Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ikea - Parking Fees ?!

• 13-07-2009 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Watched the RTE News at 6pm and heard that there were going to be parking fees for the visitors to IKEA at peak times ...
    Not only it will be the only Ikea store that opens at 11am in order to alleviate traffic issues, but it would also be the only one that necessitates parking fees !!!
    Does anyone have more information about this ?
    Thanks.
    ValerieR

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I haven;t been able to see any parking machines, I'll see when I'm driving by if they have any barriers.
    Belfast Ikea opens at 10am during the week, and TBH as a commuter I'll be happy Ikea won't open earlier as the M50/Ballymun exit is still a bightmare and I could see them opening up earlier once its finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I don't really see the big deal about Ikea :confused:

Once the hype dies down it'll just be another furniture shop, why all this whingeing about traffic? Who exactly is going to queue up first thing in the morning for a cheap coffee table?

Implement this for a couple of weeks, maybe a month.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I think that was always the plan to have parking fees to help subsidise a home delivery service. Im sure they are going to be small enough, if your going to be spending a few bob on furniture whats an extra fiver! You could always get the bus and have the stuff delivered ;)

You;d be surprised, I've no doubt people will be queuing overnight if Ikea do an opening offer. There was a man killed in the UK last year i think at one event.
    Just watched the report there, I can't believe they think they can pull a fast one and charge for parking, people really need to tell them to stuff it if they do.
    The point is no other Ikea has parking fees, and there's ample enough parking in the Ikea site, Ikea's whole model is to encourage people to browse for longer, charging people for parking is not going to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Ginny wrote: »
    You;d be surprised, I've no doubt people will be queuing overnight if Ikea do an opening offer. There was a man killed in the UK last year i think at one event.
    That is mental :eek:

Oh God, it just clicked in my head that I'll be going to college pretty close to Ikea. I hope it will have calmed down a bit by September!

Depending on how much the charge is I think it's alright, especially if it's really that popular!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

phasers wrote: »
    I don't really see the big deal about Ikea :confused:

Once the hype dies down it'll just be another furniture shop, why all this whingeing about traffic? Who exactly is going to queue up first thing in the morning for a cheap coffee table?

Implement this for a couple of weeks, maybe a month.

it's certainly far more than just another furniture shop in the UK and I can't see it being any different here. For one thing it has a much greater range and for another it's far cheaper. The food's not bad either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bazwah

Just watched the report there, I can't believe they think they can pull a fast one and charge for parking, people really need to tell them to stuff it if they do.
    The point is no other Ikea has parking fees, and there's ample enough parking in the Ikea site, Ikea's whole model is to encourage people to browse for longer, charging people for parking is not going to do that.

This is actually incorrect, the man was stabbed to death a few miles from the actual event and nowhere near the store, but the media being what it is spun it as being at IKEA.

I am working at the new Dublin store (transferred from O/S) and we have just put the machines and barriers in.

I agree we are probably the only IKEA in the world to charge for parking, but don't blame us! It's actually one of the planning regulations put in place before we could open. The local council said we couldn't open early to ease stress on the M50 (as someone mentioned above) so 11am is our opening time.

Another regulation also stated that to discourage people from shopping at peak times and to ease traffic congestion, we need to charge for parking and that it is free in offpeak times.

We'd love to give you free parking, but talk the the council! :) I think we were just happy to finally get permission to open, and they put about 30 conditions on us and the store before we were given it.

All the parking fee is going to do is mess up local traffic, I can imagine a lot of people will just park on the road from ballymun to the M50 or St. Margarets road and walk in.

Hopefully not! But I'm sure people will do anything to not pay for parking, given how many cars I see parked on the pavement on most roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Bazwah wrote: »
    I am working at the new Dublin store (transferred from O/S) and we have just put the machines and barriers in.

I agree we are probably the only IKEA in the world to charge for parking, but don't blame us! It's actually one of the planning regulations put in place before we could open. The local council said we couldn't open early to ease stress on the M50 (as someone mentioned above) so 11am is our opening time.

Another regulation also stated that to discourage people from shopping at peak times and to ease traffic congestion, we need to charge for parking and that it is free in offpeak times.

We'd love to give you free parking, but talk the the council! :) I think we were just happy to finally get permission to open, and they put about 30 conditions on us and the store before we were given it.

What is off peak: 11:00 to 11:05 and 21:50 to 2200?

This will kill it: Belfast here we come.

Carlow52 wrote: »

Off peak I would assume would be middle of the day. Can't confirm details for you as I'm not sure, but as said before, it was a council condition we had no say in.

Pretty sure parking is free on weekends, and considering over half our customers shop on the weekends (which is why it's so busy and why we trade late on weekdays - to get you in during the week instead of Saturday & Sunday) you can assume that the majority of people will not be affected by having to pay for parking. To be fair to the M50 commuters, imagine trying to get to/from work if we opened at normal IKEA times!

But not long to go now and you can come and see for yourself our shiny new store....

27th July!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

All the parking fee is going to do is mess up local traffic, I can imagine a lot of people will just park on the road from ballymun to the M50 or St. Margarets road and walk in.

I can't imagine too many people carrying sofas, beds or even any quantity of homewares very far. Most people will suck it up & pay the parking fee. No doubt FCC will stick double yellows on any stretch of road that could be used to circumvent the parking fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yeah that makes sense - why pay €2 to park when you can pay €30 to drive to Belfast :rolleyes:

greendom wrote: »
    Yeah that makes sense - why pay €2 to park when you can pay €30 to drive to Belfast :rolleyes:

And also waste 4 hours in traffic getting there and back :)

We'll hopefully surprise you all with our shiny new store which is opening very soon...... (it's massive compared to Belfast!).

greendom wrote: »

Indeed and buy the petrol up there.
    Call in to Sainburys off-licence which is next door as well.

The 6.5% VAT differential until 31/12/09 will also help on big IKEA purchases

Indeed and buy the petrol up there.
    Call in to Sainburys off-licence which is next door as well.

The 6.5% VAT differential until 31/12/09 will also help on big IKEA purchases

Most of that will be offset by the fact that the pound is getting stronger. A couple of months ago the euro and pound were level, now the pound is worth 1.15+ euros. Cheaper to shop down here the stronger the pound gets.

Most of that will be offset by the fact that the pound is getting stronger. A couple of months ago the euro and pound were level, now the pound is worth 1.15+ euros. Cheaper to shop down here the stronger the pound gets.

I bought petrol in Sainsbury last week at 94 stg pence, it was 1.21 euro in my local garage.

The key factor will be what euro prices will be posted by IKEA and what range of stuff will be offered and what the delivery charges will be.

re your: And also waste 4 hours in traffic getting there and back

not if u go food/drink shopping as well.

As an example, when pedigree chum dog food is on special in Sainsburys, if we buy 24 tins, it pays for the petrol to/from Newry.

We will have slightly more articles in the store compared to Belfast, but there are a handful of articles we cannot stock, but these aren't best selling items so you'd never notice :)

And you can always find a way to make the trip worth your while, but time is the biggest factor. Either way we'd love to see you in either store!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Either way we'd love to see you in either store!

Do you work on commission? :pac:

• Advertisement

We will have slightly more articles in the store compared to Belfast, but there are a handful of articles we cannot stock, but these aren't best selling items so you'd never notice :)

And you can always find a way to make the trip worth your while, but time is the biggest factor. Either way we'd love to see you in either store!
    :)
    showing some of the customer service that is sadly lacking down here.
    Over and out

And also waste 4 hours in traffic getting there and back :)

We'll hopefully surprise you all with our shiny new store which is opening very soon...... (it's massive compared to Belfast!).
    4 hours from Belfast?
    Not at all at the max 2.5 hrs.
    So do we know what difference in Sterling Vs Euro we will have in the new store?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭jacool

Surely the Belfast or Dublin times depend on your starting point !
    Not everyone lives in Dublin.

Secondly, would there be anything illegal in IKEA allowing you use your parking receipt as money off against your purchase ?
    When I was in the UK many car parks did this, plus you got an extra voucher on the back of your ticket. I didn't have a car but bought the minimum ticket for two reasons.
    1. I got the money back off my shopping anyway.
    2. I could then do a BOGOF on a Big Mac !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

jacool wrote: »

Secondly, would there be anything illegal in IKEA allowing you use your parking receipt as money off against your purchase ?
    When I was in the UK many car parks did this, plus you got an extra voucher on the back of your ticket. I didn't have a car but bought the minimum ticket for two reasons.
    1. I got the money back off my shopping anyway.
    2. I could then do a BOGOF on a Big Mac !!

IKEA is not British .

I want to know will they be selling the lovely meatballs in the resturant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

BVB wrote: »
    IKEA is not British .

I don't think the poster was inferring that IKEA was British.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

What is to say that the barriers will stay working? :eek:

jacool wrote: »
    My times were relating from the Ikea in Ballymun to the Ikea in Belfast

4 hours from Belfast?
    Not at all at the max 2.5 hrs.
    So do we know what difference in Sterling Vs Euro we will have in the new store?

I was also referring to "there and back", I've done the drive and it took a couple of hours each way, so 4 hours there and back is fairly accurate, maybe you're a faster driver than me :)

BVB wrote: »
    IKEA is not British .

OF COURSE! There has to be....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Niamhb5

just wanted to add that we were charged for parking in the Ikea in Zurich!

Advertisement