Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AZBOX /Elite / HD / Premium

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

pissed wrote: »
    OK I have gone into network service, the only one enabled is Telnet Server, which ones should be enabled? Thanks

Can't remember, try each one in turn or try them all, password has been removed in this firmware, I recommend going back to the last one unless you really need one of the new features.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

OK I will mess about with it a bit, when you say password has been removed do you mean when using filezilla or whatever just to use th login as root and leave password blank?

pissed wrote: »
    when you say password has been removed do you mean when using filezilla or whatever just to use th login as root and leave password blank?

Yeah, it's gone completely, if you're sticking with this firmware worth logging in with Putty and changing (adding) a password.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

OK ended up going back to older firmware and all is sorted again. thanks for all the help. Now I have to set up the motor again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

Folks does anyone with an azbox premium have a motorised dish? If so could you please see if it will correctly display msnbc on telstar 12 15w via hdmi. I'm all set to buy one but no one will tell me if the above channel works.

• Advertisement

jackbauer wrote: »
    Folks does anyone with an azbox premium have a motorised dish? If so could you please see if it will correctly display msnbc on telstar 12 15w via hdmi. I'm all set to buy one but no one will tell me if the above channel works.
    I don't have a motorised system but I might be able to help, what size dish would I likely need? I'm on the East coast BTW.

you would need a 1.1m dish.

jackbauer wrote: »
    you would need a 1.1m dish.
    Ah, that's me out then!

What is the problem or likely problem? Is it just that it's an NTSC signal? I might post an another of the AZBox forums I hang around on and see if anybody can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yes some problems with other receivers with displaying NTSC pictures (Our TM6900's dont display properly)

@ slegs
    have you been able to verify correct reception of msnbc? Will buy a premium from yourself if you can confirm.

snaps the 6900 is a joke. i'm still waiting for a software update from technoturd 9 months later!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

no trading on thread. Use adverts.ie or PM only.

snaps wrote: »
    Yes some problems with other receivers with displaying NTSC pictures (Our TM6900's dont display properly)

No definitive answer for you yet but I have been told that these receivers are sold in America so looking good, will let you know more when I hear more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 grassbox

My Azbox premium will resolve the msnbc ntsc signal on Telstar 12 okay. Not sure if it transposes to pal but the image is crisp and their is no juddering. Also resolving the nbc dad feeds as well. The receiver front end seems good as my Technomate TM5500 and TM9100. Very pleased.

grassbox thanks for that. watty sorry didn't mean to break the rules!

There is an unofficial Firmware that has been leaked floating around the 'net (0.9.2238), from talking to people one of the best things is that interests me is the fact that you can now connect your USB DVD/CD drive and play files direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

So the terrestrial tuner is now available... while I'm seeing lots of news on firmware pros and cons and other more involved aspects.... any news on it meeting expectations for the more straight forward 'I want Ire & UK TV in one box with no subs' type of user????
    I'd be interested in experiences on whether EPG performs and the latest on the twin tuner operation. Have we found the holy grail of viewing DVB-T and recording DVB-S? (and vice versa!!) and a seamless viewing experience:)??

Also, if there are any shortfalls...... any confirmed plans to address them??

johndoc wrote: »
    Also, if there are any shortfalls...... any confirmed plans to address them??

Firmware is still in Beta and until a few people have the tuners in their possesion and have used them for a while we won't know what bugs there are and how quickly they will be sorted.
    Word is that Opensat (makers of AZBox) don't want to take firmware out of Beta until they have a very reliable and robust system, which is fair enough really.

As they say, watch this space...

Thanks GTG.

I'm thinking that if things are looking good in beta, then the AZBOX is worth the investment and I've no problem upgrading the firmware once Opensat anounce a 'general release' version.

So.... are things looking good? Just looking for initial reports on the twin tuner mostly and whether the record one tuner watch another has been achived yet??

johndoc wrote: »
    So.... are things looking good? Just looking for initial reports on the twin tuner mostly and whether the record one tuner watch another has been achived yet??
    I certainly think it's a worthwhile investment but that's your call.
    The extra tuners haven't appeared yet so I can't comment on what I haven't seen but I will post here as soon as I get mine or hear from a reliable source.

Ah. I'm ahead of the times... thought the tuner was out there already

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Stelph

gtg60 wrote: »
    Ok, I have achieved another of my personal goals with the AZBox, central PVR storage! Basically I have my Elite and Premium recording to the same folders on my PC's hard drive so that either box can watch what the other has recorded! :D Plus I can edit the files directly with VideoRedo, up 'til now I have been lugging the USB drive to the PC or FTP'ing them back and forth.

My NAS arrives on Monday so will set that up so I don't have to have the PC on all the time, plus it can live in the attic beside the router, out of everyone's way (high WAF!).

Hi gtg60, was wondering if you had any more feedback on how you got on
    with intergrating a NAS into your network and having the AZBox record directly onto it? were you able to get it to work? I am quite interested in having a similar setup where I would have a central NAS with a PC and the AZBox connected to it, the AZBox recording TV onto the NAS for me to access on the PC and burn to DVD if required, and my PC backing up DVD's ect so the AZBox can play them back without me having to get up from the sofa to change disks!

Plus, has there been any update on playing back Blu Rays, HD-DVD's? From what you said previously it seemed that you currently are only able to play Blu ray's that are ripped to folders by AnyDVD HD and saved onto the Hard Drive in the AZBox (and HD-DVD's currently arent supported as they have no sound), is this still the case?

Stelph wrote: »
    Hi gtg60, was wondering if you had any more feedback on how you got on
    with intergrating a NAS into your network and having the AZBox record directly onto it? were you able to get it to work? I am quite interested in having a similar setup where I would have a central NAS with a PC and the AZBox connected to it, the AZBox recording TV onto the NAS for me to access on the PC and burn to DVD if required, and my PC backing up DVD's ect so the AZBox can play them back without me having to get up from the sofa to change disks!
    Yes this is the set up I want too, after my successful experiment with both AZBoxes recording onto the PC's hard drive I never got 'round to doing any more with my new NAS only moving all my movie files to it, in fact it's still here on the floor beside the PC! My plan is to leave it in the attic so it's well out of the way. I might just experiment again with it this weekend but there's a ton of other thing's I'm playing around with at the moment and it's the fact that I don't see it as difficult is why it is getting left alone.
    Plus, has there been any update on playing back Blu Rays, HD-DVD's? From what you said previously it seemed that you currently are only able to play Blu ray's that are ripped to folders by AnyDVD HD and saved onto the Hard Drive in the AZBox (and HD-DVD's currently arent supported as they have no sound), is this still the case?
    There seems to be an improvement in Media playing in the last firmware release, it's can now do 23.976 fps mkv's which is pretty significant.
    The bandwidth limitation on ethernet and usb is still there but is expected to be lifted soon.

Yes this is the set up I want too, after my successful experiment with both AZBoxes recording onto the PC's hard drive I never got 'round to doing any more with my new NAS only moving all my movie files to it, in fact it's still here on the floor beside the PC! My plan is to leave it in the attic so it's well out of the way. I might just experiment again with it this weekend but there's a ton of other thing's I'm playing around with at the moment and it's the fact that I don't see it as difficult is why it is getting left alone.

There seems to be an improvement in Media playing in the last firmware release, it's can now do 23.976 fps mkv's which is pretty significant.
    The bandwidth limitation on ethernet and usb is still there but is expected to be lifted soon.

Thanks for the update, incidentally I assume that you are the same person as gtg60 over at AVForums who helped me with my question on a NAS that you can also access via USB drive as well? If so many thanks for all your help and for pointing me in the direction of this box! It seems to do everything that I am looking for so I have taken the plunge and bought a premium version, am now trying to decide if I want to add the Hard Drive into the device or add a NAS and do what I described above! :D

Anyway, thanks again

Thanks for the update, incidentally I assume that you are the same person as gtg60 over at AVForums who helped me with my question on a NAS that you can also access via USB drive as well?

Yep, that's me, thought you were stalking me :eek::D
    am now trying to decide if I want to add the Hard Drive into the device or add a NAS and do what I described above! :D

Why not do both? Or how about this? You could always record to the internal hard drive and then transfer the files to the PC (from the AZBox) or move them from the AZBox ( by the PC) then you wouldn't need a NAS.

You can make this as simple or as complicated as you want :D

Yep, that's me, thought you were stalking me :eek::D

Haha, no I promise im not! After you mentioned that you had switched to an AzBoz HD I thought id have a look at it, found some information on google, found this thread, posted and then thought "hang on, that name looks familier...." :D Thanks for the help!

Why not do both? Or how about this? You could always record to the internal hard drive and then transfer the files to the PC (from the AZBox) or move them from the AZBox ( by the PC) then you wouldn't need a NAS.

You can make this as simple or as complicated as you want :D

True, I may do both, I had buildt a HTPC but it was rejected by my girlfriend for being too complicated (typical), so im breaking it back down to sell, I may pull the 750GB WD Greenpower from that now and plug it into the AzBox, and later on get the NAS.

Actually received my AzBox Premium yesterday, not had a huge amount of time to play with it but so far I have been very impressed! Downloaded and installed the newest firmware I could find (0.9.2371) by downloading to my PC, unzipping and putting onto a USB stick, very easy to do. Also set up my TV channels, currently I am only using it for FTA in the UK on an old Sky Dish so have only set up the Astra 28E so far but it still found a rediculous number of channels, but I like that you can set up a favourite channel list so you can flick between only the channels that you want, may come in handy if i ever get a sky subscription to use with it (Does anyone actually watch all those channels!!!)

Youtube functionality I like very much, easy to search for videos with the remote in my opinion, although I wonder if it is possible to get Youtube HQ to stream?

Not even started to look at plugins and the like, just waiting to be allowed access to the saorTV forum where I read earlier is a good place to check out for epg's and the like.

Anyway, thanks again for pointing me in the direction of this box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 guv69

Not even started to look at plugins and the like, just waiting to be allowed access to the saorTV forum where I read earlier is a good place to check out for epg's and the like.

Good point - and reminded me my account still hasn't been activated! (From 31 May!)

guv69 wrote: »
    Good point - and reminded me my account still hasn't been activated! (From 31 May!)

Maybe try contacting them again, ive had my activation through now after about a day? Also the EPG is giving me a bit of a headache, if I have understood what has been said earlier then a feed from the freesat EPG is being worked on to be included in the firmware (hope that comes soon) so the 7 day EPG is not currently working, however at the moment im not even getting the most basic EPG (i.e. what is on and and what is on next)!

How do you download an EPG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

The DVB-T tuners appear to be available for the AZBOX now (some German sites selling these tuners and a Spanish site selling the AZBOX Premium with DVB-S/S2 & DVB-T tuners included as standard). Has anyone got an AZBOX up and running with the RTE DTT service yet?

SaorTV have a large stock of them arriving next week but there's a few samples arriving early (hopefully today) and I've been earmarked for one of these, stay tuned (if you'll pardon the pun)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 RapidResults

I've had an AZBox Premium for a couple of weeks.

It's a very ambitious piece of kit with some nice features not found on other PVRs but there are some annoying bugs/features:

1: Does not always play back programmes recorded from BBC HD.

2: If setting a recording time manually (rather than by EPG), you cannot type in the time digits, you have to scroll the time minute by minute.

3: Recordings set at '2' have a numeric file name. You can't put a name to it while you're setting the recording or afterwards. So, you end up with a bunch of recordings with numbers for names and you can't remember what they are.

4: The .ts files don't play in VLC...although they will play in 'Media Player Classic'.

5: If you've got a motorised dish and you go to the menu for scanning satillites, it moves to each one in the list as you scroll through it, rather than waiting for you to pick the one you want and then go to it.

On the positive side:

1: Nice picture quality.
    2: Channel lists presented in a very flexible way.
    3: Good enthusiast tuner.
    4: Possibly future proof.
    5: Fast transfers of files (compared to my old TopField).

Advertisement