Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Augmented / Virtual reality and airsoft.

Options
  • 09-06-2009 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWPhVmhbH9I

Pretty cool if you ask me. I might consider doing something like this for my final year project. It would be awesome if they incorporated some kind of game play element in to the simulation.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Its not augmented reality BTW. Augment Reality layers digital images over real ones like a HUD but sticky to objects in the real world. Its pretty cool.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/augmented-reality.htm

AR Airsoft would have target indication and stats layered on top of an actual game. The above is a combat simulator that uses an AEG.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Is it me... or do people not want to go out to skirmish anymore? :D I know chairsofters like to eat thier lard butties and post on forums... but some of us like the mud, sweat, and burning muscles after a game :D

Interesting concept, pretty dead ended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

This technology is new to me, but I'd imagine there is quite a bit of potential in it. The ability to produce statistics about a player's shooting, teaching about ballistics physics and even just the fun in game play.

While it would be no substitute for skirmishing, it could give a player the opportunity to simulate scenarios with a higher degree of believability that skirmishing could not. For instance, thick jungle fights, arctic fights, or even realistic models of historical fights that it would be near impossible to recreate on the skirmish site. An exact 3d replica of Omaha beach springs to mind.

It does have potential.. but this sort of thing with stats recording only breads more of the paintball style penis measuring ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Toasty113

AR would be cool in airsoft, albeit its probably going to be part of life in the future. Rews definition of AR, not that arcadia crap btw.

And I agree with firekitten, nothing like the feeling of mud in your boots in the morning:D

Wouldnt say its a dead ended concept though

isnt it somewhat like reverse engineering airsoft back into video game form?

Firekitten wrote: »
    isnt it somewhat like reverse engineering airsoft back into video game form?
    Well since first person shooters and air soft are both simulations of real or pseudo real combat scenarios, then no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Seems a bit pointless tbh, unless it was cheap enough to have one at home, but even then, I'd rather play Call of Duty or Counter Strike to be honest. Alternatively, I could go to an arcade and play Time Crisis....or even, maybe, just maybe, go out and play an actual game of airsoft :)

but isnt airsoft a more realistic representation than computer games? surely they are a step behind airsoft in the evolution of combat simulation?

• Advertisement

The difference is that you're not using the same skill set when doing those than you would if you were in a simulator like the one in the op.

In my opinion the fact that you are using the same skills to aim and reload as you are in reality adds to the belief factor of the game and the player automatically becomes more involved in the game.
    but isnt airsoft a more realistic representation than computer games? surely they are a step behind airsoft in the evolution of combat simulation?
    They both shine in different areas. Realistically, it the question comes down to which is more believable to the player, a skirmish airsoft scenario or a video game using an airsoft gun to control the game avatar?

In most scenarios, airsoft is more believable, how ever there are some things that virtual representations just do much better because they can get the gear and scenery and setting much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Is it me... or do people not want to go out to skirmish anymore? :D I know chairsofters like to eat thier lard butties and post on forums... but some of us like the mud, sweat, and burning muscles after a game :D

Interesting concept, pretty dead ended.

Well arent you the poster boy of airsoft :D

I cant afford to skirmish anymore :(

Soon......soon....
    They both shine in different areas. Realistically, it the question comes down to which is more believable to the player

I think these virtual airsoft games look awefull. I mean.....am i the only one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Play a milsim skirmish at hrta and come back and tell me some computer shyte is more believable, or enjoyable.

Hide 5 metres from your enemy in a bush hanging upside down over a ditch for 15 minutes waiting for them to pass, and tell me standing there in front of a screen is more tense.

Run up to a building on your own and try to clear it close quarters amid a large scale battle, and tell me there is more satisfaction hitting a few pixels.

I have an xbox 360 for that, and a well rounded airsoft loadout for playing the closest to the real thing when I can.

Its like replacing having a family car for convenience, and a ferrari on a test track with one souped up glanza and saying its better than either for both uses.
    Its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I thought Airsoft was the next evolution after video games.
    Boy was I wrong.

Play a milsim skirmish at hrta and come back and tell me some computer shyte is more believable, or enjoyable.

I think people need to get it out of their heads that someone would replace skirmishing with something like this, its just another aspect.

I had a an idea a while back where every player could be GPS tagged in a game and then you could call in air strikes, mortars, gas/chemical and artillery. GPS would know who was in the kill zone and signal the kills back to individuals.

You could also tag everyone and then see a replay of everyones in game positions later, useful for training or dissecting a night game.

Give it another 12 to 24 months and I think you will be able to add that element to a game using peoples phones and a custom app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

the 2 comments on the clip are funny...LOL

Hide 5 metres from your enemy in a bush hanging upside down over a ditch for 15 minutes waiting for them to pass, and tell me standing there in front of a screen is more tense.

Run up to a building on your own and try to clear it close quarters amid a large scale battle, and tell me there is more satisfaction hitting a few pixels.

I have an xbox 360 for that, and a well rounded airsoft loadout for playing the closest to the real thing when I can.

Its like replacing having a family car for convenience, and a ferrari on a test track with one souped up glanza and saying its better than either for both uses.
    Its not.
    What you've played on your xbox 360 may not be super believable, and I'm sure the current simulators are absolutely no match for skirmishing. The potential does exist for these things to be very entertaining.

But as someone pointed out, comparing the two is pointless because they're two completely different things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

that looks like a load of crap to me to be honest, i tried it in germany and although it was a bit of craic for a minute or two, it got old pretty quickly since there really wasnt any challenge involved and theres no learning curve to keep you interested. Playing on an xbox is all that needed to beat this thing. the very fact that you game against other people makes it an xbox more appealing.
    as for skill, theres very little skill involved in this thing. if it was hooked up to a real gun firing sim rounds with all the noise and recoil to deal with, then it would be interesting. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Wasent there something similer to this in Beverly Hills Cop 2,when Eddie Murphy goes into the gun club or was the something different?

Advertisement