you think ,any pointers going forward. Liked reading your piece....

eon1208,

Again it is totally a individual decision, everyone is different. Invaribly if you believe in something it will work for you, so if you believe taking a break gives you a mental and physical break then do so.

My only concern is the time it takes to build back up to fitness again and the risk of injury when starting back after a long break. You have to be very careful and patient when beginning again.

Tergat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

eon1208,if you believe taking a break gives you a mental and physical break then do so

thanks the advice on off season breaks makes total sense. We can see it as a period of constant recovery runs not a break ..... besides its generally cold and raining what else are people going to do?

Tergat, Surely training and races is more about where you are in the cycle of priority races. All our training needs to have goals, A races, B races etc and sometimes after a hard training block your more tired than mid way through the last cycle. Taking one race like this I believe is out of context -- its the overall season goals not the individual.

I'n not a believer in 7 day a week training but is really depends on the individual and the program. Sunday has always been my rest day. A day for the family. It does mean three early morning runs but I've found having a full recovery day better. I've come from a pretty tough cycle training year and am about 3 months into Marathon training so I still have lots to learn.

scottreynolds,

The statement was meant to get across the point that there should be gradual improvement over time, which is fair in my view. I think one would expect to race faster 4-6 weeks later in a training plan (Just simple principals of progression and adaption). Apologies if it wasnt worded correctly.

Re the 7 days a week, it is totally an individual thing as I have stated before. Try things out, find out what works for you and if you believe in it go with it.

Tergat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi Tergat I'm def going to aim for no rest days. I have tried it recently but probably made the jump a bit too quickly. I ran 12 days straight and then 9 but then found myself tired and lazy and ended up taking quite a few days off after ( I must add that I don't seemed to have lost any fitness in this period, maybe down to the consecutive days), I run 6 days a week and cover about 40-45 miles a week. How long should the period be before I step up to 7 days a week.Thanks

• Advertisement

Woddle wrote: »
    Hi Tergat I'm def going to aim for no rest days. I have tried it recently but probably made the jump a bit too quickly. I ran 12 days straight and then 9 but then found myself tired and lazy and ended up taking quite a few days off after ( I must add that I don't seemed to have lost any fitness in this period, maybe down to the consecutive days), I run 6 days a week and cover about 40-45 miles a week. How long should the period be before I step up to 7 days a week.Thanks

Woodle,

When decding to run 7 days a week or stretches of 14-21 days without a day off, you must have the motivation to do so. it is better to take one day off a week than to run 9 days and take 3 off. You wont't lose any futness doing this but you wont gain the fitness you could of using the other route.

The extra day (7th day) can be as little as 20-30 mins very slow, so it isnt much. On this day forget about watches/Heart Rates/Pace and just enjoy being outdoors, fit and healthy.

I'm not advocating running 12 months of the year without any days off. For you maybe start with 8-10 days running, 1 day off and progress to 14 days running then 1 day off for the next few months. In time work towards 21 days running, 1 day off. That should be plenty. But always take a day off if you feel you need it.

The KEY people need to remember is to only work hard (ish) 2 days in the week with all other runs at an easy pace and at least 2 days at very easy pace (day after hard days or race). If you do this consistantly and have patience your race times will improve. If you hammer 4-5 days a week of course you will feel like a day off. I am running 6-7 days a week at the moment myself and my body is fine because I am keeping things under control and the ONLY reason I would take a day off would be pure lazyness.

Tergat

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

Woodle,

When decding to run 7 days a week or stretches of 14-21 days without a day off, you must have the motivation to do so. it is better to take one day off a week than to run 9 days and take 3 off. You wont't lose any futness doing this but you wont gain the fitness you could of using the other route.

The extra day (7th day) can be as little as 20-30 mins very slow, so it isnt much. On this day forget about watches/Heart Rates/Pace and just enjoy being outdoors, fit and healthy.

I'm not advocating running 12 months of the year without any days off. For you maybe start with 8-10 days running, 1 day off and progress to 14 days running then 1 day off for the next few months. In time work towards 21 days running, 1 day off. That should be plenty. But always take a day off if you feel you need it.

The KEY people need to remember is to only work hard (ish) 2 days in the week with all other runs at an easy pace and at least 2 days at very easy pace (day after hard days or race). If you do this consistantly and have patience your race times will improve. If you hammer 4-5 days a week of course you will feel like a day off. I am running 6-7 days a week at the moment myself and my body is fine because I am keeping things under control and the ONLY reason I would take a day off would be pure lazyness.

Tergat

Hi Tergat
    Quick question. How easy is easy?
    If I can race 5:30 a mile for 5 miles, roughly what pace should I do easy runs at do you think?

bo-sco wrote: »
    Hi Tergat
    If I can race 5:30 a mile for 5 miles, roughly what pace should I do easy runs at do you think?

bo-sco,

Some general guidelines below but always take in account that you use CURRENT (TODAYS) 5km pace and take into account the weather, hydration status, glycogen storage, recent sleep patterns, family/work stresses etc.

Recovery Runs- CURRENT 5km pace per mile plus 2.5 mins
    Easy Runs- CURRENT 5km pace per mile plus 2 mins
    Long Tempos- CURRENT 5km pace per mile plus 1.15-1.30 mins
    Medium Tempos- CURRENT 5km pace per mile plus 45-60 secs
    Short Tempo- CURRENT 5km pace per mile plus 30-45 secs
    CV Reps- CURRENT 5km pace per km plus 8-12 secs
    Intervals- done at 400m-10000m race paces

Tergat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Hi Tergat

This is a good guide if you put your 27:30 time in for 5M easy = 6:41 to 7:11 http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm I would use this a guide and run to a percieved easy effort (my PEE is feeling like I can run all day at that speed)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

bo-sco,

Some general guidelines below but always take in account that you use CURRENT (TODAYS) 5km pace and take into account the weather, hydration status, glycogen storage, recent sleep patterns, family/work stresses etc.

Recovery Runs- CURRENT 5km pace per mile plus 2.5 mins
    Easy Runs- CURRENT 5km pace per mile plus 2 mins
    Long Tempos- CURRENT 5km pace per mile plus 1.15-1.30 mins
    Medium Tempos- CURRENT 5km pace per mile plus 45-60 secs
    Short Tempo- CURRENT 5km pace per mile plus 30-45 secs
    CV Reps- CURRENT 5km pace per km plus 8-12 secs
    Intervals- done at 400m-10000m race paces

Tergat
    Thanks tergat! I presume those paces are based on running on tarmac? Therefore if you are running on grass you should add more time to your 5k race pace? Sorry to be so anal but it's something I'd like to get a handle on!

Thanks tergat! I presume those paces are based on running on tarmac? Therefore if you are running on grass you should add more time to your 5k race pace? Sorry to be so anal but it's something I'd like to get a handle on!

bo-sco,

Yes you are dead right, these rough guidelines are taking into account 5km paces on track/road so grass will be a bit slower. Don't forget however these are just guidelines and never forget to listen to your body and go by feel also.

Tergat

Advertisement