Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Further heavy rain and storm risk tonight, 2nd/3rd July (East, Midlands and North)

Options
  • 02-07-2009 8:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭

Latest model output shows that tonight looks like it will turn very wet across most of the country from midnight with potentially thundery and very heavy rain bringing the risk of flooding. The battle between the airmasses will be fought for a second time tonight over the Eastern portion of Ireland. Dublin looks most at risk for thundery imports from Wales and flood risk along with the East, Northeast, North and North Midlands. Once again localised high rainfall rates are forcast on the models.

Rtavn184.png

18-574.GIF?02-12

Fax chart for 12pm today shows the fronts in the west which are bringing the isolated thundery rain there. That should die out tonight but the fronts will become active again as they move northeast

bracka.gif

Just be aware of this for tomorrows rush hour when some disruption is likely. Thunderstorms and flash flooding are also possible. Give yourself some extra time.

To follow developments on radar and satellite

Met.ie radar

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

UK radar

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Satellite

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

The Southeast will be first to see heavy rain just heading into the early hours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

there is further torrential rain and thuderstorm activity moving through west mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hi darkman2 whats the chances of storms in the West tonight/tomorrow.

just on RTE Radio now very bad flooding in Mayo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

The showers in Mayo are organised along a trough - this is going to move Eastward over night so those showers will ease through the evening. The same front will effect other parts later. Meanwhile just scattered showers will move into the west - some of these will be heavy tomorrow but nothing like today. Tonight they won't be as vigorous and should be well scattered. We are still in quite humid air and minimum temperatures tonight won't drop below 15 or 16C for many again.

On another point the trough in the west atm represents the real difference in airmass. When it moves away to the Northeast tomorrow the decrease in humidity will be very noticable. This should be the last really uncomfortable night for sleeping which is good news for me and most of us certainly. I have found the nights very uncomfortable.

Just to add I don't think tonight will be as bad as last night in the east. Well, hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 pfk-0p

when you say thundery imports, do you mean more thunderstorms or just thundery rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

i guess that means cycling to work is out of hte question

were those floods last night predicted by the weather heads?

• Advertisement

pfk-0p wrote: »
    when you say thundery imports, do you mean more thunderstorms or just thundery rain?

Could be either - impossible to be specific. Like last night, I don't think anyone expected the thunderstorms to last as long as they did. At worst I thought if there were storms they would be sporadic and short lived. Turned out differently. I don't think the charts suggest anything worse then last night. I don't think it will be that bad. But storms are still possible. Just have to wait and see.

The water table is high in the Dublin area now aswell so it would not take too much to see more surface water like this morning.

In the unlikely event that something similar to last night occurs and things get that bad......I heard the word "inconcievable" for a repeat of last night from the met today....I hope for their sake that is not a Michael Fish moment (he of the "it will be bit breezy in the Channel" fame on the storm that devastated Southern England in the late 80's). I can imagine the uproar tomorrow in the media if there was anything like last night tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

darkman2 wrote: »
    In the unlikely event that something similar to last night occurs and things get that bad......I heard the word "inconcievable" for a repeat of last night from the met today....I hope for their sake that is not a Michael Fish moment (he of the "it will be bit breezy" fame on the storm that devastated Southern England in the late 80's). I can imagine the uproar tomorrow in the media if there was anything like last night tonight.

this is why i was asking if last night's was predicted

was it?

i now have the john kettly is the weather man song in my head

marbar wrote: »
    this is why i was asking if last night's was predicted

was it?

i now have the john kettly is the weather man song in my head

Met Eireann only got around to it at 9pm last night but did not, for some reason, extend their warning to the tv forecasts. So basically most that were flooded this morning were not expecting it. They should have mentioned it. Although in fairness the presenter did mention the fact it would rain on the tv forecasts. It was not adequate though IMO. Basically they did not predict the extent of the rainfall and never mentioned thunderstorms at all. Just by looking at the charts yesterday it was pretty obvious there was a flood risk.

I would prefer to let people know if there is a risk. I could be completely wrong. I was wrong last night about the extent of the thunder and lightning. Nothing might happen tonight but I would prefer people in the morning to say "ah you got it wrong" then see people flooded out of their homes and not prepared or spending an age getting to work. Then others would be on here saying to posters if there was flooding - "why did'nt you mention anything?" MT Cranium's forecast was more accurate then mine last night btw. The forecast thread he started is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Met Eireann only got around to it at 9pm last night but did not, for some reason, extend their warning to the tv forecasts. So basically most that were flooded this morning were not expecting it. They should have mentioned it. Although in fairness the presenter did mention the fact it would rain on the tv forecasts. It was not adequate though IMO. Basically they did not predict the extent of the rainfall and never mentioned thunderstorms at all. Just by looking at the charts yesterday it was pretty obvious there was a flood risk.

I would prefer to let people know if there is a risk. I could be completely wrong. I was wrong last night about the extent of the thunder and lightning. Nothing might happen tonight but I would prefer people in the morning to say "ah you got it wrong" then see people flooded out of their homes and not prepared or spending an age getting to work. Then others would be on here saying to posters if there was flooding - "why did'nt you mention anything?" MT Cranium's forecast was more accurate then mine last night btw. The forecast thread he started is very good.

If ever I saw a perfect example of patting oneself on ones back, this has to be it. For the record, Met Eireann since 4.00pm yesterday spoke of potentially severe downpours today with the possibility of local flooding. That is what happened, no more, no less. I notice you Darkman, did not mention the storm and flooding risk for the west of Ireland today, which was just as intense as what was experienced in other parts this morning. Nor did I see you predict the intense storms that hit Donegal a couple of weeks ago in which over 50mm fell in just 3 hours. If you insist on continuously self congratulating yourself, please make sure you have reason too. As you also played down the possibility of thunder yesterday in your opening post. ;)

I was not in a posistion to contribute to the forum during the day today so I think you being%

• Advertisement

What you contribute Darkman, is pure imbism. Like I said, you did not predict the storms in the west today, which met eireann did, since yesterday. Why do you feel the need to cut down met eireann at every given opportunity? Is it to make yourself look bigger or something? Met Eireann have not been wrong regarding today, as admitedly you have not. But the difference between professionals and wannabe's is that that they don't home in on ones backyard while ignoring the rest.

Jez Deep Easterly lighten up on darkman2 I think he did a great job yesterday his forecast was spot on, as he says this is a hobby for him and I am sure its the same for all on the board.

I find Met Eireann are very slow to issue warnings especially in Winter when the UK Met Office issue severe weather alerts for storms Met Eireann never seem to do the same. I find them gone very bad of late with forecasts never really sure how the weather is going to pan out even for the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dublinhead

there is further torrential rain and thuderstorm activity moving through west mayo

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0702/dublin.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Thunder and Lightening now in Carlow town.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Jez Deep Easterly lighten up on darkman2 I think he did a great job yesterday his forecast was spot on, as he says this is a hobby for him and I am sure its the same for all on the board.

Yes, he did a "great job". But so did met eireann. There is no reason as far as I can see as to why he is slagging them off once again. His comments are extremely unfair and unjust.

:confused: They got it wrong - not entirely, they put a warning on their website at 9pm - why was that not put on the tv forecast? Do you not think that is where most get their weather info from? Sorry but it was incompetent. And FYI I am overall happy with Met Eireann. Nobody get's it right all the time. My point is they should have put the warning they belatedly gave on the tv forecasts. I also cannot be here every hour of the day giving forecasts - I would have, and have done many times, started threads on events elsewhere in the country. I don't see any of your prediction here funnily enough but you are prepared to criticise others.

I don't mind criticism btw and don't pat myself on the back either and never have done on this board.

CroppyBoy how many strikes per second? and rain rate if you have it? :)

I don't mind criticism btw and don't pat myself on the back either and never have done on this board.

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Can we get back on topic here please. This bickering is annoying when all I and others want to find out about is the heavy rain and storm risk. Perhaps a separate thread would be more suitable for any bickering relating to Met Eireann's forecasting abilities. It's starting to look like a thread one of the British weather forums....one with "net" and "weather" in the URL!!! ;)

Looks like a possible cell has formed over the Carlow area. Looks still quite dry in the east....for now!

And the south east of England looks like it's about to get a hammering! :eek::eek::eek:

highdef wrote: »
    Can we get back on topic here please. This bickering is annoying when all I and others want to find out about is the heavy rain and storm risk. Perhaps a separate thread would be more suitable for any bickering relating to Met Eireann's forecasting abilities. It's starting to look like a thread one of the British weather forums....one with "net" and "weather" in the URL!!! ;)

Looks like a possible cell has formed over the Carlow area. Looks still quite dry in the east....for now!

And the south east of England looks like it's about to get a hammering! :eek::eek::eek:

Yeah ive been looking at Southeast England and the Channel on radar. Serious stuff there.

The cell over Carlow is moving just slightly West of a Northerly direction and into Laois. Radar suggests quite intense rainfall. If someone there could give us more info t'would be great.

The trough in the Irish Sea also looks like it is about to become active. Might be some sparks visible from the East coast in the next few hours maybe especially if the cloud breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chris2007

any chance of thunderstorm activity in dublin tonight?

• Advertisement

There is a chance alright especially later. If not overhead Irish Sea storms should be visible from the coast. Equally there may be no storms. It's just a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

CroppyBoy how many strikes per second? and rain rate if you have it? :)

Seems to have quitened down a little, about one strike every 4-5 mins or so. Its reaining pretty hard now, I dont know what the rate is but the station is saying there has been 3.6mm the past hour.

Hi darkman 2

Do you think that the large white clouds showing up on this link at the South West of Ireland are Thunder Storms if they are they could hit the West Coast by morning.

http://www.sat24.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Lights are flickering here.

If the Irish model Hirlam is proved correct, then that thunderstorm over the SE is the initial stages of the cold front becoming invigorated again. Heavy showers or longer periods of heavy rain are possible anywhere east of a line stretching from from Sligo to Wexford. High totals are quite possible once again locally with north Leinster and south Ulster most at risk at this stage. However, with these type of set ups, things can change over a small time so all eyes to the sky.

Edit. Posted in wrong thread earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

The cell over Carlow is moving just slightly West of a Northerly direction and into Laois. Radar suggests quite intense rainfall. If someone there could give us more info t'would be great.

Did somebody call? :D

No rain here in Portlaoise yet but I have seen four or five flashes off in the Carlow direction since just before 11.30 p.m. and I've heard a couple of distant rumbles so something is definitely brewing south of here. As I said, though, no rain as yet. I'll keep you informed as much as I can....... until all hell breaks loose and I have to plug out everything, that is! :D

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Hi darkman 2

Do you think that the large white clouds showing up on this link at the South West of Ireland are Thunder Storms if they are they could hit the West Coast by morning.

http://www.sat24.com/

Judging by the profile of the cluster of clouds on Satellite they are almost certainly T's - and yes they will hit the Southwest tomorrow morning but the models show that it will be in weakened form. Perhaps not thunderstorms by then but you never know. Your right to track them anyway. They are then due to spread up the western half of the country with the days heat sparking them off once more.

Thanks for that darkman2 would love to be in the South of England toninght they are going to get some Storm looking at the clouds in that link.

If the Irish model Hirlam is proved correct, then that thunderstorm over the SE is the initial stages of the cold front becoming invigorated again. Heavy showers or longer periods of heavy rain are possible anywhere east of a line stretching from from Sligo to Wexford. High totals are quite possible once again locally with north Leinster and south Ulster most at risk at this stage. However, with these type of set ups, things can change over a small time so all eyes to the sky.

Edit. Posted in wrong thread earlier.

That is what is progged alright - it's just a case of waiting....patiently. It could spark in the Irish Sea which might be of little use to most of Leinster but East Ulster would have a fun night in that circumstance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

id say we had about 5/6 flashes of lightning here in Carlow all over a ten minute period max.

Advertisement