Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoin Morgan called up to England 20/20 World Cup Squad

Options
  • 06-04-2009 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,536 ✭✭✭✭

Strauss will miss World Twenty20
    Andrew Strauss
    Strauss led England to a one-day series win in the West Indies last week

England skipper Andrew Strauss has been left out of a provisional 30-man squad for the ICC World Twenty20 tournament.

National selector Geoff Miller said Strauss was "better suited" to Test and 50-overs cricket.

A captain for the tournament, which begins on 1 June and which England will host, will not be named until a new team director is in place.

The squad includes five players yet to be capped by England - Joe Denly, Chris Woakes, Adil Rashid and Graham Napier.

Miller praised Strauss for an "outstanding tour" of the West Indies, and said he was "focused" on the Test and ODI formats.

He continued: "The selectors have decided against naming a captain for the ICC World Twenty20 at this stage because we feel it is important to comprehensively review the recent tour of the Caribbean and seek input from all relevant parties including the incoming England team director who is yet to be appointed.

Strauss's predecessor Kevin Pietersen is sure to be one of the names in the frame, although he has already indicated he feels it is too soon for him to take on the job again after quitting as captain in January after a rift with then coach Peter Moores.

Pietersen has, however, accepted the job of skippering Royal Challengers Bangalore in the Indian Premier League, which begins later this month.

Other possibilities to lead England in the World Twenty20 would be Paul Collingwood and Andrew Flintoff, who have also led the team in the past.

Chris Woakes
    Woakes played for England in last year's Under-19 World Cup

Of the new faces in the squad, Denly and Morgan were part of the Kent and Middlesex teams which won the 2007 and 2008 domestic Twenty20 Cup competitions, and Morgan also has international experience with Ireland, while Napier's efforts for Essex have won him an IPL contract with Mumbai Indians.

Yorkshire's Rashid was part of England's squad on the tour of the Caribbean, which ended on Friday, without making an appearance, while Woakes, from Warwickshire, is the youngest member of the squad at the age of 20.

The selectors have named three wicketkeepers in the squad with Essex's James Foster, who has not played international cricket for seven years, joining Matt Prior and Steven Davies.

There are also places for 40-year-old Middlesex skipper Shaun Udal and Notts all-rounder Samit Patel, who was recently left out of the squad for the Caribbean after "failing to reach acceptable standards of fitness for international cricket".

"We have a wealth of talented players in the 30-man squad who have proved themselves adept at limited overs cricket so there are several options for the selectors to consider before reducing the squad to 15 players at the start of next month," said Miller.

"We have an encouraging blend of experience and youth in this preliminary squad including a number of uncapped players who will be eager to make their international debut at home during what promises to be an fantastic tournament in June."

England squad: K Ali, J Anderson, G Batty, I Bell, R Bopara, T Bresnan, S Broad, P Collingwood, S Davies, J Denly, J Foster, A Flintoff, S Harmison, R Key, S Mahmood, D Mascarenhas, E Morgan, G Napier, S Patel, K Pietersen, L Plunkett, M Prior, A Rashid, O Shah, R Sidebottom, G Swann, C Tremlett, S Udal, C Woakes, L Wright.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Bad news from an Irish perspective. He'd be one of the most experienced 20-20 players in the team having been involved with Middlesex.

Does this mean he can't be selected for Ireland now or can he be selected if he's dropped fom the England squad when they narrow it down?

I guess it's good news Niall O'Brien wasn't snapped up as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Marshy wrote: »
    Bad news from an Irish perspective. He'd be one of the most experienced 20-20 players in the team having been involved with Middlesex.

Does this mean he can't be selected for Ireland now or can he be selected if he's dropped fom the England squad when they narrow it down?

The latter, to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Why would we want a player with such a loose attitude to national allegiance?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,536 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Why would we want a player with such a loose attitude to national allegiance?:confused:

Not this again please. We've had the debate with Ed Joyce choosing to play for England.

Ireland do not have test status and are unlikely to get for a long time. Naturally players want to play cricket at the highest level (ie test matches) so they will play for England if selected.

Granted this squad is not a test squad, but Eoin could use it to set down a marker for a possible test squad place. No right minded Irish cricket fan would begrudge Eoin his shot at this

TrueDub wrote: »
    The latter, to the best of my knowledge.
    Good well let's hope he doesn't quite make the next cut then. ;)
    KevIRL wrote: »
    Ireland do not have test status and are unlikely to get for a long time. Naturally players want to play cricket at the highest level (ie test matches) so they will play for England if selected.

Granted this squad is not a test squad, but Eoin could use it to set down a marker for a possible test squad place. No right minded Irish cricket fan would begrudge Eoin his shot at this
    Yeah that's right, one can't blame him for aspiring to reach the top level.

That said it does leave Ireland in a difficult situation. They've had problems with the counties before though in terms of players being available.

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    Not this again please. We've had the debate with Ed Joyce choosing to play for England.

My point remains..clearly loyalty/national identity is of no relevance.

True because most cricket supporters are English anyway..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I understand why players want to reach the top level in their chosen sport but let them do that through their club.Even allowing for if he wanted to play test cricket fair enough but the icc should step in and ensure he doesn't get to play for England in the 20/20 do they want cricket to grow to outside the elite few or not?

How is cricket ever meant to develop as a worldwide sport if this sort of carry on is allowed to continue?

Anyway there is a bit of bad blood there so I'd expect Phil Simmons mightn't be too dissapointed

I'll ignore the second part of your post. The bottom line is that Irish cricket is a largely amateur set-up. We play a limited number of internationals each year and only ever a few against top opposition.

Eoin Morgan himself is a professional player with Middlesex and has been based over there now for a few years now and thus qualifies for England. Playing for them gives him the chance to fulfil his potential at the pinnacle of the game.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the best Irish players playing cricket for Ireland as opposed to England but in truth the game here just isn't developed enough yet for that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Would you have the same attitude towards someone who goes abroad to find work?

Because he is incredibly talented and adds a lot of value to the team.

• Advertisement

randomer wrote: »
    Would you have the same attitude towards someone who goes abroad to find work?

How is working abroad that the same as:-

a. Wearing a English (or whatever) national jersey;
    b. Adopting/standing/singing a foreign National anthem;
    c. Effectively turning your back on the country you were born and raised for personal profit and glory.

I can fully appreciate the desire to play at the very top but its just a bit depressing that someone (and of course I dont know him personally) can trade their nationality like a commodity. It think this come under the definition of a mercenary.

For me, it doesnt say a lot about the moral fibre of the person.

How is working abroad that the same as:-

a. Wearing a English (or whatever) national jersey;
    b. Adopting/standing/singing a foreign National anthem;
    c. Effectively turning your back on the country you were born and raised for personal profit and glory.

I can fully appreciate the desire to play at the very top but its just a bit depressing that someone (and of course I dont know him personally) can trade their nationality like a commodity. It think this come under the definition of a mercenary.

For me, it doesnt say a lot about the moral fibre of the person.

You are entitled to your opinion, you are wrong, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Making comments about the moral fibre of people whom you do not know is completely wrong, and is out of order.

Both Eoin and Ed are professional cricketers. They do not have the opportunity to ply their trade in their home country as there is not a market here for their skill set. Therefore they have both moved to England to play in the english county championship.

The next step in their career progression is test cricket. Unfortunately Ireland do not play test cricket, and for these guys to make the step to the next level requires them to play for England.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Lads,

Seriously, don't feed the troll.

You are entitled to your opinion, you are wrong, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Making comments about the moral fibre of people whom you do not know is completely wrong, and is out of order.

Both Eoin and Ed are professional cricketers. They do not have the opportunity to ply their trade in their home country as there is not a market here for their skill set. Therefore they have both moved to England to play in the english county championship.

The next step in their career progression is test cricket. Unfortunately Ireland do not play test cricket, and for these guys to make the step to the next level requires them to play for England.

How am I wrong? and this is no troll and saying that I am trolling is worthy of an infraction.

So why do they not try to bring Ireland up to international test cricket standard by playing for Ireland thereby setting an example for youngsters playing cricket in Ireland? Would that not be honourable and right thing to do...probably but thats no good for the bank account which is what it all comes down to and that is depressing.. Irish cricket has no chance if this continues.

If I was lying on my deathbed I know what would give me more satisfaction...helping to develop cricket in Ireland and doing the very best for my country for the good of Irish cricket or selling out to a another country for personal glory and fame.

Sorry if this is harsh..but its the truth even if nobody else wants to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,042 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Is there anybody that actually knows anything about cricket that is completely opposed to this?

It sucks, but Ireland are never going to be a test team, and it's completely unfair to ask players to limit themselves to county cricket if they're capable of playing at international level.

The only thing I can think of is to change the rules for Irish players playing for England, so that they can easily switch back if they don't make it. Maybe a year after their last game for England they're eligble for Ireland again. Although actually making it easier for Irish players to decide they want to play for England, it would enable Ireland to reclaim them traitors that went off to play for the enemy.

Look at all the talented Irish sportsmen and women throughout the years who never made it to World Cups, Olympic medals etc because the team was not good enough or the funding was not there..but they stood by their country and sacrificed personal fame and glory...

What if Johnny Giles, Liam Brady decided to play for England because they qualified for every World Cup...or Mary Cullen or Sonia O'Sullivan declared for the US because of better funding..therefore better chance fo Olympic medals...or if Brian O'Driscoll the entire Munster front 5 moved to England because they would have a better chance of winning medals at the rugby world cup??

Where would Irish Rugby or soccer or Irish sport be then? Nowhere.

Best of luck to the 2 lads and I hope they get what they want...I just cant understand how they can look at themselves in the mirror with their English jersey on.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭loosecannon

i know this probably isn't the best idea and wouldn't go down well from any perspective but what about the possibility that he is allowed to play test cricket for england but whilst Ireland remain a ODI status side he plays his ODI & 20/20's for Ireland

i know there is flawed logic behind it but I would be interested to see what Partyguinness thinks of that considering Ireland will almost certainly never play test cricket (on a slight sidenote, this would at least ensure that Ireland get their very best XI out in all the major tournaments! - also sidenote this idea will never ever happen!)

also fwiw it's a complete no brainer decision for lads like Ed & Eoin who I have no doubt have immense pride in wearing the Irish cricket jersey, it is literally the only way they will ever play at the very top level.....even if my above idea came to pass Ireland currently play around 5-10 competive ODI's a year whereas England would play up to 100 days of competitive cricket a year inc all test,ODI's & 20/20's

I'll give two comparisions to help prove my point - a rugby player from Northern Ireland who feels he is British and does not want to play for a team called Ireland therefore never getting to play international rugby
    or a Basketballer from Ireland representing the United States in the Olympics & World Championships despite being 100% Irish he has played in the NBA for a few years and qualified to play for the USA - despite feeling hugely Irish, Ireland's basketball team never have (or never will as far as I know) play in an Olympics etc so this is his only chance

comments partyguinness?

So why do they not try to bring Ireland up to international test cricket standard by playing for Ireland thereby setting an example for youngsters playing cricket in Ireland?

:confused: Johnny Giles, Liam Brady and Sonia O'Sullivan???

They all left Ireland in order to further their career, and I applaud them for doing this.

Also, Sonia O'Sullivan is a bad example for your argument; try reading this article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/4645982.stm

:confused: Johnny Giles, Liam Brady and Sonia O'Sullivan???

They all left Ireland in order to further their career, and I applaud them for doing this.

Also, Sonia O'Sullivan is a bad example for your argument; try reading this article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/4645982.stm

I think you missed my point..yes of course they went abroad and nothing wrong with that whatsoever but they didnt play or represent their adopted countries (Sonia O'Sullivan accepted but that doesnt detract from my point generally and I think injury ruled her out anyway).

I just have issues that they (Ed & Eoin) are setting a bad example for Irish cricket.

"Oh well, the standard in Ireland is not good enough, sure we can just play for England." I just dont like it.

Sure I have a very black and white attitude but surely you should play the cards you are dealt with i.e. play for Ireland even if this is a lower standard.

The rugby analogy re being from NI and not wanting to play for Ireland...important to note that there is no British Rugby team...to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,042 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

"Oh well, the standard in Ireland is not good enough, sure we can just play for England." I just dont like it.

It's not that the standard isn't good enough, it's that the standard doesn't exist, and never will. Until you realise and admit that nobody on this forum is going to pay any attention to anything you have to say on this matter.

• Advertisement

I think you missed my point..yes of course they went abroad and nothing wrong with that whatsoever but they didnt play or represent their adopted countries (Sonia O'Sullivan accepted but that doesnt detract from my point generally and I think injury ruled her out anyway).

I just have issues that they (Ed & Eoin) are setting a bad example for Irish cricket.

Sure I have a very black and white attitude but surely you should play the cards you are dealt with i.e. play for Ireland even if this is a lower standard.

The rugby analogy re being from NI and not wanting to play for Ireland...important to note that there is no British Rugby team...to play for.

It is not a matter of being a lower standard. It is a different sport.

Ireland do not play test cricket. They are an associate country rather than a full test playing nation. If Ireland played test cricket and these guys chose to play for a better team then your argument may have a small bit of merit. They don't and it doesn't.

Do you have any comments about Trent Johnston, Andre Botha et al?

It's not that the standard isn't good enough, it's that the standard doesn't exist, and never will. Until you realise and admit that nobody on this forum is going to pay any attention to anything you have to say on this matter.

Why then are you quoting me if nobody is paying any attention?:confused:

Is it beacuse I am the only one who refuses to ignore the elephant in the room?

Why then are you quoting me if nobody is paying any attention?:confused:

Is it beacuse I am the only one who refuses to ignore the elephant in the room?

Dude, you are three years too late! This was all discussed before when Ed first got called up to the England squad.

You have to realise that comparing cricket and soccer is not compairing apples with apples. Test cricket is a restricted sport. Ireland do not compete in test cricket. Therefore if the guys want to compete at the top level, which many believe test cricket is, then they have to play for another country.

It is not a matter of being a lower standard. It is a different sport.

Ireland do not play test cricket. They are an associate country rather than a full test playing nation. If Ireland played test cricket and these guys chose to play for a better team then your argument may have a small bit of merit. They don't and it doesn't.

Do you have any comments about Trent Johnston, Andre Botha et al?

TBH I do and my stance is no different from Eoin & Ed..but I dont want to start that debate. I guess I have a more staunch attitude when it come to representing ones country and that is not going to change so we are getting nowhere. I have made my points on the matter.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Ireland do not play test cricket.

Just want to get clarification about this. I don't know a lot about Cricket in Ireland, but I thought during the last World Cup that the advantage of Ireland getting to the Super 8s, and beating other Test Teams ( Pakistan and Bangladesh if I remember correctly ), is that we'd then get to play Test cricket? If so, shouldn't we be now playing Test Cricket?

J.

jasonb wrote: »
    Just want to get clarification about this. I don't know a lot about Cricket in Ireland, but I thought during the last World Cup that the advantage of Ireland getting to the Super 8s, and beating other Test Teams ( Pakistan and Bangladesh if I remember correctly ), is that we'd then get to play Test cricket? If so, shouldn't we be now playing Test Cricket?

J.

It was One Day International status rather than test status.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Ah, I see! Thanks for clearing that up! So, have Ireland played many ODIs since the World Cup?

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

I also am quite new to the game, only started to watch cricket since the World Cup, and have been watching it very often since,

so excuse the question I am about to ask :D,

but how can England just call up a player that is born in Ireland and have him play for the English?,

and being in a competition that Ireland also are involved in, and if he plays for the English does that make him inegible for Ireland for the next 3/4 years?...

Cremated wrote: »
    I also am quite new to the game, only started to watch cricket since the World Cup, and have been watching it very often since,

so excuse the question I am about to ask :D,

but how can England just call up a player that is born in Ireland and have him play for the English?,

and being in a competition that Ireland also are involved in, and if he plays for the English does that make him inegible for Ireland for the next 3/4 years?...

The same way Ireland can "just call up" a player who was born in England, or Australia or South Africa etc.

http://in.yimg.com/icccricket/pdfs/player_eligibility.pdf

I believe it is four years after the last appearance for their adopted country they can play for their original country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Thanks for clearing that up, so we could call Kevin Pietersen up if we wanted?, or am I picking what you said up wrong :)...

Advertisement