Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-07-2009, 23:15   #1
ValerieR

Ikea - Parking Fees ?!

Watched the RTE News at 6pm and heard that there were going to be parking fees for the visitors to IKEA at peak times ...
Not only it will be the only Ikea store that opens at 11am in order to alleviate traffic issues, but it would also be the only one that necessitates parking fees !!!
Does anyone have more information about this ?
Thanks.
ValerieR
Advertisement
13-07-2009, 23:25   #2
Ginny
Hosted Moderator

HMod: RC
I haven;t been able to see any parking machines, I'll see when I'm driving by if they have any barriers.
Belfast Ikea opens at 10am during the week, and TBH as a commuter I'll be happy Ikea won't open earlier as the M50/Ballymun exit is still a bightmare and I could see them opening up earlier once its finished.
13-07-2009, 23:29   #3
phasers

I don't really see the big deal about Ikea

Once the hype dies down it'll just be another furniture shop, why all this whingeing about traffic? Who exactly is going to queue up first thing in the morning for a cheap coffee table?

Implement this for a couple of weeks, maybe a month.
(2) thanks from:
13-07-2009, 23:34   #4
Davy
Category Moderator

I think that was always the plan to have parking fees to help subsidise a home delivery service. Im sure they are going to be small enough, if your going to be spending a few bob on furniture whats an extra fiver! You could always get the bus and have the stuff delivered
13-07-2009, 23:34   #5
Ginny
Hosted Moderator

You;d be surprised, I've no doubt people will be queuing overnight if Ikea do an opening offer. There was a man killed in the UK last year i think at one event.
Just watched the report there, I can't believe they think they can pull a fast one and charge for parking, people really need to tell them to stuff it if they do.
The point is no other Ikea has parking fees, and there's ample enough parking in the Ikea site, Ikea's whole model is to encourage people to browse for longer, charging people for parking is not going to do that.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-07-2009, 23:37   #6
phasers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny View Post
You;d be surprised, I've no doubt people will be queuing overnight if Ikea do an opening offer. There was a man killed in the UK last year i think at one event.
That is mental

Oh God, it just clicked in my head that I'll be going to college pretty close to Ikea. I hope it will have calmed down a bit by September!

Depending on how much the charge is I think it's alright, especially if it's really that popular!
Thanks from:
13-07-2009, 23:40   #7
greendom

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasers View Post
I don't really see the big deal about Ikea

Once the hype dies down it'll just be another furniture shop, why all this whingeing about traffic? Who exactly is going to queue up first thing in the morning for a cheap coffee table?

Implement this for a couple of weeks, maybe a month.
it's certainly far more than just another furniture shop in the UK and I can't see it being any different here. For one thing it has a much greater range and for another it's far cheaper. The food's not bad either
14-07-2009, 15:50   #8

Quote:
Just watched the report there, I can't believe they think they can pull a fast one and charge for parking, people really need to tell them to stuff it if they do.
The point is no other Ikea has parking fees, and there's ample enough parking in the Ikea site, Ikea's whole model is to encourage people to browse for longer, charging people for parking is not going to do that.
This is actually incorrect, the man was stabbed to death a few miles from the actual event and nowhere near the store, but the media being what it is spun it as being at IKEA.
14-07-2009, 15:53   #9

I am working at the new Dublin store (transferred from O/S) and we have just put the machines and barriers in.

I agree we are probably the only IKEA in the world to charge for parking, but don't blame us! It's actually one of the planning regulations put in place before we could open. The local council said we couldn't open early to ease stress on the M50 (as someone mentioned above) so 11am is our opening time.

Another regulation also stated that to discourage people from shopping at peak times and to ease traffic congestion, we need to charge for parking and that it is free in offpeak times.

We'd love to give you free parking, but talk the the council! I think we were just happy to finally get permission to open, and they put about 30 conditions on us and the store before we were given it.
Advertisement
14-07-2009, 16:12   #10
Ginny
Hosted Moderator

All the parking fee is going to do is mess up local traffic, I can imagine a lot of people will just park on the road from ballymun to the M50 or St. Margarets road and walk in.
14-07-2009, 16:27   #11

Hopefully not! But I'm sure people will do anything to not pay for parking, given how many cars I see parked on the pavement on most roads.
14-07-2009, 21:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazwah View Post
I am working at the new Dublin store (transferred from O/S) and we have just put the machines and barriers in.

I agree we are probably the only IKEA in the world to charge for parking, but don't blame us! It's actually one of the planning regulations put in place before we could open. The local council said we couldn't open early to ease stress on the M50 (as someone mentioned above) so 11am is our opening time.

Another regulation also stated that to discourage people from shopping at peak times and to ease traffic congestion, we need to charge for parking and that it is free in offpeak times.

We'd love to give you free parking, but talk the the council! I think we were just happy to finally get permission to open, and they put about 30 conditions on us and the store before we were given it.
What is off peak: 11:00 to 11:05 and 21:50 to 2200?

This will kill it: Belfast here we come.
15-07-2009, 00:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlow52 View Post

Off peak I would assume would be middle of the day. Can't confirm details for you as I'm not sure, but as said before, it was a council condition we had no say in.

Pretty sure parking is free on weekends, and considering over half our customers shop on the weekends (which is why it's so busy and why we trade late on weekdays - to get you in during the week instead of Saturday & Sunday) you can assume that the majority of people will not be affected by having to pay for parking. To be fair to the M50 commuters, imagine trying to get to/from work if we opened at normal IKEA times!

But not long to go now and you can come and see for yourself our shiny new store....

27th July!
15-07-2009, 07:00   #14
The Hill Billy
Prick, with a fork

Quote:
All the parking fee is going to do is mess up local traffic, I can imagine a lot of people will just park on the road from ballymun to the M50 or St. Margarets road and walk in.
I can't imagine too many people carrying sofas, beds or even any quantity of homewares very far. Most people will suck it up & pay the parking fee. No doubt FCC will stick double yellows on any stretch of road that could be used to circumvent the parking fee.
15-07-2009, 17:21   #15
greendom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlow52 View Post

Yeah that makes sense - why pay €2 to park when you can pay €30 to drive to Belfast
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion