Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-07-2009, 13:34   #1
all_smilz

Send a message via MSN to all_smilz Send a message via Yahoo to all_smilz
what is good to eat after gym?

I always find i am ravenously snacky after being in the gym which is ok in the middle of the day cause i can have my lunch or dinner after but what about at NIGHT? I try not to go too late (usually around 8pm) so that i am not home and hungry before bed....
Should i have protein or what? am confused.... i know i shouldnt eat so late but i really want "something" just after the gym.... what are the rules with this?
Advertisement
01-07-2009, 13:41   #2
pappukanghi

It depends upon the work-out you do in gym. But generally speaking you must eat enough so that
1) You body does not starve during night (yes it is a long 8-9 hour break before you have breakfast) and start using muscle as source of energy.
2) Based on your work-out you have enough nutrients (protiens, carbs, fats etc) to have a proper repair of the damage done by the work-out.

PK
Thanks from:
01-07-2009, 13:41   #3
DoireNod

It depends on what and how you are training and what your goals are really, could you clarify? You don't want to starve your body anyway.

At the minute I'm taking 3 small shakes a day on top of my meals. I put 1 scoop into my 'Big Breakfast Bonanza' shake (where I include oats, wheatgerm, fruit and fruitjuice) in the morning, 1-2 scoops with water into my post-workout shake, and then 1 scoop with milk an hour or so before I go to bed.
01-07-2009, 13:44   #4
pacman.podge
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Send a message via MSN to pacman.podge
drink mi wadi (not the one which says no added suger... the other one) and put some salt into the mi wadi and water mix! this brings up ur salt levels which ya loose through sweetin!! also something sugary is good like a mars bar!! gives u energy and sugar after it has been lost!

P.S. protein drinks are expensive piss and eating healthy foods with protein is 10 times better!!!!!! most of us get enough protein in our diat anyways!!
Thanks from:
01-07-2009, 13:45   #5
all_smilz

i am just in process of losing weight and getting fit... i am beginning to do some resistance training, i would def not be into shakes etc... just regular food....
Advertisement
01-07-2009, 13:50   #6
all_smilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman.podge View Post
drink mi wadi (not the one which says no added suger... the other one) and put some salt into the mi wadi and water mix! this brings up ur salt levels which ya loose through sweetin!! also something sugary is good like a mars bar!! gives u energy and sugar after it has been lost!

P.S. protein drinks are expensive piss and eating healthy foods with protein is 10 times better!!!!!! most of us get enough protein in our diat anyways!!

thanks, i dont think i could get away with eating mars bars or would be able to stop at one cos chocolate is a SERIOUS weakness of mine....
i recently bought and drank a chocolate flavoured protein drink.... it was VILE....
so is a yogurt ok? or a bit of cheese? or slice of wholemeal toast or an egg or something good? am i better to stick with nuts or fruit?
01-07-2009, 13:57   #7
itsallaboutheL
Closed Account

Quote:

Mars bar = healthy food??

Why exactly are protein drinks expensive piss
01-07-2009, 13:58   #8
pappukanghi

Even though diet is major part for losing weight and becoming fit, so is proper planning and tracking.

What targets do you have? 'I want to lose weight' is not enough. How much do you want lose? What is your target time to lose that weight? Have small attainable targets for every month and stick to them, tweaking your work-outs according to the results.

Do you track whatever you eat? To get fit you need proper intake. Too much of calories will not let you lose weight even though they might be coming from 'healthy' foods.

Do you keep track of your progress in exercise? Keep a log of what weights you did, what speed/time you ran and so on.

If there is no discipline, healthy foods alone will not help you.

Protein shakes are no silver bullet and are not to be taken as main source of nutrients. No body is telling you to do so. They are supplements (repeat - supplements). If you feel your diet is good, leave the shakes out of your menu.

Last edited by pappukanghi; 01-07-2009 at 14:02.
Thanks from:
01-07-2009, 14:01   #9
bladespin

Would definately advise trying a protein shake, never really considered it myslef either until recently.
Mix it with milk (low fat if needed) and it tastes much better, cheap ones can be really nasty with water, some of the better quality shakes taste nice.
Advertisement
01-07-2009, 14:10   #10
corkcomp

Send a message via MSN to corkcomp
basically you need a moderately sized balanced meal (meat, 2 veg and potato would be fine!) that wont let you hungry but at the same time wont cancel out the gym work!!

The average gym goer doesnt need to take on simple sugars like sports drinks + mars bars after a gym session and if your trying to loose weight I definately wouldnt ... if you do fancy a choc bar or any other junk though, the hour after an intense workout is a good time to indulge
01-07-2009, 14:13   #11
pacman.podge
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Send a message via MSN to pacman.podge
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallaboutheL View Post
Mars bar = healthy food??

Why exactly are protein drinks expensive piss

its not thats its healthy. its just bad to work ou and not replace the lost sugars hence you often feel weak after training etc.... by a mars bar i mean in general terms.. even a biscuit like!!

protein shakes are ok if you are doing some serious max strength weights!! but if its for weight loss/fitness dont bother!! and alot of protein shakes are made in factories where steriods are made!

and yes yogurt is good after training!!
Thanks from:
01-07-2009, 14:14   #12
cardio,shoot me

pacman.podge you are so misinformed, try posting accurate information and enough of this senseless crap. Proteins made in factories producing steriods? do you even know why steroids are produced?
01-07-2009, 14:22   #13
d'Oracle

Quote:

nd alot of protein shakes are made in factories where steriods are made!
No.
That is silly.
(2) thanks from:
01-07-2009, 14:24   #14
all_smilz

yes i have goals, i didnt even think of bringing them into my post cos i just wanna know what suitable food groups i can snack on post an evening work out.... so im not eating too much or the wrong thing quite late in the day....
yogurts are ok. thats a good start.
i DONT want to get into the protein shake thing. I read a lot of posts from a lot of ppl who take them but from what i see those posters are in a different place to me -diet and fitness wise....
01-07-2009, 14:25   #15
itsallaboutheL
Closed Account

Quote:
its not thats its healthy. its just bad to work ou and not replace the lost sugars hence you often feel weak after training etc.... by a mars bar i mean in general terms.. even a biscuit like!!

protein shakes are ok if you are doing some serious max strength weights!! but if its for weight loss/fitness dont bother!! and alot of protein shakes are made in factories where steriods are made!

and yes yogurt is good after training!!

jesus thanks, i had no idea!! my friend was taking this pink stuff i think its called maxi-muscle...is that a steeroid? wil i tell him to stop? he wanted me to try some of it, but i didn't.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion