Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford 2009

Options
  • 23-06-2009 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭

I know its still
    67days 19hrs 31min. 06sec. Before Start

I'm just wondering if many will be doing the Sean Kelly this year? I have never done it but will be this time around. Not sure which course people are going for but I would hope for the The Kelly Comeragh Challenge. Can anyone tell me what are the two catagory1 climbs like? Does this mean extra hill climbing work out or are they just to hevey climbs that will be remembered? The site makes them sound undoable. What distance and height are these monsters? Cheers for now.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I most likely will be doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

I will be doing it. The big climbs on the 160km route are hard but doable - nothing extraordinary compared to the climbs in the Wicklow 200 or the Mount Leinster. Doing the hill workouts now will make things more enjoyable on the day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Did the 160 last year, it was my 1st sportive - will be doing it this year again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Doing this. I've heard it's comparable with, if not slightly easier than the W200.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm moving house that weekend, so out again this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

should be in for this too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I'm signed up for this one.
    100km last year - very enjoyable.
    Doing the 160km this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

I know its still

I'm just wondering if many will be doing the Sean Kelly this year? I have never done it but will be this time around. Not sure which course people are going for but I would hope for the The Kelly Comeragh Challenge. Can anyone tell me what are the two catagory1 climbs like? Does this mean extra hill climbing work out or are they just to hevey climbs that will be remembered? The site makes them sound undoable. What distance and height are these monsters? Cheers for now.....

I was up in mahon falls just yesterday. It was a warm day and a tough one but enjoyable. I find the climb before the cattle grid is tough but after that i find it some what doable. Make no mistakes you would want to be doing some sort of hill training. Remember your hitting that with 100km or more in the legs. But with some training i'm sure u'll be grand .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I'm aiming for it too, dunno if I'll do the 160 or accompany herself on the 100, it should be her comeback after collarbone breakage.

kenmc wrote: »
    I'm aiming for it too, dunno if I'll do the 160 or accompany herself on the 100, it should be her comeback after collarbone breakage.
    How is that healing btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

I'm in

Last year was also my first sportive - eating my handlebars going up Mahon Falls probably gave that away...

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    I'm in

Last year was also my first sportive - eating my handlebars going up Mahon Falls probably gave that away...

We can't wait to see that mankini going up Seskin hill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

I know its still

They're doable alright. Seskin is short, probably not even 2km but very steep, kicks up at the end something rotten.
    Easier than that one out of Kilcrohane though.
    Mahon Falls is hard, I was up there a few times in the weeks before Wicklow and found it tougher than anything on Wicklow.
    But very doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭Junior

I rode the 100k last weekend in training, hopefully the wind stays as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nochainnoni

i did the 50k last summer(i didnt train at all) it was tough but not too bad! im doing the 100k this year!! i cant wait!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

How is that healing btw?
    Looks like a 1 inch overlap :(. Xrays on thursday so will know more then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

I'm hoping planning to do the 160km this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I should be doing the 160km. I reckon the climbing is about as difficult as the Wicklow 200, the event is just a bit shorter which makes it a bit easier overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DrGroove

Yeap - I'll be doing the 160km this year.

As a survivor of the W200 this year I and optimistic - the danger is that I'll
    be in the USA for three weeks prior to the big day so have to rent and
    keep up some training over there and not let myself go to hell on all that
    flash fried fast food.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I will have to be there too, this year bringing the brother on the 100k, he has only started out on a bike literally this weekend (a build of one of those Aldi frames, must put pics up later). Its the one spin of the year that I do with family for leisure rather than with the racing lads for pain !

By the way, should have some spaces available in Waterford for Boardsies who are stuck for accomodation again this year. Not sure how many spaces yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I know its still

showry wrote: »
    They're doable alright. Seskin is short, probably not even 2km but very steep, kicks up at the end something rotten.
    Easier than that one out of Kilcrohane though.
    Mahon Falls is hard, I was up there a few times in the weeks before Wicklow and found it tougher than anything on Wicklow.
    But very doable.

Did the 160km the last two years - it's very doable if you've the training put in and if you've gotten to a few other sportives between the 100 and 200km over the summer in the run up to it - that said the operative word in the title Kelly Comeragh Challenge is definitely Challenge.

Seskin is a sharp short PITA of a hill with a hairpin in the middle giving a bit of respite before facing round 2 which will tempt you to put the foot on the ground.

Powers the Pot (?) is the next climb - longish but fair - a tempo affair at worst.

The final named climb is Mahon Falls - I thought we had most of the tough climbs in the country sewn up in Kerry before meeting this - it's a tester to be sure, shorter but I figure steeper than the Conor Pass with a kick at the end 100 meters. The descent is a bit of fun too (read steep and death grip on brakes).

There is an unrated/named climb in the road home after that - nothing seroius in the slightest, it's a bit like Molls Gap when doing the ROK in that the climb isn't a tough one only there's a fair few Kms in the legs when you get to it. After that you're on the gallop home :D

I'd totally recommend the SKT 160. It's very well marshalled and supported (if they run it like last Saturdays Tour de Burren it'll be the best sportive going IMHO) there's a great atmosphere on it and afterwards the sense of achievement and the endorphin buzz will have you smiling for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I will have to be there too, this year bringing the brother on the 100k, he has only started out on a bike literally this weekend (a build of one of those Aldi frames, must put pics up later). Its the one spin of the year that I do with family for leisure rather than with the racing lads for pain !

By the way, should have some spaces available in Waterford for Boardsies who are stuck for accomodation again this year. Not sure how many spaces yet.

Can I tentatively ask for a berth? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Lads, you should try Mahon falls from the other side (i.e. the one you descend on the Sean Kelly tour)., I had been down it a hundred times before I decided on a whim to climb it from that direction. If any of the Waterford boardsies haven't had the pleasure I recommend it wholeheartedly. It feels twice as steep. Love/Hate it depending on my mood.

Lads, you should try Mahon falls from the other side (i.e. the one you descend on the Sean Kelly tour)., I had been down it a hundred times before I decided on a whim to climb it from that direction. If any of the Waterford boardsies haven't had the pleasure I recommend it wholeheartedly. It feels twice as steep. Love/Hate it depending on my mood.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Does it involve crampons, climbing ropes, harnesses and carabiners??!

Seriously though - fair f*ckin play. I love my descending but that's some steep mother, too much for my fun, climbing it must be interesting

Me and niceonetom did it last year, It wasn't that bad... we did the SK side and once we were on the other side, went right back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Me and niceonetom did it last year, It wasn't that bad... we did the SK side and once we were on the other side, went right back up.

what a glutens for punishment...

what a glutens for punishment...
    wasn't my idea ...
    i don't mind climbs, i am just sh!t at them. i am a rouleur.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fixieboy

Myself and the lad I was cycling with got FIVE punctures between us doing the SK160 last year.

Superb backup vans were on hand (we decided to take their mobile numbers after the second puncture) throughout the day.

Mahon Falls is tougher than anything in the W200 - there again I had had three punctures at that stage so perhaps my mental state made the difficulty of the climb worse than it was in reality.

On the day of the SK?!

• Advertisement

CheGuedara wrote: »
    On the day of the SK?!
    Oh No, about a months after.

Advertisement