Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AZBOX /Elite / HD / Premium

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Just a word of caution, if you bought a Premium be careful connecting up the HDD, see here:
    http://www.azboxhd.nl/InstallHDD.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

thnks for that valuable info , as i would have just done a straight forward hook up.....

cramp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭slegs

cramp wrote: »
    Just received mine today!!! much thnks slegs...
    Very nice....looking forward to playing with it..
    No manual....definitely an enthusiasts box eh!!!

Interesting hearing that the currant firmware is now buggy, what firmware would you guys recommend????

cramp

Hi Cramp,

Stick with second to last firmware 0.9.1759

Should be revised firmware next week.

very nice box to work with...

Had the wifi up in running in no time,
    you tube looks very well on it,
    browser is a little slow
    upgraded the firmware via wifi,
    scanned Astra, BBC HD seems as good as my TM6900, Installing HDD tomorrow....

cramp

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

very nice box to work with...

Had the wifi up in running in no time,
    you tube looks very well on it,
    browser is a little slow
    upgraded the firmware via wifi,
    scanned Astra, BBC HD seems as good as my TM6900, Installing HDD tomorrow....

cramp
    FW upgrades by wifi sound handy.

Interested to see how you get on installing your HDD

• Advertisement

I have a Premium now and installed a HDD yesterday, it was from a Sky HD box and was already formatted in FAT 32 so it had no problem being recognised (I have heard that new drives or ones without partitions work best). I formatted it from the AZBox and everything worked fine, am able to record to it etc.

What I was VERY impressed with was the Timeshift function, as it does it 'properly' and not only can you Pause live TV but also rewind, IMHO it handles it better than even a Sky box as it displays a nice bar showing where timeshift is available from (i.e. the point you changed to that channel), where you are watching right now and how far ahead Live TV is.
    The only thing I was a bit dissapointed about was that hitting Record whilst in Timeshift doesn't record from the memory cache like a Sky box will but then I'm sure a firmware fix will sort this out down the line, I mean how many years did Sky+ exist without this feature??

So much potential in this box, can't wait until it replaces my Sky HD box :D

The HDD was more or less straight forward...after formatting at fat32 , the AZBOX found it and for mated it but then would not recognise it....
    you have to DELETE it first!!! very strange , after that all was fine...

I have been streaming MKVs and iam having a mixed bag of results...

720p tv shows are all playing fine....
    720p bluray rips with DD are are also fine
    720p/1080p with DTS is jerky and no sound,
    the no sound with DTS i kinda expected as i would assume that its the same as the popcornhour with only DTS passthrough (no dts decoder onboard)
    the jerky playback i could put down to the streaming via WIFI...
    I assume all the other formats are fine i.e divx/dvd/mpg/wmv... i will report these when tested...
    ( i have a ISTAR HD (PCH family) to judge the above)

Is there anyway to directly access the HDD in the AZBOX to transfer/dump files via a network onto the AZBOX guys....??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 gumballz

gtg60 wrote: »
    411.jpgJust a word of caution, if you bought a Premium be careful connecting up the HDD, see here:
    http://www.azboxhd.nl/InstallHDD.pdf

Thanks for the info!

720p/1080p with DTS is jerky and no sound,

the jerky playback i could put down to the streaming via WIFI...

Apparently streaming and HD playback is currently limited to 20Mb/s, this 'bandwidth cap' was introduced for stability until the new Sigma drivers are released.

What do you use to rip your Blu-ray's and how come they are 720P?

Also, I think people use FileZilla but I haven't gotten around to trying that yet.

Definately user friendly enough to be used by most people but if you want there is so much extra you can do, yesterday I was playing around (via Telnet) with the LED's and Front Display :cool:

That might explain my jerky playback on higher bitrate files, i need to dump them directly onto the HDD...
    Yeah the LED on the front is a bit annoying as its a very bright BLUE , and its BLUE even if its in standby, when u say TELNET what do u mean??
    lets just say i dont rip my Bluray rips....

cramp

• Advertisement

That might explain my jerky playback on higher bitrate files, i need to dump them directly onto the HDD...
    Yes, limitation is in data transfer over network, both Wired and Wireless. Files play fine from internal HDD.
    Yeah the LED on the front is a bit annoying as its a very bright BLUE , and its BLUE even if its in standby, when u say TELNET what do u mean??
    This is my first Linux box and it's all new to me so bear with me, by connecting directly with the box's operating system you can control and issue commands via your PC, I use a free program called PuTTY (Google for it), once you've downloaded and ran it, enter your AZBox's IP address and select Telnet then click on 'OPEN'
    A sort of DOS window will open, enter 'root' as the login and 'azbox' as the password then you can issue commands e.g.

To turn LED's off and on just Telnet
    vfd_display -td210 -led
    (followed by)
    bon (Blue LED on)
    boff (Blue LED off)
    ron (Red LED on)
    roff (Red LED off)
    gon (Green LED on)
    goff (Green LED off)

So to turn the Blue LED off we Telnet
    vfd_display -td210 -led boff

Now to change the display we Telnet
    vfd_display -td210
    (followed by whatever we want in commas)
    So for the Display to show AZBox Premium we would Telnet
    vfd_display -td210 'AZBox Premium'

I have managed to display messages of about 30 characters long and don't worry once you change the channel it will revert back to normal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Install your HDD carefully in the premium, a member on Satpimps had their box torched by not doing it right.
    Again NOT the Azbox fault, just the user.

FileZilla is perfect for copying files from PC to AZBox as it has secure FTP and is Free.

Connect on IP address of AZBox and port 22. The default login/password for the AZbox is root/azbox

You will find the movie/pictures/music folders somewhere under the /data folder

With Filezilla you can queue up a load of files to copy from your PC and continue to use the AZBox while the copying goes on in the background.

Being experimenting with some HD movies I have (I own both Blu-Ray's and HD-DVD's) and even though there are some bugs that need ironing out I am getting some good results, these are a good indication of what the AZBox is capable of with future firmware upgrades.

Quite by coincidence I found that the AZBox can access the HD/BluRay drive on my PC directly, it can't play Blu-Ray's or HD-DVD's as these are encrypted but it can access files on a disc which is kinda cool.

Anyway, I ripped one of my Blu-Ray's to my hard drive both as an ISO and as a Rip (i.e. files and folders), the AZBox couldn't play the ISO but was able to play the Blu-Ray movie files (.m2ts) and played them but they were jerky which is caused by the known network bandwidth limitation that has been set by the developers until the new Sigma drivers are out.

I then used the AZBox's File Manager and transferred one of the .m2ts files to the internal HDD and it played perfectly.

I had heard some rumours about the AZBox's possible ability to play HD DVD's, even that connecting a XBox's HD DVD drive would work, well I tried that and it didn't work, then I tried Ripping the movie as above and neither the ISO or .evo files worked so I thought that was a dead duck, however a member on another forum suggested 'tricking' the AZBox into playing it by changing the name of the file from a .evo to a .m2ts and it actually worked! Without sound but it still actually played it so I am very pleased! :D

Hopefully quite soon I'll be able to keep all my HD DVD's and Blu-Ray's on HDD and play them from my AZBox's, looks like this machine has the potential to fulfil all my requirements of my dream system, next stop is getting it to record to a NAS so that both machines can watch what each other has recorded! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

have you tried to mount a decrypted blu ray iso (daemon tools) and then try and access it?

have you tried to mount a decrypted blu ray iso (daemon tools) and then try and access it?

I made an ISO with AnyDVD HD and it didn't work but again I am optimistic that issues like this wil be resolved in future firmware updates.

New AZBox Firmware 0.9.2032 released tonight

RELEASE NOTES

MEDIA PLAYER - GENERAL
    Support play from long url like: \\pc\\audio\3 doors down - away from the sun\3 doors down - away from the sun - 01 - when i'm gone.mp3

JUKEBOX - AUDIO PLAYER
    Increase covers size at audio-player and support jpg or bmp covers at folders
    Support m3u - winamp playlist
    Fixed some bad display (show only half picture) showing correct picture/poster from mp3 file (id3 tag)
    playing mp3 file (and i think all media contents) from long url is no possible example \\pc\\audio\3 doors down - away from the sun\3 doors down - away from the sun - 01 - when i'm gone.mp3

RECORDING
    Some fixes relating recording at HD channels
    Fix but that sometimes make impossible play contents after recording

HD CHANNELS BUFFERING
    Increase HD channels buffering for PLATAFORMA HD at 9e

SATELLITE TUNER SCAN
    keep previous positions stored at rotor (diseqc1.2)
    fixed bug of store positions at diseqc 1.2 mode, if position number is higher than 46 (box not send valid diseqc command to positioner)

AUDIO/VIDEO SETTING
    Added options panscan and pilarbox at display format

PHOTO VIEWER
    add zoom and rotate effect to slideshow

IPTV
    added - streaming (multicasting) client which can receive and play a/v content from vlc format. you can add ip channel on tv channel at setting (be careful! at moment only mpeg2ts system is supported)

OPENXCAS
    at camd setup - multicas - we change "camd script editor" to "smartcard interface"
    added option "waiting time" at openxcas config, use 'wait=digit', where digit is second on the openxcas.conf, this is useful if you are running 2 or more daemons

SOME CONSIDERATIONS:
    1) We have planned with this release launch fixes for RGB, 4.2.2. HD contents, HE-AAC audio, however for this we need switch completely SIGMA driver, at moment we need some more time to test this new driver carefully.
    We are very hard to make it work correctly on next days.
    2) TWIN TUNER DVB-S2, during last days we have seen a lot of bad information on web about twin tuner support. Azbox can PLENITY support two DVB-S2 tuners at same time. However we are rush to make receiver working more stable, recording and timeshift and PVR perfect working before finishing implementing DVB-S2 twin tuner.

Just a few things I did with my AZBox today:

1. Watched my first 4:2:2 feed
    2. Pressed a button on my remote and did a screen grab in .jpg format
    3. Downloaded the latest firmware 0.9.2032 (damn you slegs, beaten again! :rolleyes:)

Lol :)

Just downloading it now myself.....

@slegs

I cannot seem to connect to my AZBOX with either filezilla or putty....

i have tried this on 2 pcs (vista and xp)

i have entered the ip address on the azbox

192.168.2.101 (box is communicating with internet)

into server address , port is 22
    admin password
    root/azbox

and get messages like
    protocall error, wrong port etc....

any ideas

• Advertisement

@slegs

I cannot seem to connect to my AZBOX with either filezilla or putty....

i have tried this on 2 pcs (vista and xp)

i have entered the ip address on the azbox

192.168.2.101 (box is communicating with internet)

admin password
    root/azbox

and get messages like
    protocall error, wrong port etc....

any ideas

Can you ping the AZBox from the PCs?
    Are you sure you have the correct address?

As long as you are on the same network and the address is correct then FileZilla should have no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Also another program you can try.

http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

And its free :).

admin password
    root/azbox

When I use PuTTY and select Telnet it changes to Port 23 so try that...

Just found this:
    http://www.sigmadesigns.com/public/Products/selection_guide/selection_guide.html

Look under the Chip the AZBox uses (which is the SMP8634) some quite interesting specs there :D
    And a more detailed pdf below:
    http://www.sigmadesigns.com/public/Products/SMP8630/pdf_files/SMP8630_br.pdf

Ok, I have achieved another of my personal goals with the AZBox, central PVR storage! Basically I have my Elite and Premium recording to the same folders on my PC's hard drive so that either box can watch what the other has recorded! :D Plus I can edit the files directly with VideoRedo, up 'til now I have been lugging the USB drive to the PC or FTP'ing them back and forth.

My NAS arrives on Monday so will set that up so I don't have to have the PC on all the time, plus it can live in the attic beside the router, out of everyone's way (high WAF!).

As a side note I discovered that while my Premium was recording a movie that the Elite could actually access and start watching it, only up to the point where the movie was when I started playing the file though, if you know what I mean but I am hoping that I or someone else will discover a way of watching the entire movie that way, it certainly would be very handy!

Also, in the latest firmware there is now the possibility to add an IP channel and stream stuff from your PC, an exciting proposition is not only streaming movies or even tv/ sat card outputs but also webcam's! My next little project, watch this space...

I see support seems to be disappearing on certain forums.

http://www.commisat.info/forum/showthread.php/azbox-sponsorship-finished-344.html?t=344&highlight=azbox

http://azbox.hellfirenet.de/forum/index.php

Is this just because people are getting impatient or am I missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

dream multimedua are rumoured to have paid off forums to stop supporting the azbox

check the dates of the commisat link.................its Feb'08

Didnt notice the date:o, the AZbox HD developer site was active in the last day or so. Hopefully the updates keep coming. I am reasonably happy with my Elite. It works. Bugs n all :D.

pissed wrote: »
    Didnt notice the date:o, the AZbox HD developer site was active in the last day or so. Hopefully the updates keep coming. I am reasonably happy with my Elite. It works. Bugs n all :D.

When the big boys on the block (DMM) start feeling threatened by a STB that's only been out a few months then feel rest assured that you have bought into the right thing :D

Every few days I get my AZBox to do something new and revised firmware is coming along all the time, I'm perfectly happy with it, I truly believe we will have the Freesat EPG, twin tuners, DVB-T tuners and "record one watch another" VERY soon, if you follow any of the big forums who have AZBox communities you can see the groundswell of support building but I don't blame anybody who wants to wait until all of things are implemented, in the meantime I will keep reporting on the (sometimes trivial) things I have managed to do.

• Advertisement

@ slegs

I still cannot communicate with the AZBOX,

i can Ping it no prob, but cannot communicate with via Filezilla or Putty

filezilla tell iam most likely connected to the wrong port!!!
    Anything else that i could be doing wrong...

haven't done a factory reset after a firmware upgrade , that's all i can think of...

On the MKV front

i have tried a lot of mkv rips 720/1080 via an external hdd and find that there is no judder now...
    again Files with DTS have no sound via HDMI , but iam sure that there would be DTS pass through, so an external AMP will decode this..

Quality of MKV play is VERY good, but compared to 2 NMT players that i have it is not as good,(comparing to Popcorn hour 110/istar HD) and in saying that both these NMT players are VERY VERY good, home cinema PC is the best way to view MKV files

cramp

Advertisement